Line Combos: Jets d-corp discussion

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
It is about who you can trade and who you can not. Buff has a NMC and is reportedly very happy here. Can't exactly assume he is going to be traded.

I believe at the end of the season his contract turns into a modified NMC 16 team.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think we are really going to need Buff in the playoffs , we will need the physical good Buff, but we will need Buff . Plus just think how much the refs don't call come playoffs , some of our smaller guys might get pushed around .

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Trading Myers in favor of Buff would be a big mistake. Buff had a good half of the year playing a very safe game, but any time his game gets more 'dynamic' the big gaffes that result in grade a chances for the other team increase.

Add to that the fact that I think his game only goes downhill from here and the whole sulking episode, I think the better trade chip at this point is Buff.

Myers does tend to make mistakes, but I feel they are done out of lack of confidence, and not arrogance. I see Myers limiting those mistakes more and more as he matures.

Overall for this year, I like our D corps. Helle is getting very deserved praise, but the D (and the forwards) can take some of the credit for his game as well.

PS I still say no way Trouba signs here. But, I've been wrong before (once or twice :P)

Reactions: CaptainChef

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jets have 4 dmen on pace for over 30 points and another who looks like he will finish just short of 20. That is pretty solid offense from the back end considering 3 of the 5 get very limited pp time.

Reactions: GNP

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It is about who you can trade and who you can not. Buff has a NMC and is reportedly very happy here. Can't exactly assume he is going to be traded.
It strikes me that Buff will not be happy with the reduced role we are already seeing for him and one that will surely continue to trend downward.

I think we've kinda 'grown out' of needing a Byfuglien type player. One of his greatest attributes is his dynamic offensive ability - I think he could really help a team that struggles to score goals.

I'd bet if Buff sees the writing on the wall he'd be more than open to move to a team where he can have an increased role again. I still want to see what he does for us in the playoffs.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
yesterday in the pre game presser Maurice said myers was going to be a jet for a very long time. my guess its trouba or buff that gets moved in the summer. for sure 1 of the 3 have to get moved in the offseason. don't think myers is going anywhere.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
yesterday in the pre game presser Maurice said myers was going to be a jet for a very long time. my guess its trouba or buff that gets moved in the summer. for sure 1 of the 3 have to get moved in the offseason. don't think myers is going anywhere.

If we only did get that early mid season Buff, he would be worth every penny and maybe more he is getting.

I'm having some troubles with Trouba. Last season he was my favourite d-man with rookie Morrissey, though that love was shared by Buff when he had his great moments. But I have some doubts about his loyality, and I have found him hard to exacty love this season.

To summarize, I would not trade Myers (or anyone), but if forced to, I think Trouba should go if he lacks the motivation.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It strikes me that Buff will not be happy with the reduced role we are already seeing for him and one that will surely continue to trend downward.

I think we've kinda 'grown out' of needing a Byfuglien type player. One of his greatest attributes is his dynamic offensive ability - I think he could really help a team that struggles to score goals.

I'd bet if Buff sees the writing on the wall he'd be more than open to move to a team where he can have an increased role again. I still want to see what he does for us in the playoffs.
That reduced role has him playing over a minute more than any other Jets' defenseman, let alone the right-handed ones. Moreover, since Buff missed games in which Trouba and Myers played, the latter two's numbers are inflated, for they took on some of Buff's minutes during the injury. If you are referring to the four-minute drop from last year, feel free to look at Trouba's minutes and notice the trend. As for this team not needing Buff, that is a ridiculous statement. We struggled an awful lot without Buff just last month.

Two of the three RHDs can be kept long term. What dictates which two stay largely depends on how willing Trouba is to stay here and how unwilling Buff is to leave Winnipeg.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Of the three expiring contracts, like to see Morrissey lock to long term deal
Like Trouba to stay as well but feeling
Trouba’s agent will be difficult to negotiate with
Enstrom no longer top paired LD but still valuable if not injured. I am hoping he will take a home town discount and paid as 3rd pair D behind Kulikov and Morrissey. My feeling is he will get more as UFA else where. Chiarot isn’t that bad as 3rd LD and Poolman can also play that side too.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Agree with both posts. We have outgrown our need for an offensive Buff, although if he wants to play defensively responsibly like he did earlier in the year, he is still a valuable piece. I'd prefer to trade him however, and see a long list of teams that would gladly take him off our hands for some good defensive prospects. Myers is also good, but I don't know if he gets resigned simply because he's I sick bay too much. So whatever you do Chevy, get that Trouba guy signed to a 5-6 year contract.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Wow, didn't see that presser - interesting comment from Mo.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

After this year, Buff's NMC becomes a "modified one" whereby he can be traded to anyone of 10 teams he has submitted his list of --after this season. So he can be traded after this season.

I'm ok with keeping Buff, if he'll play with some control and discipline. I just think it would be a mistake to trade Myers.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Probably it will be Trouba or Myers --I guess it depends on what happens with Trouba's contract, and if he wants to stay here or not ???

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I doubt we subtract any assets from our D core between now and the end of the playoffs. If we have any serious injuries between now and the trade deadline we might actually add. We will need all hands on deck for a playoff run (cross the fingers)

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Nice to se I'm not the only that noticed the significance of the implied language used in that interview.

Have to agree it appears Myers will be a long term Jet!

Reactions: Jet and GNP

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I would think Chevy will wait to see what Trouba and his agent Overpay want before he traded Myers or Buff .

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You'd expect a scripted answer like you state were he asked that as a direct question.

He wasn't. He came right out & said it unsolicited.
Ya i see what you are saying . Although maybe he said that to try and throw shade on the fact they ARE trying to trade him .... see i got you thinnen didn't i ? :laugh:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

But "Player X will be here for a very long time/retire a [insert team name here]" for a professional athlete = "We've pencilled X into the lineup for tonight's game, or least until he's traded."

Buff isn't easy to move. Not sure who'd take him on at his contract and age, doubt even the LV Islands of Misfit Toys have the room or inclination. Maybe Tyler signs on for a hefty discount?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad