Jets Lounge 2: Dark Helmet is Lone Starr's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This is why I think J. Michael Straczynski's Babylon 5 was the best sci-fi series ever, or at least would have been if the studios hadn't thrown a bunch of uncertainty his way starting with the 4th season. Unlike the usual "let's just make this **** up as we go along" approach to episodic television, JMS had a complete 5-year story arc planned out from the beginning, and wrote almost all of the episodes himself. Interestingly, JMS was one of the first to interact with fans online, and he regularly had to admonish his fan base not to publish their fan-fiction episodes because they might have plot points that paralleled his and then the whole issue of possible plagiarism lawsuits might rear its ugly head.

Great explanation!! thx

In shows like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Peaky Blinders, they seemed to start out with the end in mind and they have a consistent vision with a set time about how things are going to wind down. I can see how easy it would be to screw up Star Wars given your detailed explanation. I have missed most episodes (Movie's) so I don't need them to flow together or be coherent from a story line perspective. If I consume the product it is on a stand alone basis with zero knowledge of how it fits the larger puzzle. With that as the backdrop they are usually a bit meh for me.

Breaking Bad was being made up as they went along. The creator Vince Gilligan openly admits that, he said they would have a big moment such as that gun in the trunk of the car or that plane crash in one of the season opener without any plan for how to pay it off, he said he trusted his writers enough to come up with a way to explain it later and preferred the spontaneity. I am pretty sure The Wire was being made up from season to season.

Planned everything from the beginning == good, isn't automatically true in my view and the Breaking Bad example shows that. In TV it's very hard to have a "5 year plan" and doggedly follow it considering how many variables there are at play (actor availability, actor chemistry, budget, production schedules and so on).

Reactions: ps241

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I thought Star Wars was an awful movie but still entertaining.

The writing was bad, there was little resemblance of a plot or character development, but the events were still cool to watch. If you shut your brain off and just go with the flow it is still enjoyable but the more you think about it the worse it is.

Reactions: Ducky10

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Breaking Bad was being made up as they went along. The creator Vince Gilligan openly admits that, he said they would have a big moment such as that gun in the trunk of the car or that plane crash in one of the season opener without any plan for how to pay it off, he said he trusted his writers enough to come up with a way to explain it later and preferred the spontaneity. I am pretty sure The Wire was being made up from season to season.

Planned everything from the beginning == good, isn't automatically true in my view and the Breaking Bad example shows that. In TV it's very hard to have a "5 year plan" and doggedly follow it considering how many variables there are at play (actor availability, actor chemistry, budget, production schedules and so on).

One example of where that didn't work out optimally was Game of Thrones IMO.

Last edited:

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Not sure if anyone has mentioned how good the Witcher series on Netflix is since I just started reading this thread from the last page? But if not I'll mention how I thoroughly enjoyed it. If anyone has read the books then you will know they are following the books not the games which take place after the books. Ive read all the books and thought the Netflix adaptation did a very good job of staying true to Sapkowski's writings. Yes they made some changes but thats expected as TV adaptations tend to do that for time constraints and flow but overall I enjoyed it very much. When I first heard Henry Cavill was set to play Geralt of Rivia I was skeptical but he nailed it, his size and attire was spot on and the voice was on point, to me he was Geralt as I envisioned him. Some of the supporting characters like Frangilla I thought was a mis-cast but really they are minor nuances. I'm very excited for season 2 to start which unfortunately won't be until next December or so.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Not sure if anyone has mentioned how good the Witcher series on Netflix is since I just started reading this thread from the last page? But if not I'll mention how I thoroughly enjoyed it. If anyone has read the books then you will know they are following the books not the games which take place after the books. Ive read all the books and thought the Netflix adaptation did a very good job of staying true to Sapkowski's writings. Yes they made some changes but thats expected as TV adaptations tend to do that for time constraints and flow but overall I enjoyed it very much. When I first heard Henry Cavill was set to play Geralt of Rivia I was skeptical but he nailed it, his size and attire was spot on and the voice was on point, to me he was Geralt as I envisioned him. Some of the supporting characters like Frangilla I thought was a mis-cast but really they are minor nuances. I'm very excited for season 2 to start which unfortunately won't be until next December or so.

I watched Witcher over Xmas and really liked it. I had nothing to compare it to as I hadn't played the games or read the book. Cavill is such a damn good actor.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I watched Witcher over Xmas and really liked it. I had nothing to compare it to as I hadn't played the games or read the book. Cavill is such a damn good actor.
I liked him as the bad guy in the last Mission Impossible , thought he did a good job . Not really related but man i can't wait for the new James Bond movie . :nod:

Reactions: Afterburner

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

"Toss a coin to your Witcher...."

The best covers of 'Toss a Coin to Your Witcher' | PC Gamer

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Oh Man I have been under mountain at work and just found out Neil Peart passed away after a battle with Cancer.

I am devastated by this news. RIP professor #GOAT

Reactions: Jets 31 and chaos4

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Oh Man I have been under mountain at work and just found out Neil Peart passed away after a battle with Cancer.

I am devastated by this news. RIP professor #GOAT
Nooooo! Rush has been my favourite band since their very first album back in the 70s. I've seen them in concert 4 (or 5?) times and each and every show left me amazed, especially with Neil's drumming. I guess I'll stop hoping for one more tour now. Sad sad day indeed. RIP Neil :(

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Nooooo! Rush has been my favourite band since their very first album back in the 70s. I've seen them live 4 or 5 times (basically every chance I got) and each and every show left me amazed, especially with Neil's drumming. I guess I'll stop hoping for one more tour now. Sad sad day indeed. RIP Neil :(

The saddest of sad days, I don't admire to many people but not only was he a master of his craft and he did things his way but he was genuine person. Keep on drumming time keeper. As an aside there has been some rumours lately that Geddy and Alex have the itch and that Mike Portnoy ex of Dream Theater would get behind the kit, I really don't know how to feel if this happened.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah I posted about Witcher earlier. Really enjoyed it. Hopefully the Amazon guys will do as good a job on the Wheel of Time show.

Sad news about Peart. Didn't even realize he was battling cancer ☹️

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The saddest of sad days, I don't admire to many people but not only was he a master of his craft and he did things his way but he was genuine person. Keep on drumming time keeper. As an aside there has been some rumours lately that Geddy and Alex have the itch and that Mike Portnoy ex of Dream Theater would get behind the kit, I really don't know how to feel if this happened.

Not sure if you saw this year today:

Former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy paid tribute to Neil Peart, “one of my greatest heroes of all time,” following news of the Rushdrummer’s death Friday.
“Neil Peart will always be a mentor and a hero to me and his influence on me as a drummer for the past 40 years is absolutely impossible to measure,” Portnoy wrote.
“But beyond that, over the past 15 years or so, he’s become a friend…always such a gentleman and a gracious host. Always inviting me to come to soundcheck and spend some time before the show whenever Rush was passing through.”
A co-founder of prog-rock act Dream Theater, Portnoy has long proclaimed that Peart was his biggest drumming influence. In 2004, Portnoy became the second-youngest person to enter the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame; Peart remains the youngest-ever inducted, receiving the honor in 1983.

Reactions: bustamente

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Watched the whole season of The Witcher. I tried but it lost me. Every episode just seem to be, “ok, now who the f*** is that person “? Lol.

Also, I can’t stand when actors insist on that hoarse, throaty, overly dramatic delivery.

And don’t get me started on that Bard, f***ing shoot me. o_O

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah the episodes jump around time line wise so can/could be confusing to some. They don't really say anything about it. And I agree the bard was the worst part of the first season imho.

Reactions: Ducky10

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Mike Portnoy on Dream Theater's early stuff like Images and Words is definitely channeling Peart.

I really can't see Lifeson/Lee out there without Peart though. Plus Portnoy is already in 20 bands. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Mike Portnoy on Dream Theater's early stuff like Images and Words is definitely channeling Peart.

I really can't see Lifeson/Lee out there without Peart though. Plus Portnoy is already in 20 bands. :laugh:

It’s hard for me to imagine unless it’s a one off tribute to Neil’s greatness type thing with lots of different musicians and acts paying homage? When John Bonam died Zep was done, he was irreplaceable but then eventually his son Jason played with the band for one gig and it was amazing. I could see that one day possibly but it would have to be for the right reason.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Had to take my fiancé to the hospital the other night as she was having real bad cramps from her endometriosis. She fainted at work. They said at the hospital she did not have a miscarriage. Well she got a call this morning that it was a miscarriage. It had only been a few weeks too. She had no idea she was pregnant but she had been rather loose with her birth control lately. Not sure what to think right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad