Post-Game Talk: Jets beat Habs in OT 5-4

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I almost can’t remember how it feels like to lose :O

But I got really mad at Ehlers in OT when he had Laine with an open net for a tap in and instead he tried to shoot. It was one of the most egoistic plays I’ve seen, he’d rather take a shot from not even that good a position than for the team to win. That’s not a team player. I lost a lot of respect for the guy.

You are looking far to deep for meaning. Half the time those 2 are passing one too many times to each other.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Do we know for certain who were playing in round 1 yet?

Not quite yet, but it's getting very, very close:

WPG

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
or jake gardiner. makes you wince in his own zone. but you hope it balances out or his partner can cover his deficiencies.
something about NIKU in his zone that makes me cringe. he did it a few times: stopped moving, has one hand on his stick and one curles against his abdomen. looks like a peewee hockey player out there at times.
nice that he scored, but those that say that his d game needs to mature were likely being polite.
Bingo

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
2015 draft was already looking good if just Connor and Roslovic had decent NHL careers.

Connor - 60 points in 94 games
Roslovic - 14 points in 31 games (and our best 5 on 5 scorer)
Harkins - Wait and see, I'll give him a pass on his first pro season
Foley - Traded with a 1st to get us Stastny
Spacek - Slow start to his first pro season, but had 10 points in 15 games in March
Appleton - Killing it with the Moose. 4th in AHL scoring.
Niku - Also killing it. Of players drafted in the 7th round since 2010, he's just the 8th to play an NHL game.
Gennaro - Not signed. But has still managed back to back 40 goal seasons in the dub. Not something you'd expect from a kid who scored 16 his draft year and 18 D+1.

Reactions: GNP

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
You are looking far to deep for meaning. Half the time those 2 are passing one too many times to each other.

True, it's just that Laine was streaking towards goal and would have had an easy tap in, instead Ehlers elected to shoot from here:

Attachments

• Ehlers.png
    Ehlers.png
    757.8 KB · Views: 37

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Ya, he's got a bit of Jake Gardiner in him. But he's got one year of North American hockey under his belt. Got a long way to go developing his D game, but the talent is SO impressive
no one's denying his talent.
but those that want him to step into the Jets' line-up next year are fooling themselves.
he will and should start with the Moose. just not sure what can be done to tighten up his D game. give him more minutes against #1 lines? PK time?
not hyperbole, but i'm probably a fraction more comfortable with Logan Stanley in our D zone than I would be with Niku. and no, this isn't to open a Stanley debate. it's just perspective on where NikuGod needs to be.
and for now, I'm totally cool with going into 2018-19 with Enstrom out and Chiarot and/or Poolman in the line-up with Niku being the #8 d-man and - yes, sit down - Stanley as our #9 d-man

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I can't disagree with this. The fact they have so much depth that a good player like Armia could be sitting is a testament to how good this team is and what a great job Chevy has done creating this team.

Yep I'd take Armia out before Tanev or Roslo.

Not me. Armia is the hockey equivalent to a value investment. Forces turnovers, defensively excellent, makes a lot of smart, small plays that tilt the ice. He's a stabilizing force in a way Tanev and Roslo simply aren't at this point. If JMo were a winger, he'd be an Armia/Connor hybrid.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Hey, I am confused. Is it pronounced:

neekew
or
neekoo

I always thought it was pronounced neekoo.

In the GDT yesterday a Finn poster provided a link to a pronunciation app, and it was pronounced Nick-oo. Another provided an interview clip, and in there it was pronounced Nick-oo. Seems unanimous to me, except for TSN guys.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I think you're right. But what does it matter? Especially since it's Ehlers and Laine. It's very likely that they have a bet going about who is going to score more goals in those "meaningless" regular season games since the weekend. Who knows? The last thing there is between those two is bad blood. So who cares about it.

Reactions: Tommigun

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
True, it's just that Laine was streaking towards goal and would have had an easy tap in, instead Ehlers elected to shoot from here:
I see what you're saying, however step back and look at the possibilities.
Maybe Ehlers sees a shot that he thinks he can get through.
Price is expecting the cross, higher percentage chance especially knowing who is streaking in for that cross.
Perhaps they were told to stop playing catch as much.
Maybe the dynamic duo have a verbal agreement to shoot if they see something, maybe Laine told him go for his 30th.
Could be that he didn't see that pass as there from his first person view the second before.
Maybe your take is correct, he was greedy.

If i had to guess the pass looked suspect and he saw something and hoped to sell a cross to get price to move to open it up more.
But that is just a guess as well.

However history shows those two play way too much cute passing when they could be shooting.

All choices to be made in split seconds, and sometimes they are wrong.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
All choices to be made in split seconds, and sometimes they are wrong.

This, you'll rarely ever see a coach question a player on the decsion they make on a scoring opportunity. The player is the one on the ice, they see what they see and go for it, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Right or wrong is all subjective.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
This, you'll rarely ever see a coach question a player on the decsion they make on a scoring opportunity. The player is the one on the ice, they see what they see and go for it, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Right or wrong is all subjective.

I mean, we can try and measure in some ways whether some decisions are "right" or "wrong" in terms of what has the best chance of success, and that's the only way we SHOULD be doing it. Judging decisions as "right" or "wrong" based on how they turned out? That shit turns my hair gray.

I'm sure Ehlers has reviewed the tape already, he's had a chance to review and draw whatever conclusions he needs to make a statistically better decision in that spot next time. Like I said, jack point shit percent chance that Ehlers was motivated by greed or hot-dogging. There HAVE been players in the past I'd entertain that premise on. They are no longer with the team, and thank God for that too.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I mean, we can try and measure in some ways whether some decisions are "right" or "wrong" in terms of what has the best chance of success, and that's the only way we SHOULD be doing it. Judging decisions as "right" or "wrong" based on how they turned out? That **** turns my hair gray.

I'm sure Ehlers has reviewed the tape already, he's had a chance to review and draw whatever conclusions he needs to make a statistically better decision in that spot next time. Like I said, jack point **** percent chance that Ehlers was motivated by greed or hot-dogging. There HAVE been players in the past I'd entertain that premise on. They are no longer with the team, and thank God for that too.

I guess if every variable that exists on such plays stays constant we can determine statistically what the better decision was.

I'm pretty damn positive next time Ehlers is in that position he won't give a nano second of thought to what statistically is his better option.

He'll go with his instincts, they usually work out ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad