Post-Game Talk: Jets get demolished in home opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You do realize the Jets were dominated in this game 5v5? Three power plays in the first 10 minutes of play for Winnipeg is clouding people's minds about how bad they really played. Heck, Toronto's best players like Mathews, Marner, Nylander only had like 15 minutes of ice time because of all the power plays the Jets had (8).

Domination normally produces a very different looking chart actually. You are incorrect in your characterization of the play 5 on 5.

IMG_3473.jpg

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
You do realize the Jets were dominated in this game 5v5? Three power plays in the first 10 minutes of play for Winnipeg is clouding people's minds about how bad they really played. Heck, Toronto's best players like Mathews, Marner, Nylander only had like 15 minutes of ice time because of all the power plays the Jets had (8).

Leafs board is 3 floors down and to the right. Keep your homerism to your own board or if you feel inclined hijack a main boards thread like your kind loves to do.

Reactions: broinwhyteridge

warrenm

Jul 22, 2017
I just don't know what to say or how t describe what I am feeling. I have loved this team since the mid 1970s. I cried when the played their last game versus Detroit in the mid 1990s. I was overjoyed to tears when they came. I feel isolated now living in southern Ontario and living for this team. I just want them to do well. Just once. One season that I can look back with pride that they did well and went deep into the playoffs. It makes me sick in my stomach to think how inept they have been as Jets 1.0 and now 2.0 .

I pray I am wrong but that October schedule sure looks like 2-9 to me.

It has to be coaching. I hated Noel and PoMo was a breathe of fresh air. Now I think he is the worst guy for this team.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
When you say EVERYONE, you mean the small handful of people who didn't already question it, right?

I mean the people who were trying to look on the positive side of things and trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I would think that was rather obvious but I guess you proved even the obvious things aren't so obvious.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I mean the people who were trying to look on the positive side of things and trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I would think that was rather obvious but I guess you proved even the obvious things aren't so obvious.

Mistake #1: Giving Maurice the benefit of the doubt.

Mistake #2: Looking on the positive side of things while Maurice is head coach.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Mistake #1: Giving Maurice the benefit of the doubt.

Mistake #2: Looking on the positive side of things while Maurice is head coach.

Is it really necessary to argue? I mean you're not really bringing anything to the convo except animosity. There was nothing incorrect with my original statement and you're just being abrasive.

Reactions: JetBlue420

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Why do the Jets always need the first 10/15/20 games of the season to get things up and running properly (supposedly)?

Do the other 30 teams also go through the same incompetence excused mulligan period every year too?

Reactions: Board Bard

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Why do the Jets always need the first 10/15/20 games of the season to get things up and running properly (supposedly)?

Do the other 30 teams also go through the same incompetence excused mulligan period every year too?

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying Mo hasn't had enough time to have been judged, but you have to give things a little time to settle in before making big changes like firing the coach. That goes for every team. Making a move too soon can be just as bad as making no move at all.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
The problem is not Paul Maurice. You have players on the team that do not want to play, or are not capable of playing the system the coaches are preaching. Lazy play, missed assignments, blown coverage, etc. The jets were shredded in the neutral zone in this game. Granted the goaltending could have been better. However, the players were believing what was being said by the local press, ie, the team is stacked with talent, they will dominate the Leafs with their size, speed and better defence, blah,blah,blah. The bottom line is the Jets have to work harder, much harder if they intend on being taken seriously as a playoff contender.

If we wanted advice on how to win from opposing team's fanbases, the absolute last people we'd ask would be fans of the team that hasn't won anything since man landed on the moon and the Beatles were still together. Beat it.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying Mo hasn't had enough time to have been judged, but you have to give things a little time to settle in before making big changes like firing the coach. That goes for every team. Making a move too soon can be just as bad as making no move at all.
I wasn't intending as an attack; sorry if taken that way. Mostly I just wanted to comment on how much time gets wasted by this organization "evaluating" what is readily evident to most of the rest of the universe.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I wasn't intending as an attack; sorry if taken that way. Mostly I just wanted to comment on how much time gets wasted by this organization "evaluating" what is readily evident to most of the rest of the universe.

How much time? Well, a while as we've already seen but if Mo doesn't yield results by mid November and he's not gone, TOO f***ING LONG!!! lol

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Because we need to gear up for the awesome garbage time win streak when everything is out of reach.
Seriously 1 loss and a bad one it’s hard not to vent when the majority has identified the weak link as coaches.
Hope that Chevy has ginormous GM balls and doesn’t let this permeate indefinitely.
Not just Maurice but ALL of them.
If we don’t dominate Calgary physically then I’ll be concerned.

Reactions: Jet

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That's really the thing though. Why is this team so consistently "failing in their reads"? It's not occasionally, it's enough over the years that hockey people outside of Winnipeg comment on it.

Something is wrong with the coaching because I don't believe that somehow the Jets magically acquired all the NHL players in the league who can't make defensive zone reads.

Oh I agree 100%. These kinds of plays are what coaching is for. I don't get it, I'm just trying to develop some context because alot of people seem to want to blame Buff on the play cause it's the easy go to "well he's bad defensively and he's way out above ringette line", when in reality he was probably the best positioned player on the the team in that scenario.

Reactions: TS Quint

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Refresh my memory, which is the relatively easy read blow by Byfuglien? Which goal was that? Cause it sure as hell better not be #3 or we are in waaaaay more trouble than I thought.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If he is here forever that probably means we turned into a dynasty.

Hey Guys!

I read the boards all the time, new to posting though. Just want to say it was only one game. I am a Leafs fan, but first and foremost a hockey fan. I played for many years, and I love analyzing the game. I am counting on you guys to fix things and have a terrific season, you just need to get rid of Maurice please. Looking forward to many years of two great competitive Canadian hockey teams!

You got some BEAST players!

Cheers!

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Refresh my memory, which is the relatively easy read blow by Byfuglien? Which goal was that? Cause it sure as hell better not be #3 or we are in waaaaay more trouble than I thought.
I'm sorry, but Buff was working well outside the gameplan there. That was not some sort of "man" coverage.

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
:help:
Hey Guys!

I read the boards all the time, new to posting though. Just want to say it was only one game. I am a Leafs fan, but first and foremost a hockey fan. I played for many years, and I love analyzing the game. I am counting on you guys to fix things and have a terrific season, you just need to get rid of Maurice please. Looking forward to many years of two great competitive Canadian hockey teams!

You got some BEAST players!

Cheers!
Kind words, my son in law is a Leafs fan... it burns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad