Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Personally if Buff was to be traded I prefer a more futures oriented deal myself (or at least with the return of a player that's not going to become a UFA).

But with salary likely needing to come back our way, getting a now piece and a nice futures piece isn't terrible either (depending on how good the futures piece is).

I am interested in another Alan Walsh client, who would be a great fit...Jonathan Huberdeau. Huberdeau is looking for a payout, but boy would he be a nice addition, on a top line with Scheif and Wheeler. He and Scheif had some real good chemistry on the Canadian junior squad. Might put a little pressure on Ladd to re-sign or offset his loss, should he walk. Given this alignment we could possibly move Perrault all the way down to the 4th line centre (how good of depth would that be).

I would propose Huberdeau and Quinton Howden for Buff, Comrie, and Foley. Buff is a very marketable player, and Florida could certainly use one, given their attendance. Could easily be re-signed by Tallon who brought him to the Hawks, and he was paired often with Campbell on that team.

Trading Buff would allow us to create roster space for Morrissey too, leading to an eventual D corps of Enstrom-Trouba (shutdown), Morrissey/Chiarot-Myers, Stuart-Postma, with Chiarot/Harrison and Pardy in reserve.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I doubt it happens, but I would LOVE to get Huberdeau to Winnipeg. I think I'd pay handsomely to do it. Of course, I'm not a GM (for good reason). But I'm still very high on Huberdeau. I think he could explode in the right situation - namely, Winnipeg.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Personally if Buff was to be traded I prefer a more futures oriented deal myself (or at least with the return of a player that's not going to become a UFA).

But with salary likely needing to come back our way, getting a now piece and a nice futures piece isn't terrible either (depending on how good the futures piece is).

I think this is the most likely return for Buff in a trade. We are likely far too close to training camp for a team not to need/want to clear cap space to take on Buff's salary. But a good vet with 2-3 years term + a nice futures piece is a reasonable return.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
I think this is the most likely return for Buff in a trade. We are likely far too close to training camp for a team not to need/want to clear cap space to take on Buff's salary. But a good vet with 2-3 years term + a nice futures piece is a reasonable return.

I've mentioned this before to. One of the reasons I liked the Bogo/Kane trade is because we got now and future pieces. If we could do the same with Buff count me in.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
OEL could be had with the right package....Myers and Chiarot and a 2nd and Armia should do it.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Slava Voynov's legal woes continue... http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings...ource=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=53285

Slava Voynov has been taken into custody by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, throwing the young Kings defenseman's NHL future into question.
Now Voynov faces potential deportation far from the Kings facility or the relative comfort of the Seal Beach Police Detention Center — where he paid $100 per day to serve his jail sentence.

[...deletia...]

"An individual with crimes like domestic violence is not in great shape in immigration court," said Teddy Chadwick, an immigration lawyer licensed to practice in California and Wisconsin who has written about the matter. "He's in a tough spot."

Hate to sound like a vulture, but LA may be needing a defenseman to replace him. What kind of deal could we come up with that sends Byfuglien to LA? This may be more complex than a straight one-for-one swap.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
That's not gonna get you OEL. Replace Armia with Ehlers and they might start listening. Even then I doubt it. OEL is almost untouchable.

I don't think Ducky's package gets you OEL either, but I wouldn't move Myers and Ehlers for him either myself.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Slava Voynov's legal woes continue... http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings...ource=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=53285

Hate to sound like a vulture, but LA may be needing a defenseman to replace him. What kind of deal could we come up with that sends Byfuglien to LA? This may be more complex than a straight one-for-one swap.

I don't think LA can do anything until they get the Richards and Voynov deals worked out. They could potentially be on the hook for both contracts, in which case they are ****ed.

If we wanted to do something really crazy. How about Voynov and Pearson (or Cernak) for Buff + something? Kings might be desperate enough to do that. They need guys who aren't in jail collecting a paycheck.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
OEL could be had with the right package....Myers and Chiarot and a 2nd and Armia should do it.

I think what you are missing or ignoring is that players of that level can be had but require a substantial overpay to get. OEL is a foundation piece for Ari. They are not shopping him. They are not interested in moving him in any way. They are building around him. They don't need an older player like Buff. It is not even a case where they require quantity for their rebuild because they already have a quantity of prospects comparable to ours.

Any player can be had for a price. In this case the player you have chosen would require a price that is more than we would be willing to pay and probably quite a bit more than he would be worth.

OTOH we are going to need a 1st pair LD in just a few years. The only chance of getting that by the time we need it is Morrissey. He may peak at a 2nd pair level leaving us still needing a top LHD. If he rises to 1st pair level we will need a 2nd pair LHD. There is no other internal prospect and '16 is probably too late to draft and develop one to be ready when needed. That leaves signing an FA or trading for one. That kind of D is not often available without an overpay or at least a very high price. We may have to bite the bullet and part with one or more of our prized, high rated prospects to get what we need. I still don't see Ari as a likely trade partner though.

Something with Anaheim involving Cam Fowler and Buff might have potential. Anaheim is in win now mode. They have a lot more LHD strength than RHD. I can see them parting with Fowler for the right price. I'm not sure what that price might be. I would rather trade Buff to the East but at least Anaheim is not a Div rival.

A top 4 of;
Enstrom - Trouba
Fowler - Myers
with Morrissey - Postma 3rd pair looks pretty good to me. In a year or 2 maybe Enstrom starts to slide down the depth chart. In 3 years his contract is up. Maybe he is allowed to walk or maybe he is extended for another couple of years in a reduced role. If he walks we have a left side with Fowler, Morrissey & Chiarot. By that time maybe Kostalek has pushed Postma down to 7/8. Meanwhile we can have several D prospects in the system developing by then.

I see that working short term, mid term and long term for us. Would it interest Anaheim? I think it should but they may not agree.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't think LA can do anything until they get the Richards and Voynov deals worked out. They could potentially be on the hook for both contracts, in which case they are ****ed.

If we wanted to do something really crazy. How about Voynov and Pearson (or Cernak) for Buff + something? Kings might be desperate enough to do that. They need guys who aren't in jail collecting a paycheck.

I wouldn't want to take Voynov, regardless of if he will play this coming season or be deported back to Russia. Why do LA a favour like that just to get Pearson when we're not hurting on the wings?

If you want to get a return for Buff just trade him to a contender at the deadline or a club desperate for a stud D-man before the season starts

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't want to take Voynov, regardless of if he will play this coming season or be deported back to Russia. Why do LA a favour like that just to get Pearson when we're not hurting on the wings?

If you want to get a return for Buff just trade him to a contender at the deadline or a club desperate for a stud D-man before the season starts

I am more than a little puzzled that people still keep talking about trading Buff at the TD. Do you honestly believe there is anything more than the remotest of chances of that happening?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This weeks' Buff rumour... from the hockey press

Winnipeg Jets trade:

• Dustin Byfuglien

Philadelphia Flyers for:

• Brayden Schenn

• Nick Schultz

• Shayne Gotisbehere

• 2nd round draft pick

Schenn is interesting. But if the Jets are looking to fill Slaters C position with one of their own young guys, then Schenn is redundant. With Nick Schultz they get a stay at home guy, but lose a lot of offense on the back end by not having Buff.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
This weeks' Buff rumour... from the hockey press

Winnipeg Jets trade:

• Dustin Byfuglien

Philadelphia Flyers for:

• Brayden Schenn

• Nick Schultz

• Shayne Gotisbehere

• 2nd round draft pick

Schenn is interesting. But if the Jets are looking to fill Slaters C position with one of their own young guys, then Schenn is redundant. With Nick Schultz they get a stay at home guy, but lose a lot of offense on the back end by not having Buff.

Philly as a trade partner re: Buff.

Never seen that before...

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I am more than a little puzzled that people still keep talking about trading Buff at the TD. Do you honestly believe there is anything more than the remotest of chances of that happening?

I think there might be a chance if we're not in the playoff picture.... I was just trying to point out that IF you really wanted to, there are other ways to get a return on Big Buff rather than taking the LAK's trash. I'm not saying that's what I think will happen.

Personally I'd like to have him signed to a reasonable contract... hey, I can dream can't I?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If the Jets can sign Buff and Ladd and keep all of our upcoming UFA's I'm happy.

That being said, that would be a good trade for us IMO. Schenn has played on the wing as well, and would be where I think the Jets would play him. Gostisbehere is a very good skating offensive D man, and a lefty. Could be a nice pair on the left with Morrissey in a few years. And a second round pick is a nice add. Schultz isn't good, but only has 2 years left and isn't too expensive. Maybe a team would pick him up for a late pick.

That being said, this site to me is run by a couple of 10 year olds that know how to update a website. I don't put much stock in it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad