Post-Game Talk: Jets beat Habs in OT 5-4

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
I hope we don't win the Presidents trophy, the team that wins it rarely wins the cup, take second place let the Preds have the Trophy and our odds increase for the real prize.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I guess if every variable that exists on such plays stays constant we can determine statistically what the better decision was.

I'm pretty damn positive next time Ehlers is in that position he won't give a nano second of thought to what statistically is his better option.

He'll go with his instincts, they usually work out ok.

Well sure, I'm not suggesting that he's getting out a calculator or anything. Part of the skill that athletes have is assessing, through experience and knowledge of teammates, these chances in a fuzzy senes on the fly, and doing it fast. Physical execution is, of course, a big part as well :)

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I hope we don't win the Presidents trophy, the team that wins it rarely wins the cup, take second place let the Preds have the Trophy and our odds increase for the real prize.

The team that gets the president's trophy rarely wins the Cup simply because even the best team in the league rarely wins the Cup. It's not like the trophy is cursed, but simply the reality that "being the odds-on favorite in a single elim tournament with several other elite contenders" means that you have a very good chance of going home broke, as they say.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I see what you're saying, however step back and look at the possibilities.
Maybe Ehlers sees a shot that he thinks he can get through.
Price is expecting the cross, higher percentage chance especially knowing who is streaking in for that cross.
Perhaps they were told to stop playing catch as much.
Maybe the dynamic duo have a verbal agreement to shoot if they see something, maybe Laine told him go for his 30th.
Could be that he didn't see that pass as there from his first person view the second before.
Maybe your take is correct, he was greedy.

If i had to guess the pass looked suspect and he saw something and hoped to sell a cross to get price to move to open it up more.
But that is just a guess as well.

However history shows those two play way too much cute passing when they could be shooting.

All choices to be made in split seconds, and sometimes they are wrong.

You are right. Thanks for that :)

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Was at the game last evening with a friend way up in the nose bleeds. People up there were crazy. Great game to watch, Jets were playing hard and scrappy and fans were angry at Buff for no reason other than his reputation for playing rough in past games in the Bell Centre. Laine really stood out, ppl were talking about him around us and yes he's big dude but skates elegantly and great to see him on the ice finally and to see him score his 44th. From my point of view both goaltenders made spectacular saves. Game could have gone either way really. The arena was not a full sell out, only about 80-90% full. I've never seen that before.

Go :jetsGo! Go :habs Go! next year

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
The team that gets the president's trophy rarely wins the Cup simply because even the best team in the league rarely wins the Cup. It's not like the trophy is cursed, but simply the reality that "being the odds-on favorite in a single elim tournament with several other elite contenders" means that you have a very good chance of going home broke, as they say.

This.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
You are all right, I got too emotionally invested and started to think the greedy Dane was a thing :) It was OT and I wanted us to win so badly and when the play was developing I overreacted. I read too much into it (which I knew I was doing but hockey is a passionate game). I just want us to win so badly even in meaningless games :D

Reactions: Ducky10

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
But people keep challenging me on it all the time!! :D

I get this all the time. If it's 10 people posting to me once, and I have to reply once to each, I wind up looking like a zealot when, in fact, my position just has equal (aggregate) airtime as its opposite. Don't poke the bear, the bear won't growl ;)

Reactions: Tommigun

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Our odds don't actually increase. President winner loses more often than not because it is only 1 of 16 teams in the post season and in any given year 4-8 have a legit shot of winning. What winning the President trophy would do is guarantee home ice advantage to a team that has a very strong home ice record and has a lineup that can present very difficult matchups to an opposing teams and with a coach that likes to hard match a shutdown line against other teams top line to free up 3 other lines that all can score goals. This is an advantage for us that just may be enough to prove the difference in a hard fought series. IMO every little edge is important.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

That's not how it works...

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I like Myers when he plays with some aggressiveness . We'll need that in the play offs!

Yes I like Myers playing with the aggressive nature he has been in the last 2-3 games, and have seen him get into a fight and some rough scuffles.

It doesn't hurt that Maurice has been slipping some "extra testosterone" in his Gatorade bottle. The stuff works wonders.;)

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
I want to finish ahead of the Preds just so Scary Underwear goes all psycho on her Twitter account. :laugh:
e9f65775b08eddadc3789cfda2a727a0.jpg

I can hear the crying from here

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
In case it hasn't been asked.

How many times did Beyak say "Petry dishes " last night.

Oh Dennis......

Reactions: Tommigun

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Our odds don't actually increase. President winner loses more often than not because it is only 1 of 16 teams in the post season and in any given year 4-8 have a legit shot of winning. What winning the President trophy would do is guarantee home ice advantage to a team that has a very strong home ice record and has a lineup that can present very difficult matchups to an opposing teams and with a coach that likes to hard match a shutdown line against other teams top line to free up 3 other lines that all can score goals. This is an advantage for us that just may be enough to prove the difference in a hard fought series. IMO every little edge is important.

Also Vancouver and Washington have won a LOT of Presidents Trophies recently. I don't think it's a NHL trend, it's a WSH and VAN can't win a stanley cup trend.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Yes I like Myers playing with the aggressive nature he has been in the last 2-3 games, and have seen him get into a fight and some rough scuffles.

It doesn't hurt that Maurice has been slipping some "extra testosterone" in his Gatorade bottle. The stuff works wonders.;)

It also makes him grow an extra inch or two.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Home ice in a 7 game series is definitely worth a few percent chance to win a series. Give me the points and I'll suffer through the superstition ;)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Home ice in a 7 game series is definitely worth a few percent chance to win a series. Give me the points and I'll suffer through the superstition ;)
I'm not superstitious in the least. I just look at the edge, no matter how small, that every possible advantage might give us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad