Post-Game Talk: Jets beat Habs in OT 5-4

JustBeCool

boom shakalaka
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
I was so hyped about Niku since the rookie tournament before the season. He was just so good. Not surprised at all that he did so well in his first game in the NHL. A goal to boot! Can't wait to see more of him. He is definitely an exciting player to watch. Loving the Jet's depth and their ability to draft gems year after year. Never ceases to amaze me.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
Wow does Montreal get some favorable reffing at home.

Also the ice looked like crap all night, the puck was bouncing and sticking to the ice way too many times.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Buff has to be smarter than that. Taking that kind of a penalty could make him a ref target in the playoffs. The lack of discipline lately has been annoying.

Niku had one rough moment on that one goal but other than that was solid. Really good rush by him in OT. Hopefully he plays in both the remaining games.

Very selfless but dumb of Tanev to try to block that shot with playoffs right around the corner.

Morrow I think is worse than Chiarot. I hope we don't have to play him in the playoffs.

Roslovic played really well as did Dano, but who do you take out of the lineup?

Reactions: libertarian and GNP

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Lets not forget Poolman and his nice game and sweet feed to Roslo. Bottom pair by next Xmas:
Niku Poolman
Yes I thought Poolman showed some progress tonight. I was starting to worry that he might be a little too stiff.
Perrault and other vets need to quit with the stupid penalties. That could kill us in the playoff.

Reactions: GNP and libertarian

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Buff has to be smarter than that. Taking that kind of a penalty could make him a ref target in the playoffs. The lack of discipline lately has been annoying.

Niku had one rough moment on that one goal but other than that was solid. Really good rush by him in OT. Hopefully he plays in both the remaining games.

Very selfless but dumb of Tanev to try to block that shot with playoffs right around the corner.

Morrow I think is worse than Chiarot. I hope we don't have to play him in the playoffs.

I would consider taking Armia out.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Oh well everyone will play. You can't win the sc with no injuries we have the depth to go far.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well that was an odd game.

Connor and Roslovic where excellent. I have no idea why Jack isn't in the line up every night.

Niku showed is offensive instincts and nice shot on his goal. I did however find that he was half a step slow on defense on a number of occasions. Two of those plays lead to goals against. The kid has some nice tools but still has some work to do away from the puck and with it in his own end. Still think he will settle into a top 4 guy for us down the line. Probably sooner than later.

I thought Poolman had his best game in a while. He was solid in his own end and made more offensive plays with the puck then I have seen in a while. He does however need to real in his breakouts as they have become a bit loose. He was better at them earlier in the year.

Mason, Dano and Copp with nice games.

Ehlers needs to stop coughing the puck up in his end.

Reactions: gerbrown

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
JcT6veB.png

5v5 adjusted

(Byfuglien had some shifts with Morrow, and it was bad.)
((My eye test told me Niku is a very swift skater with offensive instincts. Which is probably not best paired with Byfuglien haha))
(((Should I be getting slightly worried about Laine-Stastny-Ehlers? Maybe. Hockey can be streaky.)))

Ouch those XGF numbers for all of our dmen sans Myers and Chariot.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

Tanev does not know how to play any other way.

It is what he does.

The fact that you thought Tanev was dumb to block a shot in a nothing game is a statement on how important he has become to the team. Who would of thought at the beginning of the season that any Jet fan would of thought this about him. I have to admit that I thought he was a Moose player this year not a player that I would make a argument to keep in the Jets lineup over players like Armia and Roslo.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yes I thought Poolman showed some progress tonight. I was starting to worry that he might be a little too stiff.
Perrault and other vets need to quit with the stupid penalties That could kill us in the playoff.

I totally agree with St.B here --and the Jet's have got to be more disciplined with the dumb penalties. You'd think the veterans like Buff and Perrault would know better.

If the Jet's lose control, and can't control their penalties --it will likely cost them a playoff series against a good team. Some teams have devastating power plays.

At times this year, the Jet's were good on controlling the penalties, but lately I've noticed -- they've been taking way to many. I hope Maurice will "police" this problem, as I'd sure hate the Jet's to lose a playoff series to a lack of discipline.

Reactions: Saintb and adammlis

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Winning ugly still beats losing.

But Jets have not been playing well with a lead lately.

Reactions: GNP

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I'm lovin Tanev even more tonight. Seems his recent scoring streak has him play with more confidence. Loved it that he was more than willing to drop the gloves after a cheap elbow to his chin. He's an integral part of this team!

Buf doesn't get a call from the league disciplinarians. Ref backed into him.

Good game from the young guns tonight. Congrats to Niku on his first NHL goal.

Fun game to watch with nothing on the line. The present and the future look bright for the Jets.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Can anyone tell me how often we've come out ahead in the penalty parade this year? Seems like 9 out of 10 games we get the lions share, but maybe thats just the way it seems.

It’s been pretty even over the season. Actually. I’ll update the ST report card thread later

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I never said it was a good call. But when I saw the replay where he bumped ref I got worried about a suspension instantly.

I had the same thought but it was really incidental contact. It wasn't an aggressive move by Buff. You could almost say the ref bumped Buff.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Ouch those XGF numbers for all of our dmen sans Myers and Chariot.

The thing about Montreal is they need a correction factor on their xG (a negative one) They have outshot their opponents a lot this year but they can’t finnish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad