Line Combos: Jets d-corp discussion

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Moved a couple of posts from the Laine thread here, as we were getting off-topic for that thread.

Use this thread to discuss the Jets d-corp, deployment, etc.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

I can't dispute anything you say IPP -- you make good sense, and I hope that Laine will really be a big star for the Jets. It's so hard to say with these young guys, but Laine is putting up the numbers--and your only as good as your record --or "stats".
Nice to have friendlier commenting with you nowadays. And we can even agree on some things very clearly. I mean, I’m also a big fan of Myers like you. And for such a huge guy he has really magnificent skating. In general I agree with you that his skating looks pretty smooth. But occasionally, due to his huge frame, I have noticed that some of his turns can be also a bit rough. But the skating technique and even his acceleration are pretty darn great for such a towering skater.

Myers is just criminally underrated for some reasons. But to me he is in fact the best defenceman for the Jets, and the biggest reason with Hellebuyck for why the Jets have improved so much from last year. I do like also Morrissey and Kulikov, but I honestly don’t like Buff, Enström and Trouba too much. Well Trouba can be even quite good, but he seems to me in general like a pretty low hockey IQ defenceman with strange brainfarts especially offensively and also with stupid penalties. Enström is over the hill, and Buff is unfortunately Buff - way too many mistakes, risks and penalties. Thank God we have had a healthy Myers this season. He is just rock solid at both ends of the ice.

I btw love your idea of watching a Jets game with you and the Dashing Dane. You seem both like good guys. But just as a precaution, it’s probably good that you sit between the Dane and me, as you suggested. :):thumbu:

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Nice to have friendlier commenting with you nowadays. And we can even agree on some things very clearly. I mean, I’m also a big fan of Myers like you. And for such a huge guy he has really magnificent skating. In general I agree with you that his skating looks pretty smooth. But occasionally, due to his huge frame, I have noticed that some of his turns can be also a bit rough. But the skating technique and even his acceleration are pretty darn great for such a towering skater.

Myers is just criminally underrated for some reasons. But to me he is in fact the best defenceman for the Jets, and the biggest reason with Hellebuyck for why the Jets have improved so much from last year. I do like also Morrissey and Kulikov, but I honestly don’t like Buff, Enström and Trouba too much. Well Trouba can be even quite good, but he seems to me in general like a pretty low hockey IQ defenceman with strange brainfarts especially offensively and also with stupid penalties. Enström is over the hill, and Buff is unfortunately Buff - way too many mistakes, risks and penalties. Thank God we have had a healthy Myers this season. He is just rock solid at both ends of the ice.

I btw love your idea of watching a Jets game with you and the Dashing Dane. You seem both like good guys. But just as a precaution, it’s probably good that you sit between the Dane and me, as you suggested. :):thumbu:

Hey my Finnish friend--you sure have a good hockey analytical mind--I think you have a good eye for talent, and you'd be a great talent scout for the NHL

We think "exactly alike" on many of these players. Just like you, I think Meyers is the Jet's best defenseman, and I love him playing the point on the "power play." He's smart, and makes good quick, and very smart decisions. I always defend Myers on here against guys that try to put him down, and lately there hasn't been that much. How can you not like a guy that's that big, can skate very well, and sets up plays. The guy is simply great. He is the Jet's best D-man, and leading scorer for defenceman.

I think Morrissey is their second best defenseman, and probably Trouba is the 3rd best, providing he doesn't have any brain farts, as you would say. His game is getting better each time out this year, and starting to look like he did last year. His shot is not bad, but his slap shot misses the net, at leat 40-50% of the time. Personally I would not play him on the power play. Trouba needs to improve his shot accuracy.

I should also add, this Morrissey is getting better each year, and looks very solid. I also like his shot, and very little mistake brand of hockey. He will maybe be our best defenseman in the future. He's very solid for such a young guy. I like him a lot.

Just like you, I also like Kulikov, and think he's underrated, and has a very accurate shot, and is a good defender in the defensive zone. He also doesn't take a lot of stupid penalties --like Buff, Trouba, and Enstrom. Kulikov does not panic, and is excellent in our defensive zone.

On Buff -- he could be great, but I guess he's not that "bright" as he keeps taking really dumb penalties. If he wouldn't do that --he skates well, has a good shot, has great physical presence etc -- he could be great. He just "doesn't think." It's to bad with Buff, because if he would play within the system, he'd be a great defenseman. I'm thinking if Trouba resigns, the Jet's will trade Buff for a good center ice man.

Enstrom- he's just about finished -out half the time because he can't take the hits etc, as he's getting older. He's a good skater but on the small side for a D-man. I think if he'll sign at $ 1.5 to 2 mil, maybe he has 1-2 years left. I also think Chiarot is just about as good as Enstrom. Lot's of fans don't like Chiarot either-- but really he's not that bad. Not fancy or anything, but a solid stay at home defenseman.

And yes--as you say IPP- it would be great fun to watch a game with you and the Dashing Dane as you both sound like great guys, and big hockey fans.:thumbu::)

It's always a pleasure talking hockey with you -take care :)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Moved a couple of posts from the Laine thread here, as we were getting off-topic for that thread.

Use this thread to discuss the Jets d-corp, deployment, etc.

Ha I remember trying to start a general D thread the first week of the season...but got shut down........

I was just ahead of my time ;)

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
@Aavco Cup - megathreads in general suck (IMO - they get rambly and difficult to follow), but what are you going to do when people run through the whole d-corp and their deployment in the Laine thread. ;)

It's an interesting topic that's pretty relevant at this time of the year, given injuries, Buff's play, etc. Deserves its own topic. :nod:

Reactions: Hunter368

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@Aavco Cup - megathreads in general suck (IMO - they get rambly and difficult to follow), but what are you going to do when people run through the whole d-corp and their deployment in the Laine thread. ;)

It's an interesting topic that's pretty relevant at this time of the year, given injuries, Buff's play, etc. Deserves its own topic. :nod:

I had no problem at the time...just made me :)

The forum has certainly evolved over the last couple years

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
To offer something to begin the discussion with, here's a complete list of the defensemen that are currently a part of the Jets' organization.

NHL

Byfuglien, Dustin: 32y - $7.6 - UFA 2021
Enstrom, Tobias: 33y - $5.75 - UFA 2018
Myers, Tyler: 27y - $5.5 - UFA 2019
Kulikov, Dimitry: 27y - $4.33 - UFA 2020
Trouba, Jacob: 23y - $2.812 - RFA 2018
Chiarot, Ben: 26y - $1.4 - UFA 2019
Morrissey, Josh: 22y - $0.863 - RFA 2018

AHL

Poolman, Tucker: 24y - 0.925 - RFA 2018
Niku, Sami: 21y - 0.775 - RFA 2020
Nogier, Nelson: 21y - 0.713 - RFA 2019
Kostalek, Jan: 22y - 0.693 - RFA 2018
Schilling, Cameron: 29y - 0.65 - UFA 2018
Melchiori, Julian: 26y - 0.625 - RFA 2018

CHL

Stanley, Logan: 19y - 0.894 - RFA 2020*
Green, Luke: 19y - 0.741 - RFA 2020*

* ELC slide risk

ALL UNSIGNED

Cederholm, Jacob: 19y - Jun 2020
Evingson, Croix: 20y - Jun 2021
Gawanke, Leon: 18y - Aug 2019
Glover, Jack: 21y - Aug 2018
Kovacevic, Johnny: 20y - Aug 2020
Samberg, Dylan: 18y - Aug 2021

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
I have no issues with Jets D deployment and pairings. They all make mistakes at times, and after a shaky start they have constantly improved moving the puck out of our own end. They play a pretty safe outlet system behind our own net, alot safer than a few years ago where the outlet was too often our own slot.

Chairot/Poolman is a toss up at LD. But with our record it's nothing to quibble over.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Would anyone else like to see Kulikov away from Myers?

When I was initially feeling a little bit of sticker shock on Kulikov, I wanted him paired with the big guy to pump his value and dump him for a better option.

These days, I have little issue with Kulikov's salary (as a July 1st surcharge aside) but I am excited to see what he can do without having to spend so much time in his own side.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
A quick question: how do you think Myers would perform with the same match-ups as Morrissey and Trouba?

I think most of us know how that would go. There’s a reason he struggled mightily in the defensive zone when both Buff and Toby were out.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think most of us know how that would go. There’s a reason he struggled mightily in the defensive zone when both Buff and Toby were out.

I will say: even though I think he wouldn't fare well with their match-ups, I still like him as a #3-#6 defenseman. The fact that he and Kuli are on the 3rd pair is great for the Jets, and allows them to outplay their match-ups.

I like him. Just not as a 1st pairing dman.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I will say: even though I think he wouldn't fare well with their match-ups, I still like him as a #3-#6 defenseman. The fact that he and Kuli are on the 3rd pair is great for the Jets, and allows them to outplay their match-ups.

I like him. Just not as a 1st pairing dman.

1000000% agree Gin.

boanst

May 25, 2013
Myers carries the puck really well but he is not very good at moving it. One of the poorer passers on the team.

In the ozone, he appears to to really good at seeing when the proper goalie screening happens and shooting at the right time, with purpose. Without looking at stats, Id say he gets more of his shots on net than Trouba or Buff. Again, moving the puck isnt his strong suit.

In the d-zone Myers is much better in motion than when stationairy or in one place. He really uses that long stick well when his feet are moving, but in front of the net he can look lost.

Myers is suitable as a 4-6 D. His game has holes but his strengths are pretty darn good.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg

Hey my Finnish friend--you sure have a good hockey analytical mind--I think you have a good eye for talent, and you'd be a great talent scout for the NHL

We think "exactly alike" on many of these players. Just like you, I think Meyers is the Jet's best defenseman, and I love him playing the point on the "power play." He's smart, and makes good quick, and very smart decisions. I always defend Myers on here against guys that try to put him down, and lately there hasn't been that much. How can you not like a guy that's that big, can skate very well, and sets up plays. The guy is simply great. He is the Jet's best D-man, and leading scorer for defenceman.

I think Morrissey is their second best defenseman, and probably Trouba is the 3rd best, providing he doesn't have any brain farts, as you would say. His game is getting better each time out this year, and starting to look like he did last year. His shot is not bad, but his slap shot misses the net, at leat 40-50% of the time. Personally I would not play him on the power play. Trouba needs to improve his shot accuracy.

I should also add, this Morrissey is getting better each year, and looks very solid. I also like his shot, and very little mistake brand of hockey. He will maybe be our best defenseman in the future. He's very solid for such a young guy. I like him a lot.

Just like you, I also like Kulikov, and think he's underrated, and has a very accurate shot, and is a good defender in the defensive zone. He also doesn't take a lot of stupid penalties --like Buff, Trouba, and Enstrom. Kulikov does not panic, and is excellent in our defensive zone.

On Buff -- he could be great, but I guess he's not that "bright" as he keeps taking really dumb penalties. If he wouldn't do that --he skates well, has a good shot, has great physical presence etc -- he could be great. He just "doesn't think." It's to bad with Buff, because if he would play within the system, he'd be a great defenseman. I'm thinking if Trouba resigns, the Jet's will trade Buff for a good center ice man.

Enstrom- he's just about finished -out half the time because he can't take the hits etc, as he's getting older. He's a good skater but on the small side for a D-man. I think if he'll sign at $ 1.5 to 2 mil, maybe he has 1-2 years left. I also think Chiarot is just about as good as Enstrom. Lot's of fans don't like Chiarot either-- but really he's not that bad. Not fancy or anything, but a solid stay at home defenseman.

And yes--as you say IPP- it would be great fun to watch a game with you and the Dashing Dane as you both sound like great guys, and big hockey fans.:thumbu::)

It's always a pleasure talking hockey with you -take care :)

I'm not Finnish but I agree whole heartedly with all points of this post. Not sure how these posters can put down our best offensive D like they do. He is very respectable on D as well. Chariot is a very serviceable as a 6/7/8 D as well.

Most effective to worst (IMO) at the moment : Myers, Morrissey, Trouba, Kulikov, Buff, Chiarot, Poolman, Enstrom.

Future (IMO) : Morrissey, Myers, Trouba, Niku, Poolman, Kulikov, Chiarot,Buff (should do all we can to trade asap)

Reactions: GNP

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Byfuglien makes more apparent random errors but it’s Myers that tends to make the small consistent errors.

The biggest issue I Myers with the puck in the defensive zone. He’s very pretty in the way he skates it out, but it’s too often in traffic and he could improve in his ability to choose when possession should optimally switch from strong to weak side. He’s more style than substance. His outlets aren’t the best on the team either.

Myers is interesting how severely strong offensively he is on 5v5 yet I do not like him on the PP, relative to some other options.

Ultimately a flawed but useful player.

You look at BUF having Risto playing 27 mins but PoMo having Buff leading Jets with 21 mins... that’s what Myers does. Helps even the TOI distribution.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Similar to why he struggled in Buffalo. I like him just fine where he is.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Byfuglien makes more apparent random errors but it’s Myers that tends to make the small consistent errors.

The biggest issue I Myers with the puck in the defensive zone. He’s very pretty in the way he skates it out, but it’s too often in traffic and he could improve in his ability to choose when possession should optimally switch from strong to weak side. He’s more style than substance. His outlets aren’t the best on the team either.

Myers is interesting how severely strong offensively he is on 5v5 yet I do not like him on the PP, relative to some other options.

Ultimately a flawed but useful player.

You look at BUF having Risto playing 27 mins but PoMo having Buff leading Jets with 21 mins... that’s what Myers does. Helps even the TOI distribution.

Myers makes a lot of "great plays" in the defensive zone with his long reach, I've seen him steal the puck off offensive players in our defensive zone. He also is one of the Jet's smoothest skaters, and can lead a rush from his own end--"just like Buff"

I have not checked lately, but a poster on here a couple of days ago said Myers leads the defenseman in plus/minus ( + -) stats. Does that not say something ???

Add to the fact he's a tremendous quarterback on the power play, and his shot hits the net about 90 % of the time. ( unlike Troubas) His shot is very accurate and he also sets up a lot of players from the point. He should "always" play the power play.

Every defenseman makes the odd mistake in the defensive zone -- including Myers, but he now has 23 points in 45 games, and is our highest scoring defenseman. Without Myers, we would have "for sure" lost a couple more games, without his scoring.

Even if a D-man makes the odd mistake in the D zone, Myers more than makes up for it, with his tremendous offensive talent. You have to be blind not to see that !!! Myers is one of the big reasons the Jet's are winning, and in first place. We "need" him, and his good team attitude !!!

Myer's is on pace for 50 points this year !!!

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If Chevy can sign Trouba I am literally drooling at the trade value Myers is building up this season. He would fetch a king's ransom at the draft if he keeps this up.

I don't understand ?? - why would you want to trade Myers ??- he's great, and we need his scoring. Don't you think we'd be better off trading Buff who takes all kinds of stupid penalties. I'd like to hear your reasoning Jets Fan ???

Reactions: Jet

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

I don't understand ?? - why would you want to trade Myers ??- he's great, and we need his scoring. Don't you think we'd be better off trading Buff who takes all kinds of stupid penalties. I'd like to hear your reasoning Jets Fan ???
It is about who you can trade and who you can not. Buff has a NMC and is reportedly very happy here. Can't exactly assume he is going to be traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->