Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 5-2 (Pettersson, Miller)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Either the GM believes in Demko' or he doesn’t. Letting Marky walk would show belief. Sign a backup for under 2.
The GM does believe in Demko..he's looking great lately...Would you be happy if we had to trade the 25 year old Demko right now?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If Benning truly believed in Demko, why sign Holtby for such big money, and for two years?
Probably because he didnt want to put too much pressure on Demko, he wanted a veteran keeper..Thats what I'm guessing.

Would you be happy if we had to trade Demko right now?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Ian Clark's great, but he's not some Goalie Gandalf who can travel time and bring washed-up veteran keepers back to life.
I'm sure that Ian Clark had a fair amount input in taking a gamble on Holtby in the first place..So,.. I'm not entirely convinced that Clark would agree with you.?

Reactions: Indiana

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Probably because he didnt want to put too much pressure on Demko, he wanted a veteran keeper..Thats what I'm guessing.

Would you be happy if we had to trade Demko right now?
Why would we trade Demko now? The goalie choice was made last off season, when Benning let Marky walk.
Why did we then, after that choice was made, sign a backup for big money and term?
Again Benning’s decisions make no sense.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
I'm sure that Ian Clark had some input in taking a gamble on Holtby in the first place..So,.. I'm not entirely convinced that Clark would agree with you.?

Um, well yeah, I suppose any professional in any given field is going to tout their ability to do, like, their job at a really high level.

It's a manager's responsibility to understand the limitations and realities of those employees and their skills.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why would we trade Demko now? The goalie choice was made last off season, when Benning let Marky walk.
Why did we then, after that choice was made, sign a backup for big money and term?
You declared it was a massive mistake not to sign Marky to a long term deal with a NMC...

So if we had indeed signed Marky like you said we should, ... we would now have to trade a 25 year old Demko , or lose him for nothing in the ED...?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Um, well yeah, I suppose any professional in any given field is going to tout their ability to do, like, their job at a really high level.

It's a manager's responsibility to understand the limitations and realities of those employees and their skills.
True..its a results based business..The GM is always responsible for the bottom line..Hopefully Clark can get Holtby's game back on track.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
If Benning truly believed in Demko, why sign Holtby for such big money, and for two years?
I'm guessing here, but I think the concern was the condensed schedule due to Covid. With the very tight scheduling, they needed a "solid" goalie to share possibly half of the starts with Demko. I guess Holtby was their idea of solid.

Of course, you can't blame Holtby for our defensive blunders, but given his experience, he shouldn't be letting in softies that deflate the team. Sadly, I'm at the point where I cringe when I see that he's the starting goalie.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Your nickname for Gaudette is stupid, annoying, and sexist. It was unoriginal when the Sedins were called sisters and you continue in this vein for no reason other than looking like a neanderthal.

There are numerous legitimate reasons and ways to criticize Gaudette, and I am with you on that - he is not nhl caliber right now or maybe ever. But you sound like a out of touch old man that thinks he is clever.

Huh? Actually an honest mistake. Sexist? I don't get this. I'm old enough to remember Donald Audette which is who I keep mixing AG with. Not a nickname. Nice ageism crack BTW...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You declared it was a massive mistake not to sign Marky to a long term deal with a NMC...

So if we had indeed signed Marky like you said we should, ... we would now have to trade a 25 year old Demko , or lose him for nothing in the ED...?
Signing Marky would have meant trading Demko in the off season.
Benning made his choice, but he (again) mismanaged the assets. And then he even made matters worse by signing Holtby to a big money deal with term.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The combination of our ownership, front office, coaching staff, and the lack of fans makes this the easiest season to be apathetic for ever. Wake me up when this is over

"Wake me up when this is over" Hey, Green Day.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Huh? Actually an honest mistake. Sexist? I don't get this. I'm old enough to remember Donald Audette which is who I keep mixing AG with. Not a nickname. Nice ageism crack BTW...

If that is truly the case, I apologise.

However, this is the third time at least I've seen you do it. It's not a one off.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Signing Marky would have meant trading Demko in the off season.
Benning made his choice, but he (again) mismanaged the assets. And then he even made matters worse by signing Holtby to a big money deal with term.
Signing Holtby to a short term 2 year deal (without ED protection) to support Demko in a condensed schedule ,does not have anywhere near the ramifications of having to give up the 25 year year old.

I've asked you 3 times..Would you be happy about having to trade Demko right now and keeping Marky?..Simple question.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
bring-out-your-dead-gif.gif
I'm honestly disappointed I only had three upvotes for this. I thought it was hilarious! Plan the parade, being the Black Death scene from Monty Python?

Is the existence of black humour so low at this point? In my country, we even call it "the gallows humour". My colleague who is a Christian priest doesn't appreciate my sense of humour, at all - it seems - even though he's polite and curteous about it. Neither does this board. It seems I'm... not normal?

Oh noes! I've already upset one priest about my testament containing my carcass being blown up with absurd amounts of c4 on a mountain top. Not a normal conversation to have under a coffee break as a teacher I guess.

Last edited:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

I agree with this. The Canucks have historically chosen one goalie over the other to be their #1 goalie and in doing so have usually given the chosen goalie the easier starts and the backup the harder starts. IMHO neither goalie has been fantastic this year and any decent cheap backup would have been sufficient if we were simply looking for another Skudra or Lack or Nilsson. Why we felt the need to sign an expensive starter is beyond me, maybe he's a great mentor in the room to Demko, maybe he really is an insurance policy in case Demko gets hurt. Maybe Benning thought that Holtby could overcome the terrible coaching and defensive play of his team. Wrong.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Your nickname for Gaudette is stupid, annoying, and sexist. It was unoriginal when the Sedins were called sisters and you continue in this vein for no reason other than looking like a neanderthal.

There are numerous legitimate reasons and ways to criticize Gaudette, and I am with you on that - he is not nhl caliber right now or maybe ever. But you sound like a out of touch old man that thinks he is clever.
Donald Audette played in the National League not too long ago. This was very likely a typo. I think he was with the Sabres?
How is calling Gaudette, Audette sexist anyway?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Signing Holtby to a short term 2 year deal (without ED protection) to support Demko in a condensed schedule ,does not have anywhere near the ramifications of having to give up the 25 year year old.

I've asked you 3 times..Would you be happy about having to trade Demko right now and keeping Marky?..Simple question.
This question is a straw man and you know it. Bubble Demko’s value would’ve been capitalized in the offseason.

Is the bait here that Markstrom is on IR currently?

Why didn’t you ask 2 weeks ago?

This is getting sad dude. The congregation can’t be impressed.

Reactions: xtra

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I’m on the record as saying it’s fine to not sign Markstrom if they reallocate the dollars wisely and that it also would have been fine to re-sign markstrom and use Demko to move out bad cap.

One of those shows intent over the next four years while the other shows a short term step back. Again, either option wasn’t a bad one.

It is super funny to see a certain poster creating strawman arguments in favor of the “good job jimbo for stepping back” after six months ago nonstop defending the JT Miller trade, Toffoli trade, Myers + Ferland signings to push our window sooner.

There is no consistency in this organization’s direction. People flip flop and think they’re morally superior. Only thing that’s superior about flip flopping your logic to suit your narrative is that it’s fun for everyone else to laugh at.

Haha

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I’m on the record as saying it’s fine to not sign Markstrom if they reallocate the dollars wisely and that it also would have been fine to re-sign markstrom and use Demko to move out bad cap.

One of those shows intent over the next four years while the other shows a short term step back. Again, either option wasn’t a bad one.

It is super funny to see a certain poster creating strawman arguments in favor of the “good job jimbo for stepping back” after six months ago nonstop defending the JT Miller trade, Toffoli trade, Myers + Ferland signings to push our window sooner.

There is no consistency in this organization’s direction. People flip flop and think they’re morally superior. Only thing that’s superior about flip flopping your logic to suit your narrative is that it’s fun for everyone else to laugh at.

Haha
I’m not even sure the muppets believe anymore.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Please explain how this "nickname " is sexist. I don't follow.

Donald Audette played in the National League not too long ago. This was very likely a typo. I think he was with the Sabres?
How is calling Gaudette, Audette sexist anyway?

It seems to me to be playing off Audrey, a female name. The way it is capitalized seems very intentional.

Nevertheless, it seems I (and others) have interpreted it incorrectly. Sorry about that.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad