Post-Game Talk: Jets 5 Oilers 4

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was hoping the forwards would step up and score 3 goals.

Was hoping somehow the d would score a goal.

Was then hoping the goaltending could keep it to 3 or less goals.

I know Talbot made some big saves, but if we are to win with this defense the goalies will need to find a way to keep it to 3 or less.

Reactions: frag2

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Hard fought point. Harder than some 2 point games. Talbot got us the 1 point so I'm not going to #$%^ on him for the non-save in OT. Also, both goalies got beat in OT. The difference was that our shot hit the post. Talbot peppered almost all game and came up with 35 huge saves. Way tougher game than against Colly. Most of that game felt like the Jets had 6 players on the ice. I'm more pissed at Garrison for that first stupid penalty that allowed the Jets into the game.

The times of the game when we controlled possession we looked pretty good, like most of the second period.

Last game they were missing Buff and we won in OT. This game we were missing Klef+ and they took it in OT. 3 of 4 points from the Jets so far.

Before the game, and knowing the injuries, I hoped for a solid team game and at least 1 point to be happy. 2 pts and I would have been really happy. So I'm happy. On to the next game. Hopefully they have some energy left for tonight.

Reactions: elmeroil

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
His glove hand is so ****ing bad.

Yup, it sure is. Talbot didn't play terrible, he even played "pretty good", considering how he normally plays. But you HAVE TO make that save in OT.

Overall pretty happy with the game. Down 2 of our top-4 dmen, with our backup in net, on the road against one of the best teams in the league playing their starter, and we were down 3-1 at one point. To get the point, and could have easily won the game if McDavid's shot is 1-2 cm different, is pretty good.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Take the point and run. We all would have taken a point before this game. Lucky we didn't lose it in regulation.

We all would have taken 3 out of 4 points on this littler road trip (Colorado/Winnipeg) and been very happy about it. 3/4 against those 2 teams on the road is pretty good, and especially so considering the injuries we sustained along the way.

Reactions: Cypress

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Half the defense was AHL caliber with all the injuries and they were playing a very good team. Take the point and run.

Exactly. It's not like we have Nashvilles D, where we can sustain 2 injuries to our top-4, and keep on trucking (3 of our top 6 if you count Sekera). We have a weak defense as it is, so you take our best and 4th best guy out of the lineup, and yeah, thing aren't going to look pretty.

For the next few weeks we need to hope to tread water, and only be 4-6 points out of a playoff spot when Klefbom comes back.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Of course. Hindsight is easy. I thought it would have been blowout but now that I have a strong feeling that Koskinen would have made the difference it's hard not to revert back to my original suggestion who should start the tougher game.

Maybe they were playing the odds for a guaranteed two points vs Phi... sure, but it's the Oilers. By no means is that a guaranteed two points. In my opinion you play the more skilled and more confident goalie against the stronger teams.

Maybe it's as simple as Hitch told Talbot a few days ago he would start and Hitch kept his word.

That's actually what I was thinking. It's a back to back and you got one really difficult opponent and one whom you should be able to get 2 points out of .

Unless you intend to play Koskinen both games, might be wiser to try to get the "easier" 2 points out of the Flyers .If Talbot netted you anything, that's gravy on top

Reactions: elmeroil

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know that the Jets are crazy good especially in that building, but this D is not going to hold up for long. Garrison needs to be off the team for good. Nice career Jason, time to hang them up.

Yeah, Garrison has been bad every time he's in the lineup. Gravel has been a nice surprise so far, for what he is. But Garrison needs to only be put in emergency situations from now on (which it was last night I suppose). You gotta think that Jones can't be any worse though?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Morrissey was in Connor's face all night. Seems to happen so often that that is the player that pots an important goal.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Thing is, Talbot faced a massive volume of perimeter shots, but the tying goal was unstoppable.
The OT should have been stopped.

Right now with the way Costco is playing, we know what a REAL starter looks like. And He would have won us that game.

Koski lets in 1 less goal a game in GAA, and makes that one big save when his team needs it. You see that in the save%.

Dont forget, one guy has 3 SO and the other hasnt had one for a year and a half.

Theres a reason one goalie is 10-3-1 and the other is 7-9-2

Same team. Way different results.

Koskinen wins that game no problem.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Talbot apologists make it sound like he's the only goalie to face difficult shots or defensive miscues. Never understood that line of thinking especially when his partner performs significantly better behind the same defensemen

Not saying that Talbot should be # 1 goalie going forward. Just saying that he was not the problem last night and his play in the third period is the reason the Oilers got a point at all.

Reactions: Messrules11

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Koski lets in 1 less goal a game in GAA, and makes that one big save when his team needs it. You see that in the save%.

Dont forget, one guy has 3 SO and the other hasnt had one for a year and a half.

Theres a reason one goalie is 10-3-1 and the other is 7-9-2

Same team. Way different results.

Koskinen wins that game no problem.
Then you start Talbot tonight and lose that game.

Doesn't seem like a difficult option.

Also did you see that defense? Woof.

I'll take 3 out of 4 points instead of 2, if that.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Maybe Talbot needs to start ringing his stick off the post so he can better position himself like Koskinen does.

I'm still not overly disappointed with last night's result. We'd wake up to see them still in the WC1 spot with San Jose winning in regulation. Also the Oilers were 0/3 on breakaways. In fact they were 0/3 in getting a shot on net on those breakaways with two defensive plays and Connor chipping his over the net.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
You might say Koskinen would have that one or this one. But there is no way to know he doesn't let a couple of the other 36 saves Talbot made.

Thats true. I can't get behind the post-game bashing of any particular guy really. I think Talbot has been a great goalie for us at times. But the numbers are suggesting Koskinen is the man.

Perhaps Nurse could have played it tighter in OT. But we just watched a pre-game breakdown of how the players are being taught under Hitch to protect the slot and trust the goalie with the outside shots.

Reactions: Aerrol

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Maybe Talbot needs to start ringing his stick off the post so he can better position himself like Koskinen does.

I'm still not overly disappointed with last night's result. We'd wake up to see them still in the WC1 spot with San Jose winning in regulation. Also the Oilers were 0/3 on breakaways. In fact they were 0/3 in getting a shot on net on those breakaways with two defensive plays and Connor chipping his over the net.
I sincerely wonder if the Oilers practice breakaways, they're so bad at them.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Geez, people are talking like Koskinen could never have a bad game. You know what is keeping him from hitting his first major slump in the NHL? Being able to play Talbot now and then to give Koskinen rest. Everyone is so quick to fall in love with a new goalie that has a nice run, then happily toss them in the trash as soon as they have a rough go, which all goalies have eventually.

If McLellan was still coach, Talbot likely doesn't play another game after the Vegas loss and Koskinen could be well into being run down into the ground right now, likely struggling by now with the trash defensive system in front of him. Then Talbot could go in ice cold after sitting a month and we could live 17/18 all over again.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
So we just need goalies to play one period now?

No you need a team in front of your goalie that doesn't get totally dominated in one period. The Oilers as a team was the issue in the third not the goalie. If Talbot was not on his game in the third the Jets would of won by 2 or 3 goals in regulation. The OT goal against is deffinitly suspect but without his play in the third period the Oilers would not had the chance to win the game in OT.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
No you need a team in front of your goalie that doesn't get totally dominated in one period. The Oilers as a team was the issue in the third not the goalie. If Talbot was not on his game in the third the Jets would of won by 2 or 3 goals in regulation. The OT goal against is deffinitly suspect but without his play in the third period the Oilers would not had the chance to win the game in
OT.
I literally don't remember one big save he made in the 3rd...he was "solid" but that's because all the Jets shots were from the perimeter

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Wow, anyone complaining that the Oilers should have won this game really makes me wonder how you hold them to such high expectations? Absolutely depleted on the back end, playing a very good team in a very tough place to win and the Oilers managed to grab a point with their backup goalie in net.

It just amazes me how some fans on this board expect perfection. How can you not be happy that the Oilers battled in a game where the deck was very much stacked against them? Just constant bitching and complaining about what they aren't doing and what they should be doing when the team has played so well.

You wouldn't want to get behind your team and acknowledge the good, that would be ridiculous. That was a damn good point last night and the team battled hard for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad