Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Blues 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
On the Blues, lots of fans around the league seem to think they're a good team. I don't understand what they're seeing. They're a big, slow, old mess right now.

That Cup reputation can take you far I guess.
they had a few good years after the cup. top-10 in pts % from 19-22 at .636 (104/82gp).

they had solid depth within their fwd group as evidenced by being 6th in GF during that timeframe, however id say no truly elite offensive fwds that can seemingly takeover a game. closest thing was tarasenko but age and injuries inhibited his effectiveness toward the end of his Blues life and evidently missed a lot of time. and of course they don't have one of the big-5 goalies that are consistently great season after season (helle, sorokin, vas, saros, shesterkin and maybe start throwing oettinger there soon).

teams go through peaks and valleys. armstrong usually has this team pretty competitive, and if they're bad - it's not for long. will say i have a bit of a soft spot for the blues given they were detroit's punching bag in the old West days lol.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My observations from the game

Got tickets to the game for the lower bowl for 70 bucks each
The Blues came to play the 1-3-1 with a passion wrapped up in a hail Mary play every so often
The Jets pressed all 4 lines early
Loved Iaffalo on the 1st line. Gives them a real dog on the puck down low. They had some chances
Scheif was good defensively for the most part. Yes Connor is a muffin on the backcheck but he scores
Liked Perfetti on the wing. Really effective and smart. Great pass on the goal. Extremely good at going to where the puck is going to be. Names is solid smart player has skill to play in that top six role. Ehlers is just a dumpster fire right now. Saw him fire a shot on the PP from close range so wide and high and then look on his face after was awful. I don't know if he is till hurt or something but he is just killing any momentum that 2nd line is getting
3rd line was solid. Lowry huge hit early and the Blues were very aware after when he was on the ice. Nice goal by Appleton.
4th line was really good. Just nice to have a 4th line that has all the tools you like speed,size and versatility. Really good game from them
The D was so so. They don't seem on the same wave length yet. Morrissey was solid despite that bad pass he made. Schmidt to me was the worst D last night. Maybe he just struggles on his off hand now. Thought we made some bad decisions that lead to break aways/2 on 1s that could have killed us if they had some finish
Helly just another solid game and he looks back in Vezina form. His demise was mucho exaggerated

Got killed in the dot and I can't think of any faceoffs in on the PK we won. Some we were losing so clean. Not sure what is going on there but we need to get that under control.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
On a side note, how nice is it to have guys like Lowry and Helley on our team? Good people that interview well. The feedback from Helleys interview compared to a team like Edmonton, a team of misfit assholes, is nice. Kane, a likely criminal, Drai, a total asshole, and mcdavid, a whiney prick, are all terrible people to have to cheer for. Meanwhile you have guy like Helley whos apparently incredibly intelligent, well spoken and kind. Its nice not to have to cheer for raging hard ons.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As I mentioned in my post game thoughts all Conner needs is one good look to break a game open. He is what he is, a poor defensive player and mediocre nz one. But he is very dangerous in the ozone and the teams beat natural finisher. There is a reason goal scorers get paid.

It's starting to look like Vilardi masked a alot of defensive warts on that line. They have not been near as effective without him. Almost all their offensive damage has been done in non 5 on 5 situations since he went down. Iafallo is a good player but he hasn't been able to bring what Vilardi did.

I'd like to see Conner and Perfetti tried together at some point later this year. Perhaps once Cole is moved back and gets comfortable at center.

I'm still struggling to see how Ehlers fits with this team long term. He just doesn't mesh with how this team wants to play. If we could move him for an equivalent effective winger who better matches the play style I'd be looking at it.

That's my guess as well. They were likely banking on Ehlers to be able to drive the offense on that line while Cole got comfortable. Given Ehlers awful start they likely had to switch gears. It's now Perfetti who is driving all that lines offense atm. Nik really needs to get his game going. One wonders if he's not 100% yet.

Jeesus! Some people sour on a player in a hurry!

It is 6 games into the season. Ehlers is coming off of sports hernia surgery. He has new linemates and an inexperienced C. Just take a deep breath and have a little patience. The guy has been our best F per TOI for years and is being written off 6 games in. Unbelievable!

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
On a side note, how nice is it to have guys like Lowry and Helley on our team? Good people that interview well. The feedback from Helleys interview compared to a team like Edmonton, a team of misfit assholes, is nice. Kane, a likely criminal, Drai, a total asshole, and mcdavid, a whiney prick, are all terrible people to have to cheer for. Meanwhile you have guy like Helley whos apparently incredibly intelligent, well spoken and kind. Its nice not to have to cheer for raging hard ons.
Add
I’d add JoMo to that list of well spoken guys as well. Ehlers is pretty honest and well spoken in his interviews also.

Overall does not seem like we are a team of asshats!

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
But it’s not really true. I saw him back check multiple times last night. He also forechecks and steals the puck in nz often. He is just useless in his own end.
That's what I meant. I've consistently held the position that KC is bad (and terribad 2 games ago) in his own end, and most specifically his positioning (on and off of the puck). I'm not really agreeing that he's useless outside of scoring (goals/assists), but I'm not going to die on a hill saying that KC is a small details guy either.

Maybe I misunderstood a recent post of yours, but I thought you were right in talking about how KC's speed causes a problem vs the opposition; that the other team has to be aware of where Kyle Connor is at all times (or enough of the time). In other words, he and the team, can cheat a little bit here and there with him being out there.

Where you and I differ, is that I also think Ehlers is also bad in his own end. I don't think he's particularly "responsible" in his own end. So a number of other posters who will point out how bad KC is in his own end, seem to conveniently never highlight Ehlers in that regard as well.

I don't think KC backchecks any less than Ehlers does. I'd also like for someone to set a clear parameter on what "physical" means, as the word has been attributed to Ehlers so frequently; or haphazardly.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,

It is 6 games into the season. Ehlers is coming off of sports hernia surgery. He has new linemates and an inexperienced C. Just take a deep breath and have a little patience. The guy has been our best F per TOI for years and is being written off 6 games in. Unbelievable!
100% this…if after 20 games we are still looking for something from Nikolaj, there may be an issue.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That's what I meant. I've consistently held the position that KC is bad (and terribad 2 games ago) in his own end, and most specifically his positioning (on and off of the puck). I'm not really agreeing that he's useless outside of scoring (goals/assists), but I'm not going to die on a hill saying that KC is a small details guy either.

Maybe I misunderstood a recent post of yours, but I thought you were right in talking about how KC's speed causes a problem vs the opposition; that the other team has to be aware of where Kyle Connor is at all times (or enough of the time). In other words, he and the team, can cheat a little bit here and there with him being out there.

Where you and I differ, is that I also think Ehlers is also bad in his own end. I don't think he's particularly "responsible" in his own end. So a number of other posters who will point out how bad KC is in his own end, seem to conveniently never highlight Ehlers in that regard as well.

I don't think KC backchecks any less than Ehlers does. I'd also like for someone to set a clear parameter on what "physical" means, as the word has been attributed to Ehlers so frequently; or haphazardly.
We don’t differ at all on that. I think Ehlers is better once puck gets in own zone and zone exits. But agree on rest.

Which is the excuses people make for Ehlers but won’t extend to any other players.
Berg is 6 games in and people are saying he is saying he is having a sophomore slump. He has played with Nino and Perfetti last year, and perfetti has been the best player on the line.
We don’t know what other players are playing through, yet they are fair game.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

who cares what he did in the past. no one is talking about yesteryears. how has he been so far this season? he may be better as the season progresses (v likely will be), however thus far he's been the weakest top6 fwd.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
they had a few good years after the cup. top-10 in pts % from 19-22 at .636 (104/82gp).

they had solid depth within their fwd group as evidenced by being 6th in GF during that timeframe, however id say no truly elite offensive fwds that can seemingly takeover a game. closest thing was tarasenko but age and injuries inhibited his effectiveness toward the end of his Blues life and evidently missed a lot of time. and of course they don't have one of the big-5 goalies that are consistently great season after season (helle, sorokin, vas, saros, shesterkin and maybe start throwing oettinger there soon).

teams go through peaks and valleys. armstrong usually has this team pretty competitive, and if they're bad - it's not for long. will say i have a bit of a soft spot for the blues given they were detroit's punching bag in the old West days lol.

Yeah they were decent after 2019.

I understand the peaks and valleys nature of their team, but I think last year and especially this year, people are overrating them. Thin up front, Hayes doesn't help and they don't have a Tarasenko type right now. Thomas and Kyrou are very underrated I think but they can't do it alone. They're even struggling to replace Barbashev. Also Parayko, Krug and especially Scandella are on the downside of their careers and they're inconsistent in goal.

I share your empathy with them though, when I was a kid Jon Casey was my favourite goalie before Brodeur posters tool over my wall, and seeing that famous Yzerman OT shot go over Casey's shoulder always makes me wince a bit haha.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

This isn't about his slow start. I've been thinking this for a while now. Look at the players the org has brought in and the direction they are heading in. They favor players that generally play a N/S cycle/rotation game in the ozone. Ehlers thrives with chaos and playing off structure. Nothing wrong with that but given what the org seems to want and reward I don't see a long term fit here. I'm sure he will get going at some point and start producing. That wasn't what my post was about. He's only under contract for one more year after this one and I don't think theborg values him enough to pay him what he will want to stay.

They will almost assuredly prioritize Vilardi, Perfetti and Conner on their salary projections.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Gotta admit. I was kind of worried about the season getting away from us when we were 1 and 3, and down 2 goals in Edmonton. Pulling that game out with the W and taking the Blues at home has calmed my nerves for the time being. It's early in the year but man, you don't want to get too far behind early in the campaign.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

KC's defense is easily the most overblown, over talked about topic on this board. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: Dale53130
Nov 24, 2006
Gotta admit. I was kind of worried about the season getting away from us when we were 1 and 3, and down 2 goals in Edmonton. Pulling that game out with the W and taking the Blues at home has calmed my nerves for the time being. It's early in the year but man, you don't want to get too far behind early in the campaign.
Agreed. The angst over at HF Oilers must be crazy right now.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
What's with people these days?
Short memories?
What's with the attacks on Ehlers?
Did Ehlers lose the game for the Jets last night?
It's not only Jet fans ... its sports fans and sportswriters too.
I read this morning Ovi will never score again and won't break Gretzky's record ... lol he had 14 shots yesterday and scored his 1st goal. Tage Thompson was a one hit wonder scoring 47 goals last year because he only has 3 goals in 7 games this year.:huh:
Seriously these people will look like fools later in the season.
I can see if the Jets lost and you are upset but they WON!
Watch the Saturday night Helly interview and always remember negativity breeds negativity.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah they were decent after 2019.

I understand the peaks and valleys nature of their team, but I think last year and especially this year, people are overrating them. Thin up front, Hayes doesn't help and they don't have a Tarasenko type right now. Thomas and Kyrou are very underrated I think but they can't do it alone. They're even struggling to replace Barbashev. Also Parayko, Krug and especially Scandella are on the downside of their careers and they're inconsistent in goal.

I share your empathy with them though, when I was a kid Jon Casey was my favourite goalie before Brodeur posters tool over my wall, and seeing that famous Yzerman OT shot go over Casey's shoulder always makes me wince a bit haha.
id say a 0.636 is more than just decent. we've had 1 season like that since 2011. they've had 6, w/ 2 since their cup. maybe the main board is overrating them, not sure, don't follow them.

however, if you do look at our 23-24 Central Division thread seems like they're comfortably behind us, around 5th or 6th ahead of CHI or ARZ and flip-flopping w/ NSH. some of the more popular stats/predictions based twitter accounts like Jfresh had us +24 pts on them, Athletic had us +16. i think non-bias views has them similar placing to last year.

& yeah, them, NSH and CBJ i have a bit of a soft spot for b/c of the old Central Division. but f*** the Blackhawks :laugh:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What's with people these days?
Short memories?
What's with the attacks on Ehlers?
Did Ehlers lose the game for the Jets last night?
It's not only Jet fans ... its sports fans and sportswriters too.
I read this morning Ovi will never score again and won't break Gretzky's record ... lol he had 14 shots yesterday and scored his 1st goal. Tage Thompson was a one hit wonder scoring 47 goals last year because he only has 3 goals in 7 games this year.:huh:
Seriously these people will look like fools later in the season.
I can see if the Jets lost and you are upset but they WON!
Watch the Saturday night Helly interview and always remember negativity breeds negativity.
All the players get attacked only with Ehlers ppl come to the rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad