Jets goaltending discussion (part 3)

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
A great interview! Beware that he actually credits Flaherty with his improvement. Watching this video may challenge some preconceived notions. :laugh:

I don't like talking about this because I know so little about this subject, but he absolutely does not credit Flaherty with his improvement.

He got a new strength coach, Adam Francilia, and they covered something that seems to be absolutely crucial to his success. So according to Helle, Flaherty is doing a great job, but for some reason this one crucial aspect of training has not been taught before.

I'm not an expert in this field so my opinion is of limited value, but for the layman it does pose the question of "why was this covered just now?".

Last edited:

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
but a strength coach isn't a goalie coach... he learned how to physically move and strengthen his body so better to apply the instructions given by flaherty.

I can't believe I'm defending flaherty.... but then again I know sweet F all when it comes to goaltending and to an even lesser extent coaching.

Once again its only crow on the menu I get to choose from this year! LOVING IT! I thought eating crow was supposed to be punishment

Reactions: Jimby

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So it appears like the Jets will return Hutch to the Moose after tonight's game?

He hasn't been replaced in the AHL Allstar game AFAIK. Financially he would get an 11.5% raise for a few days since he won't pay escrow on his salary while assigned

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
but a strength coach isn't a goalie coach... he learned how to physically move and strengthen his body so better to apply the instructions given by flaherty.

I wasn't there so I can't say for sure, but I think Helly's summer coach did more than that.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

I can't believe I'm defending flaherty.... but then again I know sweet F all when it comes to goaltending and to an even lesser extent coaching.

Once again its only crow on the menu I get to choose from this year! LOVING IT! I thought eating crow was supposed to be punishment

So Flaherty just did not know that it was important?

I can accept two scenarios:

1) this is highly specific to the individual known as Hell Boy a.k.a. Connor the Barbarian

2) this is highly new to the goalie coaching field as a whole

I will also accept

3) something else, but not something stupid

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
In the video Helly says the summer coach taught him which muscles to use and the correct way to move. Flaherty taught him about positioning, hugging the post, glove hand etc.

I wasn't there so I can't say for sure, but I think Helly's summer coach did more than that.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A great interview! Beware that he actually credits Flaherty with his improvement. Watching this video may challenge some preconceived notions. :laugh:

Good interview. He gives Flaherty quite a lot of credit. May have to lay off of him for a while. :laugh:

Reactions: Jimby

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I'm willing to accept that Flaherty is an excellent goalie coach, who had an oversight on this very important matter.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Good interview. He gives Flaherty quite a lot of credit. May have to lay off of him for a while. :laugh:

I'm willing to accept that Flaherty is an excellent goalie coach, who had an oversight on this very important matter.

I don't like talking about this because I know so little about this subject, but he absolutely does not credit Flaherty with his improvement.

He got a new strength coach, Adam Francilia, and they covered something that seems to be absolutely crucial to his success. So according to Helle, Flaherty is doing a great job, but for some reason this one crucial aspect of training has not been taught before.

I'm not an expert in this field so my opinion is of limited value, but for the layman it does pose the question of "why was this covered just now?".

Turns out both viewpoints were correct. This came out yesterday in a Lebrun penned Athletic article.

LeBrun: How Connor Hellebuyck went from unknown NAHL invite...

It appears Bucky wasn't the only Jet that spent time with Alpha Hockey last summer.

Jets goaltending coach Wade Flaherty attended the same NET360 camp in Kelowna, learning the same methods & taking the same training literally at Hellebuyck's side.

"I guess that helps a lot too because you’re learning this together. Now, not only that but when something seems to falter he was right there when we were building it up. So we know exactly how to fix it.” - Connor Hellebuyck

Unlike NHL teams & coaches that are against skills coaches influencing their players development, Jets went to the opposite extreme and embraced it. In Bucky's case bringing all their existing insight into his game to Alpha Hockey.

"I think that gave Connor a lot of peace of mind because people were working together in communicate and not individually.’’ -Adam Francilla.

The results speak for themselves this year.

EDIT:

On a secondary note, I went looking for this sticky thread on Hellebuyck. Too often new comments regarding a player are simply made in the last thread his name was mentioned. I saw no need to bump the Hellebuyck contract thread yet again on another unrelated matter.

Sticky threads should be used more!

Last edited:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Turns out both viewpoint were correct. This came out yesterday in a Lebrun penned Athletic article.

It appears Bucky wasn't the only Jet that spent time with Alpha Hockey this summer.

Jets goaltending coach Wade Flaherty attended the same NET360 camp in Kelowna, learning the same methods & taking the same training literally at Hellebuyck's side.

"I guess that helps a lot too because you’re learning this together. Now, not only that but when something seems to falter he was right there when we were building it up. So we know exactly how to fix it.” - Connor Hellebuyck

Unlike NHL teams & coaches that are against skills coaches influencing their players development, Jets went to the opposite extreme and embraced it. In Bucky's case bringing all their existing insight into his game to Alpha Hockey.

"I think that gave Connor a lot of peace of mind because people were working together in communicate and not individually.’’ -Adam Francilla.

EDIT:

On a secondary note, I went looking for this sticky thread on Hellebuyck. Too often new comments regarding a player are simply made in the last thread his name was mentioned. I saw no need to bump the Hellebuyck contract thread yet again on another unrelated matter.

That Athletic article on Hellebuyck was an excellent read. It also made me rethink my previous attitudes toward Flaherty.

I also enjoy Connor's interviews, he uses almost no hockey cliches, seems to have wit and is just cool as ice. Nothing seems to rattle him now.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Turns out both viewpoint were correct. This came out yesterday in a Lebrun penned Athletic article.

It appears Bucky wasn't the only Jet that spent time with Alpha Hockey this summer.

EDIT:

Good post Fonz. Interesting that Flaherty attended the same training. I would likely never have known that otherwise.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Would the Jets have any interest in bringing Montoya back as a 3rd string goalie for the 2018-19 season? Probably wouldn't cost much at all to trade for him - someone like Kostalek or Nogier.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Now that the Jets won't be re-signing Hutchison (presumably) and have released Phillips, their goalie depth is as follows:

Hellebuyck
Mason
Comrie
Berdin

Will the Jets do anything further with their goalie depth - sign a guy for the Moose to be 3 or 4 on the depth chart? I could see the Jets signing someone like Sateri.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Now that the Jets won't be re-signing Hutchison (presumably) and have released Phillips, their goalie depth is as follows:

Hellebuyck
Mason
Comrie
Berdin

Will the Jets do anything further with their goalie depth - sign a guy for the Moose to be 3 or 4 on the depth chart? I could see the Jets signing someone like Sateri.

Hillier said on 1290 the other day that Berdin will see time with the Moose this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see him above Comrie in the depth chart before long.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hillier said on 1290 the other day that Berdin will see time with the Moose this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see him above Comrie in the depth chart before long.
I like his talent, but a goalie has to be solid and technically consistent these days. The heydays of Battlin' Billy Smith and Mike "The Popcorn King" Palmateer are long gone. Berdin is going to need to settle his game down a bit, I think.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
AHL clubs often have 2 guys splitting the workload in net. It's developmental, so you don't need to play 50-60 games - 30 or 40 starts each is fine.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Now it's:

Hellebuyck
Comrie
Berdin

Are the Jets going to re-sign Hutchison to back-up Hellebuyck? There are plenty of other options worth considering.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Now it's:

Hellebuyck
Comrie
Berdin

Are the Jets going to re-sign Hutchison to back-up Hellebuyck? There are plenty of other options worth considering.

They have to get an experienced NHL backup. Going into the season with a depth chart like that is a road fraught with peril.

Reactions: Heldig

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
They may still bring back Mason, he was put on waivers. They can sign him for $1 million. I hope it's someone else like Khudobin, Bernier or Ward

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
They may still bring back Mason, he was put on waivers. They can sign him for $1 million. I hope it's someone else like Khudobin, Bernier or Ward
We know already that Bernier goes to Detroit, Ward goes to Chicago, Carter Hutton goes to Buffalo.
Khudobin won't re-sign with the Bruins because they were apart on money. Don't know if he's a candidate.
We've likely burned the bridge to Hutchinson.
Crazy Eyes Lehner might be too expensive.
The rest of the UFA market looks dire -- Halak, Pavelec, .902zek, Chad ".OchoNueveTres" (formerly Ochocinco) Johnson. Maybe we could bring Lehtonen back for the Thrashers crowd.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
They may still bring back Mason, he was put on waivers.

We need a man with a head on his shoulders a nose that is simply divine
Hollywood smile and a perfect profile and with eyes that would sparkle and shine

i

;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There are always plenty of great backup options for cheap. Now that we know we have a legit #1 in Helly, it makes finding a good backup to play 25 or so games easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->