Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
I'm just gonna throw this out there but what about a deal around Trouba for Parayko, Trouba gets to go to the US and we get another fantastic big bodied dman who would be a fantastic Jmo compliment. This situation is obviously if Trouba doesn't wanna resign.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm just gonna throw this out there but what about a deal around Trouba for Parayko, Trouba gets to go to the US and we get another fantastic big bodied dman who would be a fantastic Jmo compliment. This situation is obviously if Trouba doesn't wanna resign.

Not sure why St. Louis would make that trade, though.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

He's gonna go play in europe at the end of this contract?

He really doesn't have any option besides signing another contract voluntarily with the Jets or taking the arb process to completion which ends up with him still being a Winnipeg Jet only with less pay.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Nothing is certain with Trouba, he held out once he could do it again cause you never know what that shmuck Overhardt will tell him to do

He didn't hold out. He only pretended. He didn't have the guts or desire to sit out a whole season.

The only way he can hold out this time is if he decides not to file for arbitration. Once arb is filed the process can only be stopped by signing a contract .He would be giving up negotiating leverage if he doesn't file.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
Nothing is certain with Trouba, he held out once he could do it again cause you never know what that shmuck Overhardt will tell him to do

Hold on, why are people still questioning Overhardt and Trouba's bargaining tactics?

He bet on himself - that he had another level to his game. As it turned out, his bet will likely pay off. His value is unquestionably higher now than it would've been last summer on a long term deal. Furthermore, he's made it abundantly clear that he's not afraid to sit out for a period of time if numbers/terms etc. aren't to his liking. That gives him some added degree of leverage in a situation where the Jets used to have 97% of it. Now, the Jets really, really want to keep him and have to take threats to sit out seriously.

Nobody here likes the fact that he held out - but to suggest it was poorly orchestrated is a) not clear at all on the facts; and, b) commentary made without full knowledge of what transpired between Trouba, Chevy and his agent.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hold on, why are people still questioning Overhardt and Trouba's bargaining tactics?

He bet on himself - that he had another level to his game. As it turned out, his bet will likely pay off. His value is unquestionably higher now than it would've been last summer on a long term deal. Furthermore, he's made it abundantly clear that he's not afraid to sit out for a period of time if numbers/terms etc. aren't to his liking. That gives him some added degree of leverage in a situation where the Jets used to have 97% of it. Now, the Jets really, really want to keep him and have to take threats to sit out seriously.

Nobody here likes the fact that he held out - but to suggest it was poorly orchestrated is a) not clear at all on the facts; and, b) commentary made without full knowledge of what transpired between Trouba, Chevy and his agent.

The bold is true. It is also true that the missed games cost him quite a few $$$. It might also be true that he could have had exactly the same contract without holding out. In which case the holdout was dumb.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
The bold is true. It is also true that the missed games cost him quite a few $$$. It might also be true that he could have had exactly the same contract without holding out. In which case the holdout was dumb.

What value are you placing on the holdout underlining to Jets management that sitting out games in future isn't an idle threat?

The agent gets 10%. Meaning that they're clearly incentivized towards strategy that maximizes value for the player (and therefore themselves). So to suggest someone with potentially $5M on the line in commissions made a "dumb" decision, despite knowing it would cost him money in the short term, is an interesting argument based on the evidence at hand...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I dunno...last fall everyone was thinking 6 x $5.5M was pretty steep. Now everyone's pretty cool with 8 x $7M+.

If the Jets were actually offering him 6 x $5.5M last fall though, I don't know why he'd turn that down - even if he wants out. Just to get out 2 years earlier? And with all the injury risk? He could've had $33M in the bank and become a UFA at 28. Signed wherever he wanted for big money.

If it IS about the money, then I don't think there's any way the Jets can now sign him to a max term deal - the numbers just don't work out anymore. Even if they gave him 8 x $8M, he's so far behind where he would have been by taking the 6 x $5.5M and then going UFA in 2023. And he'd be 32 when that 8 year deal expires. Maybe they can sign him to a 4 x $7M deal...but he could've signed a 6 x $5.5M deal for about the same money/term.

I think if he wants a chance to maximize his earnings, he has to go to arbitration next year and the year after and go UFA in 2020.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Hey Jets fans how's it going?

Just curious if you'd part with either Byfuglien or Trouba for a package of Nurse and Puljujarvi? Both are expansion exempt.

Total Cure

May 15, 2017
The way I see it, whether a player threatens to sit out, or actually does sit out as a negotiation tactic is secondary. True North has shown that it'll do what is best for the organization. The Jets could've easily traded Trouba, but for a myriad of reasons chose not to. They called Overhardt's bluff.

Turns out it's a win-win situation. Trouba, given the opportunity was able to prove that he is a legit #1 (or very close) D and in the process increased his market value meaning a bigger contract that I'm sure the Jets will gladly give him. If he still wants out, he'll have to wait until he's UFA or if the Jets get someone to overpay. Chevy will play the same game for the next negotiation. For the next 3 years, Trouba's value will continue to increase meaning a bigger return for the Jets should they have to trade him. Win-win.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I dunno...last fall everyone was thinking 6 x $5.5M was pretty steep. Now everyone's pretty cool with 8 x $7M+.

If the Jets were actually offering him 6 x $5.5M last fall though, I don't know why he'd turn that down - even if he wants out. Just to get out 2 years earlier? And with all the injury risk? He could've had $33M in the bank and become a UFA at 28. Signed wherever he wanted for big money.

If it IS about the money, then I don't think there's any way the Jets can now sign him to a max term deal - the numbers just don't work out anymore. Even if they gave him 8 x $8M, he's so far behind where he would have been by taking the 6 x $5.5M and then going UFA in 2023. And he'd be 32 when that 8 year deal expires. Maybe they can sign him to a 4 x $7M deal...but he could've signed a 6 x $5.5M deal for about the same money/term.

I think if he wants a chance to maximize his earnings, he has to go to arbitration next year and the year after and go UFA in 2020.

6x anything isn't the contract I was referring to. 2x3 might have been available to him before the holdout if a bridge is what he wanted.

We really don't know what he might have been offered, long term or short. We were told that KO never even listened to money offers. That may have changed toward the end, or not.

I don't feel like doing all the arithmetic again. I've done it more than once. 6xwhatever at that time is very different than the same numbers would be now because of the 2 year bridge. Added to an 8 year term now we have to look at the 10 year total to compare.

I still don't think I know what the whole cloud of dust was about. The way it ended was hard to figure too. It was like he decided he had made his point and would now sign - except that I don't know what point he made. I'm sure Chevy would have wanted a longer term deal but when push came to shove he would probably have given the 2 year deal before the holdout. Although I can't know that for certain. But again, according to what we were told there was no negotiation taking place. It was just 'trade me'.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Just curious if you'd part with either Byfuglien or Trouba for a package of Nurse and Puljujarvi? Both are expansion exempt.

There sounds like there could be a deal there somewhere...

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
6x anything isn't the contract I was referring to. 2x3 might have been available to him before the holdout if a bridge is what he wanted.

We really don't know what he might have been offered, long term or short. We were told that KO never even listened to money offers. That may have changed toward the end, or not.

I don't feel like doing all the arithmetic again. I've done it more than once. 6xwhatever at that time is very different than the same numbers would be now because of the 2 year bridge. Added to an 8 year term now we have to look at the 10 year total to compare.

I still don't think I know what the whole cloud of dust was about. The way it ended was hard to figure too. It was like he decided he had made his point and would now sign - except that I don't know what point he made. I'm sure Chevy would have wanted a longer term deal but when push came to shove he would probably have given the 2 year deal before the holdout. Although I can't know that for certain. But again, according to what we were told there was no negotiation taking place. It was just 'trade me'.
Or Chevy could have wanted the bridge to begin with...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Not at all Interested in Nurse and while I like Puljujarvi promising wingers aren't an area of need. We need both Buff and Trouba more than both of the pieces offered.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think I'd consider moving Buff for Puljujarvi and Nurse.

I'd do that deal. Then I'd start looking for someone to overpay for Nurse. :)

That is building that powerhouse offense you've been talking about. D would be a problem.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Nurse isn't thought of too highly around here. Like Pool Party. Buff has NMC. Would rather just sign Trouba long term.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd do that deal. Then I'd start looking for someone to overpay for Nurse. :)

That is building that powerhouse offense you've been talking about. D would be a problem.

Yup. The value is there for me. I'm assuming that Trouba and Myers can manage the top two pairs on RD and the Jets use assets and cap space to fill in the D. Laine, Puljujarvi , Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Wheeler, Little, Perreault could be an overwhelming forward group.

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
Reading MSN.CA this morning and came across an opinion article by SB NATION. They asked the question "Could Kevin Shattenkirk help the Winnipeg Jets Defence?" Thoughts?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Reading MSN.CA this morning and came across an opinion article by SB NATION. They asked the question "Could Kevin Shattenkirk help the Winnipeg Jets Defence?" Thoughts?

He's a RD and WE are loaded with RD. He's likely going to be too costly as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad