Post-Game Talk: Jets get demolished in home opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Pittsburgh just got smashed in their home opener...does this help bring things into perspective?
Pittsburgh is yet another team who potentially represents four points in the standings to the Jets, and that's just about it. Them struggling against other teams should not be a distraction that draws attention away from the blatantly obvious issues this team has.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It's one game though.

Nobody on these boards doubts Winnipeg's lineup. And none of the goals were Mason's fault...yet I'm seeing allot of poison slung his way.

It takes time for a goalie to gel with the defense. Certainly more time than preseason allows.

I'm guilty of teasing and trash talking on the Jets and Laine but that's all in fun. All that aside, this is a playoff contending team. And they will make the playoffs this year.

I'd bet my avatar on it.

I disagree. He looked lost out there. He wasn't tracking the puck very well.

Post game Mason himself said he wasn't good enough.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ
Nov 24, 2006
It's one game though.

Nobody on these boards doubts Winnipeg's lineup. And none of the goals were Mason's fault...yet I'm seeing allot of poison slung his way.

It takes time for a goalie to gel with the defense. Certainly more time than preseason allows.

I'm guilty of teasing and trash talking on the Jets and Laine but that's all in fun. All that aside, this is a playoff contending team. And they will make the playoffs this year.

I'd bet my avatar on it.

I'm not blaming Mason here, though he was far better in the pre season. I'm saying the issues that led to that 7-2 atrocity the other night have been around a long time for the Jets. Blown assignments, defensive lethargy, predictable PP. That's kind of our thing now.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I disagree. He looked lost out there. He wasn't tracking the puck very well.

Post game Mason himself said he wasn't good enough.

Well I wouldn't fault him for the first 3-4 goals. He did make a great save early on Marleau but confidence is a thing for me and once the third went in...his confidence was shot.

It's not much different than Andersen for us struggling early on last year and our fan base wanting his neck. But he signed a huge contract in that summer which forced Babcock to thankfully stick with him. It takes time to as a goalie to read what your defense is going to do, and for your defense to understand what your new goalie wants.

I still think Mason has a real shot of being "the guy"

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not blaming Mason here, though he was far better in the pre season. I'm saying the issues that led to that 7-2 atrocity the other night have been around a long time for the Jets. Blown assignments, defensive lethargy, predictable PP. That's kind of our thing now.

Andersen doesn't stand on his head early on and you pot a goal or two and this is a completely different game.

Would you agree with that?

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Exactly. At least four of the seven (2,3,4,6, possibly 1) goals against were primarily due to abhorrent defensive breakdowns by skaters more than either Mason making a clear mistake or the Leafs playing a situation extremely well.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Well I wouldn't fault him for the first 3-4 goals. He did make a great save early on Marleau but confidence is a thing for me and once the third went in...his confidence was shot.

It's not much different than Andersen for us struggling early on last year and our fan base wanting his neck. But he signed a huge contract in that summer which forced Babcock to thankfully stick with him. It takes time to as a goalie to read what your defense is going to do, and for your defense to understand what your new goalie wants.

I still think Mason has a real shot of being "the guy"

Not tracking the puck is on him. On Nylanders goal he was still defending the wrong side of the net. Would he have saved it if he moved? Who knows. But no chance if you don't even react to the pass. My lander double clutched and still had a completely wide open net. Is that goal on Mason? He sure made it easy for the shooter.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Not tracking the puck is on him. On Nylanders goal he was still defending the wrong side of the net. Would he have saved it if he moved? Who knows. But no chance if you don't even react to the pass. My lander double clutched and still had a completely wide open net. Is that goal on Mason? He sure made it easy for the shooter.

Sure but then why was Nylander all alone at the side of the net? So I'd give him partial blame on one goal. Was he being screened by his own player? Were his defense men not allowing him the chance to see the puck? How did he lose track of it? Communication is key, and he and his defense will get there.

It's a team game.

I'd be more concerned if he let in bad angle shots, flubbed one or let in something from the red line. But he did none of that. He did look like he started to play deeper in the net as the game progressed, but that's likely due to a lack of confidence in your defense handling their assignments.

This is all just my opinion as to what I watched Andersen go through last year. And the Jet's d is waaaayyy better than what the Leafs had last year and eventually they worked it out.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Andersen doesn't stand on his head early on and you pot a goal or two and this is a completely different game.

I completely agree. The Jets were absolutely dominating for the first 15 minutes. I remarked at the time that if they didn't score, the game would probably turn. Hockey's funny that way. Conversely, I think that if the Jets had gotten an early goal or two, the game could have gone completely the other way.

My main concern in the game was that I thought some of the Jets' top forwards looked a bit leg-weary half-way through the game. It was typical of how the Jets looked early in the past couple of seasons. I might be completely off base, but I still think that Maurice's training camps take a lot out of the team and they come into the season a bit flat because of that.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I completely agree. The Jets were absolutely dominating for the first 15 minutes. I remarked at the time that if they didn't score, the game would probably turn. Hockey's funny that way. Conversely, I think that if the Jets had gotten an early goal or two, the game could have gone completely the other way.

My main concern in the game was that I thought some of the Jets' top forwards looked a bit leg-weary half-way through the game. It was typical of how the Jets looked early in the past couple of seasons. I might be completely off base, but I still think that Maurice's training camps take a lot out of the team and they come into the season a bit flat because of that.

Maybe Paul pushed them too hard during camp...that's totally possible.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Maybe Paul pushed them too hard during camp...that's totally possible.

Maybe just the old team psyche kicked in.

Oh not again. We don't deserve this. Players tried to do too much ... to cheat for offense. To try to get it back too quickly.

The way they played after the Leafs scored on the PP. those last 5 minutes of the 1st is what cost them the game IMO.

Nov 24, 2006

Quite possibly.

The Jets often have a letdown after we score 1 or 2. After the Jets scored their first, Toronto scored 26 seconds later. 26 seconds. This can be a very frustrating team to watch.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I find it amusing that most people are saying that it's only one game...but it has been one game for how many years under PoMo's tuterage...listening to the players saying they have 81 more games to make up for this one bad loss and then the coach voicing a sense of urgency regarding the defensive play( we will doing this for the rest of the season if they don't learn to play defensively at a higher level), I have to wonder if there is a disconnect between the 2.... one saying we have all the time in the world and the other saying we need to learn or else....where was the urgency 4 years ago? I am staring to believe the players are not buying into PoMo's system of defensive play, especially if the vets are making errors on basic simple hockey plays.

I remember some of the rhetoric from last season after 20 games, some of the players were saying it was still early; then come Jan., there was still plenty of time and then end of Feb., saying they were only a few points out of a playoff spot....I still hear some of the same from the players after just one game. I can't see this team being above .500 after 10 games with the confusion in the defensive zone after how many years.

Reactions: Board Bard

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
All teams use a hybrid system. It's how defending in at high levels is done. No one does straight one or the other, it's a hybrid that emphasizes rotations and reads. It's how it's done. This idea that on goal #3 half the team is doing one thing, half the other is ridiculous. They are playing basic defense, but most notably two players failed in their reads the weak side winger and Perreault.
Now call into the Big Show and explain this to Westwood. But talk slow.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
What kills me is the fact that the Key areas the Jets have repeated difficulties are all DIRECTLY ON THE HEAD OF THE HEAD COACH AND STAFF. PP,PK, and D zone coverage.

I often think that Trouba wants out because he knows, after having come from a grade A program in Michigan, what a horrible system PoMo is using.

Reactions: Board Bard

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
What kills me is the fact that the Key areas the Jets have repeated difficulties are all DIRECTLY ON THE HEAD OF THE HEAD COACH AND STAFF. PP,PK, and D zone coverage.

I often think that Trouba wants out because he knows, after having come from a grade A program in Michigan, what a horrible system PoMo is using.

I've thought for a while that Trouba's biggest problem being here might very well be Maurice. First Maurice anchors him to Stuart. That would be enough on its own for a guy with Trouba's ego. But underlying that, how much respect can Trouba have for Maurice, the Plug Whisperer? And if you extrapolate that, how much respect can he have for Chevy, the guy who is keeping Maurice around?

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K
Nov 24, 2006
I've thought for a while that Trouba's biggest problem being here might very well be Maurice. First Maurice anchors him to Stuart. That would be enough on its own for a guy with Trouba's ego. But underlying that, how much respect can Trouba have for Maurice, the Plug Whisperer? And if you extrapolate that, how much respect can he have for Chevy, the guy who is keeping Maurice around?

:laugh: :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba was one of the best defensemen in the NHL last season. Maurice might not be helping him, but it's hard to argue that he's really held him back in his development. He's very good.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Plug Whisperer. Lol

Pretty sure Michigan isn't known for its systems and more for letting guys free will almost too much.

Reactions: Unholy goalie

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
It does highlight how a one game sample especially in the first week of the season is not a very good prediction if what the future holds.
The problem is it's not one game. It's a track record shown by players and coaches over a year or two or more leading up to this one game. If the Jets won the Cup last year or won their division or even made the Fn playoffs we might be able to lean in that. This coach, this group have shown to be the same for a much longer than a single game. They need to show that they're changed before before they deserve any benefit of any doubt. And up until this point they have got a ton on rope with what I think is a large majority of fans who have believed in the process. I don't know if there is a fan base as forgiving as Jet fans for our return. The players have haved changed, this team is still the same from year one to seven.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The problem is it's not one game. It's a track record shown by players and coaches over a year or two or more leading up to this one game. If the Jets won the Cup last year or won their division or even made the Fn playoffs we might be able to lean in that. This coach, this group have shown to be the same for a much longer than a single game. They need to show that they're changed before before they deserve any benefit of any doubt. And up until this point they have got a ton on rope with what I think is a large majority of fans who have believed in the process. I don't know if there is a fan base as forgiving as Jet fans for our return. The players have haved changed, this team is still the same from year one to seven.

As far as I'm concerned it is just a single game. Last season and the one before are irrelevant and there was a severe overreaction on this board. The first 2-3 weeks of the season are usually nothing like the rest. It happens every year. It's not like we were severely outplayed in that game. We were outscored. If we were outplayed as badly as the score I'd be concerned

If we're something like 1-9 after ten games then we have a problem but I don't expect that.

The Jets fan base is no different than any other. I'm not sure where this idea comes from

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
If the Jets chart had looked like this I'd be much more concerned.

IMG_3478.jpg

Really? Cuz I don't think I can be any more impatient with the jets

The line ups and play style are what bother me the most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad