Jets goaltending discussion (part 3)

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Average. Has been more prone over the last 2 years to not come out of the crease a whole lot.

Congrats though guys. Got yourself a hell of a goalie. This is my favorite highlight of him. (And worst highlight of defense)

Thank you for your feedback flyersfan. It's appreciated from all of us. And thanks. We need an upgrade in net.

EDIT: Wow. That's indeed quite the highlight reel saves!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I also think that the starter job should not be handed to Mason. The Jets should platoon Helle and Mason until one of them wins the job. Helle deserves another shot at winning over the starter position this season

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I also think that the starter job should not be handed to Mason. The Jets should platoon Helle and Mason until one of them wins the job. Helle deserves another shot at winning over the starter position this season

I don't think Mason would sign here as an UFA without some assurance that he will start the season as #1. Why does Bucky deserve an equal shot at it? His ineffective play is the reason we have to dive into the free agent pool in the first place. He has to work on his game, and demonstrate in the games he is given that he is progressing into a consistently top calibre goalie. Then maybe we can talk about his challenging for #1. Unless Mason craps the bed repeatedly, in which case we are in some serious trouble.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't think Mason would sign here as an UFA without some assurance that he will start the season as #1. Why does Bucky deserve an equal shot at it? His ineffective play is the reason we have to dive into the free agent pool in the first place. He has to work on his game, and demonstrate in the games he is given that he is progressing into a consistently top calibre goalie. Then maybe we can talk about his challenging for #1. Unless Mason craps the bed repeatedly, in which case we are in some serious trouble.

Where else exactly would Mason sign then? Seems like he's run out of options with all the rumoured signings

I think he's been told he will be given a fair opportunity to compete for the #1. He probably likes his chances.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Where else exactly would Mason sign then? Seems like he's run out of options with all the rumoured signings

I think he's been told he will be given a fair opportunity to compete for the #1. He probably likes his chances.

Come on he is not signing here to compete for the starters role. He's was promised x anount if games as long as he didn't crap the bed. Probably 50 games minimum. Wont he get up close to 4 million. They would never pay that to someone who would be fighting for a starters job.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I doubt any guarantees were necessary. Mason can see the opportunity and the money. He felt it was his best option.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
They didn't sign Mason to platoon with Hellebuyck. Mason will be the #1 goalie in fact. Hellebuyck won't be rushed to play a lot of games like the fiasco of last year.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
I said it since the beginning of last season that Helle has no business being a starting goalie in this league. He is, at best, a backup goalie. Unless he shows significant improvement he should start at maximum 15 games...mostly in back to back situations. I would like to see Mason get 67 starts....so Helle will end up playing around 20 games (15 as starter, 5 when Mason gets pulled).

Winnipeg is a good 5 on 5 team, Mason is an elite 5 on 5 goalie... if Maurice keeps this team disciplined and focused I dont see why the Jets cant compete for the division title this season.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I doubt any guarantees were necessary. Mason can see the opportunity and the money. He felt it was his best option.

I expect them to run Mason out quite regularly but I also expect Hellebuyck to play quite a bit. I doubt anything was promised and if Mason gets outperformed things could change.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I expect them to run Mason out quite regularly but I also expect Hellebuyck to play quite a bit. I doubt anything was promised and if Mason gets outperformed things could change.

Jets didnt pay 4 million for a platoon situation. Mason should get 60 games.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah I think Mason will get around 55-60 games if he's playing well. Helle gets the rest.

Puck Hawerchuck

Jan 8, 2014
St Vital
I said it since the beginning of last season that Helle has no business being a starting goalie in this league. He is, at best, a backup goalie. Unless he shows significant improvement he should start at maximum 15 games...mostly in back to back situations. I would like to see Mason get 67 starts....so Helle will end up playing around 20 games (15 as starter, 5 when Mason gets pulled).

Winnipeg is a good 5 on 5 team, Mason is an elite 5 on 5 goalie... if Maurice keeps this team disciplined and focused I dont see why the Jets cant compete for the division title this season.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Hellebuyck has dominated every level he has played INCLUDING outplaying Rinne as the world championship goalie of the tournament two years ago.

If Myers didn't get hurt last year we don't even have this conversation.

Montreal fans thought Halak was better than Price in 2010 as well. A little patience and a complete overhaul of our PK to a high pressure system will do wonders for our goalies.

You'll see...

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

and how exactly is Helly supposed to show "significant improvement" in playing on a constant high level if you only play him 15 games a season?

:dunno:

to others: I really doubt Mase is gonna play that much. How is Helly supposed to reach any high level of consistancy when he only plays 15-20 games?

It's not gonna be 50-50 but I doubt Mason gets more than 60-65% of the games. That would be 50-54 games for Mason and 28-32 games for Helly.

Last edited:

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
and how exactly is Helly supposed to show "significant improvement" in playing on a constant high level if you only play him 15 games a season?

to others: I really doubt Mase is gonna play that much. How is Helly supposed to reach any high level of consistancy when he only plays 15-20 games?

It's not gonna be 50-50 but I doubt Mason gets more than 60-65% of the games. That would be 50-54 games for Mason and 28-32 games for Helly.

I don't know about 15 games, per se, but the idea is that you have longer stretches of practicing punctuated by games. This way Helle can finally get the reps in that he needs in order to actually change some things, while also being able to test those changes out in real-world situations. Consistency is built through practice.

The flip side of this is that if we're going to make anything of Mason, Helly will need to take a clear and obvious back seat. Mason plays best when he goes for long stretches and showed in Philly that he struggles when switching back and forth more regularly.

I for one think this would be good for both Helle's development as well as the team's chances of getting into the playoffs next year. I also think this could be accomplished with a 70-30% game share.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea if Mason returns to form I expect him to play 50-55 games if Helly struggles it could reach 60. If Mase is getting clearly outplayed by Helly by Christmas is where it might get interesting. I would like to see them establish a routine until Late November though to give Mason and Helly a full chance to settle into a rhythm.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
well according to a hockey writers article just posted mason should get 30 or 35 games this year and be a somewhat iffy backup for hellebuyck.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
well according to a hockey writers article just posted mason should get 30 or 35 games this year and be a somewhat iffy backup for hellebuyck.

Yeah of course, why wouldn't you pay 4.3M to a goaltender that plays 30 games. Who needs to give a something about money anyway.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Chevy...

"I think we should focus on the now. These deals were about the now," he said. "We’ve got a fantastic guy we feel has been a No. 1 and is a No. 1 in the NHL, and is ready, willing and excited to help push the Jets forward."

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
You don't pay a UFA goalie 4 mil for to be a 1b... if Helly is lights out during the year he could move mason into that role... but Mason starts as the #1 with about 50ish games if he pans out IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad