Post-Game Talk: Jets 5 Oilers 4

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO people are crapping on Talbot a little too hard. Yes he let in some softies like the GWG but he made a lot of big saves and got us to OT when the rest of the team crapped the bed in the 3rd. That is a good game from our back-up IMO. Had that been Montoya, Brossoit, etc. we'd have lost that one 7-4 or something.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I have faith in Hitchcock.

In his experience it is unwise, or even stupid, to run with one goalie. His words.

One of the strenght of this team is that we have two good goalies, each one can on a good night win us games. His words.

Team's effort is at 90%, execution at 60%.

Soon we're up for two longer breaks with (finally) plenty of practice time. Looks great so far but I am interested on how they'll look and play after the breaks.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Christ sakes, it was a great game and we got a point. Some of you are acting like we lost 8-0. The Jets are one of the best teams and we were down 3 top 4 D men. Gravel played really well last night, Benning was decent. Bottom pairing got exposed way too much. Nurse and Larsson played very well for the minutes they played. Good effort by mostly everyone. The OT winner was soft by Talbot but he also saved like 5 or 6 point blank chances that would have been sure goals against him 2-3 weeks ago.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
60-40 Jets in the first.
80-20 Oilers in the second.
95-5 Jets in the third.

Given the Oil lineup and the fact that we ended up with a point against a team with fantastic depth, I’m satisfied.

Happy to see Khaira score. Seems Hitch might like this player and is giving him more chances than McLellan did. I think JJ is responding well. Thought he had a hell of a game last night. Wish the big guy would use his speed on every shift though. HM to Brodz and Kassian as well. Thought they were hustling all night - esp on the PK. Hitch is getting to these guys too.

Which leads to the point I wanted to make. Unbelievable how Hitchcock seems to be getting guys to play better individually. I can only assume that this comes from him being able to reach the players mentally. It’s a facet of coaching that perhaps most fans, myself included, don’t consider enough. Drawing up the lineup, running practices, having a game plan etc ... these were all things I expected to improve under Hitchcock. What I didn’t expect to see so quickly was guys embracing roles and/or skating their guts out to show the coach they deserve a particular role. It’s clear they are playing for Hitch.

I was on record saying Bowman couldn’t coach this roster into the playoffs. Hitch is a slam dunk hall of fame coach so he’s as close as any of us is going to get to seeing a ‘Bowman’ again. And it’s clear he’s proving me wrong. A hall of fame coach could get this roster into the playoffs if it gets healthy. How fortunate are we that Hitchcock was available?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
60-40 Jets in the first.
95-5 Jets in the third.

Given the Oil lineup and the fact that we ended up with a point against a team with fantastic depth, I’m satisfied.

Happy to see Khaira score. Seems Hitch might like this player and is giving him more chances than McLellan did. I think JJ is responding well. Thought he had a hell of a game last night. Wish the big guy would use his speed on every shift though. HM to Brodz and Kassian as well. Thought they were hustling all night - esp on the PK. Hitch is getting to these guys too.

Which leads to the point I wanted to make. Unbelievable how Hitchcock seems to be getting guys to play better individually. I can only assume that this comes from him being able to reach the players mentally. It’s a facet of coaching that perhaps most fans, myself included, don’t consider enough. Drawing up the lineup, running practices, having a game plan etc ... these were all things I expected to improve under Hitchcock. What I didn’t expect to see so quickly was guys embracing roles and/or skating their guts out to show the coach they deserve a particular role. It’s clear they are playing for Hitch.

I was on record saying Bowman couldn’t coach this roster into the playoffs. Hitch is a slam dunk hall of fame coach so he’s as close as any of us is going to get to seeing a ‘Bowman’ again. And it’s clear he’s proving me wrong. A hall of fame coach could get this roster into the playoffs if it gets healthy. How fortunate are we that Hitchcock was available?

A tip of the hat from me to you. Hitch has definitely been a Godsend to this team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No you need a team in front of your goalie that doesn't get totally dominated in one period. The Oilers as a team was the issue in the third not the goalie. If Talbot was not on his game in the third the Jets would of won by 2 or 3 goals in regulation. The OT goal against is deffinitly suspect but without his play in the third period the Oilers would not had the chance to win the game in OT.
That's all fine, but if we are going to win right now the goalies need to keep it to 3 or less. I don't really care how, but if he or Koskinen are allowing 4 we are in trouble.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
On a side note. Listening to the radio it was brought up the Jets actually have a better record when they let the first goal in. Quite astonishing

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Last years team gets absolutely rocked last night. Two points woulda been great but the fact they got the one on a night where we really had no business is fine with me. I really was shocked they managed to drag it to ot. That 3rd period is one to forget.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
60-40 Jets in the first.
95-5 Jets in the third.

I wasn't particularly excited by the Hitch hiring. Boy was I wrong - I'm so impressed by the change in the team under him. The only complaint I have left really is the power play formation and hey, maybe that's something McDavid is specifically pushing for.

Reactions: LaGu

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Talbot is a good goalie; he's just a little lost at the moment. I don't know if he will ever return to his 2016/17 form again, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he did. Anyone who has strapped on the pads knows the headspace he's probably in right now: thinking too much, body doesn't react as quickly as it should, worried about straight on shots. It's a really shitty mindset to be in, especially because so much of goaltending is mental.

The toughest thing to watch is Talbot obviously experiencing these mental issues. If we see it, his teammates see it (the opposing end sees it too), and that can have a cascading effect in the game. D-men play a little differently when they know their goalie is struggling, and forwards might grip the stick a little tighter knowing that goals are just a little more important.

Last night both goalies were off, and everyone knew it. But for the Oilers, it's kind of been an ongoing issue, and you can see it in the way they play when Talbot is in net. It's a very tense feeling that we as fans feel with them. They got a point with an injury-laden squad against an elite team, but you can't ignore the obvious. Something has to give there.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
60-40 Jets in the first.
95-5 Jets in the third.

Great post.

I'd also add to it (even though it's already baked in there) that he really seems to know how to use a player's strenghts. I always assume/think that players at this level don't really need to develop that much. It looks like big steps in development when someone (coach or similar) manages to pin-point a strenght and have the player use them in the right way. This is above the general quality of the player of course.

Hitch seems to be awesome at this and as you say he seems to also get them to think the right way.

I'll mention something I kept to closed door conversations a couple of weeks ago. KLEFBOM said just a couple of games after Hitch took over that he liked McLellan and thought practices were hard under Hitch but not much changed (didn't word it very nicely so he would have neen roasted on hfoil...). Just one week later he was excited as a kid on Christmas eve talking about Hitch and the positive changes he had on the team and added that he looked forward to Hitch starting to work more with the defence (apparently he worked almost exclusively with the fwds in the first weeks). I bet he isn't the only one who has had this turn-around and it's a very good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: harpoon

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Earning a point against the Jets with the defense they rolled out is pretty good. Usually, get one or two injuries and the team folds.
And that we were a post away from taking two points shows the team is starting to build resilience.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
IMO people are crapping on Talbot a little too hard. Yes he let in some softies like the GWG but he made a lot of big saves and got us to OT when the rest of the team crapped the bed in the 3rd. That is a good game from our back-up IMO. Had that been Montoya, Brossoit, etc. we'd have lost that one 7-4 or something.

He had a very Dubnyk like performance last night. I had the same thought after the game, that Talbot played at about the level you’d think your backup goalie would be able to. Made some good saves, let in some goals he should have stopped. It’s lretty clear over the last year and a bit that this is the Talbot we should expect to see.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
ok, when was this "big save?"

he made the saves he needed to to get to OT, but their shots weren't overly dangerous

then he whiffed on an un-screened shot from the faceoff-dot in OT

It seemed like a game where the Jets had lots of shots but it was more quantity than quality.

Reactions: frag2

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
On a side note. Listening to the radio it was brought up the Jets actually have a better record when they let the first goal in. Quite astonishing

I think them being down a goal probably forces them to play to their strength which is scoring goals. They dictate the pace and control the momentum.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
ok, when was this "big save?"

he made the saves he needed to to get to OT, but their shots weren't overly dangerous

then he whiffed on an un-screened shot from the faceoff-dot in OT

I forgot to pvr the game so I can't give exact times in the game, but there were two in the 3rd period he made that kept the Oilers in it. One was a one timer from the slot that he absorbed. Too me, that was a big save. One timers from the slot aren't easy stops. The other one was a hard wrist shot labelled for the top corner from the circle. He got a glove on it and tipped it over the net. Again, nothing overly spectacular but it was a big stop in my opinion.

It's a double edged sword with Talbot. He made the big saves to get them to OT but he didn't make the big save in regulation off Perrault (thought he could have stopped that) and the Laine goal. He got a piece of it, but not enough. It looked like he shot it right at him and was stoppable in my opinion.

Reactions: nabob and frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
So we just need goalies to play one period now?

That first goal Perrault where he just walked right in...sure our D man couldve stopped him from cutting in easy to the front but Talbot seems to always have issues when players cut in front of him. Reminded me so much of that Crosby goal where both him and Strome got walked.

It seemed like a game where the Jets had lots of shots but it was more quantity than quality.

It's reminiscent of us vs the Wings with Roli getting like 50 saves but majority of the shots from the distance.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I forgot to pvr the game so I can't give exact times in the game, but there were two in the 3rd period he made that kept the Oilers in it. One was a one timer from the slot that he absorbed. Too me, that was a big save. One timers from the slot aren't easy stops. The other one was a hard wrist shot labelled for the top corner from the circle. He got a glove on it and tipped it over the net. Again, nothing overly spectacular but it was a big stop in my opinion.

It's a double edged sword with Talbot. He made the big saves to get them to OT but he didn't make the big save in regulation off Perrault (thought he could have stopped that) and the Laine goal. He got a piece of it, but not enough. It looked like he shot it right at him and was stoppable in my opinion.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that as well.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Caggiula thought he was Mcdavid out there for a shift with his behind the back pass turnover, then another turn over, then another one in the same sequence and its in their net.

Good job Drake, welcome back.

Reactions: frag2 and oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Caggiula thought he was Mcdavid out there for a shift with his behind the back pass turnover, then another turn over, then another one in the same sequence and its in their net.

Glued to the bench after that shift.

God, all he had to do was dump it in and his shift would have been over in ~40 seconds. Instead, back pass to no one at the offensive blue line, and it ends up being a 1:30+ shift with 3 more idiotic plays.

Caggiula might get to be the first guy to get absolutely ripped on by Hitch.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Thats the problem with Cagguila. If he just played on the third and fourth line as an energy type guy who plays simple hes pretty good. Hes just not good defensively and he shouldnt be on the PK (too many brain lapses). He also just thinks thats hes much more skilled than he actually is. He makes so many bad plays because hes trying to be hero or because he thinks hes better than he is. I have generally liked what I have saw from him this year, but he wasnt good last night. He was coming off an injury which should be more of the reason to just play a simple game.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Christ sakes, it was a great game and we got a point. Some of you are acting like we lost 8-0. The Jets are one of the best teams and we were down 3 top 4 D men. Gravel played really well last night, Benning was decent. Bottom pairing got exposed way too much. Nurse and Larsson played very well for the minutes they played. Good effort by mostly everyone. The OT winner was soft by Talbot but he also saved like 5 or 6 point blank chances that would have been sure goals against him 2-3 weeks ago.
I don't agree didn't Garvel have 2 goals go in off of him? He has a big body and thats great but sometimes seems out of control. Benning was flying all over the place as in falling . That was probably a game that Talbot should not have been in but I get going with the "hot" goalie. Happy with the point but I guess the defense will need a few games to mesh. Could have been worse with CMc being double teamed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad