Post-Game Talk: Jets 5 - Blues 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm really liking how deep we are looking. We are winning with different lines taking lead roles on different nights. This is what team balance looks like, and it is what people have been wanting for years. We finally have enough talent up front to make it happen.
If we could only make a couple of internal tweaks on D.

Waive Stan
Call up Capo
Bench Schmidt
Rotate Capo and Chizz

There's no way that doesn't make us stronger

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agreed. More and more he is looking like the guy looking in from the outside.
He's just looking really slow, and his passing decisions are extremely poor.

I thought he had lost a step after his surgery, but he just looks like a guy who's a step behind the play, mentally. Oftentimes that does show up in skating too, not physically but mentally.

I'm just hoping he's still getting up to speed after being out but he doesn't seem to be getting better, I'm kind of worried.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed. More and more he is looking like the guy looking in from the outside.

Yeah something has to give with him. Cole needs some help on the second line and he's the one who's supposed to be doing it but is just not getting it done. He's also now been supplanted by Cole in the pecking order much like he was last year prior to Cole getting injured. Not really sure what to do with him this season other then hope he figures it out and ups his game.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The TOI breakdown for the forwards is beautiful. Finally a 4th line that can play 10+ minutes a night
Screenshot_20231108_062529_NHL.jpg

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Dallas is also strong, but neither are world beaters. More and more it is starting to appear that we will be in the top 3 mix in the Central.
A long way to go but just where I thought we'd be.

Dallas has had an easier qoc so far so while I do think they're a solid team with a very good goalie, I'd expect them to fall off their pace a bit

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What was up with the Jets’ speed of play, both skating and no-wait passing in the second? Was everybody on Red Bull?
If we can let those horses bust loose in every game, Av’s and Dallas are in for a wee surprise!
Great teamwork (with a good helping of chaos sprinkled in). We also seem to do consistently well on Dzone breakouts when we have sucked all the opponents F and D into our own Dzone. (Don’t tell anybody, it might be in our playbook)
We are attacking the puck all over the ice, our D is as active as I've seen it in a few years, and we look super dangerous off the rush.

This team is starting to look like the 17-18 pack of wolves. Maybe a scooch deeper on F and less talented on D.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
He's just looking really slow, and his passing decisions are extremely poor.

I thought he had lost a step after his surgery, but he just looks like a guy who's a step behind the play, mentally. Oftentimes that does show up in skating too, not physically but mentally.

I'm just hoping he's still getting up to speed after being out but he doesn't seem to be getting better, I'm kind of worried.

He doesn't even really seem slower to me, it just seems like his head's not in it or something. He's making uncharacteristically bad decisions like you say and killing plays.

Man Schief was fun to watch in this one. I think if they had a better player than Iafallo on that line him and Connor would look a lot better in general. Iafallo had a great game too though.

Thought all our centers played super well.

Reactions: Jet

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
That’s what real depth gives you. Enough talent to run 4 lines. In the past when our depth was really no more than a handful of AHL tweeners you really didn’t want them to play that much.

It's been a long time since I haven't dreaded having one or more of our players out there. And if a line or two is slumping there are others to get it done. Makes a big difference for sure.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The TOI breakdown for the forwards is beautiful. Finally a 4th line that can play 10+ minutes a night
View attachment 765043

This distribution looks great.
I’ve been hoping there was still a residual market for Stanley, but appears that isn’t the case.

They waited too long imo. Had they dealt him right after his Canadian division year they likely get something good for him.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He doesn't even really seem slower to me, it just seems like his head's not in it or something. He's making uncharacteristically bad decisions like you say and killing plays.

Man Schief was fun to watch in this one. I think if they had a better player than Iafallo on that line him and Connor would look a lot better in general. Iafallo had a great game too though.

Thought all our centers played super well.
It's funny, because I catch myself thinking that about Iafallo as well but look who had 4 assists and not just oooooh it touched me assists, but actual key plays and setups for goals.

Might just be a bit of bias of what we thought Iafallo was when we got him. He has a more simple game than the other two, but he's strong on the wall and he makes good plays that are more direct/ less flashy.

I am pretty excited to see Gabe back on that line but at the same time, with Ehlers struggling so much we might have to rethink that to ensure that the second line (read Perfetti) has some support so he can start producing more.

That makes me wonder where Ehlers fits on this team, now? You don't put him on the 3rd line because that line is magic right now.

It might be time to move on from Ehlers. I bet we could package him with one of our prospects and get that vaunted top pair RD we've been searching for, but I'm not sure I love that idea. We have Heinola, Chisolm and Capobianco who have all honestly earned a real shot at playing on this roster, and adding another D causes us some issues there.

I think we just have to see if Nik can pull himself out of this. FFS though I wish the team would AT LEAST give Chisolm a game or two to see if he can outperform 88 and 64 - I honestly don't know why Stanley is still a Jet (I know I know, you can never have too many D)

I’ve been hoping there was still a residual market for Stanley, but appears that isn’t the case.
At some point you just have to accept that your 1st rounder flopped. It happens all the time.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm not ready to give up on Ehlers yet, Valardi comes back you throw him with Scheifele and Connor, move Perfetti back to center with Iaffalo and Ehlers. Leave the 3rd line alone and have Names playing with Kupari and Barron on the 4th . Now that's what i call depth man . :nod:

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
It's funny, because I catch myself thinking that about Iafallo as well but look who had 4 assists and not just oooooh it touched me assists, but actual key plays and setups for goals.

Might just be a bit of bias of what we thought Iafallo was when we got him. He has a more simple game than the other two, but he's strong on the wall and he makes good plays that are more direct/ less flashy.

I'd agree except that the top line just hasn't been great on the whole. Getting hemmed defensively and not generating a lot offensively either.

Schief dominated this game by himself, which made everything work obviously, but I also think the Blues don't have any real powerhouse lines to bully the Schief line either which we've seen happen. I just think if you're going to have Schief and Connor together you need someone very strong to tilt the ice. It worked last game but I'm not sure how strong the Blues actually are, and don't think we can count on Schief beasting like that regularly...

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
what a wonderful feeling. I woke up around 3.30 am my time and checked the score. The jets were up 3-1. So I went back to sleep in peace. I just got up, fixed me a coffee and watched the highlights. that's how I want to start my day.
Highly recommend using dtmts.com (don't tell me the score) if you want to keep the score an unknown through the extended highlights.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd agree except that the top line just hasn't been great on the whole. Getting hemmed defensively and not generating a lot offensively either.

Schief dominated this game by himself, which made everything work obviously, but I also think the Blues don't have any real powerhouse lines to bully the Schief line either which we've seen happen. I just think if you're going to have Schief and Connor together you need someone very strong to tilt the ice. It worked last game but I'm not sure how strong the Blues actually are, and don't think we can count on Schief beasting like that regularly...

Agreed. To me the Blues defense ain't what it used to be. They also aren't super strong upfront.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Well if Eye-ah-fah-loh (thanks to @KevSaw for the phonetical guide) is matching PLD just on his own, then does that mean we won the LAK trade by 2 whole players?

Nice win by t'lads. Outside of the first 10 mins or so and minus a few wobbles they looked to be solidly in control of that one and made the Blues look very ordinary, despite the enthusiasm of their fans.

P'tonque continues his less-bad, even good play, 1st line killing it, 2nd hanging in, 3rd and 4th looking strong also.

Helle fine outside of the leaker.

Kupari and Barron get some kudos for relentless puck pressure in the o-zone, keeping pucks in when all hope seemed lost.

Galadriel.jpeg

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I liked a lot of what the jets were doing last night, though I didn't like the negligent counterpunch defense that they were giving up. I'm sorry, but no forward should have a break away from the blue line in. Bucky was swimming a lot last night as well, which wasn't very inspiring. The Jets made the most of their opportunities, but the Blues could have had a lead easily if they buried a couple of their wide open nets.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
First ~5 minutes of the game, I thought it was going to be a long night. Jets just slowly took over. And Binnington is CRAP.

Pionk can contribute offensively, but he remains a big defensive liability.

Great road win. Way to go boys!

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

I am pretty excited to see Gabe back on that line but at the same time, with Ehlers struggling so much we might have to rethink that to ensure that the second line (read Perfetti) has some support so he can start producing more.

That makes me wonder where Ehlers fits on this team, now? You don't put him on the 3rd line because that line is magic right now.

It might be time to move on from Ehlers. I bet we could package him with one of our prospects and get that vaunted top pair RD we've been searching for, but I'm not sure I love that idea. We have Heinola, Chisolm and Capobianco who have all honestly earned a real shot at playing on this roster, and adding another D causes us some issues there.

I think we just have to see if Nik can pull himself out of this. FFS though I wish the team would AT LEAST give Chisolm a game or two to see if he can outperform 88 and 64 - I honestly don't know why Stanley is still a Jet (I know I know, you can never have too many D)

At some point you just have to accept that your 1st rounder flopped. It happens all the time.

Yep. However "committed" they have been to him.

I was hoping for Stan to be moved on this offseason. Not sure why they extended him but it's a cheapish contract, not hard to move.

Capo is the better player, and brings a viable swap in for Schmidt.

Wonder if they're waiting on Ville's return to make a move, but once again it will involve a Stan, Capo or Chisholm waiver, unless Ville spends the rest of the year in the A, which he doesn't deserve if he brings the same game he had during the preseason.

Once again, the long waiting game with our D.

And Chisholm grows mould in the PB.

Team's playing well and putting up points, but it's early enough in the season still to try some things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad