Post-Game Talk: Jets lose 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
One of these games Matty P has to score, is what I keep saying to myself, but it's not happening for him right now and may never again.

Mp is a great player, But I think he's one of the players the jets should look to move.

Sucks because I think he like a being here, But he costs too much and he can help fill some holes by trading him

Jets can't be trading away young players like ehlers or Connor to keep him on the team

Reactions: Deedog99 and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Or Chipman can spend some of his expansion money and make some upgrades to the cooling system. Thought they upgradedd the ice plant back in 2011, sure can’t tell! I’m mean it’s Winnipeg, coldest city in the world with a rink with the worst ice!

Well we could hire some drunks off Main Street who need a couple bucs, and dig a long tunnel, under MTS place. Set up some fans outside and blow in that -minus 20 C degree outside air under the ice --that should harden it up.

The poor benefit and Chipman does it cheaply, and saves some bucs $$$ -- we kill 2 birds with 1 stone that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
Anybody else in the live thread feel like an idiot when you hit refresh?:doh::dunce::laugh:
tenor.gif

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
So the last game against the Blues ... Laine had 5 goals ... Little 4 assists so what changed?
Oh that’s right PoMo decide to breakup the line and put Elhers on it to prove a point.

I don't know why he did that

He left the Laine little mp line to dry
But he keeps switching those 2 lines when they seemed to be working

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I am surprised that no one has brought this up yet:
Teams have figured out our PP.
We MUST make adjustments-more movement & dynamics is required.

couple of things I noticed on the PP tonight -

We don't do well on the PP against good face off teams
We don't do well against teams that take away Wheelers time and space
We don't do well against teams that block Laine's shot (a lot).
PP#2 has no plan - they just wing it

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
couple of things I noticed on the PP tonight -

We don't do well on the PP against good face off teams
We don't do well against teams that take away Wheelers time and space
We don't do well against teams that block Laine's shot (a lot).
PP#2 has no plan - they just wing it

I agree the second unit has no structure or plan at all. It shouldn't be hard to construct a second unit and give them some set plays and a cohesive structure.

Reactions: LowLefty

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I am surprised that no one has brought this up yet:
Teams have figured out our PP.
We MUST make adjustments-more movement & dynamics is required.

It's obvious teams are plugging up that middle seam pass from Wheeler to Scheif, or to Laine. It's not working right now.

I think the Jet's should use their back end to score now--Trouba, Morrissey, and I really like Myers on the PP.

We need to change up now, and use our back end guys to score.

Reactions: Saintb

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Imgur isn't working, so stats are in the picture attached to the post.

• Didn't really catch most of the game, but by all accounts it seemed pretty boring and the Blues played a defense-first game, and Allen bailed them out when that didn't work. Jets had 36 CF but only 22 FF (as in, Blues had 14 blocked shots) during 5v5 play, and the Blues probably had double the amount of blocked shots on the penalty kill.
  • The Jets power play, usually an unstoppable force, was just pretty plain boring tonight after the third power play with 0 shots on goal on the ensuing three power plays. The opposing team got into a groove and hovered beside Scheifele all night and forced Wheeler to play more quickly, which is the correct way to stop the Jets' power play if you're not going to use Connor in any way, shape, or form other than retrieving missed shots behind the net. I would've liked to see a little wrinkle to utilize Connor more as a passer from behind the net rather than dish it off to Wheeler or Laine to and have them reset there, or do what they did in the past and have Laine take Scheifele's spot for a different look, but the PP1 dominated all the 5v4 minutes tonight and have nothing to show for it, which isn't great at all.
No time for line-by-line, so I'll point out a couple of things I saw:
  • I think this was the first game I was truly disappointed by Niku tonight. It wasn't that he didn't play assertive or pushed people into the boards that many people wish him to be (read: he's not), but he just looked... bored? There were a couple of times I noticed that Trouba retrieved the puck, passed to Niku, and Niku seemingly waited for pressure on Trouba to be relieved before passing back to him to skate back up the ice. It was like he was asked to play safer and decided to not play at all instead.
  • Myers had no clear gaffes and was on-point offensively tonight! I wish we had more of this, and honestly his pass from high right to low left to Scheifele should have been a shot and in, but Scheifele tried to settle the puck instead and never actually got it settled. Otherwise, pretty solid all-around game from the player I most often am pointing out for his wrongdoings.
  • Kulikov was solid as well but obviously rusty. Fingers crossed he has no further complications of getting back to game speed because he's needed to stabilize that LHD in place of Morrow or Chiarot.
  • Trouba missed Morrissey a little more tonight than he did the previous.
  • In 5v5 play, the Connor-Little-Laine line generated ~6 CF - of which one came from Kyle Connor (or Ehlers when he was on the line). Defense didn't get it to the forwards, nor did the forwards make plays to take the shots themselves. They've gone from red hot to ice cold in the matter of games and that's frightening.
  • Lemieux had his first good game as a Jet, but Petan should still be in...

Attachments

• 12-07-2018.png
    12-07-2018.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 20

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Mp is a great player, But I think he's one of the players the jets should look to move.

Sucks because I think he like a being here, But he costs too much and he can help fill some holes by trading him

Jets can't be trading away young players like ehlers or Connor to keep him on the team

I agree -MP is good, hustles hard, but really can't score anymore. For a guy that's paid $ 4.5 mil per year --we can do way better. He should be at $ 1.5 to 2 mil per year-"tops" IMO.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
We need to change up our system a little bit. It's like the opposing team can read our plays so easily and know exactly what to do when playing against us. It's what has been happening these past four games.

Good game other than the Parayko goal.

Reactions: sipowicz

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

I agree -MP is good, hustles hard, but really can't score anymore. For a guy that's paid $ 4.5 mil per year --we can do way better. He should be at $ 1.5 to 2 mil per year-"tops" IMO.

His offsides are just so... bad lately.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Imgur isn't working, so stats are in the picture attached to the post.

• Didn't really catch most of the game, but by all accounts it seemed pretty boring and the Blues played a defense-first game, and Allen bailed them out when that didn't work. Jets had 36 CF but only 22 FF (as in, Blues had 14 blocked shots) during 5v5 play, and the Blues probably had double the amount of blocked shots on the penalty kill.
  • The Jets power play, usually an unstoppable force, was just pretty plain boring tonight after the third power play with 0 shots on goal on the ensuing three power plays. The opposing team got into a groove and hovered beside Scheifele all night and forced Wheeler to play more quickly, which is the correct way to stop the Jets' power play if you're not going to use Connor in any way, shape, or form other than retrieving missed shots behind the net. I would've liked to see a little wrinkle to utilize Connor more as a passer from behind the net rather than dish it off to Wheeler or Laine to and have them reset there, or do what they did in the past and have Laine take Scheifele's spot for a different look, but the PP1 dominated all the 5v4 minutes tonight and have nothing to show for it, which isn't great at all.
No time for line-by-line, so I'll point out a couple of things I saw:
  • I think this was the first game I was truly disappointed by Niku tonight. It wasn't that he didn't play assertive or pushed people into the boards that many people wish him to be (read: he's not), but he just looked... bored? There were a couple of times I noticed that Trouba retrieved the puck, passed to Niku, and Niku seemingly waited for pressure on Trouba to be relieved before passing back to him to skate back up the ice. It was like he was asked to play safer and decided to not play at all instead.
  • Myers had no clear gaffes and was on-point offensively tonight! I wish we had more of this, and honestly his pass from high right to low left to Scheifele should have been a shot and in, but Scheifele tried to settle the puck instead and never actually got it settled. Otherwise, pretty solid all-around game from the player I most often am pointing out for his wrongdoings.
  • Kulikov was solid as well but obviously rusty. Fingers crossed he has no further complications of getting back to game speed because he's needed to stabilize that LHD in place of Morrow or Chiarot.
  • Trouba missed Morrissey a little more tonight than he did the previous.
  • In 5v5 play, the Connor-Little-Laine line generated ~6 CF - of which one came from Kyle Connor (or Ehlers when he was on the line). Defense didn't get it to the forwards, nor did the forwards make plays to take the shots themselves. They've gone from red hot to ice cold in the matter of games and that's frightening.
  • Lemieux had his first good game as a Jet, but Petan should still be in...

Some of this is addressed to me so I thought I would clarify what I meant by it. By assertive I mean for him to start using his talent to dictate the play. As you mentioned he tended to wait and defer or stand around. He needs to be skating with the puck, jumping up into the play, closing on people quickly and then turning the play quickly back up the ice. Those traits are his bread and butter and none of them were on display tonight. He is a puck mover/rusher and he isn't doing enough of it.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We f***ing totally embarrassed the Blues last time and made them look like bums.

They never forgot and they came to play tonight while Jake Allen stood on his head at an unsustainable level to shut us out.

We are still the better team just not tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad