Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Blues 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But it’s not really true. I saw him back check multiple times last night. He also forechecks and steals the puck in nz often. He is just useless in his own end.

That’s more than I’ve seen from Ehlers lately as he hasn’t been noticeable in either end.

Why even mention Ehlers when we are talking about Connor? Why do you insist on making it a competition between them? You have been doing that for years. Do you somehow think that we can have only 1 of them?

If you must do that pick a longer time span than 6 games.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Which is the excuses people make for Ehlers but won’t extend to any other players.
Berg is 6 games in and people are saying he is saying he is having a sophomore slump. He has played with Nino and Perfetti last year, and perfetti has been the best player on the line.
We don’t know what other players are playing through, yet they are fair game.

You aren't hearing me say Berg is having a sophomore slump. You haven't seen me criticize any player unless it is for continuing to play as badly as he has for quite some time.

But, since you bring it up, which other players are coming off of sports hernia surgery? I will extend the same excuse to all of them.

All I'm saying is have a little patience with a player who has been great for us for the last 8 years - regardless of any excuses he may or may not have.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
On the Blues, lots of fans around the league seem to think they're a good team. I don't understand what they're seeing. They're a big, slow, old mess right now.

That Cup reputation can take you far I guess.
They’re hardly even that team anymore. Which core players do they still have from that team? Parayko is a slow shell of what he was, Binnington is a hot-headed meh goalie who isn’t the same guy who went on that crazy-run, Schenn is a good player but is not a superstar and is missing the depth that previously surrounded him … Thomas is a great player … also they brought in Krug I guess but most Blues fans seem to dislike him

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
who cares what he did in the past. no one is talking about yesteryears. how has he been so far this season? he may be better as the season progresses (v likely will be), however thus far he's been the weakest top6 fwd.

I don't disagree that he hasn't done much this year so far. But people are starting to talk crazy, like he can't fit in, like trade him before his value drops further, etc. So far this season still = just 6 games. If he is still struggling in another 15-20 games, I will be concerned.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This isn't about his slow start. I've been thinking this for a while now. Look at the players the org has brought in and the direction they are heading in. They favor players that generally play a N/S cycle/rotation game in the ozone. Ehlers thrives with chaos and playing off structure. Nothing wrong with that but given what the org seems to want and reward I don't see a long term fit here. I'm sure he will get going at some point and start producing. That wasn't what my post was about. He's only under contract for one more year after this one and I don't think theborg values him enough to pay him what he will want to stay.

They will almost assuredly prioritize Vilardi, Perfetti and Conner on their salary projections.

Well then, you were talking 2 separate points about the same player in 1 post.

If the org can't figure out a way to better utilize a player with that much talent, they need to look in the mirror for the problem - and the solution.

If they can't use the talents of the players they have then they are going to have a similar problem with Perfetti. He also thrives off of doing the unexpected which frequently surprises his teammates as much as it does the opposition.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well then, you were talking 2 separate points about the same player in 1 post.

If the org can't figure out a way to better utilize a player with that much talent, they need to look in the mirror for the problem - and the solution.

If they can't use the talents of the players they have then they are going to have a similar problem with Perfetti. He also thrives off of doing the unexpected which frequently surprises his teammates as much as it does the opposition.

Sure the org needs to do a better job at deploying it's talent. I've been saying that for years. I see more similarities with Mark and Conner in the ozone then i ldo with Ehlers in terms of style of play for Cole. There are more similarities between Cole and Nik in terms of zone exits and entries though.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
4 out of 5 John McLeans!

1698259197092.gif
1698259197092.gif
1698259197092.gif
1698259197092.gif
Who knew Slow Gus had a shot like that! And Apples? Am I in the twilight zone?

Onwards and Upwards

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You aren't hearing me say Berg is having a sophomore slump. You haven't seen me criticize any player unless it is for continuing to play as badly as he has for quite some time.

But, since you bring it up, which other players are coming off of sports hernia surgery? I will extend the same excuse to all of them.

All I'm saying is have a little patience with a player who has been great for us for the last 8 years - regardless of any excuses he may or may not have.
No but @surixon calls them both out and people jump to Ehlers aid. No love for any of the other players.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't disagree that he hasn't done much this year so far. But people are starting to talk crazy, like he can't fit in, like trade him before his value drops further, etc. So far this season still = just 6 games. If he is still struggling in another 15-20 games, I will be concerned.

oh yeah the trading him just b/c of a poor 6 games is dumb. i don't really see what could be available that would make this team better off. not to mention trades can be difficult w/ the cap and his salary.

the fit in point.... idk i think there's many players of similar play-style with the high-octane or high rush offense lead to team success. this team itself was great w/ him as well in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Puck dropped at about ~7:52

That's what I figured. Count me as NOT a fan of this unless the start times are actual start times. Every teams pre game stuff differs in duration. No reason they cant start the pregame stuff at 7:38pm for a 7:45 game,. This defeats the purpose. I hate it.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Looks like the Jets with be in the 11-12k attendance bracket this year with the original six filling the building when they come in. Now going on a really hot streak and creating a buzz could bump that count up but consistent sell outs aren't happening this year.
I think when football is done maybe it'll pick up and also team plays well. I think average fan thinks "omg we got rid of Wheeler" and "omg we got rid of dubois for nothing!".

I'm a bit of a homer but I think this may be our best team in years.

Reactions: GNP and thereturn

None

Feb 22, 2012
That's what I figured. Count me as NOT a fan of this unless the start times are actual start times. Every teams pre game stuff differs in duration. No reason they cant start the pregame stuff at 7:38pm for a 7:45 game,. This defeats the purpose. I hate it.

Yeah, I think the consensus I've seen about it is that it should've been a weekend and should've started earlier in the day. They probably also need to restrict pregame ceremonies on the day they do it as you said.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wasn't really trying to call Snerg out for poor play. I think he's been fine. I juat think he showed a higher level of play at times last year.
Your post is me just pointing to how some people jump to players defence when they are not playing their best, and some are just “fair game”

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think when football is done maybe it'll pick up and also team plays well. I think average fan thinks "omg we got rid of Wheeler" and "omg we got rid of dubois for nothing!".

I'm a bit of a homer but I think this may be our best team in years.

Imo it has to do with how things ended last year. I think if this team starts to consistiently play well and win you will see an uptick in attendance. Let's remember the playoffs and street parties sold out last year. Fans will turn out if we are winning.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Totally agree. I do not want to hear The Star Spangled Banner, O Canada or that Canada Life Center is located on Treaty one land. I want to tune in at 7:45 (or whatever game time is) and see the puck being dropped. The NFL does it right. Tune in at 12:00 and there is the kick off.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I was there and actually checked the time at puck drop and it was 7:54 PM.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
The purpose is to draw attention to the fact that all 32 teams are playing on the same evening and to get people to talk about it instead of the NFL.

Seems to me that the purpose wasn't defeated. But agreed, I don't like it much.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The purpose is to draw attention to the fact that all 32 teams are playing on the same evening and to get people to talk about it instead of the NFL.

Seems to me that the purpose wasn't defeated. But agreed, I don't like it much.
I'm still not really sure what the whole idea is about. If I'm watching a Jets game I very rarely switch to another game at intermission unless it is in the last couple weeks of the season and I'm doing some scoreboard watching or during the playoffs. How many people actually stagger watch multiple games?

Reactions: Jets 31 and surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad