Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Dead Wings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah, I liked how they played at times last night. Looks to me like they are trying to emulate the Devils/Tampa of old template.

I'd love to see us incorporate some of that type of offense into our game.
Complete with some classic Tampa-style interference picks (or attempts anyway...)

Reactions: thereturn

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Winning is always good.
giphy.gif

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I have to say, watching Perfetti is so much fun. You can see every little decision he makes has intelligence and considerations of risk/reward behind it. I haven't seen that kind of decisionmaking all over the ice since Perreault. (Obviously Fetts' ceiling is higher, but Matty P was an incredibly smart player).

I think Perfetti is going to be another one of those guys that just seems to almost 'magically' improve every line that he's on.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have to say, watching Perfetti is so much fun. You can see every little decision he makes has intelligence and considerations of risk/reward behind it. I haven't seen that kind of decisionmaking all over the ice since Perreault. (Obviously Fetts' ceiling is higher, but Matty P was an incredibly smart player).

I think Perfetti is going to be another one of those guys that just seems to almost 'magically' improve every line that he's on.

Yeah the game has really slowed down for him. He looks in total control in most situations.

Last edited:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

Good things happen when the puck was on his stick. Every time you expect a magical pass and something to happen.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Taking my mid-morning break to enjoy some commentary in here, expecting all sorts of praise for Hellebuyck, and instead find mostly grumbling and arguments about players and statistics and stuff. I really don't understand you guys some times. (Okay, classic understatement.) Reading all this, you'd have thought we lost.

I loved the game last night and thought Bucky was fantastic. At one point in the second, it said we'd been outshot 17-4 and he still kept us in the game. After all the complaints for the first few games, I'd have thought you'd be rejoicing.

I'm working Saturday night and won't see the game, but I'm hoping we get another victory. And perhaps this place will be rocking on four wins in a row rather than who should be 2C and why these stats prove this or that or who gets stuck with the wrong wingman.

I hit myself in the face with a snowbrush this morning and I'm still in a better mood than most of you.
Totally agree and sorry to hear about the snow brush incident, if you are like me you would have been pissed off at first but then start laughing at yourself.:laugh: At least you weren't this guy this morning.:laugh:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Totally agree and sorry to hear about the snow brush incident, if you are like me you would have been pissed off at first but then start laughing at yourself.:laugh: At least you weren't this guy this morning.:laugh:

This is hilarious! Fortunately, our old little Honda is unique outside our building.

Growing up on the coast, this is my first ever winter of cleaning snow off the car. My roommate got in, handed out the brush to me, then started the car. Taking the hint and trying not to cover myself with snow, I rushed things and ended up giving myself a solid whack, from cheek to ear, with the foxing brush. Still not laughing, but I think she did.

Oh well, one more winter in Winnipeg. I suppose I savour the full experience.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I don't feel like going back to look at previous years or other teams to see how strong the correlation is between 5 on 5 goaltending and the standings, but here is the goaltending comparisons for the games so far.

5 on 5 goals saved above expected
JetsOppositionDifferenceResult
-1.29​
0.1​
-1.39​
L
0.82​
-0.7​
1.52​
W
-1.12​
0.3​
-1.42​
L
-0.2​
1.11​
-1.31​
L
1.56​
1.23​
0.33​
W(OT)
1.63​
-0.37​
2​
W
1.16​
-1.43​
2.59​
W
Stats are deceiving ... obviously the team that scores more goals will have the better goalie stats majority of the time.
Lets use the Flames game as an example ... the Flames shorthanded goal looked bad but was it really bad or a good or lucky pass (it looked like it hit Connors stick first) and the puck when to Andersson. Also there was a highstick before the goal so it should not have counted.
If you watched the Helly interview on after hours. He mentioned how he plays the game .... "do I take the shooter and have a 100% chance of stopping it or do I play the pass and half a 50% chance of stopping it." That's why some goals look bad and some saves look great.
Also in the Flames game Markstrom did make some great saves but when you are looking the other way and the shooter hits your pads ... I call that lucky.
By the way how are the Flames doing ... I see they used up all their horseshoes against the Jets.

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
@surixon 38:30 Marek and Friedman discuss Perfetti's usage

Friedman sets out a way for the Jets to communicate an argument for the Jets to justify his usage. My counter argument to Friedman's point would be pointing to the first game with Arniel as head coach showed that it wasn't a justified benching.

Edit: Sidenote, Jeff Marek really shouldn't refer to developing a prospect as 'grooming a young player' :laugh:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This is hilarious! Fortunately, our old little Honda is unique outside our building.

Growing up on the coast, this is my first ever winter of cleaning snow off the car. My roommate got in, handed out the brush to me, then started the car. Taking the hint and trying not to cover myself with snow, I rushed things and ended up giving myself a solid whack, from cheek to ear, with the foxing brush. Still not laughing, but I think she did.

Oh well, one more winter in Winnipeg. I suppose I savour the full experience.
Going back to the coast? Remember you will always be a Jets fan though from now on.:nod:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
@surixon 38:30 Marek and Friedman discuss Perfetti's usage

Friedman sets out a way for the Jets to communicate an argument for the Jets to justify his usage. My counter argument to Friedman's point would be pointing to the first game with Arniel as head coach showed that it wasn't a justified benching.

Edit: Sidenote, Jeff Marek really shouldn't refer to developing a prospect as 'grooming a young player' :laugh:

I listend but to me it comes across as people not watching the actual game. Friedman talking about how to change it misses the mark because Cole is already excellent defensively by every metric. What does he have to change here grow 3 inches and throw his weight around? How can a coach honestly look at a player who is good off the puck in the eye and say this is what you have to change and then throw Kyle Connor over the boards to defend a lead. To me you lose all credibility.

To me this is nothing more then a coach letting his biases get in the way of informed decision making.

But good on the national media to pick up on the fact that he's being significantly underutilized.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Going back to the coast? Remember you will always be a Jets fan though from now on.:nod:
I've no idea where I'll be going, other than being pretty sure I'll convocate the first week of June. After that, it depends on who wants to offer me a job. I've decided, parental pressure be damned, that I don't want to get a PhD so it will depend upon what the secondary academic market has available.

While it pains me to expose this in front of so many nice folks in here, I'm only a Jets fan for as long as I live in Winnipeg. When I relocate somewhere else, I'll become a fan of that city's team, just like I was a rabid Canucks fan (and still have the lingerie to prove it) for more than a decade, but switched my loyalties when I landed here. Maybe that makes no sense to some people, but I think you're more grounded if you adopt everything about your new home, rather than feeling like a visitor or outsider.

Somebody has already DM me to say if you think our winters are bad, Edmonton's are far worse, so I suppose I was being short-sighted on more than one level.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I listend but to me it comes across as people not watching the actual game. Friedman talking about how to change it misses the mark because Cole is already excellent defensively by every metric. What does he have to change here grow 3 inches and throw his weight around? How can a coach honestly look at a player who is good off the puck in the eye and say this is what you have to change and then throw Kyle Connor over the boards to defend a lead. To me you lose all credibility.

To me this is nothing more then a coach letting his biases get in the way of informed decision making.

But good on the national media to pick up ok the fact that he's being significantly underutilized.

That's kind of what I was thinking but it's pretty obvious that neither watched the last 2 games. I don't think it's a credibility thing though, I don't think he's necessarily giving the Jets a pass for how they're handling his usage. Friedman was just presenting a reasonable explanation and out for the Jets.

But I don't really know how the Jets can justify it. Like maybe they tell him he needs to start blocking shots to get those minutes later in games but is blocking shots what makes Morgan Barron a better player? Probably not, because why is he blocking shots? Because he doesn't have the puck. Blocking shots doesn't make a player a better defensive hockey player.

I just don't see a measure that they can use to justify his usage that you can't also use to question why the players who are playing ahead of him in those minutes are getting them. It's just too easy to point to Kyle Connor's usage and question why the hell he gets usage in any scenario while protecting a lead while others get stapled to the bench.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's kind of what I was thinking but it's pretty obvious that neither watched the last 2 games. I don't think it's a credibility thing though, I don't think he's necessarily giving the Jets a pass for how they're handling his usage. Friedman was just presenting a reasonable explanation and out for the Jets.

But I don't really know how the Jets can justify it. Like maybe they tell him he needs to start blocking shots to get those minutes later in games but is blocking shots what makes Morgan Barron a better player? Probably not, because why is he blocking shots? Because he doesn't have the puck. Blocking shots doesn't make a player a better defensive hockey player.

I just don't see a measure that they can use to justify his usage that you can't also use to question why the players who are playing ahead of him in those minutes are getting them. It's just too easy to point to Kyle Connor's usage and question why the hell he gets usage in any scenario while protecting a lead while others get stapled to the bench.

Sorry I meant Bones not having credibility not Friedman.

It would be one thing if Cole leaked chances and goals against, but he doesn't. Imo the Jets have the perfect opportunity to develop a true elite two-way player here and they haven't clued in on it yet. In order to do that you need to trust the player in those tough situations to give him reps.

But the Jets have a long history of making their prospects "wait their turn". They did it with Scheifele, Trouba, JoMo etc. I'm sure Cole will get his minutes once they deem he's put in enough time or a longterm injury happens.

None

Feb 22, 2012
It would be one thing if Cole leaked chances and goals against, but he doesn't.

At least no worse than any other forward on the Jets.

But the Jets have a long history of making their prospects "wait their turn". They did it with Scheifele, Trouba, JoMo etc. I'm sure Cole will get his minutes once they deem he's put in enough time or a longterm injury happens.

I think it goes back to how players get labelled. I've said it before that players get a label and can't shake it in the Jets organization. If you get labelled a skill player you're going to either be top 6 or bust, if you get labelled a grinder you're going to be bottom 6 or bust.
I'm being facetious and it obviously isn't quite so binary but Andrew Copp was a prime example. The guy had all the talent to play top 6 (and the boxcar stats to back it up) but always got shoehorned into playing beside Adam Lowry despite being the better center between the two.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
At least no worse than any other forward on the Jets.

I think it goes back to how players get labelled. I've said it before that players get a label and can't shake it in the Jets organization. If you get labelled a skill player you're going to either be top 6 or bust, if you get labelled a grinder you're going to be bottom 6 or bust.
I'm being facetious and it obviously isn't quite so binary but Andrew Copp was a prime example. The guy had all the talent to play top 6 (and the boxcar stats to back it up) but always got shoehorned into playing beside Adam Lowry despite being the better center between the two.

I agree on that as well. The org is too fixated on roles as well. The best teams now have more fluidity in their lineups amd there isn't as clear a distinction between top and bottom 6.

Reactions: None

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Stats are deceiving ... obviously the team that scores more goals will have the better goalie stats majority of the time.
Lets use the Flames game as an example ... the Flames shorthanded goal looked bad but was it really bad or a good or lucky pass (it looked like it hit Connors stick first) and the puck when to Andersson. Also there was a highstick before the goal so it should not have counted.
If you watched the Helly interview on after hours. He mentioned how he plays the game .... "do I take the shooter and have a 100% chance of stopping it or do I play the pass and half a 50% chance of stopping it." That's why some goals look bad and some saves look great.
Also in the Flames game Markstrom did make some great saves but when you are looking the other way and the shooter hits your pads ... I call that lucky.
By the way how are the Flames doing ... I see they used up all their horseshoes against the Jets.
I did enjoy Hellebuyck's shot at poorly positioned goalies having to make acrobatic saves *COUGH* Pavelec *COUGH*

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sorry I meant Bones not having credibility not Friedman.

It would be one thing if Cole leaked chances and goals against, but he doesn't. Imo the Jets have the perfect opportunity to develop a true elite two-way player here and they haven't clued in on it yet. In order to do that you need to trust the player in those tough situations to give him reps.

Or, maybe the Jets are taking their time with him setting him up for success at each turn.

I have no problem with that especially when we're winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad