Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 17-18 Part XVIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The thing I like most about Elliot is he will be a good mentor for Helle at least. He's been on a good playoff rus, he's been on an elite tandem and he has logged a lot of miles in the crease. Pavs is a terrible mentor and Hutch is much to inexperienced to be a good mentor for Helle.
He could provide us with enough stability in the tandem to make a playoff push but I won't expect much more out of him. But IMO his best asset to us is probably going to be almost like another coach for Helle.

Yup. Coming around to picking up Elliott.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
To be honest, I'd rather have Elliot than Smith.

What about Garrison for a LHD from Vegas? He is signed for one year at 4.6m AAV with an actual salary of 2.5m.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Notable RFA's who were not qualified and now become UFA's Am I missing anyone.

Chiasson Cal
Yaupov Stl
Rattle Stl
Gelinas Col
Folin Min
Holland Ari
Matteau Mon
Josefson NJD
Bennett NJD
Mueller NJD (didn't they just acquire him from SJ prior to the XD?)

Mikhail Grigorenko - Col

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The thing I like most about Elliot is he will be a good mentor for Helle at least. He's been on a good playoff rus, he's been on an elite tandem and he has logged a lot of miles in the crease. Pavs is a terrible mentor and Hutch is much to inexperienced to be a good mentor for Helle.
He could provide us with enough stability in the tandem to make a playoff push but I won't expect much more out of him. But IMO his best asset to us is probably going to be almost like another coach for Helle.

Yea by all accounts he is a great guy, really good teammate, and tenacious competitor. Keep in mind he usually wins the battle for the net and he hasn't missed the playoffs in six seasons.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Notable RFA's who were not qualified and now become UFA's Am I missing anyone.

Chiasson Cal
Yaupov Stl
Rattle Stl
Gelinas Col
Folin Min
Holland Ari
Matteau Mon
Josefson NJD
Bennett NJD
Mueller NJD (didn't they just acquire him from SJ prior to the XD?)

Burmistrov - Ari:naughty:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
My first choice was Raanta but Elliot was always in the mix for me as a really good option for us.

This is a decent read. I am on the Elliot train but am mentally preparing myself for Lack, Niemi, Ward or some other major disappointment.

The Brian Elliott era has to be over in Calgary after Flames get swept at home by Anaheim Ducks

Someone will get a very good goalie next year. It just can’t be here, given when and the way he faltered late. In a knowledgeable hockey market like Calgary it would be a public relations nightmare, especially if he were signed long–term.

http://nationalpost.com/sports/hock...ucks/wcm/806e901c-63cb-4482-a0a1-4f827d94b860

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd be OK with Garrison, or even Emelin, as long as the cost isn't much more than Petan.
Emelin has an AAV of 4.1m but his actual salary is 4.4m.

I was thinking a 3rd for Garrison or is that not enough?

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Rick Ralph reported something similar to this earlier today.

Thats what it was - plus a poster here also said it though not sure if related to the Rick Ralph mention.

Difference is the Flames were bringing him in as their #1 and he got off to a terrible start......we will be brining him in as a 1b to create competition for the net but play a role similar to what he did in St. Louis. We probably won't need Brian to save the day we just need him to do what he has done and be average and that will be enough.

100% agree!

Painfully mediocre will seem like Vezina quality performance compared to what the Jets and their fans are accustomed to.

100% agree!

I still think Hellebuyck can turn out but we'll definitely have a better idea after 2 years. Nice short term for Elliot who may be perfect tandem type guy until we reevaluate the landscape in 2019. Who knows maybe he'll take us on a run.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Emelin has an AAV of 4.1m but his actual salary is 4.4m.

I was thinking a 3rd for Garrison or is that not enough?

By mid afternoon on July 1, GMGM will be trading away his dmen for pennies on the dollar.

2020 4th or 5th rounder and a low level prospect will get it done.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
2010-2011
Chris Mason brought in and Ondrej Pavelec...

2017-2018
Brian Elliot brought in and Connor Hellebuyck...

hope this one turns out better :)

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I'd be ecstatic with Elliott. It will cost us nothing but money, and even then, not a king's ransom. He's an okay vet, with the chance to be above average in a spot starter's role, while bringing along a talented young buck (no pun intended).

I'm hoping to hear the good news on Canada Day.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Weircoch not qualified by Colorado. Will the dream come true this time?

Come on Chevy, this right here is your depth d-man. Available for cheap too

And what would that track record be? You mean the recent pick swap that allowed us to prevent one of Perreault, Lowry, Enstrom (by giving Enstrom comfort to waive his NMC and letting us go 7+3+1), Armia, Copp or Dano getting picked by Vegas, leaving us in a position to draft a well-regarded player we had in our top 13 regardless?

Or the first round pick we got from Buffalo in the Kane deal that scored us Roslovic in the Kane deal?

Or the first round pick we got from Chicago (+ Dano) in exchange for 2 months of Andrew Ladd's corpse, which turned out to be a higher pick than expected and put us in a position to trade down to get a D prospect?

The 3rd rounder and 5th rounder we turned into Frolik a few years ago?

You mean that track record of trades involving picks?

We have discussed this to death over the past few days. I don't want to further derail this thread.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Weircoch not qualified by Colorado. Will the dream come true this time?

Come on Chevy, this right here is your depth d-man. Available for cheap too

Would be a decent signing and would fit in on the 3rd pair. Better than Chiarot playing all year.

Avs can still sign him before July 1 though, but he might become a UFA we could take a run at.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Elliott was always on the list. I'd prefer Raanta or Grubauer over him but I guess the Jets think it makes more sense to bring someone like Elliott in, who isn't looking for a long-time number one job cause of age etc. He seems to be liking the shared 1a/1b role and was thriving under it for some time. He might be the best option to pick up after all.

I'd be satisfied with him.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Ugh I really don't want Elliott.

He's the classic example of a goalie that puts up great numbers while playing in Hitchcocks system and then horrible numbers outside of it. Last I checked Maurice was not Hitchcock.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ugh I really don't want Elliott.

He's the classic example of a goalie that puts up great numbers while playing in Hitchcocks system and then horrible numbers outside of it. Last I checked Maurice was not Hitchcock.

I get it that he wasn't the sexiest pick but I think we have to put it in perspective. Our organization is committed to giving a very talented young goalie who struggled last season a legit shot in net. That alone would turn off any incoming goalie who wants to be the clear cut starter. Last season after a horrific start Eillot still clawed back to a .910 save % playing on a team with only 3 real defenseman and a team who played short handed as much as the Jets which kills a save %.

This is less about Elliot and more about Hellebuyck.....if Connor fails this season we should cut him loose because he is standing in the way and then do what we have to to bring in a clear cut stater but for now we were only going to get a guy willing to play in a 1b role and complete for the 1a. I think Elliot has proven he is a very capable option in that role.

As the optimist Paul McCarty would sing "things are getting a little better" then the pessimist John Lennon chimes in "it couldn't get no worse" :laugh:

Until we rip the shoot on Helly this is about as good as it's going to get.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I get it that he wasn't the sexiest pick but I think we have to put it in perspective. Our organization is committed to giving a very talented young goalie who struggled last season a legit shot in net. That alone would turn off any incoming goalie who wants to be the clear cut starter. Last season after a horrific start Eillot still clawed back to a .910 save % playing on a team with only 3 real defenseman and a team who played short handed as much as the Jets which kills a save %.

This is less about Elliot and more about Hellebuyck.....if Connor fails this season we should cut him loose because he is standing in the way and then do what we have to to bring in a clear cut stater but for now we were only going to get a guy willing to play in a 1b role and complete for the 1a. I think Elliot has proven he is a very capable option in that role.

As the optimist Paul McCarty would sing "things are getting a little better" then the pessimist John Lennon chimes in "it couldn't get no worse" :laugh:

Until we rip the shoot on Helly this is about as good as it's going to get.

We won't have to rip the shoot. Helly will be s consistent 30 game winner going forward. This tandem will get us in the playoffs, unless Elliot starts off 1-9 like Hutch did last year.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I really have no interest in picking up a UFA depth defenseman. Trade for a top 4 or go as is. Our hole is in the pairings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad