Line Combos: Jets d-corp discussion

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
But "Player X will be here for a very long time/retire a [insert team name here]" for a professional athlete = "We've pencilled X into the lineup for tonight's game, or least until he's traded."

Buff isn't easy to move. Not sure who'd take him on at his contract and age, doubt even the LV Islands of Misfit Toys have the room or inclination. Maybe Tyler signs on for a hefty discount

If Myer's resigns when his contract is up, I would bet it would be in the same range as he's making now -"no hefty discount" If Buff is worth $ 7.7 -- Tyler is worth $ 5.5m all day long. He's our leading D- scorer.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Myers makes a lot of "great plays" in the defensive zone with his long reach, I've seen him steal the puck off offensive players in our defensive zone. He also is one of the Jet's smoothest skaters, and can lead a rush from his own end--"just like Buff"
I have not checked lately, but a poster on here a couple of days ago said Myers leads the defenseman in plus/minus ( + -) stats. Does that not say something ???
Add to the fact he's a tremendous quarterback on the power play, and his shot hits the net about 90 % of the time. ( unlike Troubas) His shot is very accurate and he also sets up a lot of players from the point. He should "always" play the power play.
Every defenseman makes the odd mistake in the defensive zone -- including Myers, but he now has 23 points in 45 games, and is our highest scoring defenseman. Without Myers, we would have "for sure" lost a couple more games, without his scoring.
Even if a D-man makes the odd mistake in the D zone, Myers more than makes up for it, with his tremendous offensive talent. You have to be blind not to see that !!! Myers is one of the big reasons the Jet's are winning, and in first place. We "need" him, and his good team attitude !!!
Myer's is on pace for 50 points this year !!!

Myers can lead the rush, but he's often trailing behind his teammates with the puck, where an outlet would be superior. His zone exits lead to less offensive opportunities than they should due to his decision making. It's the difference between a breakout that looks good and gets the team temporarily out of trouble versus a breakout that effectively transitions offense.

+/- says one thing and one thing only to me, what his +/- is:
Behind the Numbers: Why Plus/Minus is the worst statistic in hockey and should be abolished
It's a stat that you could just ignore, and be better for it. It doesn't even show outscoring well, let alone sustainable outscoring.

Myers is on pace for *42* points, but I'd take the under on him reaching that point total than the over.
1) It's the second highest point pace of his career, with the only one higher being his rookie season 10 years ago.
2) He's on pace for 82 games, another thing he hasn't done for 10 years.
3) Myers has 3 goals on PP to Byfuglien's 1 and Trouba's 0, despite all 3 between 1 and 2 expected goals given their unblocked PP shot production and quality.

There's a few other factors, once you look at the underlying statistics, but the truth is that Myers' point total for this season is trending at 42, but I would be more surprised if he's above that than I would be if he's below that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Jets have 4 dmen on pace for over 30 points and another who looks like he will finish just short of 20. That is pretty solid offense from the back end considering 3 of the 5 get very limited pp time.

This back end scoring we're getting is why we're so hard to beat. If we have 4 defenseman at around 30 points this year --that's 120 points. Along with the snipers we have an offense, it's a very deadly combination-- not to mention .923 goaltending.

We are really all around, a "very well balanced, and solid team."

If our forwards are having a bad game, we can always count on scoring from our back end guys -- "let's keep it that way" This is a luxury many reams don't have.

It seems over the last 5 games or so, we're always scoring 4 plus goals !!! this is good !!!

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Myers Id like to keep

Can pincj in top.pairing if needed

Can slide to bottom pairing middle pairing
Pk
Pp

Yep
JETS will try to sign him.
He'll probably takr a discount aswell
Jets going to be contender for awhile.

Reactions: GNP

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
yesterday in the pre game presser Maurice said myers was going to be a jet for a very long time. my guess its trouba or buff that gets moved in the summer. for sure 1 of the 3 have to get moved in the offseason. don't think myers is going anywhere.

I agree with this 100%. If Myers recovered well from his injury (and he has), he would not be the one who is moved. Either Trouba (if we can’t sign him long-term) or Buff (if we resign Trouba) would likely get moved this offseason.

In the end, I have a feeling that Buff gets moved. He’s too expensive to keep and for purposes of what we’re doing as a team, we do not need his dynasism (which is too erratic for us).

He absolutely should have value to other teams. A RHD with offensive flair, big body, PP QB who can play a lot of minutes...plenty of teams would like that. The Jets are just fortunate to have a better mixture of other players to eat up the available time.

Interesting comments from Maurice about Myers staying with the Jets for a lng time. Myers IS one of our leaders. I think they chatted with him about being captain a couple of years ago. He’s a keeper, boys and girls.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wouldn't read too much into Maurice's comments. At the end of the day it's not his call. Its Chevy who makes that call.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I doubt Myers was ever considered or ever will be a candidate for team Captain.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Source for this? Was this in an article somewhere?

I remember it being video interviews with some of the players like Schiefele, Wheeler and Meyers and they were all saying what an honor it would be to be considered as a captain.

I’ll see if I can dig that up.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I recall something, be it a video or I think article where it mentioned Myers as a Captain candidate. I forget now what exactly it was from.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Did some digging, it was just a fluff/speculative piece by fox sports. I mean, the article listed Laine ... :laugh:

According to inside the organization sources, I have been told that the Jets will be naming their captain at a press conference tomorrow. Obvious names that come up are Mark Scheifele, Blake Wheeler, Dustin Byfuglien, and Brian Little. Some underdogs such as Patrik Laine, and Tyler Myers could possibly be in the running too.
Stay tuned…

Winnipeg Jets Naming Captain Tomorrow

It was discussed here,

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...nounced-captain.2077131/page-8#post-121733901

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad