Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I agree that this winning is probably sustainable, but I also think that its time that the Jets made the necessary moves to make this team stronger. bottom line comes to mind...and its a piss off that its like this because how hard is it to fix your fourth ****ing line?

For sure: a better 4th line (which I think we could probably get with pieces that are currently IN the organization), and a #4D to pair with Trouba to allow Stuart to move down to the 3rd pairing, and I think this team would be a LOT stronger. Would allow some of the minutes to be shifted to the 4th, allowing the other 3 lines to stay fresher.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't disagree, but the Jets need to **** or get off the pot before the TD. Go all in our bail out, instead of just doing nothing like they did in the first three years. To be a serious threat we need at least one more top 9 firward and a top 4 LHD. We're not a serious threat with this lineup as it stands now, we're just what we are and have been for 3.25 years.....bubble team.

Forgot we need a 4th line.

I don't really agree with this or the pessimism in general, but to each their own.

They need two pieces imo, one more top 6 winger and a 2nd pairing LHD to push them into the top third imo. We may have both in the system in Ehlers and Morrissey. If not they can likely grab one in FA next year just as they grabbed Perrault last summer. Or they can make a 3rd and 4th pick for one this year at the TD.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Disagree on what part?

This part:

not a serious threat with this lineup as it stands now, we're just what we are and have been for 3.25 years.....bubble team.

I think there's something different this year - I think we can make the playoffs with this line-up. Could we make things easier on ourselves if we brought in some additional help? For sure: I'd like to see the 4th line strengthened, which would help our depth when injuries happen as well, and I'd like to see a 2nd pairing D brought in to push Stuart to the 3rd pair.

But I think we can make the playoffs without those changes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I really agree and identify with what your saying in the bold. I'm torn, I HATE losing but seeing this team win just makes us draft worse. At the same time I don't see any better results this year, nothing but a meh bubble team pissing away another year. No mans land again and if we get very lucky and sqeak into the playoffs we will lose quickly in the first round. Yet no trades, I don't see Chipman loosening up the purse strings, thus no mans land.

Not calling for tank, never have, but start a mini tweak to team to boost our team's future. Trade 1-2 main players to achieve this, get young players, picks back. If we don't do anything this TD again, I might pull out all my hair. Frolik walks I will go crazy. We sign Buff long term I'll shake my head.

This year is critical, if Chevy blows this my rating of him goes from a C to a F just like that. Can't use our heart to make decisions, we have to use our minds. Sitting on our hands again is failure.

So what is your magic pill? This team looks to be ready and willing battle right down to the end. We have one of the youngest teams in the league. We have an unusually high amount of high first round picks as it is. Most of which are in their prime are starting to move into it. We have most of our players signed long term. We have a ton a cap space to resign players and add to the roster. And our prospect pool is moving into the top 3rd range.

So why to we want to continue to fail to get a marginally higher mid 1st round pick instead of starting to get the playoff experience this team needs to continue developing?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So what is your magic pill? This team looks to be ready and willing battle right down to the end. We have one of the youngest teams in the league. We have an unusually high amount of high first round picks as it is. Most of which are in their prime are starting to move into it. We have most of our players signed long term. We have a ton a cap space to resign players and add to the roster. And our prospect pool is moving into the top 3rd range.

So why to we want to continue to fail to get a marginally higher mid 1st round pick instead of starting to get the playoff experience this team needs to continue developing?

I agree with this. Maybe we can move one or two of our older guys for younger NHL players, but I think most of the teams holes are able to be filled by some of our prospects. We also have plenty of room to add players in the off season. If the team say landed a Marc Staal it would push us way ahead.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Winning games? We're just over 500, just like the first three years, were a bubble team just like the first three years. What's so much better this year vs the first three years? Results are the same and yet we do nothing to change.

8-4-3 in a very tough November sounds like winning some games to me. I too disagree with your characterization of the team. I enjoy watching them play this year way more. We play hard.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
8-4-3 in a very tough November sounds like winning some games to me. I too disagree with your characterization of the team. I enjoy watching them play this year way more. We play hard.

Thats fine and dandy but can you in your wildest dreams see us going anywhere with the depth we currently have. 4th line even when we're healthy can't even be trusted to play 4 mins a game. Wears down everybody else & what do you get -- a pile of injuries. Now you're left distributing these 4th liners into the top 9 and call up a few lesser lights from the AHL.

CBJ made the playoffs last year and thought they had the makings of a team to go even further this year. Where are they - a few key injuries and they're fighting for last place with the Sabres. Same with the Hurricanes - decimated by injuries.

As you say, we have a very interesting team to watch this year, but the roller coaster is riding high right now. Just can't see it staying that way, and if the injury bug hits us like it normally does - look out.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Thats fine and dandy but can you in your wildest dreams see us going anywhere with the depth we currently have.

Yes. I don't think it's a fluke (that record) I see no reason why we can't keep it up. Maybe we will, maybe we won't. I'm not gonna write off the season at this point as some here seem to want to do.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'll put this out there for discussion. We have Hutchinson looking solid in Winnipeg, Helleybuck is performing very well in St. John's. Next year we have Eric Comrie becoming a pro. As much as fans are clamouring for Hutchinson and Helleybuck to be the starting tandem next year, that seems highly improbable. It would be quite an inexperienced tandem, and given the Jets development record, you would think they want Helleybuck to play regularly, as he is on the farm, whereas, in Winnipeg, unless he was in a direct platoon, that may not present itself as an opportunity. Further complicating the matter is the fact that having Pavelec in our organization is significant if we are attempting to re-sign Michael Frolik. So the question I have then is if we go with the status quo goaltending here next year, and we want to continue Helleybuck in his development, do we consider using Eric Comrie as a trade asset, as we also have Jamie Phillips who make take over in St. John's once Helleybuck is promoted? Or should we keep the stable full? And somehow find a way to make it work (maybe loaning a goalie to another affiliate)? Do you think we could land Jordan Eberle per chance, for Comrie?

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
The way I see it, the injury bug could hit alot of teams that are playoff bubble teams just like us, There are not too many teams that can withstand alot of injuries unless you are an elite team.

The Jets are playing well right now, have made huge strides in deflating the goals against, are playing a much better team game. There is a few teams that made the playoffs last year in the west that are faltering so far.

So I don't get this anguish of what may or may not happen, but to each their own. I for one will enjoy the ride.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'll put this out there for discussion. We have Hutchinson looking solid in Winnipeg, Helleybuck is performing very well in St. John's. Next year we have Eric Comrie becoming a pro. As much as fans are clamouring for Hutchinson and Helleybuck to be the starting tandem next year, that seems highly improbable. It would be quite an inexperienced tandem, and given the Jets development record, you would think they want Helleybuck to play regularly, as he is on the farm, whereas, in Winnipeg, unless he was in a direct platoon, that may not present itself as an opportunity. Further complicating the matter is the fact that having Pavelec in our organization is significant if we are attempting to re-sign Michael Frolik. So the question I have then is if we go with the status quo goaltending here next year, and we want to continue Helleybuck in his development, do we consider using Eric Comrie as a trade asset, as we also have Jamie Phillips who make take over in St. John's once Helleybuck is promoted? Or should we keep the stable full? And somehow find a way to make it work (maybe loaning a goalie to another affiliate)? Do you think we could land Jordan Eberle per chance, for Comrie?

That last question......no.

The rest we'll see. If Hutch somehow wrestles the #1 spot away from Pavs then Pav is expendable next summer, although god know where with that contract. Budaj could backup Hutch until Hellebuyck is ready to push.

Goalies are like pitchers, can't have enough.......unless they make too much money for the return.

I don't see why having Pav influences Frolik, he had ample opportunity to stay with his buddy Pav with what the Jets offered, he said no, money talks.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't really agree with this or the pessimism in general, but to each their own.

They need two pieces imo, one more top 6 winger and a 2nd pairing LHD to push them into the top third imo. We may have both in the system in Ehlers and Morrissey. If not they can likely grab one in FA next year just as they grabbed Perrault last summer. Or they can make a 3rd and 4th pick for one this year at the TD.

You don't get top 6 wingers and top 4 D for a 3rd and a 4th. Which of our current top 6 wingers is inadequate?

We need a 2LHD and we need to use the best players available on our 4th line. Maybe that means Lowry at 4C in which case we need a 3rd line F but I think Lowry is going to become 3C. He'll develop some scoring. We really don't need that much if our goaltending holds up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You don't get top 6 wingers and top 4 D for a 3rd and a 4th. Which of our current top 6 wingers is inadequate?

We need a 2LHD and we need to use the best players available on our 4th line. Maybe that means Lowry at 4C in which case we need a 3rd line F but I think Lowry is going to become 3C. He'll develop some scoring. We really don't need that much if our goaltending holds up.

Ideally I would like to upgrade Frolik or Buff on the wing but it isn't that pressing of an issue. I think Frolik is a perfect 3rd winger. Perrault is another high end 2nd/3rd liner. If Lowry develops some offense than we have the makings of a very strong third line.

I do agree that the 2nd pairing is the bigger problem spot at the moment thought. I;d be going hard after Staal this summer. I would be quite fine with a big overpay, he'd give this team an elite 2nd pair with Trouba and it would take some pressure off of Enstrom and Bogo.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Ideally I would like to upgrade Frolik or Buff on the wing but it isn't that pressing of an issue. I think Frolik is a perfect 3rd winger. Perrault is another high end 2nd/3rd liner. If Lowry develops some offense than we have the makings of a very strong third line.

I do agree that the 2nd pairing is the bigger problem spot at the moment thought. I;d be going hard after Staal this summer. I would be quite fine with a big overpay, he'd give this team an elite 2nd pair with Trouba and it would take some pressure off of Enstrom and Bogo.

I'd like Staal too. It will cost over $6 mill per though.

He comes in, someone else goes out, IMO. Internal budget reasons.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
In the realm of Did I Hear that Correctly? PJ Stock on Hockey Central just picked the Jets as his Dark Horse favourite in the Western Conference. PJ Stock noted Jets hater in the past has turned into a believer. I'll take this and not even consider the general quality of PJ Stock's general hockey knowledge.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Frolik and Buff aren't top 6 so we are talking top 9 which is quite different. I'm disappointed in Buff's scoring so far but he is only 1 of several Jets who are not scoring. I think he is playing well so the results should come. If not well then I agree we need an upgrade there. I wouldn't call Frolik a 3rd liner. He is more of a floater (I mean that in the good way). He can fit in anywhere, a very valuable utility man. Marc Staal might be ideal at 2LHD for us but he might just cost too much. I'd be happy to get him if the cost doesn't go through the roof.

Perreault has so much skill he can fit in anywhere as well. I think we are going to like him more and more as time goes by.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Going after an overrated guy like Marc Staal for 5+ years at $5M+ instead of waiting for Morrissey to grow into the role is the kind of move that prevents you from holding a great team together when you finally have one.

When Morrissey is a good enough NHL player to bump Stuart down a line, that's what will happen.

No use wasting salary and cap space on a name brand when PC or Kirkland will do just fine.

Ehlers will be that middle six winger we are missing.

Burmistrov is an option if, for whatever reason, Frolik decided to bolt.

Petan is a bit more of a wild card but there's a good chance he could work his way onto the club.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This part:

I think there's something different this year - I think we can make the playoffs with this line-up. Could we make things easier on ourselves if we brought in some additional help? For sure: I'd like to see the 4th line strengthened, which would help our depth when injuries happen as well, and I'd like to see a 2nd pairing D brought in to push Stuart to the 3rd pair.

But I think we can make the playoffs without those changes.

I never said this team couldn't make the playoffs (although I doubt it) I said were not a serious threat. I said were a bubble team nothing more as it stands. We will sqeak in or just miss out on the playoffs. If we sqeak in we'll lose first round, no real chance. This is all being said if we do nothing again this year. As we close in on the TD we need to decide are we going for it or not, if we want to go for it we need to do something not sit on our hands.

My issue is were pretty far from being a serious threat we need too much. We need another top 6/9 forward, top 4 LHD and a MUCH better 4th line. I still have serious questions about our goaltending, still not convinced Pavs suddenly is a real goalie, too small sample on Hutch to claim he's of saviour even if Paul played him more.

Some think I'm being too negative, how so? What have I said above that's so negative? We all know these facts. Are we suddenly going to open the vault spend all this extra money and trade away futures to get what we need? That would be a big change in TN's operating.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I never said this team couldn't make the playoffs (although I doubt it) I said were not a serious threat. I said were a bubble team nothing more as it stands. We will sqeak in or just miss out on the playoffs. If we sqeak in we'll lose first round, no real chance. This is all being said if we do nothing again this year. As we close in on the TD we need to decide are we going for it or not, if we want to go for it we need to do something not sit on our hands.

My issue is were pretty far from being a serious threat we need too much. We need another top 6/9 forward, top 4 LHD and a MUCH better 4th line. I still have serious questions about our goaltending, still not convinced Pavs suddenly is a real goalie, too small sample on Hutch to claim he's of saviour even if Paul played him more.

Some think I'm being too negative, how so? What have I said above that's so negative? We all know these facts. Are we suddenly going to open the vault spend all this extra money and trade away futures to get what we need? That would be a big change in TN's operating.

I could see them making a minor move to bring in another 3/4th line winger to help the 4th line and in case of injuries. Like a 4th round pick or something.

As for the top six wing, second pair D and goalie? They are developing. Not arriving via UFA unless there's a real exceptional fit.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Anybody that has watched this team since 2010 or soon after can tell this is easily the best they've been since. We have better depth, better defensive play, better goaltending. There's no reason to think we can't make the playoffs. And yeah we might not go anywhere if/when we get there, but I know we'll put up a heck of a fight.

But yes it would be nice and a good idea to add a piece or two by the TD. We need the depth now. Can't imagine how bad we'll need it in several months. One major injury to a key player and we're in trouble.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Here's where I'm at: the things you're describing are probably in the system, and on their way either next year or the following. I'd love to see the Jets make the playoffs this hear, then push deadweight out next year with players like Morrissey, Petan, and Ehlers.

So: if we can get a date to the playoffs with the team structured the way it is, we can push further next year with some additional talent. Move Buff in the off-season to balance the lineup and add increased depth. This will have huge ramifications for the 4th line, and overall strength of the roster.

Morrissey on the second pairing is possible. Imagine:

Enstrom Bogo
Morrissey Trouba
Stuart Postma
Clitsome/Purdy/Etc.

That looks a heck of a lot better. This is why I'm not concerned at this point.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
In the realm of Did I Hear that Correctly? PJ Stock on Hockey Central just picked the Jets as his Dark Horse favourite in the Western Conference. PJ Stock noted Jets hater in the past has turned into a believer. I'll take this and not even consider the general quality of PJ Stock's general hockey knowledge.

And the choice was interesting because he picked Detroit in the east. This wasn't about squeaking in but being a darkhorse in the playoffs. Reid chose Boston and Minnesota. PJ gave him the gears for picking a preseason favourite as a darkhorse.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
And the choice was interesting because he picked Detroit in the east. This wasn't about squeaking in but being a darkhorse in the playoffs. Reid chose Boston and Minnesota. PJ gave him the gears for picking a preseason favourite as a darkhorse.

That's because this team looks like it could be built for the playoffs.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Here's where I'm at: the things you're describing are probably in the system, and on their way either next year or the following. I'd love to see the Jets make the playoffs this hear, then push deadweight out next year with players like Morrissey, Petan, and Ehlers.

So: if we can get a date to the playoffs with the team structured the way it is, we can push further next year with some additional talent. Move Buff in the off-season to balance the lineup and add increased depth. This will have huge ramifications for the 4th line, and overall strength of the roster.

Morrissey on the second pairing is possible. Imagine:

Enstrom Bogo
Morrissey Trouba
Stuart Postma
Clitsome/Purdy/Etc.

That looks a heck of a lot better. This is why I'm not concerned at this point.

I don't disagree that within two years (that was my whole arguement in July/August) we should look much better as prospects break into the team. But this means Ladd and Buff need to be dealt with between now and then. I think we trade Buff this TD for a young NHL roster player (potential top 6 forward), attempt to resign (once we can legally discuss contract) Ladd (as long as reasonable demands).

My POV is trading Buff this TD to get a higher return is better than what he'll add to the team if we keep him for a playoff spot/series. Next year I see Pétan and JoMorr (Ehlers no) maybe making the team, not sure about any of the 4th line type prospects. But none of this helps us this year, we're going no where this year aka bubble team (fail by a hair or kicked quickly in first round). I can't see either Chevy or Chipman giving away the futures/big cash to get what we need to be a serious threat this year. So as I said this year is a meh year, go through the motions, see what you can achieve with what you got without any big additions from Chevy (just like years 1-3). So this is why I'm bummed about this year, it's a nothing year. Next year might be a bit better depending how things go and two years should be much more interesting. This will be 6 years before were competitive serious team.....that's a long time to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad