Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
From the last thread:

Too much is made of that. A lot of players who go on to have good careers get waived early on. He was our 2LD before he got hurt last year and seemed to play pretty well during the exhibitions. I thought he should still be on the second pair but am not surprised that Stu is ahead of him. They like Stu. But he is now behind Pardy who was also a waiver pick up.
Edit: Point is I'd expect more for him if he was playing 2nd pair for us. Would we have scored fewer goals in the last 9 periods with him in the line-up?

From the Maurice post practice interview. It sure didn't sound like our head coach is impressed with his game. He isn't getting in the lineup anytime soon unless there's an injury.

You are assuming they are trying to trade Clitsome; perhaps they are instead trying to trade someone like Postma (a recent reintroduction to the lineup and as such a likely candidate to have been showcased). That would indeed be an example of marketing a player.

Actually they signed Pardy as a free agent I believe, but nevertheless I get your point

Right you are. I stand corrected. Still, he was available for a low $$ contract and no assets.

Agreed. I'd also like to point out that the arguably the Jets' greatest asset was acquired as an RFA--along with another alternate captain in Stuart--in exchange for a waiver wire pickup (Peverley) and a player who had cleared waivers somewhat recently at the time (Valabik).

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Pens could free up a ton of cap space without sacrificing much in terms of offensive talent :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Brandon Gormley may be wanting out of Arizona, I hope the Jets are at least inquiring.

What do you think it would take?

TBH I have lost all faith in Chevy EVER making a significant trade. I keep hoping that something will happen to improve this team but it never does. Gormley could be that something but at what cost?

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg

TBH I have lost all faith in Chevy EVER making a significant trade. I keep hoping that something will happen to improve this team but it never does. Gormley could be that something but at what cost?

Id trade them Lowry for Gormley

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg

They'd probably want a good forward prospect or a young already NHL established guy..Maybe Nic Petan? Not sure.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They'd probably want a good forward prospect or a young already NHL established guy..Maybe Nic Petan? Not sure.

No way I give them Petan right now. The Jets might though. I'd give them Lowry but Maurice wouldn't like that. On second thought, I would consider Petan. I was thinking that his potential is too high and still unknown. The 2 are almost the same age and Gormley's upside is maybe even better. We need D. Have to be willing to give up something to get something, right?

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Talent Analysis

A talented two-way defenseman, Gormley provides skill, poise, and leadership on the back-end. Although he is an all-around defenseman, Gormley is developing into an exceptional offensive player with lethal power-play skills. His ability as a distributor, his hard, accurate shot, and strong in-zone work makes him one of the best defensive prospects in hockey.

Sounds like he would be great on a line with Trouba or Bogosian.

With how flat the Jets have looked to start the season, I hope Chevy is at least listening to offers.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
No way I give them Petan right now. The Jets might though. I'd give them Lowry but Maurice wouldn't like that. On second thought, I would consider Petan. I was thinking that his potential is too high and still unknown. The 2 are almost the same age and Gormley's upside is maybe even better. We need D. Have to be willing to give up something to get something, right?

Gormley would be a great asset for us, fits into the young core, already better than Stuart or Clitsome so would slide into our 2nd pairing LD alot better than them. And still has room to get better. We can't realistically think we'll be able to get him for scraps, and they are a team like us who probaby want to build on their younger core, and they could use forward help. Nic Petan seems to fit the bill best from us who is someone that would suck to lose, but would make it worthwhile for them to consider.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I'd tie a bow around Petan, and drive him to Arizona if we could get Gormley in return.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Byfuglien for Gormley+ ?

Personally I wouldn't trade Petan unless we are getting an established nhl player.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
They do not have the money for Buff, Petan might be the piece to get them to move him we are so week on LD.

Not to mention that Enstrom seems to have lost an edge over the last couple years and has been taking a beating in the west. If he went down with injury, our LD is scary bad.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Byfuglien for Gormley+ ?

Personally I wouldn't trade Petan unless we are getting an established nhl player.

That was my first thought but I reconsidered. Gormley has 131 pro games under his belt including 5 in the NHL. That is a lot more prepared than Petan. Petan could develop into a top 6 winger. Gormley is more highly rated to develop into a top 4 D with more chance of top 2 than Petan has of top 3. Good D is harder to find than good wingers. We have more of a shortage on D than F. Gormley could help us now.

Much as I would hate to part with Petan it would be a good risk.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Not to mention that Enstrom seems to have lost an edge over the last couple years and has been taking a beating in the west. If he went down with injury, our LD is scary bad.

:amazed: Don't joke about such things :shakehead That would be awful. You have to think though if Enstrom got injured Chevy would be forced to act. Or maybe, some callup from the 'Caps would be the saviour.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
no way Lowry is a keeper would rather offer Petan but Gormley has not done anything in NHL If they took Clitsome we all would be happy

Clitsome? They wouldn't do that ..... ever.

You and Maurice agree on Lowry. I don't know why. Maybe he will show me tonight. They say he plays a smart game, that he goes to the right places. I can see that but he has no idea what to do when he gets there other than run over somebody. With a couple of decent wingers maybe he creates some space for them that way. We'll see. Good hockey IQ but absolutely zero skills. Maybe they develop but you'd think that if there was any ability there it would have developed by now. At any rate I'm still withholding judgement on him. Somebody offers me a good prospect for him though and he's gone if I had any say in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad