Post-Game Talk: Jets get demolished in home opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Hey man, if anything the boys in the jets room will understand that getting crushed in a season opener can happen to anyone. Pick up your socks and come back with a better effort.

Reactions: Shaibu

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm sorry, but Buff was working well outside the gameplan there. That was not some sort of "man" coverage.

Sigh. So what is Buff supposed to do? Drop back to be a nice screen along with Perreault? I've explained exhaustively why he made the right play. Explain to me why he is was out of position and what defensemen are supposed to do when a guy walks up the wall?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Sigh. So what is Buff supposed to do? Drop back to be a nice screen along with Perreault? I've explained exhaustively why he made the right play. Explain to me why he is was out of position and what defensemen are supposed to do when a guy walks up the wall?
He could have switched off with Perreault, it's not out of the realm of possibility. Actually if you look at the play, it appears for a split second that's what Perreault expected to happen. I'm not blaming Buff but as a D in a man coverage situation, it's not that normal for them to go chasing guys up that high. Perreault still should have picked up Nylander, he did initially but let him go. It was a poor play.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
He could have switched off with Perreault, it's not out of the realm of possibility. Actually if you look at the play, it appears for a split second that's what Perreault expected to happen. I'm not blaming Buff but as a D in a man coverage situation, it's not that normal for them to go chasing guys up that high. Perreault still should have picked up Nylander, he did initially but let him go. It was a poor play.

How does switching off a guy make a difference here? Good teams don't use LD, RD, C, LW, RW. They use X1, X2, X3, X4, X5. Being overly constrained by "positions" is a recipe for disaster. You have to be able to rotate into proper spots. In facts what's happening here as the LW is playing the "C" spot, the RD is playing the "LD" spot, the C is playing the "LW" spot, and the LD is playing the "RD" spot. If Perreault wanted to switch as plays moves up he needs to communicate that if he feels it'll be better, but I fail to see how it does in this case. Just because a player is listed somewhere does not mean they should be rigidly in spots.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
How does switching off a guy make a difference here? Good teams don't use LD, RD, C, LW, RW. They use X1, X2, X3, X4, X5. Being overly constrained by "positions" is a recipe for disaster. You have to be able to rotate into proper spots. In facts what's happening here as the LW is playing the "C" spot, the RD is playing the "LD" spot, the C is playing the "LW" spot, and the LD is playing the "RD" spot. If Perreault wanted to switch as plays moves up he needs to communicate that if he feels it'll be better, but I fail to see how it does in this case. Just because a player is listed somewhere does not mean they should be rigidly in spots.
I didn't say anything about players being constrained by positions, rotation is my exact point in fact. Players being in a spot that best suits the team doesn't mean being rigid, defensive responsibility is always fluid but that doesn't mean you don't want your best players in certain situations, playing certain roles. Perreault appeared to want to rotate off of Nylander and pick up Matthews as he came up the wall, perhaps he didn't communicate that, perhaps he just expected it to happen. Regardless he blew the coverage and was clearly confused as to what his responsibility was. I don't think there is much arguing Buff is much more effective to have down low, without suggesting that is where he has to be as defined by his position all of the time. 5 man defensive units aren't a hard concept but teams still play with certain positional strengths.

For the record, I don't think rotating in that position would have done any good, and I said as much a couple of times. It just appeared to me that's what Perreault seemed to be confused by, not saying he should have been.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I didn't even remember how depressing it could be to watch these games :\

That was one horrible, horrible display of effort. How can it even be possible to be absolutely destroyed like that when practically your entire roster is healthy & at disposal. A roster that in paper looks to be one of the best in the league, in my opinion anyway. It seemed like there was no damage control in place when things started going south. Been watching a lot of KHL lately and enjoyed it a lot, and now after just one game of NHL, the only thing you can think of is how the heck did that happen.

Thought to myself this team was in for the playoffs no questions asked, but now I'm starting to second guess that. No point pointing finger at the main architect at every single thread though, getting tired of it. Lets just see how the next game looks like.

googleIsMyFriend

Dec 6, 2016
Little late to the party... First 15 mins Jets were dominating team but i knew that they will lose because they didn't score at that time. Jets are still too young and impatience team to handle hard times. However, i'm not worried. They will improve during this season.

However, depth is an issue. We lack players like Komarov, Marleu and Kadri. They were dominating line. Our 3rd line was good, but the 4th line sucks badly.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Wasnt happy watching the game but then remembered that I somehow drafted Marleau, Nylander and Marner in fantasy ( I was working night of draft and it auto'd). Was mad at first but Ill take that production.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
By comparison, letting in 7 goals> letting in 10 goals. I feel vindicated and hopeful

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
By comparison, letting in 7 goals> letting in 10 goals. I feel vindicated and hopeful

It does highlight how a one game sample especially in the first week of the season is not a very good prediction if what the future holds.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Next coach should be Dr Jordan Peterson and he would be yelling "get your act together" in the dressing room before every game

Reactions: ERYX

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

JMO but as well, the difference is that the team that let in 10 goals (Pittsburgh) is a Stanley Cup winner so people might be more inclined to believe this was just a bad game, where the team that let 7 goals ( Winnipeg ) has really had no success , so this potentially could be the norm.

I need better results to see some hope.

Reactions: leer2006

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Toronto is a good team don’t kid yourself and WELL COACHED
We got a dose of humble pie.
That’s not always a bad thing either.

Not as good as Chicago tho
Would rather lose to Chicago in that style than a lesser team

Seen enough of this, year after year

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Not as good as Chicago tho
Would rather lose to Chicago in that style than a lesser team

Seen enough of this, year after year

If the Jets chart had looked like this I'd be much more concerned.

IMG_3478.jpg

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Pittsburgh just got smashed in their home opener...does this help bring things into perspective?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Pittsburgh just got smashed in their home opener...does this help bring things into perspective?

They lost 5-4 in OT in their home opener. That's hardly getting smashed. Last nights game was a B2B with travel involved. The game was in Chicago so it was also in a different time zone.

Nov 24, 2006

Yes and no.

As someone above said, the Pens have won two Stanley Cups in two years. The get a free pass once in a while.

The Jets on the other hand? The have been a mediocre team for a bunch of years, with the same systemic issues year after year. No more free passes.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Yes and no.

As someone above said, the Pens have won two Stanley Cups in two years. The get a free pass once in a while.

The Jets on the other hand? The have been a mediocre team for a bunch of years, with the same systemic issues year after year. No more free passes.

It's one game though.

Nobody on these boards doubts Winnipeg's lineup. And none of the goals were Mason's fault...yet I'm seeing allot of poison slung his way.

It takes time for a goalie to gel with the defense. Certainly more time than preseason allows.

I'm guilty of teasing and trash talking on the Jets and Laine but that's all in fun. All that aside, this is a playoff contending team. And they will make the playoffs this year.

I'd bet my avatar on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna