Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
:yo:

General fanager and cap geek before them do a lot of work in this area. They need to know all 30 teams roster and cap hit for each and every single day. They need to know bonus terms and get bonus overages exactly right.

They've really made it easy for us. I have no doubt there's the odd mistake here and there but they are 99% spot on especially for the cap teams which is really important. For teams like the Jets it's less important.

Was truly very sad to see CapGeek shut down. GeneralFanager has been a good replacement though getting better every day. Definitely my goto site for any cap related info.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Why?

Do the Hawks have a great gaping hole at LW?
Do they have LHD or prospects available for trade?
Do they have cap space?
Just asking.

So much this.

There are other teams who would offer a better return with no salary retention.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Why?

Do the Hawks have a great gaping hole at LW?
Do they have LHD or prospects available for trade?
Do they have cap space?
Just asking.

Gaping? Not quite that far but there has been a pretty regular rotation at LW on the 1st line, without too much success. I think Quenville would love to have a player like Ladd to plug in there.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes to all 3.

They have Panarin and Teraveinen at LW. Where's the hole?
Name a potentially available LHD we might want.
No, they don't have cap space. That could be worked around by waiting about 10 days and/or retaining some salary. But only for rental purposes. No way they could keep him.

Not saying it isn't a reasonable possibility but I don't see this compelling 'must do it' fit either.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Just because your need is a LHD doesn't mean that's what the Jets have to target. I think the Hawks are just fine with a rental like Ladd, why wouldn't they be? Why do you think Quenville indicates they could use a couple guys up front? I don't think he's meaning bottom 6 players.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
No, they don't have cap space. That could be worked around by waiting about 10 days and/or retaining some salary. But only for rental purposes. No way they could keep him.

Not saying it isn't a reasonable possibility but I don't see this compelling 'must do it' fit either.

Why would we care about salary retention? it's for like < 30 games.

If this team won't buy out the worst starting goalie in the NHL, does anyone see them retaining salary on a player like Ladd so he can go win a Cup in Chicago? But who knows what Chevy might concoct up with his ol' buddies in Chicago.

Why care about salary retention? Because the Jets are cheap ( sorry.... frugal ). They don't like spending money on players that aren't here.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I believe Shaw had been playing with the Teows line. So they would move Shaw down and run with

Ladd Teows Hossa
Panarin Anisimov Kane

As their top 6

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Hopefully Chevy and his old Blackhawk buddies get drunk and agree to a trade that significantly favours the Jets. Then the next day Chrvy can say "Ha...I was drinking water last night guys! SUCKERS!!!".

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

I'll bet the internal cap matters here. Is Chevy allowed to bank salary from one year to the next? Why retain salary when we don't have to.

With Scuderi sent down the Hawks can take Ladd with anywhere from 35%-50% retained right now.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

It improves the depth at the position, and Ladd replaces Shaw on that line - they have TT on the 3rd I believe.

You said LHD or prospects. Fournier is probably their best LHD prospect, but I wouldn't say no to RHD Ville Pokka. McNeill is also pretty good up front (probably have to forget about Kyle Connor's teammate Tyler Motte but he'd be a great prospect to have).

Ladd is a rental, I don't think the Hawks trade for him with the goal to sign him long-term.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Gaping? Not quite that far but there has been a pretty regular rotation at LW on the 1st line, without too much success. I think Quenville would love to have a player like Ladd to plug in there.

Nowhere did I suggest they couldn't use Ladd. Probably 15 of the 16 playoff teams could use Ladd if not 16 of 16. That's not my point. My point is simply that Chicago doesn't leap out as an obvious fit for both teams. The best, most likely trade partner. Look no further, just do it.

I don't think we should care about a little salary retention. We have the lowest salary structure in the league. We can afford a bit of spending. But the Hawks are not made a better fit by their abundant cap space.

Just because your need is a LHD doesn't mean that's what the Jets have to target. I think the Hawks are just fine with a rental like Ladd, why wouldn't they be? Why do you think Quenville indicates they could use a couple guys up front? I don't think he's meaning bottom 6 players.

No but it is our greatest need so the BEST FIT is with a team that can give us what we need. Of course they would be just fine with a rental like Ladd. Name a contender that wouldn't be. I'd be fine trading with Chicago if they give us the right deal. What makes them a compelling fit?

I believe Shaw had been playing with the Teows line. So they would move Shaw down and run with

Ladd Teows Hossa
Panarin Anisimov Kane

As their top 6

Agree they could use Ladd in their top 6. Never suggested anything else. But why the Hawks more than any other contender? Why are the Hawks a 'can't miss, perfect fit'? So much so that both GMs need to be all over this?

folix

Jul 24, 2011
It improves the depth at the position, and Ladd replaces Shaw on that line - they have TT on the 3rd I believe.

You said LHD or prospects. Fournier is probably their best LHD prospect, but I wouldn't say no to RHD Ville Pokka. McNeill is also pretty good up front (probably have to forget about Kyle Connor's teammate Tyler Motte but he'd be a great prospect to have).

Ladd is a rental, I don't think the Hawks trade for him with the goal to sign him long-term.

There is no way I take back a 1st and Fournier for Ladd, he has to have value beyond that. Tyler Motte would get my interest though, thats something to play with there.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
TT has been on their third line. Shaw has been on the line with Toews and Hossa, and he's not a top line player. Ladd makes a ton of sense for them. They needed a C last year, they need a LW this year.

I'd be overjoyed if we could land Pokka, Hartman or Motte + a first.

We will see what happens, but they have interesting prospects, a need, and they can fit him in if we retain.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I never said Chicago would be a bad fit or a non-fit. I question statements that "it makes so much sense it has to happen".

I'm not particularly interested in Motte. Don't recruit for chemistry. It is too unpredictable. Motte is being boosted by Conner. I would like Pokka. There are a number of ways to use him. If he plays the right side on our 3rd pair Trouba can stay with Buff on the 1st pair. LD problem solved. It doesn't have to be a LHD but the best fit for us would be a LHD so Chicago doesn't leap to the top of the list of potential partners by virtue of having what we need.

Chicago is just one among about 20 possible landing places.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We have a premium rental piece here. Lets make sure we fix a problem when we move him. No B or C level prospects who probably never really make it in the NHL. No prospects who cover a position we already have well covered. It is not written in stone that it must be a 1st and a prospect, especially if that prospect is just going to improve the Moose.

Target an A level LHD prospect. If that is too much do 1 for 1, give up the pick. Still too much? Shouldn't be but OK. If it is, add something if necessary. Get a good player who is going to help us win a cup some day.

Don't aim for scraps.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
We have a premium rental piece here. Lets make sure we fix a problem when we move him. No B or C level prospects who probably never really make it in the NHL. No prospects who cover a position we already have well covered. It is not written in stone that it must be a 1st and a prospect, especially if that prospect is just going to improve the Moose.

Target an A level LHD prospect. If that is too much do 1 for 1, give up the pick. Still too much? Shouldn't be but OK. If it is, add something if necessary. Get a good player who is going to help us win a cup some day.

Don't aim for scraps.

I'm with you. I'd prefer a trade to Anaheim over Chicago. I was just suggesting that Chicago is not a bad 2nd choice.

Eventually, though, you have to gauge the offers and pick the best one. If Anaheim doesn't budge on a LHD, and you can get Pokka (as an example, he'd be hard to get), then you take it.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
By all means get the best package you can for Ladd, he's one of the better rentals out there but I think the need for a top line winger to play with Toews and Hossa as well as the familiarity between the Hawks and Ladd makes the trade very attractive for them. It's just up to Chevy to make it attractive on our end. Could be the Hawks really want Ladd and end up giving us a very sweet deal.

As for retaining salary I don't think the Jets would worry about paying Ladd for the remainder of the season. Buying out Pavelec is another story altogether.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm with you. I'd prefer a trade to Anaheim over Chicago. I was just suggesting that Chicago is not a bad 2nd choice.

Eventually, though, you have to gauge the offers and pick the best one. If Anaheim doesn't budge on a LHD, and you can get Pokka (as an example, he'd be hard to get), then you take it.

Yup. I'd do that.

By all means get the best package you can for Ladd, he's one of the better rentals out there but I think the need for a top line winger to play with Toews and Hossa as well as the familiarity between the Hawks and Ladd makes the trade very attractive for them. It's just up to Chevy to make it attractive on our end. Could be the Hawks really want Ladd and end up giving us a very sweet deal.

As for retaining salary I don't think the Jets would worry about paying Ladd for the remainder of the season. Buying out Pavelec is another story altogether.

The Hawks have shown that they won't hesitate to make a move to put them over the top. Some other teams that maybe could win seem to be afraid to commit. If the Hawks would make the right offer I would retain as much salary as necessary and do it today before anything can go wrong. "He who hesitates is lost." - Marcus Porcius Cato

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Here's the thing about Chicago. They have Panarin signed to a $812.5k cap hit. He has however already earned his $225k roster bonuses and it would be almost impossible for him not to earn the max schedule A bonuses of $850k. If he finishes the year top ten in points (he's currently 7th) he will earn another $1.725M in bonus. (There are other ways he could earn that bonus as well.)TT is still on an ELC as well and could earn bonus money. It seems likely the Hawks will carry a huge bonus overage next year on a flat or falling cap number. This season may really be their last kick at the cat for a couple years. They may have to go all in. That's why Ladd to Chicago makes sense for them. If you're gonna go all in.....go big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad