Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Blues 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Eventually Perfetti should become a centre but for now I really like him on the wing.
Strange that the coach may have known what he was doing?

Of course let's see if they put him back there for another try.

Right now Ehlers is really struggling so it's important that perfetti and Namestnikov are comfortable and they look like they are in the current configuration.

Id be tempted to try Kupari with 91 and 27 at C for a game

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Also interested how maligned Connor is around here, but, no one says anything bout Ehlers who is supposed to be our 2nd winger not putting up points or creating offence.
Yup. Connor has his warts but he knows how to create offense and is a one shot scorer - so valuable. Plus knock on wood he's durable.

I do think they are going to have to separate 81 and 55 for playoffs though I want to see a run of games with them and Vilardi to see if he helps their defensive metrics enough

Looks like the Jets with be in the 11-12k attendance bracket this year with the original six filling the building when they come in. Now going on a really hot streak and creating a buzz could bump that count up but consistent sell outs aren't happening this year.
There's enough corporate presence in Winnipeg to fix that, time for TN sales team to get to work.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Right now Ehlers is really struggling so it's important that perfetti and Namestnikov are comfortable and they look like they are in the current configuration.

Id be tempted to try Kupari with 91 and 27 at C for a game

I think his game was trending this way before being moved to wing. But Ehlers dud of a start is likely a bigger factor in all this. Had he started well my guess is Cole would still be at center. It seems the coaches felt it was too tall an order for him to drive the line both offensively and defensively from the middle. He does need to be moved back at some point but he probably needs his wingers to be playing better first.

He still is getting too few minutes imo. I'd probably swap him and fly on the top pp unit given Ehlers poor play.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
since being moved to Wing i've found Perfetti much more assertive offensively, he had a real good game tonight. Namestnikov is doing some of the little things to keep that line away from the Dzone and playing offensively (believe he is the top Jet in exiting the Dzone w/o turnovers) as well as maintaining possession in the Ozone. 2nd line was great again. i know KC scored that goal but which you love to see ofc but found him pretty quiet offensively, and ehlers i guess is celebrating halloween a couple weeks early and dressing up as a ghost.

how many posts were you expecting from 10AM-5AM on a Tues night? the last 2 Post-GDTs which were wins had 200+ posts
It wouldn't surprise me if the coaching staff told Perfetti when he moved to centre to focus on getting his defensive reads nailed down, even at the expense of offense... then once it's second nature, the points will come

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

weird bc a few on hf think they're certified nhl coaches who know better just bc they have 10s of thousands posts online

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yup. Connor has his warts but he knows how to create offense and is a one shot scorer - so valuable. Plus knock on wood he's durable.

I do think they are going to have to separate 81 and 55 for playoffs though I want to see a run of games with them and Vilardi to see if he helps their defensive metrics enough

There's enough corporate presence in Winnipeg to fix that, time for TN sales team to get to work.

As I mentioned in my post game thoughts all Conner needs is one good look to break a game open. He is what he is, a poor defensive player and mediocre nz one. But he is very dangerous in the ozone and the teams beat natural finisher. There is a reason goal scorers get paid.

It's starting to look like Vilardi masked a alot of defensive warts on that line. They have not been near as effective without him. Almost all their offensive damage has been done in non 5 on 5 situations since he went down. Iafallo is a good player but he hasn't been able to bring what Vilardi did.

I'd like to see Conner and Perfetti tried together at some point later this year. Perhaps once Cole is moved back and gets comfortable at center.

I'm still struggling to see how Ehlers fits with this team long term. He just doesn't mesh with how this team wants to play. If we could move him for an equivalent effective winger who better matches the play style I'd be looking at it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the coaching staff told Perfetti when he moved to centre to focus on getting his defensive reads nailed down, even at the expense of offense... then once it's second nature, the points will come

That's my guess as well. They were likely banking on Ehlers to be able to drive the offense on that line while Cole got comfortable. Given Ehlers awful start they likely had to switch gears. It's now Perfetti who is driving all that lines offense atm. Nik really needs to get his game going. One wonders if he's not 100% yet.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think his game was trending this way before being moved to wing. But Ehlers dud of a start is likely a bigger factor in all this. Had he started well my guess is Cole would still be at center. It seems the coaches felt it was too tall an order for him to drive the line both offensively and defensively from the middle. He does need to be moved back at some point but he probably needs his wingers to be playing better first.

He still is getting too few minutes imo. I'd probably swap him and fly on the top pp unit given Ehlers poor play.
I wouldn't swap them. I've really liked the teams commitment to split pp evenly between the two units. Hell, last night pp1 changed after 45 seconds!

If you flip 27 and 91 now you have no one to qb pp2 so getting set up will be difficult. Also there are to many guys on pp1 who like the puck in their hands so he'd be kind of wasted.

Maybe you move 27 to pp2 for zone entries and a shooting option, as 55 and 81 like to carry the mail on zone entries. How about:

Pp1
81 - 55 - 9
44 - 7

Defensively responsible forward up top, 2 shooters, a puck retriever and our best ppqb Morrissey

Pp2
27 - 91 - 15
4 - 54

Shooter ands zone entries from 27, 91 to qb and pick apart seams, 15 to the net and Samberg to get that big shot through. Pionk has been playing well this year and is fairly dynamic offensively

Then when Vilardi comes back he takes Namestnikov spot and 9 rotates up to the top

Reactions: JetsUK

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wouldn't swap them. I've really liked the teams commitment to split pp evenly between the two units. Hell, last night pp1 changed after 45 seconds!

If you flip 27 and 91 now you have no one to qb pp2 so getting set up will be difficult. Also there are to many guys on pp1 who like the puck in their hands so he'd be kind of wasted.

Maybe you move 27 to pp2 for zone entries and a shooting option, as 55 and 81 like to carry the mail on zone entries. How about:

Pp1
81 - 55 - 9
44 - 7

Defensively responsible forward up top, 2 shooters, a puck retriever and our best ppqb Morrissey

Pp2
27 - 91 - 15
4 - 54

Shooter ands zone entries from 27, 91 to qb and pick apart seams, 15 to the net and Samberg to get that big shot through. Pionk has been playing well this year and is fairly dynamic offensively

Then when Vilardi comes back he takes Namestnikov spot and 9 rotates up to the top

True they swapped out quickly but were back on for the last 40 seconds of that PP, but yes PP2 is seeing more minutes so far. My biggest issue is they aren't seemingly letting Cole QB PP2. He's spent a lot of time in the bumper spot while Namestnikov is getting more of the puck on the HB. So my thoughts are if you aren't going to let him QB might as well put him on the more talented unit where he can link up better. Also PP2 seems to be functioning more as a puck to the point for a shot through a double layer screen. Not necessarily the set up a grade A playmaker is necessary for. Ehlers and his penchant for shooting a lot may fit that scheme better.

But I don't mind your ideas either, lots of options.

Reactions: Jet

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I really liked how the Jets applied pressure with their speed.

Hellebuyck came up with some crucial saves when needed.

Glad to see they won it for Bones!

2945368b68b4c96988f4ce194e04390de72ed2ae.gifv

Reactions: Jets 31 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
While a lot is going well to date there are areas of improvement needed:

Both special teams units and the teams play defending a lead against a team with the goalie pulled are areas were they need to tweak some things.

There are some individual players who are still not playing to their capabilities, namely Ehlers, Nino, and Schmidt. I'd also say Snerg is having a bit of a sophomore slump to start his season.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Also interested how maligned Connor is around here, but, no one says anything bout Ehlers who is supposed to be our 2nd winger not putting up points or creating offence.

He's been maligned in every GDT, PGT and generally since the season began.

Basically, unless you're the guy whose name no one can remember playing so deep on the depth chart that showing up dressed for a game is considered to be a contribution, you're maligned.

Except maybe Barron. He is rarely maligned.

Reactions: surixon

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Never plays defense is true.

My ex-STH buddy used to stand up and cheer sarcastically whenever KCF crossed the blueline -- then wish he hadn't. It's like he needs a passport to cross into the D zone.

Fine, dull game. Tea, still seems a bit off the pace of the first few games but maybe that changes once Gabe returns. Thought the 4th and 3rd played well and the 2nd also for the most part -- and Cole had a helluva game. Watching him fight off bigger players, often in multiples, while regularly winning pucks and making things happen shift in and out should warm the hearts of even the most fervent He's-Too-Smallers.

He needs to defer a bit less, and play more with Gus, obvs.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
6 games in the team is competitive, playing with more speed and better defending, LA players are fitting in, Helle is getting his groove back sure a couple of players are not up to speed but they will eventually find their way. Lots to like early in the season.
Yeah, thankfully it's starting to look like the type of game played vs LAK is going to be the exception rather than the rule.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
So KFC can't defend worth squat have you seen Mathews or McDavid defend. Now I'm not putting him in their category but 40-45 goals is nothing to sneeze at and who knows maybe some day he will remember what to do in the Jets zone.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
As I mentioned in my post game thoughts all Conner needs is one good look to break a game open. He is what he is, a poor defensive player and mediocre nz one. But he is very dangerous in the ozone and the teams beat natural finisher. There is a reason goal scorers get paid.

It's starting to look like Vilardi masked a alot of defensive warts on that line. They have not been near as effective without him. Almost all their offensive damage has been done in non 5 on 5 situations since he went down. Iafallo is a good player but he hasn't been able to bring what Vilardi did.

I'd like to see Conner and Perfetti tried together at some point later this year. Perhaps once Cole is moved back and gets comfortable at center.

I'm still struggling to see how Ehlers fits with this team long term. He just doesn't mesh with how this team wants to play. If we could move him for an equivalent effective winger who better matches the play style I'd be looking at it.

That's my guess as well. They were likely banking on Ehlers to be able to drive the offense on that line while Cole got comfortable. Given Ehlers awful start they likely had to switch gears. It's now Perfetti who is driving all that lines offense atm. Nik really needs to get his game going. One wonders if he's not 100% yet.
Also kc’s 7 mil really isn’t that much when you look at guys with similar goal totals around the league.
He's been maligned in every GDT, PGT and generally since the season began.

Basically, unless you're the guy whose name no one can remember playing so deep on the depth chart that showing up dressed for a game is considered to be a contribution, you're maligned.

Except maybe Barron. He is rarely maligned.
Morrissey gets a pass as does Dillion most games. That’s because Ehlers has been invisible this season, but, generally gets more of a passs as people will point out he missed tc so is just Rusty.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
True they swapped out quickly but were back on for the last 40 seconds of that PP, but yes PP2 is seeing more minutes so far. My biggest issue is they aren't seemingly letting Cole QB PP2. He's spent a lot of time in the bumper spot while Namestnikov is getting more of the puck on the HB. So my thoughts are if you aren't going to let him QB might as well put him on the more talented unit where he can link up better. Also PP2 seems to be functioning more as a puck to the point for a shot through a double layer screen. Not necessarily the set up a grade A playmaker is necessary for. Ehlers and his penchant for shooting a lot may fit that scheme better.

But I don't mind your ideas either, lots of options.

I am looking forward to a day when we see Cole and Ville tearing it up on the same PP, as we saw preseason and in the A.

I wonder if there's been a deliberate attempt to prioritize zone entries given how crap we have historically been at that. 55 can be effective there, and while we haven't seen much of his shot, Kupari looks like a legit zone entry monster already and has the skill to hold onto or distribute the puck. Maybe we start seeing more flexible configs going forward, now that some of the seniority has moved on.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So KFC can't defend worth squat have you seen Mathews or McDavid defend. Now I'm not putting him in their category but 40-45 goals is nothing to sneeze at and who knows maybe some day he will remember what to do in the Jets zone.
i think most of the high point producing fwds may be up and down in defense through their career. the perennial great defensive fwds with great point totals are few and far between. like how many high producing top-6ers can you say are consistently great defensively for seasons on end?

net offense: Matthews last 3 is a +66 at 5v5, Mcdavid +34, KC -2 - and that's with helle backstopping most of that. (ofc team game, and scheifele hasn't been great defensively either who he's often with).

KC is 19th in scoring from 2021-this year. the average 5v5 goal-differential of the top-20 scorers is +37 with a low of -2 and a high of +94

is KC defense an effort or skill thing? i think a lot of defense is effort based. some of the opportunities he has to make a play he is so soft on. if he can get to average that's good enough imo esp. as a winger

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
On the Blues, lots of fans around the league seem to think they're a good team. I don't understand what they're seeing. They're a big, slow, old mess right now.

That Cup reputation can take you far I guess.

There defense is really bad. They have a couple good rush forwards that can keep then in games but imo they aren't a playoff team.

Reactions: thereturn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad