Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
OK crazy tylenol t3 pain induced trade thought incoming...

NJD are wasting Schneiders talent. There's no reason to have a goalie like him in his prime wasting away. They need to do a rebuild, and he's in the way of that. I propose the following:

to the Jets:

Cory Schneider

To the Devils:

Ondrej Pavelec
Eric Comrie
2016 2nd
what else?

Last edited:

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg

NJD are wasting Schneiders talent. There's no reason to have a goalie like him in his prime wasting away. They need to do a rebuild, and he's in the way of that. I propose the following:

to the Jets:

Cory Schneider

To the Devils:

Ondrej Pavelec
Eric Comrie
2016 2nd
what else?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt Allan because of the T3's LOL but that is a terrible deal:laugh:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Mid level roster player, mid prospect, mid pick.

The value of Buff goes down by the day. Last year at the draft was probably his highest value. Especially with the way the league is heading now and GM's FINALLY figuring out that vet players rarely provide value relative to their cost, lots of teams might just wait for him to become a UFA.

afaic now Buff is a rental -- he's good as gone after this year.

Yup Chevy blew the opportunity to get something good for him. I just hope he is smart enough to sign him. Would hate to see an asset like him go to waste

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

to the Jets:

Cory Schneider

To the Devils:

Ondrej Pavelec
Eric Comrie
2016 2nd
what else?

The trade board response was predictably catty, contradictory, and exhibited questionable reading comprehension.

A+!

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

to the Jets:

Cory Schneider

To the Devils:

Ondrej Pavelec
Eric Comrie
2016 2nd
what else?

As much as I like Comrie I would do this I think. Imagine a Schneider/Hellebuyck combo.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I thought about what it would take to acquire Schneider or Rask over these first two games.

Unless the price is really good, I don't think we are quite there yet. In one year, when so many of our prospects have a year under their belt and the Buff/Ladd deal has worked itself out, then it could be the time.

I would think it would cost one of Helly/Comrie, a first, another forward prospect. Don't want to lose Petan or Connor at all.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm guessing the Jets sign Ladd and trade buff much closer to the TD after gaining the benefit of having him play for the team up till then. They will get less value of course as a rental, but call that the cost of using buff up till then by us as our own rental.

I see us getting a dman prospect and a pick.

Hunter, I just don't see that happening. Unless the Jets get a good young NHL D guy in return I can't see them trying to spin a trade of Byfuglien near the deadline to the fans and more importantly the team.

Overall I think Chevy has done well but this is going to be another big gaffe on his resume.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

to the Jets:

Cory Schneider

To the Devils:

Ondrej Pavelec
Eric Comrie
2016 2nd
what else?

I might be on drugs too but I don't want to do that deal. Yes, the in the moment Jet says YES! The logical Jet says 'why not, goalie prospects are so very volatile'

But overall I think that they might have FINALLY figured out that Pavelec is NOT a workhorse. If they can split the games near 50/50 as possible maybe we can continue to get playoff experience and then when Pavs comes off the books we'll still have Helle/Hutch here and Comrie in the AHL ready to eventually become the dynamic duo of HelleComrie!

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The question is do we want better goaltending over the next two years, and how much are we willing to pay for it?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The question is do we want better goaltending over the next two years, and how much are we willing to pay for it?

I will say if the Jets did this I'd probably be really happy. I just think we are so close to being rid of Pavelec for free...

It would be great to get Schneider though.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I might be on drugs too but I don't want to do that deal. Yes, the in the moment Jet says YES! The logical Jet says 'why not, goalie prospects are so very volatile'

But overall I think that they might have FINALLY figured out that Pavelec is NOT a workhorse. If they can split the games near 50/50 as possible maybe we can continue to get playoff experience and then when Pavs comes off the books we'll still have Helle/Hutch here and Comrie in the AHL ready to eventually become the dynamic duo of HelleComrie!

I don't do that deal and neither does NJ.

Pavelec for a start, OK. If they insisted on a goalie prospect I would give them Phillips but the thing they are going to want is young forwards>good F prospects>high picks. Schneider is not going to come cheap. If he is available there is an auction. Pav, Phillips, Lemieux and a 1st might get us to the second round of bidding.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I don't do that deal and neither does NJ.

Pavelec for a start, OK. If they insisted on a goalie prospect I would give them Phillips but the thing they are going to want is young forwards>good F prospects>high picks. Schneider is not going to come cheap. If he is available there is an auction. Pav, Phillips, Lemieux and a 1st might get us to the second round of bidding.

Not according to Devils fans. They want Trouba, Ehlers and Scheifele.

Or just Ehlers+...which is just as ridiculous but in a different way.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not according to Devils fans. They want Trouba, Ehlers and Scheifele.

Or just Ehlers+...which is just as ridiculous but in a different way.

Yeah, they are maybe aiming a little too high there but not by a lot. The thing is that they need both quality and quantity. I think they would be better off looking for 2 forwards a step lower than Scheif but that's just my opinion.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah, they are maybe aiming a little too high there but not by a lot. The thing is that they need both quality and quantity. I think they would be better off looking for 2 forwards a step lower than Scheif but that's just my opinion.

Wait... you think that Ehlers, Trouba and Scheifele is an overpayment for Schneider, but not by alot? :laugh:

Good lord, man. Have you seen the price of goalies in the NHL? I wouln't pay that price, for, well... Price.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
With the way we draft in the first round no way I'm giving that up.

I'd rather wait til Helle is ready.

Yep. Schneider is a helluva goalie, but we potentially have a Helle-va goalie on his way, along with Comrie. Also not sure where Hutch is going to land in terms of a starter either.

If the Jets were "sure fire" contenders, perhaps I'd consider a blockbuster, but I think our window is somewhere between this year, and 2-3 years from now before we're considered one of the favourites for the SC.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hunter, I just don't see that happening. Unless the Jets get a good young NHL D guy in return I can't see them trying to spin a trade of Byfuglien near the deadline to the fans and more importantly the team.

Overall I think Chevy has done well but this is going to be another big gaffe on his resume.

Agreed, I think Chevy overplayed his hand. This likely isn't going to end well for us.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Schneider is a great goalie. But I'd be extremely cautious when it comes to trading for a goalie over the age of 30.

He isn't over 30. He is 29. With similar birth dates he is almost exactly 4 years younger than Lundqvist. He is in his prime.

I had advocated for acquiring Schneider earlier but I don't think he would be worth the price to us. I'm not worried about his current age but he is under contract for 7 years at 6 mil per. Considering the promise of our goaltending, Pav's (so far :crossfing) improved play and 2 year shelf life I just can't see risking 42 mil$ cap space. BTW he also has a NTC. I don't know if it is full or limited but it equals additional risk as well as difficulty getting him.

Pav and Hutch between them are playing well right now and we have 3 good prospects. All are much cheaper and less risky than Schneider. Even if the price were as cheap as this original proposal I don't think I would want to take on that risk.

That said I think NJD would be .... ummm, foolish not to trade him to the highest bidder if they can get him to waive. He'll be past his best before date before goaltending really matters much to them. They have a long way to go.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Besides I wouldn't be in a rush to trade away Comrie. He is looking pretty solid so far.

If we get to the point when we have both playing as a tandem in the NHL and they are both hopefully playing lights out (like a top duo in the NHL) then if we need to trade one of them (say Comrie for arguments sake)
That is when I would like to see the return on what we would get for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad