Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Ducks, Wed. 10/13, 9PM CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Thankfully it’s not the old days before the comprehensive regional TV deals. Back then we use to take the crumbs to watch. Today we get it all on TV so I could give a shit less if they don’t want our tiny market tainting their national ratings. I embrace that part of our identity and relish the role.

Amen to that. When we were cleaning out my dad's place a few years ago we found an old newspaper with the broadcast schedule in it.. around a dozen or so games on CKND, a couple in TO on a Saturday and maybe 1 HNIC from Winnipeg.

I often think of this when I am out somewhere watching on my phone and the stream keeps pixelating :)

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
Amen to that. When we were cleaning out my dad's place a few years ago we found an old newspaper with the broadcast schedule in it.. around a dozen or so games on CKND, a couple in TO on a Saturday and maybe 1 HNIC from Winnipeg.

I often think of this when I am out somewhere watching on my phone and the stream keeps pixelating :)
I remember those days well. Those rare weeknight CKND Jets games were a very big deal when they came around.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I just think it's a questionable long-term strategy for marketing the NHL in Canada to continue to throw all their eggs in the Leafs and (to a lesser extent) Habs baskets, instead of marketing all seven teams more evenly, as clubs/brands rather than as local representatives. I've noticed on NFL advertising they don't even say the city names very much anymore (which I notice because, not being a fan, I'm constantly forced to try to remember where the "Titans" are from, etc.). Same with soccer/football, where no one cares that Manchester and Barcelona are miles down the list of economic powerhouses of Europe.

It’s interesting I think their business strategy makes sense for the regular season. They know their power markets and understand their numbers. leafs Habs = money.

Euro Football is so massive and so global that it’s hard to compare. Even NFL football is such a big business. They have such lucrative business models.

NHL is a pretty tiny brand comparatively with way too many struggling teams.

Ok I had to check the thread title. I am getting a bit OT here so

Beat the Ducks

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thankfully it’s not the old days before the comprehensive regional TV deals. Back then we use to take the crumbs to watch. Today we get it all on TV so I could give a shit less if they don’t want our tiny market tainting their national ratings. I embrace that part of our identity and relish the role.

The less HNIC, the better.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I could give a tiny shit less about who else watches us. I just want a crew that doesn't make me barf in my mouth when I watch.

I like Dennis - he is obviously a big fan. I would LOVE someone different doing color, even someone like Jennifer Botteril who could actually analyze what is happening and how the team is playing without throwing out ambiguous platitudes and generalities.

I really liked Beyak and Hnidy. Sawyer is “too much”. Dan Dierdorf was so annoying as an NFL color man because he overdid it with exaggerated superlatives. Kevin has fallen into that trap. Either way I tend to PVR and skip over most of his stuff.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They'll be forced to broadcast the Jets in the playoffs, with Calgary, Ottawa and Montreal not making the post-season, and Vancouver, Edmonton and Toronto not making it out of their division.
You think the Canucks are making the playoffs with that defense?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
You think the Canucks are making the playoffs with that defense?
Have you seen the Canuck's schedule?
A lot of the teams playing in Vancouver are either playing back to back or 3 games in 4 nights in fact both of the Jet games in Vancouver are back to back and their 3rd game in 4 nights ... that's an advantage especially if you have to play Comrie on the second night.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Ughh...start time 9 pm.

howard-the-duck-you-got-a-beer.gif

Ughh...game on Sportsnet.

824f0139ff648d85dd4b3af97c37f317a2706149.gifv

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nope. I think it is dumb that the NHL blacks out regional broadcasts and refuse to pay more. I pay for TSN so I should be able to watch all of it. I just watch games online now.

As long as you have figured out how to get access. The cable distribution model is so broken and flawed.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Here in the south west of France we enjoy our duck meat... Open season for the Jets on our season opener!

I've just gone back to uni to start post-grad so there's next to no way in hell I'll be staying up to watch our games this season... Again. It makes me sad because our team is looking so much better this year, bar Comrie. Just know I'll be lurking and reading your posts.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Here in the south west of France we enjoy our duck meat... Open season for the Jets on our season opener!

I've just gone back to uni to start post-grad so there's next to no way in hell I'll be staying up to watch our games this season... Again. It makes me so because our team is looking so much better this year, bar Comrie. Just know I'll be lurking and reading your posts.
I mean, there are ways to watch after the fact :)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I really liked Beyak and Hnidy. Sawyer is “too much”. Dan Dierdorf was so annoying as an NFL color man because he overdid it with exaggerated superlatives. Kevin has fallen into that trap. Either way I tend to PVR and skip over most of his stuff.

Yeah Beyak being so good makes it harder/worse. Without him it would be easy to just watch the opposing team's feed (and I have gone entire seasons in the past watching the opposing feed), but I wanna hear his PBP. This year I am likely gonna go to the opposing team feed again, Jets games are often rage inducing as is without the color commentator pissing you off :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad