Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 17-18 Part XVIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
What are Sbisas numbers like? Would he be a good pick up to play in the bottom 6 or partner with Buff/Myers?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not sure I figured I'd pick when the bets done.

Plus what's the stipulation league average save %?

I was thinking greater than or equal to his career average of .913.

I'm game for the bet as long as the picture is classy. I.e I'll sport another team or players avatar for a month or something.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The only statistics I've seen compared Ken Hitchcock to career averages which is kind of stupid because it's using the stats while under Hitchcock against himself.

Seriously look at Elliott. With Hitchcock and without Hitchcock are starkly different.

Last year under a very shaky Calgary defense with 3 nice top 4 defenders but Engelland or Wideman in the top 4 :help:, on a highly penalized team Elliot still managed to outperform Hellebuyck. More importantly Hutch and Pavs combined for an .889 save % over 36 games last year which really killed us. If we would have had Elliot at at .910 we would have yielded 10 less goals which would have put the Jets at a + 3 in goal differential. The only team in the NHL with a plus goal differential to miss the playoffs was Tampa Bay.

The NHL is so even that it is a game of inches and if we have two goalies this season who are North of .910 or lord help us if they get to the lofty .915 average we will be a playoff team.

Elliot may not be perfect but he is solid and a pretty big upgrade. Until we prove Helly is the man or move on from him our options will be limited.

Nov 24, 2006
Last year under a very shaky Calgary defense with 3 nice top 4 defenders but Engelland or Wideman in the top 4 :help:, on a highly penalized team Elliot still managed to outperform Hellebuyck. More importantly Hutch and Pavs combined for an .889 save % over 36 games last year which really killed us. If we would have had Elliot at at .910 we would have yielded 10 less goals which would have put the Jets at a + 3 in goal differential. The only team in the NHL with a plus goal differential to miss the playoffs was Tampa Bay.

The NHL is so even that it is a game of inches and if we have two goalies this season who are North of .910 or lord help us if they get to the lofty .915 average we will be a playoff team.

Elliot may not be perfect but he is solid and a pretty big upgrade. Until we prove Helly is the man or move on from him our options will be limited.

Good post.

That bolded portion, that is really telling, and really disheartening. Team must have been deflated when either of those two were due to start.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Honestly, Elliot was not my preferred goalie, but I have to say that I am not sad about these rumors.

He will be a solid tandem goalie for our team next year, and to me it shows that Chevy is actively trying to make the Jets a better team. Our time to start competing is now, and I'm super excited for the upcoming season.

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
Myers for Grubauer +?

Caps need D and salary cap room so we could retain 50% and ask for a high round pick or solid prospect.

I know we could go with Elliot but I'd rather have Gru long term to battle it out with Helly.
I'd consider Gru to be an even better prospect but I feel the Jets are so invested in Helly they wouldn't make a move like this and sign Gru long term despite his potential.

Resign Postma and have him and Poolman for 3rd pairing RD, and go get a 2nd or 3rd pairing LD via Vegas/trade or FA.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Myers for Grubauer +?

Caps need D and salary cap room so we could retain 50% and ask for a high round pick or solid prospect.

I know we could go with Elliot but I'd rather have Gru long term to battle it out with Helly.
I'd consider Gru to be an even better prospect but I feel the Jets are so invested in Helly they wouldn't make a move like this and sign Gru long term despite his potential.

Resign Postma and have him and Poolman for 3rd pairing RD, and go get a 2nd or 3rd pairing LD via Vegas/trade or FA.

I think if Grubauer was really an option and/or the Jets were interested in him, it would have happened during the draft. The Caps didn't have any pick until the 4th round.

Unless they valued Grubauer more? :dunno:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't see why we need to trade for a goalie. The market is saturated.

Edit:

Last edited:

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
I think if Grubauer was really an option and/or the Jets were interested in him, it would have happened during the draft. The Caps didn't have any pick until the 4th round.

Unless they valued Grubauer more? :dunno:

Good point. Also Caps right side D seems set it's the left side they are probably looking at.
Love Grubauer though and would love to have him somehow.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
My greatest fear is that we miss out on both Elliott and Mason. That would suck.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My greatest fear is that we miss out on both Elliott and Mason. That would suck.

What teams do you still think are in the market? Teams with true #1's don't usually look at tying up the cap space required for either of them as a back up.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Elliott is a fairly underwhelming choice. His save percentage is below average and his good years were with really strong defensive teams..which the Jets are not.

Elliott has 'cheapskate' written all over it.

Mason I could get behind, because he has shown high end potential at times.

It would be nice if the Jets made a bold move for a goalie or left side d in a bold way, then I could handle being conservative in the leftover weak area.

But I am getting the vibe Chevy is going to do the bare minimum.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Elliott is a fairly underwhelming choice. His save percentage is below average and his good years were with really strong defensive teams..which the Jets are not.

It would be nice if the Jets made a bold move for a goalie or left side d in a bold way, then I could handle being conservative in the leftover weak area.

Mason wants to be the starter and so he will not come here to compete for the net, he will just accept an offer from a team that wants him to be their starter. As long as we are committed to Hellebuyck we are not getting guys like Mason, Raanta, Darling, MAF, etc because these guys want a net not to be in a competition for the net with a prized prospect. Now if they had no other options they would probably plug their nose and sign with us but they are all going to have other options IMO.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Elliot's save percentage is better than Mason's.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Elliott has a career .913 SV% and Mason has a career .911 SV% :dunno:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don't see why we need to trade for a goalie. The market is saturated.

Edit:

Well certainly we had several mechanisms in place but things fell through......
Hope that's not what we hear...
Elliot is better than nothing...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And it's a cheaper sv%?:pickle:

Elliott also seems like a much better fit if you still believe Helly is your future #1. A good team guy with a reputation of being a mentor and plays his best in a platoon situation. Compared to a guy who will be demanding the net. No doubt the Jets will check in on all options but it seems pretty likely who they have targeted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad