Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Besides I wouldn't be in a rush to trade away Comrie. He is looking pretty solid so far.

If we get to the point when we have both playing as a tandem in the NHL and they are both hopefully playing lights out (like a top duo in the NHL) then if we need to trade one of them (say Comrie for arguments sake)
That is when I would like to see the return on what we would get for him.

We have 2 maybe 3 very good goaltender prospects (plus Hutch). As difficult as it is predicting goalies we will be doing well if we get 1 above average starter and 1 good backup out of the 3. We still can't be sure which one will turn out the best of them. It is still possible that Hutch wins the starting job, Phillips becomes the backup and both Comrie and Helle bust. I don't want to part with any of them until the picture becomes more clear. Goaltending is too important and too hard to evaluate to go putting all our eggs in one (or 2) baskets.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What do people think of:
To Anaheim;
Buff - 20% salary retained

To Jets;
Cam Fowler

Ducks currently have
LHD - RHD
Hampus Lindholm - Kevin Bieksa
Cam Fowler - Sami Vatanen
Simon Despres - Josh Manson
Clayton Stoner
D Prospects;
Shea Theodore - L
Brandon Montour - R
Jacob Larsson - L
Josh Manson - R

That is a lot of LHD quality. Right side not so much. They could lose Fowler without missing a beat and could really use a high impact 1st pair RHD.

Jets on the other hand are overloaded on the right side, may be in danger of losing Buff for nothing and despite the emergence of Chiarot could still use help on the left side.

Biggest disadvantage for the Jets would be having to get by the Ducks with Buff in order to get to the SCF. I would be happy to be in the conference final with that problem. At least it is not in our Div.

Disadvantage for the Ducks would be having to sign Buff. Taking Fowler contributes 4 mil in cap space so they should be able to manage it. Not that it would be easy but doable if they choose.

What am I missing?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
What do people think of:
To Anaheim;

To Jets;
Cam Fowler

Ducks currently have
LHD - RHD
Clayton Stoner
D Prospects;
Shea Theodore - L
Brandon Montour - R
Jacob Larsson - L
Josh Manson - R

That is a lot of LHD quality. Right side not so much. They could lose Fowler without missing a beat and could really use a high impact 1st pair RHD.

Jets on the other hand are overloaded on the right side, may be in danger of losing Buff for nothing and despite the emergence of Chiarot could still use help on the left side.

Biggest disadvantage for the Jets would be having to get by the Ducks with Buff in order to get to the SCF. I would be happy to be in the conference final with that problem. At least it is not in our Div.

Disadvantage for the Ducks would be having to sign Buff. Taking Fowler contributes 4 mil in cap space so they should be able to manage it. Not that it would be easy but doable if they choose.

What am I missing?

The fact that the ducks would never trade Fowler for a UFA to be Byfugline

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Well that would be one thing. :)

Seems to me they should though. He could be the difference for them between a Stanley Cup and another also ran season and it is a price they can afford to pay. How much is a Cup worth?

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg

at the trade deadline, 3 teams in the east I would see a trade for Buff

T Bay Deangelo + a ist for Buff. Deangelo is a good defensive prospect.

Washington Conner Carrick another defensive prospect and a 1st or
Madison Bowey + a 3rd for Buff. High on Bowey Wpger.

Columbus Gabriel Karlson + 1st for Buff

Teams who have a chance to be in cup final with Buff able to give them a chance at cup.

Or depending how this season goes with our rookies maturing through the season we keep him for a run at the cup. How's that for optimism

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
What do people think of:
To Anaheim;

To Jets;
Cam Fowler

Ducks currently have
LHD - RHD
Clayton Stoner
D Prospects;
Shea Theodore - L
Brandon Montour - R
Jacob Larsson - L
Josh Manson - R

What am I missing?

I like how you raise the bar high in going for Fowler, but we would need to add, something significant as well.

I think Larsen, Despres or Theodore would be more likely targets...although Ducks fans have said forget it in the past to parting with Theodore.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013

Teams who have a chance to be in cup final with Buff able to give them a chance at cup.

Or depending how this season goes with our rookies maturing through the season we keep him for a run at the cup. How's that for optimism

Seen Bowey play quite a bit and like his game...but would like a bit more back than a 3rd..

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Nice enough analysis, some interesting possibilities there but I don't see any realistic chance of Buff being moved at the TD. At least not for futures. A trade that returns a player that could contribute to our own playoff run would be the only way and how likely is that?

I'm thinking that Christmas is roughly the end of the window for trading Buff. After that the playoffs are looming too close.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like how you raise the bar high in going for Fowler, but we would need to add, something significant as well.

I think Larsen, Despres or Theodore would be more likely targets...although Ducks fans have said forget it in the past to parting with Theodore.

I may be aiming too high but I honestly don't think so. Fowler is an above average 2nd pair D with some upside. Buff is an above average 1st pair D. He is not quite elite but close to it. If I am in fact mis-evaluating the 2 I wouldn't be averse to adding, within reason if it would avoid losing him for nothing. The nice thing about this to me is that we don't have to accept sacrificing the current season to get it done.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Having a winning team with two stars as upcoming UFAs puts Chevy in a really tough position. It almost seems like his only option is to pay up on their contract demands.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Having a winning team with two stars as upcoming UFAs puts Chevy in a really tough position. It almost seems like his only option is to pay up on their contract demands.

We don't know for certain what the truth is but if it is as reported about a week ago that he is asking for 6x6.5 and Chevy's best offer has been 6x5.8 we could certainly sweeten that offer enough to get 1 of them done. If those reported numbers are correct then surely 6x6.25 would get it done. That would be a good number for Ladd, IMO. It would be ridiculous to lose Ladd for the sake of a few hundred k out of 70 mil.

Once we are no longer dealing with 2 key players it becomes a little easier. Put the Buff negotiation on the front burner. Get a deal done in a couple of weeks or start shopping him.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Back at Fowler again, eh?

Ducks have:
LD Lindholm
LD Fowler
RD Bieksa
RD Vatanen
RD/LD Despres (he plays well on his offside, especially when paired with Fowler)
RD Manson (NHL ready)

LHP (left-handed pylon) Stoner - he ideally shouldn't be there
RD prospect Montour - close to ready
LD prospect Theodore - at least a year away
LD prospect Larsson - at the very least two years away

If anything, they need LD and they need to make Stoner disappear.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
There's no imminent trade incoming. We're 2-0. The only thing that would spark a trade is a serious losing streak. Right now we're rolling with what we got. All IMO of course.

I would hope the GM's plan wouldn't change drastically based on a streak, let alone a couple of early season wins. This kind of trade would have much bigger implications.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I would hope the GM's plan wouldn't change drastically based on a streak, let alone a couple of early season wins. This kind of trade would have much bigger implications.

I was just pointing out that very few trades are made this early in the season......it's usually team adversity that causes this kind of action......i suppose that adversity could come from elsewhere and someone is willing to overpay....but it's still to early for that IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Back at Fowler again, eh?

Ducks have:
LD Lindholm
LD Fowler
RD Bieksa
RD Vatanen
RD/LD Despres (he plays well on his offside, especially when paired with Fowler)
RD Manson (NHL ready)

LHP (left-handed pylon) Stoner - he ideally shouldn't be there
RD prospect Montour - close to ready
LD prospect Theodore - at least a year away
LD prospect Larsson - at the very least two years away

If anything, they need LD and they need to make Stoner disappear.

Yup. It beats surrendering and watching Buff walk. :)
Fair enough but if they play Depres on the left side it still works my way. That doesn't make Stoner go away. Is he really that bad? How about we sweeten the deal? They can have Stuart to play 3rd pair LHD. ;) There are no problems, only challenges to be overcome. :)

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

I could also see Florida as an option. They're rebuilding, but Tallon seems to want to accelerate the process and acquire some veterans, plus he seems to love the ex-Blackhawks he's familiar with.

For me the deal would have to start with Matheson and likely something like a lottery protected 1st. Not sure they'd be willing to let go of Matheson, but I can't see anything else there worth it.

I also really like Ian McCoshen, but I wouldn't make a deal centred around him, he's more a throw in type to even out value.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I was just pointing out that very few trades are made this early in the season......it's usually team adversity that causes this kind of action......i suppose that adversity could come from elsewhere and someone is willing to overpay....but it's still to early for that IMO.

If it happens, this shouldn't be an adversity driven trade. This is the kind of move that should be planned - there a strong logical reasons as to why it should happen. Losing Buff for nothing would be the greatest source of adversity here.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
If it happens, this shouldn't be an adversity driven trade. This is the kind of move that should be planned - there a strong logical reasons as to why it should happen. Losing Buff for nothing would be the greatest source of adversity here.

If it was planned wouldn't it be done already? I'm not arguing with your logic. These kind of trades just don't usually happen right out of training camp. More likely mid november. You have to have a willing partner. Most teams want to see what they have before shaking up their rosters.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Yup. It beats surrendering and watching Buff walk. :)
Fair enough but if they play Depres on the left side it still works my way. That doesn't make Stoner go away. Is he really that bad? How about we sweeten the deal? They can have Stuart to play 3rd pair LHD. ;) There are no problems, only challenges to be overcome. :)

Stoner is basically Stuart. He kinda works, when you pair him with a puck mover (aka Vatanen). Still, he's not good. The difference between ANA and WPG was that Stuart was often asked to be a top4 DMan, while Stoner was a 3rd pairing DMan most of the time.
Anyway, Anaheim is doing funny things. Trade for Bieksa, re-sign Bieksa, play Chris Stewart on a line with Getzlaf. I think Anaheim and common sense don't go well with each other.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So Buff for Marchand and Chara? :sarcasm: Could you imagine pairing Myers and Chara together?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What do people think of:
To Anaheim;

To Jets;
Cam Fowler

Ducks currently have
LHD - RHD
Clayton Stoner
D Prospects;
Shea Theodore - L
Brandon Montour - R
Jacob Larsson - L
Josh Manson - R

What am I missing?

I would jump for joy til my legs broke if Chevy could somehow swindle the Ducks into trading Cam Fowler for Dustin Byfuglien :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stoner is basically Stuart. He kinda works, when you pair him with a puck mover (aka Vatanen). Still, he's not good. The difference between ANA and WPG was that Stuart was often asked to be a top4 DMan, while Stoner was a 3rd pairing DMan most of the time.
Anyway, Anaheim is doing funny things. Trade for Bieksa, re-sign Bieksa, play Chris Stewart on a line with Getzlaf. I think Anaheim and common sense don't go well with each other.

Does that imply opportunity? :)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So Buff for Marchand and Chara? :sarcasm: Could you imagine pairing Myers and Chara together?

It would be an absolute nightmare against quick lines. They would get chewed up. Myers is good with a quick D like Enstrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad