Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 5-2 (Pettersson, Miller)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
My stance probably will never change on Markstrom/Demko and that's that it's impossible to have a firm opinion without knowing the circumstances that onlyBenning knew. Would Markstrom take 5x5 here and were we offered a 1st round pick for Demko? In that situation, keeping Markstrom sounds good. Would Markstrom insist on 6x6 and Demko didn't have much trade value? I don't really like that.

Or could we have attached Demko to Baertschi for a 2nd round pick, moved Virtanen for a 3rd and then signed Toffoli/Markstrom over Virtanen/Holtby plus had two extra draft picks? That sounds pretty good to me too.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Canucks could've signed Dell for league minimum and then loaded the bottom 6 with those 1-year bargain contracts and got better results. I was one of the people who thought goalies are voodoo, and Holtby could bounce back, but once again Canucks gambled with name value and lost.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Canucks could've signed Dell for league minimum and then loaded the bottom 6 with those 1-year bargain contracts and got better results. I was one of the people who thought goalies are voodoo, and Holtby could bounce back, but once again Canucks gambled with name value and lost.
Professional scouting has been consistantly weak with this management crew. I'm probably being kind with that description. Only thing worse, is Jethro Bodine's expert opinion on NHL head coaches.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Professional scouting has been consistantly weak with this management crew. I'm probably being kind with that description. Only thing worse, is Jethro Bodine's expert opinion on NHL head coaches.

I think coaching has more to do with FA in all honesty. He hasn't wanted to pay a coach since Torts it's no coincidence both coaches were first-timers on extremely cheap salaries.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Um, well yeah, I suppose any professional in any given field is going to tout their ability to do, like, their job at a really high level.

It's a manager's responsibility to understand the limitations and realities of those employees and their skills.

It's also a manager's responsibility to take recommendations and evaluate how they fit under a salary cap.

If Ian Clark says he thinks he can fix Sergei Bobrovsky, that doesn't mean you trade for the worst contract in the NHL.

If Ian Clark says he thinks he can work well with Holtby and you can sign Holtby to a 1 year/$1.5 million deal ... great, you make that move.

If it takes $9 million to sign a broken goalie, you walk the f*** away.

You could literally fill the bottom-6 with Motte-Graovac-Bailey types and a couple bargain signings and we'd have a far better bottom-6 than what the $20 million in actual bottom-6 provides.

And yeah, signing a Dell type should have been the 100% obvious move.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
why doesn't the media ask travis green tough questions after the game... are they scared that they might hurt his feelings...? like cmon. last night people should have asked why did u start holtby after demmer got u a shutout..

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If we could fire JB I think a competent GM could quickly turn this around in 3 years. Lots of big contracts coming off the books.

resign QH / EP
Edler , beagle , ferlund, surtter, baertchi, Luongo , eriksson, all off the books.

PodZ will help, we get a top 5 pick this year that should play in 2023.

with a little competency we can be good for 2023-2024 season.
Just sucks we have to weather 100 more games of this.

Reactions: I am toxic

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
why doesn't the media ask travis green tough questions after the game... are they scared that they might hurt his feelings...? like cmon. last night people should have asked why did u start holtby after demmer got u a shutout..

The level of questions Green gets asked here is absolutely shocking.

Like, the hardest questions he gets are along the lines of someone apologetically asking 'Didn't seem like you guys had a great start tonight and that set you back, your thoughts?' It's f***ing pathetic.

From last nights game alone, a competent media would have asked :

1) In what's basically a must-win game, why the hell are you starting your struggling backup goalie when your #1 stood on his head the previous night?

2) Why is Brandon Sutter getting the same ES TOI in a game you're chasing as Elias Pettersson?

3) Olli Juolevi was playing reasonably well before he was scratched. Why are we dressing old depth defenders like Benn and Hamonic in the 2nd game of a back-to-back to watch them look like they're skating in molasses and get wrecked instead of putting in younger legs to keep guys fresh?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

Like, the hardest questions he gets are along the lines of someone apologetically asking 'Didn't seem like you guys had a great start tonight and that set you back, your thoughts?' It's f***ing pathetic.

1) In what's basically a must-win game, why the hell are you starting your struggling backup goalie when your #1 stood on his head the previous night?

2) Why is Brandon Sutter getting the same ES TOI in a game you're chasing as Elias Pettersson?

3) Olli Juolevi was playing reasonably well before he was scratched. Why are we dressing old depth defenders like Benn and Hamonic in the 2nd game of a back-to-back to watch them look like they're skating in molasses and get wrecked instead of putting in younger legs to keep guys fresh?

our media sucks... too afriad to ask the tough questions.

Reactions: Luckylarry

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Donald Audette played in the National League not too long ago. This was very likely a typo. I think he was with the Sabres?
How is calling Gaudette, Audette sexist anyway?

Gotta admit, I'm probably old like @Zippgunn , I did not know calling someone Audette was sexist.

I actually had forgotten about Donald Audette, I just thought it was zippy's autocorrect. I am so tired of autocorrect's shirt.

Reactions: jd22 and Luckylarry

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

One of the purposes of media should be to keep GMs, politicians, businesses etc. accountable. This just doesn't happen anymore, which causes shilling for the team, party, company etc just to continue to get a press pass. The state of sports media in Vancouver is almost as bad as news in the States at this. Just no accountability anywhere.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Totally agree, but wonder if the Canucks are controlling through these zoom pressers who gets to ask? Reporter might know if they ask a good question, like you suggest, they will not get called on again?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Did they say 'we are a playoff team', or they expected to make the playoffs?...There is a difference.

The team is not rebuilding..A rebuild involves 'core players'..The core players are here, the work needs to be done with the supporting cast.
What’s the difference between the two?

we have 4 core players (5 if demko is more than a 1b) on the team which is clearly not enough to be considered a core.

boeser
Hughes
Petersson
Horvat (free agent in 2 years after this)
Demko if he becomes more than a 1 b goalie

Reactions: I am toxic

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
One of the purposes of media should be to keep GMs, politicians, businesses accountable. This just doesn't happen anymore, which causes shilling for the team, party, company etc just to be continue to get a press pass. The state of sports media in Vancouver is almost as bad as news in the States at this. Just no accountability anywhere.
THE accountability will come when fans no longer fill the rink. Maybe the huge drop in the team’s value (300 mil since Benning?) is accountability too?

Reactions: vanuck

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
13 times. We are 0-13 when giving up first goal. Have literally never came back after being scored on first.

now that’s a resilient bunch.

Bruins from 2011 to 2019 were a team that seemed to always fight their way back. Famously against the Leafs in the playoffs, but it was like a culture for them for an entire decade. I hate that the team I despise the most has a quality that I cherish most.

And my own team during much of that decade has the mental fortitude of

giphy.gif

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
He wasn't always shit, ..5 years ago he was the best goalie on the planet..One of the reasons he came to the Canucks was to train under Ian Clark, to try and regain his form (obviously , he's still a work in progress).

A short term (2 year) gamble.

Five years ago the Canucks were a bottom-5 team in the league - so obviously a lot can change in five years.

Edit: Also, what happened to the idea that Markstrom couldn't be considered an asset when Benning inherited him, because he was too far removed from being considered a top goaltending prospect?

Reactions: geebaan

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Probably because he didnt want to put too much pressure on Demko, he wanted a veteran keeper..Thats what I'm guessing.

Would you be happy if we had to trade Demko right now?
Right now ....with this GM no f***ing way. But he shouldn’t be on the untouchable list.

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

we have 4 core players (5 if demko is more than a 1b) on the team which is clearly not enough to be considered a core.

boeser
Hughes
Petersson
There is a difference between implying you are something, and you expect to be something....The players you listed will be our core players moving forward.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Five years ago the Canucks were a bottom-5 team in the league - so obviously a lot can change in five years.

Edit: Also, what happened to the idea that Markstrom couldn't be considered an asset when Benning inherited him, because he was too far removed from being considered a top goaltending prospect?
5 years after being drafted, Demko is being groomed (and performing up to the standards) in being a #1 goalie for the Canucks
5 years after being drafted, I don't think that Markstrom could have been in a lower place in his career.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

boeser
Hughes
Petersson
Miller and Schmidt are, without a doubt, part of the core. Both are first line/first-pairing guys who are capable of elite play. With the way things are trending, the Canucks will likely pluck a core-quality player out of the draft, as well. POM is right about the core; the problem is everywhere else. I don't think there's a team in the league with such a divide between their top-end talent and the garbage they use to support that core, outside of Edmonton (who have McDraisaitl).

I've seen many hyperbolic claims on here and on Twitter that the Canucks should rebuild and will be competitive in 6-8 years. That's absurd. This team can be turned around very quickly, under the eye of a shrewd GM. This isn't like 2014, where there was largely crap in the cupboards and the "core" was on the wrong side of 30.

Fire Benning/Green and bring an ace management/coaching team and I think people will be surprised how quickly things turn around.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad