Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 5-2 (Pettersson, Miller)

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Don't be surprised when we are top 4 next year challenging for #2 behind Vegas.

giphy (19).gif

Just as predicted this would be a down year as Bennings incompetence would finally catch up to him...next season is looking to be just as bad with a very good possibility of taking another step backwards...even with a new GM.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Markstrom is on IR, again.

Tanev is the worst rated defenseman in Calgary (per daily face-off).

Toffoli has 4 points in his last 10 games and 7 points in the 15 games that they didn't play us while getting top line minutes and #1 PP duties.

I know the narrative is we really screwed up letting these guys go but the reality is we really didn't. The only deal that I would have liked is Toffoli but he hasn't been lighting up the scoreboard either.

Our team has issues but not having Markstrom on IR isn't one.
Seems to be that way...
Choosing Demko over Markstrom proving to be right call by Canucks | Offside

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I thought that Canucks got off to a good start in yesterdays game..The effort level was there in the first 2 periods, but the execution wasn't....I've thought that there isn't much of difference between the two teams, in the sense that they are usually close games (obviously last night went sideways at the end)...The Jets play with more discipline in their game.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Montreal has one of the deepest forward groups in the NHL and Winnipeg has great forwards + Vezina goaltender. And of course, Edmonton and Toronto where the 2 best players in the world reside.

We are going to do better in the Pacific because California is 3 bad teams with old, unmotivated players. They are using random young players in the bottom 6 compared to strong teams like Montreal who have Phillip Danault and Corey Perry in their bottom 6. You must only tune in for Vancouver games.

Don't be surprised when we are top 4 next year challenging for #2 behind Vegas.
Edler is already showing signs of age. Another year of mileage on his body means he will even more aged assuming he is still on the team. Schmidt can't be triple shifted. We have little cap room though cap space & Benning don't go together.

Reactions: mossey3535

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Edler is already showing signs of age. Another year of mileage on his body means he will even more aged assuming he is still on the team. Schmidt can't be triple shifted. We have little cap room though cap space & Benning don't go together.

The defence needs a whole new strategy and approach. I'm not opposed to bringing Edler back for a 1-year deal sub $4m, but his minutes need to be controlled. Hughes needs a good consistent partner and also cannot be over relied upon. A big acquisition needs to be made to upgrade on the right side, and a damn good coach needs to be behind this makup.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The defence needs a whole new strategy and approach. I'm not opposed to bringing Edler back for a 1-year deal sub $4m, but his minutes need to be controlled. Hughes needs a good consistent partner and also cannot be over relied upon. A big acquisition needs to be made to upgrade on the right side, and a damn good coach needs to be behind this makup.

I wonder how Hughes and Schmidt would play together but it's never even been tried because of dinosaur thinking that you can't play two smaller defenders together.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yes, last year, with them, we were a lotto team but the season ended early and we made the playoffs.

This year we are a lotto team.

Not signing those guys saved us from their terrible contracts, save for Toffoli, which in theory, will help us be less crappy later.

Seems like signing Holtby as a backup for the Markstrom money may have been a mistake which will extend the crap timeline.
Holtby has played some tidy games for the Canucks (going into last nights game his record was 4-5-1), but has that tendency to let in a weak goal a game (usually in the 3rd, when the games on the line)..A lot of his losses are not on him though, I think they are indicative of the poor play in front of him, ..especially in the first 15 games.

Demko seems to finding his 'in the bubble' game, and is clearly the #1 goalie ..Imagine the complaining around here if we had given Marky the NMC/6 year deal in the off season, and were forced to trade Demko?

In due course, I believe that were going to see an ageing out/injured Tanev on the IR as well.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Holtby has played some tidy games for the Canucks (going into last nights game his record was 4-5-1), but has that tendency to let in a weak goal a game (usually in the 3rd, when the games on the line)..A lot of his losses are not on him though, I think they are indicative of the poor play in front of him, ..especially in the first 15 games.

Demko seems to finding his 'in the bubble' game, and is clearly the #1 goalie ..Imagine the complaining around here if we had given Marky the NMC/6 year deal in the off season, and were forced to trade Demko?

In due course, I believe that were going to see an ageing out/injured Tanev on the IR as well.

In the context of we are making the playoffs this year (see jimbos comments and aquas before the season) it was dumb.

in the context of this team is crap and needs to rebuild for two more years (this year and next) before we have a hope fo being a consistent playoff team it was the right move.

we all know jimbo thinks this is a playoff team

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
In the context of we are making the playoffs this year (see jimbos comments and aquas before the season) it was dumb.

in the context of this team is crap and needs to rebuild for two more years (this year and next) before we have a hope fo being a consistent playoff team it was the right move.

we all know jimbo thinks this is a playoff team
Did they say 'we are a playoff team', or they expected to make the playoffs?...There is a difference.

The team is not rebuilding..A rebuild involves 'core players'..The core players are here, the work needs to be done with the supporting cast.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Holtby is a -4.0 goals saved above expected, a lot of the goals actually are his fault.

We are not getting even close to our money's worth for him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Holtby is a -4.0 goals saved above expected, a lot of the goals actually are his fault.

We are not getting even close to our money's worth for him.
No argument from me, that he hasn't come as advertised..However, I stick to my point about him (and Demko) being hung out to dry , earlier in the season......

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Am I just a homer or was the reffing in that game, especially the 3rd period, absolutely trash in favour of the Jets? Can't count the number of times Hoglander is getting yanked and held up on the boards, Petey should have drawn at least 2 penalties for similar reasons. Plus every time we get the puck in deep Jets d-men are taking 3-4 strides to the right/left to and playing the man a couple seconds after the puck is in the corner. Any one notice this or am I high?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He's been shit for two and a half years, he came exactly as advertised.
He wasn't always shit, ..5 years ago he was the best goalie on the planet..One of the reasons he came to the Canucks was to train under Ian Clark, to try and regain his form (obviously , he's still a work in progress).

A short term (2 year) gamble.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Did they say 'we are a playoff team', or they expected to make the playoffs?...There is a difference.

The team is not rebuilding..A rebuild involves 'core players'..The core players are here, the work needs to be done with the supporting cast.
What’s the difference in saying you’re a playoff team and saying you expect the team to make the playoffs.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Am I just a homer or was the reffing in that game, especially the 3rd period, absolutely trash in favour of the Jets? Can't count the number of times Hoglander is getting yanked and held up on the boards, Petey should have drawn at least 2 penalties for similar reasons. Plus every time we get the puck in deep Jets d-men are taking 3-4 strides to the right/left to and playing the man a couple seconds after the puck is in the corner. Any one notice this or am I high?
I noticed it as well, in the first, JT miller received a flagrant two hander across the ankles from Jets defender ..Refs looked the other way.
I don't think that there was any reffing conspiracy against the Canucks last night..but it was terribly inconsistent.

Reactions: Kuzmenkshow

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He wasn't always shit, ..5 years ago he was the best goalie on the planet..One of the reasons he came to the Canucks was to train under Ian Clark, to try and regain his form (obviously , he's still a work in progress).
Either the GM believes in Demko' or he doesn’t. Letting Marky walk would show belief. Sign a backup for under 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad