Jets Lounge 2: Dark Helmet is Lone Starr's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Very sad to see the Bay go but like others have said it was inevitable. If they put the building to better use that’s fine and probably better

did they ever fix that escalator in there? Thing was broken for years

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Very sad to see the Bay go but like others have said it was inevitable. If they put the building to better use that’s fine and probably better

I believe the answer is "no". It's been a couple of months since I've been there but it wasn't working last time I was in.

Reactions: snowkiddin

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm looking for a degreasing hand cleaner I used many years ago but can't remember what it was called. It came in dry granular form, kind of an orangey-pink colour and you would put some in your hands with a small amount of water to create a scrubbing paste. I think it had a combination of pumice and lanolin. Anyone remember this? Maybe it's not even made anymore. It was pretty rough on the skin and maybe fell out of favour when gentler products came along.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I'm looking for a degreasing hand cleaner I used many years ago but can't remember what it was called. It came in dry granular form, kind of an orangey-pink colour and you would put some in your hands with a small amount of water to create a scrubbing paste. I think it had a combination of pumice and lanolin. Anyone remember this? Maybe it's not even made anymore. It was pretty rough on the skin and maybe fell out of favour when gentler products came along.

Gunk.

Honestly not sure if it's available in Canada anymore. It's available in the UK.

Granville | Product Information

Another that I have used is called : Goop

Goop Hand Cleaner and Laundry Stain Lifter Remover (Pack of 2) 14 oz Waterless Non-Toxic and Biodegradable Removes Grease Grass Tar Blood Paint Dirt Mud | Walmart Canada

Last edited:
Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Permatex® Fast Orange® Fine Pumice Lotion Hand Cleaner

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

To further answer the question, I went to the Bay downtown today at lunch. Nope, elevator is not now fixed.

Kinda sad being in there and they've already started moving most of the merchandise out. Relatively little left on the second floor at this point aside from furniture and bedding, the rest is crammed onto the main floor. Assume they shipped most of it to the Polo/St. V stores logically.

But I paid my nostalgia visit so I'm done with it now. I'm guessing it'll get absorbed by the U of W for pennies on the dollar. Hopefully they preserve the outside of the building at least.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Downtown Hudson's Bay store is closing in February 2021.

Hudson’s Bay to close downtown Winnipeg location

Amazon Warehouse coming to Winnipeg Airport.

A trillion-dollar e-commerce giant has chosen to build and operate a new delivery centre in Winnipeg.

On Monday, the provincial government confirmed Amazon’s plans to build a 113,000-square-foot warehouse inside the Inkster Industrial Park, just northeast of Winnipeg’s airport.

Winnipeg selected for new Amazon delivery centre

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Has anyone used Costco Optical for glasses? Just wondering if their quality is good, I have a pretty strong prescription

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Has anyone used Costco Optical for glasses? Just wondering if their quality is good, I have a pretty strong prescription
My wife did once years ago and wasn't all that pleased. But I'm talking 5 or so years back now. She hasn't gone back to give them another shot. Are they better? Who knows but that's the limited input I can give.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

If you have Netflix, I would strongly urge you to take the time to watch The Social Dilemma.

I don't think it's quite as "shocking" as some reports are suggesting but it's well worth watching regardless. It confirms much of what I've thought for a long time and why I largely eschew social media.

More importantly it does a very good job of illustrating how the information you're looking for isn't really meant to inform you fully, rather it's meant to reaffirm what you already believe, regardless of what your views on things may be. I don't think the intent is truly evil but it does illustrate rather nicely that algorithms don't have any compassion or ability to evaluate nuance whatsoever.

Reactions: Gm0ney and Jets 31

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
In other news, is anyone looking for an air hockey table? It's pretty nice and certainly very sturdy (as in it weighs a ton). Manufactured by Harvard, it measures 4x7 so it takes up some real estate. Four paddles, a bunch of pucks. Would trade for a 12 pack of TCB Avenger. But you have to move it out of my basement. It comes apart, but the body is heavy. Not in perfect condition as the rail is bent slightly on one side, but some superglue and a clamp would likely fix that easily enough. I can send you pictures if you're interested.

Also have the McFarlane Hansen brothers figures from years ago. They're still in packaging but the plastic has yellowed. Figures inside are in great shape. LMK if you have any interest in those.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
My wife did once years ago and wasn't all that pleased. But I'm talking 5 or so years back now. She hasn't gone back to give them another shot. Are they better? Who knows but that's the limited input I can give.

That's enough for me to pass

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

If you have Netflix, I would strongly urge you to take the time to watch The Social Dilemma.

I don't think it's quite as "shocking" as some reports are suggesting but it's well worth watching regardless. It confirms much of what I've thought for a long time and why I largely eschew social media.

More importantly it does a very good job of illustrating how the information you're looking for isn't really meant to inform you fully, rather it's meant to reaffirm what you already believe, regardless of what your views on things may be. I don't think the intent is truly evil but it does illustrate rather nicely that algorithms don't have any compassion or ability to evaluate nuance whatsoever.

We watched it the other day, thought it was excellent.

Reactions: Jets 31

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

Don't know if I'll get round to watching it, but as educator however, the bolded is definitely of interest.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
To further answer the question, I went to the Bay downtown today at lunch. Nope, elevator is not now fixed.

Kinda sad being in there and they've already started moving most of the merchandise out. Relatively little left on the second floor at this point aside from furniture and bedding, the rest is crammed onto the main floor. Assume they shipped most of it to the Polo/St. V stores logically.

But I paid my nostalgia visit so I'm done with it now. I'm guessing it'll get absorbed by the U of W for pennies on the dollar. Hopefully they preserve the outside of the building at least.
This will probably be a pretty long post so apologies.

I'm surprised the Downtown Bay held on as long as it did. The past couple times I've been there it was basically completely empty. No customers at all. It probably should've closed when Eaton's did.

It makes sense that they would be so dead. Downtown is just not a good place for shopping now. I know there're plans for Portage Place to be revitalized but I would not be surprised if that closes in the next decade or so. Once foot traffic left downtown in the '80s, the Bay's days were unfortunately numbered. When Walmart and other American retailers came in, that was a blow to them for sure. But even if you want Bay stuff — it makes much more sense to just drive 15 minutes down the road to the Polo Bay location, where you don't have to pay for parking or fight traffic. Or just order online.

IIRC The Bay offered the third floor to the U of W for free a few years ago and they declined because it would've been too costly to renovate into classrooms. The problem is, the Bay was built in an different era. It was designed to basically be six department stores stacked on top of each other, and not much room for it to become anything else. The building literally has a value of $0. It needs new heating, plumbing, etc. and there's asbestos everywhere in the building. It costs way too much to renovate.

So that's the first problem. The next issue is with the Bay leaving there's going to be no tenants. No one will want to buy it or rent it. Some people think Staples might move there from across the street, at least then they'd be able to keep the lights on in that building, but I don't see it.

The building is protected too as a heritage site by the city of Winnipeg. Nothing can be done to the outside and IIRC it has pretty extended protection on the inside too. Any developer who wants to buy the Bay will have a lot of issues. First, even if they get the property for free, they'll have to spend millions just to get renovated. But they'll have to fight with the city over the heritage status. A lot of stuff can't be changed in the building which limits it further. Some people think condos could be an option, but again, the building wasn't really designed for it and the downtown market for condos might be oversaturated with what True North is doing along with the residential towers in Portage Place. The U of W could move there, but they can't really afford it. I think it would be neat if they put a museum about the Hudson Bay Company on one of the floors, but unless it's really good, no one will want to go see it.

So what's likely to happen is the building will get boarded up and abandoned, and just sit there for decades because it can't be torn because of it's heritage status, and no one will buy it because it costs too much to renovate.

Full disclosure, I was born long after The Bay's heyday, that store has been in decline since I was born, but I'm sad to see it go. It's a huge part of our city's history.

Also, I'm surprised Eaton's was destroyed. I know the building was ugly (I think what's saving The Bay is the unique architecture) but I personally think it was more significant than even The Bay. It was older, more successful and a bigger part of Winnipeg culture.

Reactions: buggs

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I'm surprised the Downtown Bay held on as long as it did. The past couple times I've been there it was basically completely empty. No customers at all. It probably should've closed when Eaton's did.

It makes sense that they would be so dead. Downtown is just not a good place for shopping now. I know there're plans for Portage Place to be revitalized but I would not be surprised if that closes in the next decade or so. Once foot traffic left downtown in the '80s, the Bay's days were unfortunately numbered. When Walmart and other American retailers came in, that was a blow to them for sure. But even if you want Bay stuff — it makes much more sense to just drive 15 minutes down the road to the Polo Bay location, where you don't have to pay for parking or fight traffic. Or just order online.

IIRC The Bay offered the third floor to the U of W for free a few years ago and they declined because it would've been too costly to renovate into classrooms. The problem is, the Bay was built in an different era. It was designed to basically be six department stores stacked on top of each other, and not much room for it to become anything else. The building literally has a value of $0. It needs new heating, plumbing, etc. and there's asbestos everywhere in the building. It costs way too much to renovate.

So that's the first problem. The next issue is with the Bay leaving there's going to be no tenants. No one will want to buy it or rent it. Some people think Staples might move there from across the street, at least then they'd be able to keep the lights on in that building, but I don't see it.

The building is protected too as a heritage site by the city of Winnipeg. Nothing can be done to the outside and IIRC it has pretty extended protection on the inside too. Any developer who wants to buy the Bay will have a lot of issues. First, even if they get the property for free, they'll have to spend millions just to get renovated. But they'll have to fight with the city over the heritage status. A lot of stuff can't be changed in the building which limits it further. Some people think condos could be an option, but again, the building wasn't really designed for it and the downtown market for condos might be oversaturated with what True North is doing along with the residential towers in Portage Place. The U of W could move there, but they can't really afford it. I think it would be neat if they put a museum about the Hudson Bay Company on one of the floors, but unless it's really good, no one will want to go see it.

So what's likely to happen is the building will get boarded up and abandoned, and just sit there for decades because it can't be torn because of it's heritage status, and no one will buy it because it costs too much to renovate.

Full disclosure, I was born long after The Bay's heyday, that store has been in decline since I was born, but I'm sad to see it go. It's a huge part of our city's history.

Also, I'm surprised Eaton's was destroyed. I know the building was ugly (I think what's saving The Bay is the unique architecture) but I personally think it was more significant than even The Bay. It was older, more successful and a bigger part of Winnipeg culture.

Rent it out for movies and TV. Think of all the shows that have used a dept store for scenes. It's a blank canvas for a production company to come in and setup the store to their specifications.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Great, informative post, thanks.

I didn't realize that the heritage restrictions applied within as well. No doubt the renovations would be expensive, each floor is just a warehouse with an elevator in the middle and an escalator at one end. Stairs only from 1 to 2 at the other end.

My memories of which store is more important is heavily skewed by my mother working off and on at the Bay in the finance department. So I was always a Bay guy anyway. I do agree though that the Bay's architecture is the defining aspect that has kept it around so long. Eaton's may have been more successful at one point but their decline was rapid. I still have some furniture we bought in 1997 at the Warehouse outlet by the airport - top quality stuff.

GrassyKnoll

Feb 3, 2015
I can't believe nobody's mentioned anything about the fact that one of the all-time greatest guitarists that ever lived, is no more. Eddie Van Halen died on Tuesday, at age 65, after a battle with cancer.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/eddie-van-halen-cancer-death-1.5752615

There must be a few guitarists here, and even if you're not, you couldn't help having your mind blown when you first heard this:

A true innovator and a trailblazer and a rock n' roll legend, if there ever was one. Simply one of the greatest musicians ever.

RIP Eddie:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad