Post-Game Talk: Jets beat Habs in OT 5-4

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yes I thought Poolman showed some progress tonight. I was starting to worry that he might be a little too stiff.
Perrault and other vets need to quit with the stupid penalties. That could kill us in the playoff.

Don’t worry the rule book gets tossed in the playoffs, it’s the NHL remember!

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

I totally agree with St.B here --and the Jet's have got to be more disciplined with the dumb penalties. You'd think the veterans like Buff and Perrault would know better.

If the Jet's lose control, and can't control their penalties --it will likely cost them a playoff series against a good team. Some teams have devastating power plays.

At times this year, the Jet's were good on controlling the penalties, but lately I've noticed -- they've been taking way to many. I hope Maurice will "police" this problem, as I'd sure hate the Jet's to lose a playoff series to a lack of discipline.
Dumb penalties???
They are only dumb penalties if the refs calls them. Seriously I am tried of hearing "the Jets taking dumb penalties". How many times have you seen the opposing players do the exact same thing or worst infaction and no calls ... are they called "smart players"?
Buffalo scored 5 PP on Nashville the other day on 9 penalties ... the Preds also had 5 penalties right away in the first 30 mins against Tampa but when the play the Jets they are angels ... right?
There's a reason why Wheeler said we only get one PP a game the other day.
Good teams can beat teams but not the refs & teams.
Great teams can beat both the refs and the team they are playing.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Just came back from an amazing Game 7 here in Victoria..

Does Niku have any similarities to Erik Karlsson aside from the hair, because that, as the kids would say...was a sick flow..

In all seriousness how did he look..

Loved Maurice's interview...well...we have a pretty good team here.

50 wins....mother $(%*

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Dumb penalties???
They are only dumb penalties if the refs calls them. Seriously I am tried of hearing "the Jets taking dumb penalties". How many times have you seen the opposing players do the exact same thing or worst infaction and no calls ... are they called "smart players"?
Buffalo scored 5 PP on Nashville the other day on 9 penalties ... the Preds also had 5 penalties right away in the first 30 mins against Tampa but when the play the Jets they are angels ... right?

We have taken a few dumb penalties in the last 5 games. Too many men twice and a stupid coaches challenge to put us down 5 on 3. Also two delay of game penalties shooting the puck over the glass.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
We have taken a few dumb penalties in the last 5 games. Too many men twice and a stupid coaches challenge to put us down 5 on 3. Also two delay of game penalties shooting the puck over the glass.
Yes those are dumb penalties but the last one shooting the puck over the glass in Ottawa ... did it not go off a Senators stick. Also remember the delayed penalty on the Jets where a Leaf player was already in the offense zone and the goalie never even got to his own blue line. It was so bad that the refs blew the play dead ... why was it not a penalty?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yes those are dumb penalties but the last one shooting the puck over the glass in Ottawa ... did it not go off a Senators stick. Also remember the delayed penalty on the Jets where a Leaf player was already in the offense zone and the goalie never even got to his own blue line. It was so bad that the refs blew the play dead ... why was it not a penalty?

Tha "illegal substation" of a goalie has a separate rule and it states the play is blown dead with no penalty. It was the correct call.

In no way should this be taken to mean I am happy with the quality of the reffing

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Dumb penalties???

We certainly don't agree on the subject of penalties Raider. In my opinion it's a "losers game" when you start thinking the Refs are discriminating against your team. It's easy to lose--and say it was all the Ref's fault. Good excuse you know.

I don't see hockey life the way that you do-- it all balances out. If one were to believe what you say -then what your saying is there is a massive conspiracy amongst the Refs or NHL to purposely call penalties against "select teams."

That is totally ridiculous really-- and I'd say the Jet's have a pretty good record, with all the "false penalties" that you claim they are taking. They are getting penalties, because they deserved them.

Some games they have "very few" penalties-- and that's because they are playing with a little bit of discipline. If the coach was to complain the way you do-- it would tell the players --we only lost because of bad officiating --and that's "the wrong message."

Bottom line- the ref's have a job to do --it's just that your over scrutinizing penalties called against our team. I admire your patriotism toward being a die hard Jet's fan-- but you need to be more "objective"--and not "subjective"--as you are right now.

Note - to illustrate my point--look at what Aavco said ( above) just as an example. The Jet's challenged a Ref's call on an offside and lost, as well as to many men on the ice, and firing the puck over the glass--those are rules that if broken--the Refs will call-- "that is their job."

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Mason played well enough that he can play 1/4 in playoffs.
Out of everyone after Helly I have the most confidence in mason as the backup, but it is not a good sign for us if he is playing any games. Maurice will ride Helly the whole way with Mason only coming in in relief if Helly has a real off night. Other than that it would take Helly crapping the bed for a couple or getting hurt which wouldn't bode well for us.

Reactions: GNP

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
While i agree with this , we have to give Maurice a break on being wrong on challenges , don't forget according to Ron Maclean Maurice only has 1 eye . :laugh:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Buff was giving it to the ref pretty good. I don't think the ejection was out of line.

Buff was given latitude for being salty at the time of the call, but when you go after the ref AGAIN after it's supposed to be all said and done? Ejection well earned in my mind. If they had given him 2+5+10+suspension+lifetime ban+20 years hard time+death by lethal injection for accidentally bumping the ref's skate, sure, I'd be pretty steamed.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Dumb penalties???
wow. mucho caliente take, bro.

why are there some games where the jets pot 5 goals and others where they're shut out?
shit happens. law of averages. nothing more, nothing less.
most of the time, refs do not dictate the outcome of an nhl game.

Reactions: GNP

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Niku reminds me a lot of Torey Krug. Good player to have.
or jake gardiner. makes you wince in his own zone. but you hope it balances out or his partner can cover his deficiencies.
something about NIKU in his zone that makes me cringe. he did it a few times: stopped moving, has one hand on his stick and one curles against his abdomen. looks like a peewee hockey player out there at times.
nice that he scored, but those that say that his d game needs to mature were likely being polite.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Had to indulge the Rod tonight...

Good concert...

Hard leaving though...

The aisles were jammed with wheelchairs and the access lanes next to the building wall to wall Handi-transit... :sarcasm:

Only a Rod Stewart crowd could make me feel so young... :laugh:

giphy.gif

Good to hear we spanked the Habs in OT...

Congrats Conn0ry on your 30th...

:thumbu:

Was there too John! He still has it for a 70 something! Great band...hot/talented stage women too!

I haven’t been to such a quiet lifeless concert “crowd-wise” in ages.

Still got home in time to see Connor snipe the OT winner...beauty goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad