Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Dead Wings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Natural statrick. NHL.com also has him at zero percent on the night and Cole at 67%

Seems we have a predicament... haha

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Is it poor goaltending?
Maybe its a bad bounce/deflection, bad defense or guessed wrong or a good play/good shot by the opposing player.
Hellebuyck is a top goalie yes he will have a bad game here and there but he will not turn into a bad goalie overnight.
Haha are you being real right now? Just like every other player on a hockey team, goals have good games and bad games, streaks and slumps. Not only him, but Brossoit weren't very good in our first 4 games.

The point wasn't to be critical of Hellebuyck, it was a response that if he wasn't really good in his last 3 games, the results could have been different.

Well, of course! A goaltender has the biggest impact on his teams result in a game. It's the nature of the position.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Conner and Scheifele with Vilardi were a 75% XGF line with 3 gf and 0 against.

Since Vilardi has been injured they are 2 goals for and 3 against while posting an awful 35% XGF%.

Sure these sample sizes are pretty small but throw in all the past years worth of data and it should be pretty darn clear to the coaching staff that you can't count on Mark and Kyle playing big minutes together 5 on 5 unless you have the perfect line mate. They are getting crushed right now.

Perfetti started taking the draws back half of the game because the coaching staff clued in on Namestnikov not being able to win any, which was a good move on their part as Cole went 67% on the dot tonight. Now that he's scoring and confident I'd like to see him gradually moved back into the middle.
I would like to see Coal develop as our 2C as well.
He was taken off that spot too early.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Thought we played a good first half of the game but really got it handed to us the second game. Helle stood tall and we capitalized on our chances tonight. I don't think he we played is a recipe for success. Good thing we haven't had too many games like this.

Pp needs a revamp, it will cost us games at some point with how ineffective it is. The second unit lacks any kind of purpose. Get the puck and shoot as quickly as possible. Both units need a complete reset.

Coaching also needs to figure out their deployment. Our top line is back to extending shifts and getting hemmed as a result. The coaching staff is routinely deploying the second line under 10 minutes per game at ES.
I think the biggest thing I didn't like about last night's game is I saw some of that lack of execution in our zone creep back in.

We weren't really giving the wings a ton off the rush, which is really good considering their team speed and skill. Our gaps were excellent, and the forwards were supporting the D's pinches at both blue lines really well.

The poor execution was decision making when we regained possession in our zone, especially when pk'ing and after being hemmed in. We blindly three the puck up the boards, ringed the puck with no support, and made bad clearing attempts.

That's been our Achilles heel in the past but I haven't seen a tonne of it before last night. The Wings really fed of of it, we handed them a lot of their chances including their only goal.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Right now i like how we are using Perfetti , he's basically still a rookie, let him start in the shallow end instead of just jumping right in the deep end. He will eventually be the 2nd center, i don't see why we should be rushing him in.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Holy agenda... names was 50% on faceoffs and so was perfetti on the two he took haha - one early in the 2nd and one early in the 3rd... bet you names was kicked out of the circle on both...

Scheif and Lowry got torched all game but somehow you single out namestnikov because you want perfetti to magically be 2C

Perfetti will continue to take a few draws a game bur names is our 2C until there's actually a real reason to replace him
Names is definitely the 2c right now but don’t make up stats and expect us to believe them. Names was credited with ZERO won faceoffs last night. His percentage for the game was 0%. Cole on the other hand won 2 of 3 for 66.7%. Very easy to look these numbers up on NHL.com or Natural stat trick. Talk about agemdas

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The speed of the wings caught me off guard on top of that they move the puck quickly. They really have some nice pieces on that team might even make the playoffs, it's a long season and they are in a tough division

Yeah, I liked how they played at times last night. Looks to me like they are trying to emulate the Devils/Tampa of old template.

I'd love to see us incorporate some of that type of offense into our game.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I was watching the wings broadcast, very objective announcers. I actually really enjoyed it.

Yeah they were fun, tho I worried a bit about the wheezy older feller -- at times it felt like someone was gently prodding him from a soft snooze and then he'd sort of jolt upright and back into action.

Strong road game. Points gained. No apparent injuries, and stats-wizard and ace playmaker Perfetti should be nicely rested for the next one.

And, we were entertained.

Whoosh. Thought Papa H was gonna cuff his Wings-stuffing kid a few good ones there. Good thing they had cameras on 'im.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Well you haven’t yet spelled Connor right after 10 years so there is that 🤣

To be fair, it's a homonym of "Conn-oar," "Conn-err" and "Conn-aahr"

I think this Jets team is the the poster child for score effects. They're best when they're pressing, though they did a nice job of keeping things to the outside for the most part last night.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Except Perfetti's numbers says he's the 2nd best forward on the team at preventing chances. Vilardi is first.

Yep he has been very strong defensively, both by stats and the eyetest. Again, playing like a centre while no longer playing centre.

First line has always needed a Villardi-type player. Looking forward to see him back up there.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To be fair, it's a homonym of "Conn-oar," "Conn-err" and "Conn-aahr"

I think this Jets team is the the poster child for score effects. They're best when they're pressing, though they did a nice job of keeping things to the outside for the most part last night.

Good point about score effects. I'd like to see them modify how they play with the lead in the third. As you said we are at our best when we press, we aren't as good when we go into more of a defensive shell.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I was honestly in and out of sleep for much of the game other than the first ten minutes but nice to see them win. Happy Ehlers got off the schneid as well.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Right now i like how we are using Perfetti , he's basically still a rookie, let him start in the shallow end instead of just jumping right in the deep end. He will eventually be the 2nd center, i don't see why we should be rushing him in.

I don't think benching a player who's playing good defensively for players who are playing worse defensively to "hold a lead" sends a good message to him.

The C thing is dumb, but at least I can see the idea of giving him an easier time. But again, they don't trust him at C, they don't trust him to defend. You want to earn the trust? Be better defensively! Oh, you are already playing very well defensively? Huh, sucks for you.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
If you are going to dispute my facts please research beforehand as this information is readily available. Namestnikov was 0 and 5 on the dot last night where Perfetti was 2 and 1.

Namestnikov has a team worst 35% winning record on faceoffs and unlike Perfetti doesn't have the excuse of being a young player just learning the craft. If we are going to suffer through that low a faceoff% I'd rather it be by a kid who has the ability to grow that aspect of his game.

I'm not sure what either Mark or Adam have to do with this conversation as both have been better on the dot than Namestnikov this year and neither plays on the same line as Cole. I know you like the guy but he's not the long term answer at 2C and the org is going to have to eventually put Cole back in that spot.
More to being a 2c then face-off %. Eventually Cole will be the 2c. Until then let him grow his game. He is still very young

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think benching a player who's playing good defensively for players who are playing worse defensively to "hold a lead" sends a good message to him.

The C thing is dumb, but at least I can see the idea of giving him an easier time. But again, they don't trust him at C, they don't trust him to defend. You want to earn the trust? Be better defensively! Oh, you are already playing very well defensively? Huh, sucks for you.

Yeah, I sometimes struggle to understand the decision making process of coaching staffs. It's almost like some of them still have this right of passage mantra for younger players where it doesn't matter how well your playing you still have to put in your time toiling with lower ice time while the more senior players get first, second and third crack. It doesn't matter how poorly they are playing.

It's not just Cole that went through this, we also saw it with Ehlers and JoMo when breaking into the league. We are also seeing it with Snerg this year. He's dead last in terms of 5 on 5 and total ice time per game on defense and he's clearly better then a number of players getting more minutes.

More to being a 2c then face-off %. Eventually Cole will be the 2c. Until then let him grow his game. He is still very young

True, which is why I indicated I wanted him slowly integrated back to center. By that I meant slowly increasing his center responsibilities. Start by having him take offensive and nz faceoffs and having him play the center role in those zones. Still have Name take the d responsibilities for a while.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Travel, work, kids sports…..sounds like I am missing the Helle show.

GJG

Reactions: Jets 31

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Taking my mid-morning break to enjoy some commentary in here, expecting all sorts of praise for Hellebuyck, and instead find mostly grumbling and arguments about players and statistics and stuff. I really don't understand you guys some times. (Okay, classic understatement.) Reading all this, you'd have thought we lost.

I loved the game last night and thought Bucky was fantastic. At one point in the second, it said we'd been outshot 17-4 and he still kept us in the game. After all the complaints for the first few games, I'd have thought you'd be rejoicing.

I'm working Saturday night and won't see the game, but I'm hoping we get another victory. And perhaps this place will be rocking on four wins in a row rather than who should be 2C and why these stats prove this or that or who gets stuck with the wrong wingman.

I hit myself in the face with a snowbrush this morning and I'm still in a better mood than most of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad