Salary Cap: Jets 2019: roster and cap situation

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If you don't know what to say, maybe start by finding us some comparables that make $6-7M. Tell us what they did to get it and what Trouba has done to deserve it.
Dougie Hamilton at $5.75M x 6 coming off his ELC. He'd shown some more offense but he got more PP time in the year before he signed that deal. And Calgary was only buying 2 years of UFA at that point. Jets will presumably be buying more UFA years on a long term Trouba deal. Trouba arguably has taken a discount with his bridge deal of $3M/year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What comparables are people using to give Trouba more than $7M+? Its not happening. He will be lucky to get something that starts with a 6 imo. There are a lot of 22 year old defensemen whose resume's are as good or better and make in the 5-6 range (Jones, Linholm, Slavin, Rielly).

I would offer Trouba $5.5 x 6 years and Morrissey $5.5M x 8 years. If Trouba says 'no', bridge him and then trade him this summer or next.

Hellebuyck will be a tricky one. I don't want to pay him anything more than $5.5M.

Wheeler is probably going to take something like a $7.5M x 4 years or $7M x 5 years. The tough part about Wheeler is that we would have $15-16M tied up in #1 RWers. Does that make any sense or do you just defer to your franchise 19 year old unless Wheeler takes a team friendly deal. Tough spot, because he's our captain and a damn great one.

Laine will get $8-9M.

Little is going to have to start training like Wheeler and Scheifele in the summers if we have any hope of him living up to his contract. It looked a lot better of a deal in September than it does now. Little and Myers are the expendable ones at this point.

The problem is that all of those dmen signed out of their ELC and aren't direct comps for his next deal. Unfortunately there aren't all that many players who are in Trouba's cohort who went the bridge route so it is hard to say how his negotiation will go.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If you don't know what to say, maybe start by finding us some comparables that make $6-7M. Tell us what they did to get it and what Trouba has done to deserve it.
How about I bookmark your comment and bringit back up after he re-signs.
Would you like to make a friendly wager that his AAV starts with a 6 or higher?

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
How about I bookmark your comment and bringit back up after he re-signs.
Would you like to make a friendly wager that his AAV starts with a 6 or higher?

Sure, lets do it. Its not that I don't think he "deserves" $6.5M. Its that I don't think he has the resume to get it. Defensemen seem to get paid according to offensive production and Trouba just doesn't have the kind of production that would merit anything over $6M.

Yes, he has killer advanced stats, yes he produces at 5v5, yes he's on the PK and doesn't get any PP time. Yes, he's 2 years removed from his ELC. Overhardt will be serving all that stuff up, but end of day its total offense where these guys get paid and Trouba just doesn't have the numbers to warrant it.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Sure, lets do it. Its not that I don't think he "deserves" $6.5M. Its that I don't think he has the resume to get it. Defensemen seem to get paid according to offensive production and Trouba just doesn't have the kind of production that would merit anything over $6M.

Yes, he has killer advanced stats, yes he produces at 5v5, yes he's on the PK and doesn't get any PP time. Yes, he's 2 years removed from his ELC. Overhardt will be serving all that stuff up, but end of day its total offense where these guys get paid and Trouba just doesn't have the numbers to warrant it.
Sort of like Lowry!

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

What would you like to bet?
An avatar bet?
Loser wears another team's jersey in public?
Ideas?

Reactions: adammlis

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With regards to Trouba's contract, had he been able to duplicate last season this year he would be getting $7 million imo. However his injuries and uneven play this season will likely hurt him a bit in his negotiations. He had some periods of play like last season but also had some periods of very mediocre play. This is the contract that has the most variability in terms of potential outcomes. I am not so sure his total body of work has put him in a significantly better bargaining position outside of the provisions granted by the CBA. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chevy speaks of him as a "cornerstone".

Let's say 2 years ago we gave him 6.125m over 8 years for 49m.
We have paid him 6m over two years so he has 6 years and 43m. This is with a higher salary cap.
I think he signs a 5 year deal at over 6.5m.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Chevy speaks of him as a "cornerstone".

Let's say 2 years ago we gave him 6.125m over 8 years for 49m.
We have paid him 6m over two years so he has 6 years and 43m. This is with a higher salary cap.
I think he signs a 5 year deal at over 6.5m.
And he would have been worth that but he took a gamble. I don't know if it paid off. His offense doesn't jump off the page. He has not been an intimidating presence like Buff. He has been good defensively. Do you get paid for that?

Reactions: ocdaddy

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And he would have been worth that but he took a gamble. I don't know if it paid off. His offense doesn't jump off the page. He has not been an intimidating presence like Buff. He has been good defensively. Do you get paid for that?

He has been extremely good offensively at ES but he hasn't shown the ability to take control and produce on the PP which ultimately puts a limit on his production. He had all of last season with Myers injured to stake his claim, he was also given first dibs at the start of the year but ultimately was replaced by Myers for not producing enough. He has 7 PP points the last 2 seasons and 20 in his career. Myers had 17 this past season and over 75 in his career. I am not a fan of Myers on the PP but he earned it this season.

So 5 years into his career we are looking at a darn good top pairing ES defensman who can kill penalties but doesn't offer much utility on the PP moving forward. That will ultimately lower what he can get as at this point he isn't an all around force in all situations like a Doughty. More over I don't think the org plans on using him on the PP long term anyhow. Judging by Moe's comments the next step for JoMo as a player is to is to take control of a PP as its QB.

Reactions: adammlis

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree with those who dont think Trouba gets over 6.5.

I think hes somewhat overrated .What boggles my mind is Morrissey at 5.5 but Trouba gets a million more? Why? Josh is our best overall D man.

Trouba has more leverage via arbitration as well as the fact we would be buying more UFA years (They cost more). I also think Trouba is still the better dmen but Morrissey significantly closed the gap this past season.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I agree with those who dont think Trouba gets over 6.5.

I think hes somewhat overrated .What boggles my mind is Morrissey at 5.5 but Trouba gets a million more? Why? Josh is our best overall D man.
The answer is so incredibly simple. Trouba has two less RFA years than Morrissey.

Overrated or not, these things matter.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Trade Little, Perreault and Myers.

Lowry is deserving of 2C at this point, Roslovic deserves a crack on skill and potential alone. Little’s contract was a bad move on Chevy’s part, Myers and Perreault are great players that we simply cannot afford moving forward.

ConnorScheifeleLaine
EhlersRoslovicWheeler
PetanLowryVesalainen
TanevCoppAppleton
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
+ Healthy Scratches
Salaries: 32m ~

MorrisseyTrouba
NikuByfuglien
KulikovPoolman
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
+ Healthy Scratches
Salaries: 29m ~

Hellebuyck
Mason
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Salaries: 10.5m

Total: 71.5m

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Trade Little, Perreault and Myers.

Lowry is deserving of 2C at this point, Roslovic deserves a crack on skill and potential alone. Little’s contract was a bad move on Chevy’s part, Myers and Perreault are great players that we simply cannot afford moving forward.

ConnorScheifeleLaine
EhlersRoslovicWheeler
PetanLowryVesalainen
TanevCoppAppleton
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
+ Healthy Scratches
Salaries: 32m ~

MorrisseyTrouba
NikuByfuglien
KulikovPoolman
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
+ Healthy Scratches
Salaries: 29m ~

Hellebuyck
Mason
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Salaries: 10.5m

Total: 71.5m
Dear lord.

If we were to make these moves, the next complaint would be 'we are not deep enough to win it all.'

There is no reason to trade Little; we do not have his replacement. We can hold on to Perreault for the time being too. Myers is the only one who could be dealt for assets now rather than losing him for nothing later on.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i like the Viktor Arvidsson contract for Connor, and the Brett Pesce one for Morrissey :D

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Dear lord.

If we were to make these moves, the next complaint would be 'we are not deep enough to win it all.'

There is no reason to trade Little; we do not have his replacement. We can hold on to Perreault for the time being too. Myers is the only one who could be dealt for assets now rather than losing him for nothing later on.

I agree.
1 - Lowry isnt a 2C, not enough offense
2 - I think Roslovic will spend next year in the lineup all year but playing wing and maybe switch places with Little in the following year, or they give him a shot between Laine and Ehlers since we know Little doesnt fit there.
3 - As you said that robs alot of our depth, which is why we are finally good (guys are playing roles they excel at, and not playing above their talent)
4 - Myers is here at least until his contract is up I feel.
5 - He's gutted our bottom 6 F depth for youth which isnt neccessarily a bad thing but we need to ease those guys in, look at why Detroit was so successful up until a few years ago. They let their prospects marinate in the minors until they dominated and had nothing left to prove, then brought them up 1 or 2 at a time to learn how to play the game from the established roster. Thats the formula that we are trying to emulate.

To be honest for next year I think our biggest issue/hole is the 2C spot because - Little doesnt fit with Laine and Ehlers and Lowry/Copp are bottom 6 C, they can fill in for a game every now and then but if they are in your top 6 all season we lose that depth. If we can convince Statsny to come back for 1 year cheap to chase a cup thats awesome and saves us from cap purgatory but hes probably the next best C on the market after Tavares so someone will throw some money his way.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
I would not bridge either Morrissey or Connor. Both would cost us a fortune once their bridge contract ended. I would offer Morrissey $5.5 x 6 years and Connor the same as Ehlers contract at $6.0 x 6 years. These two are core players and if it causes cap issues down the road you start unloading guys like Perreault and Little.

Reactions: Flair Hay

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Vesalainen-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Connor-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Armia
Tanev-Hendricks-Appleton

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Byfuglien
Chiarot-Niku
Enstrom-Poolman

Hellebuyck
??

PP1:
Stastny-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Buff

PP2:
Ehlers-Little-Connor
Morrissey-Vesalainen

Moves:
-Trade Myers, Mason, Petan to free up cap space and re-acquire 1st round pick in this year

Reactions: Jetsetter

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Vesalainen-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Connor-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Armia
Tanev-Hendricks-Appleton

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Byfuglien
Chiarot-Niku
Enstrom-Poolman

Hellebuyck
??

PP1:
Stastny-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Buff

PP2:
Ehlers-Little-Connor
Morrissey-Vesalainen

Moves:
-Trade Myers, Mason, Petan to free up cap space and re-acquire 1st round pick in this year
We will not be able to afford Stas next year and there is no way Ves is going to be on the top line. Getting rid of Petan really does not save that much.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
We will not be able to afford Stas next year and there is no way Ves is going to be on the top line. Getting rid of Petan really does not save that much.
Seemed unlikely Laine would play most of his rookie season on the top line, as it did for Connor as well. To me it makes sense that you’d want your high skill/defensively deficient top rookie playing alongside two of your team’s all-around players. Just following that logic with Ves.

I understand the amount of contracts to pay out this year, but Enstrom/Myers/Mason would get you nearly $15m freed up, on top of the salary cap’s estimated increase of $3m-$7m. I really don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest a deal could be made with Stastny, especially if we go deep this year.

Getting rid of Petan is to sweeten the pot when looking for a 1st round pick. If he’s not making the roster, he’s simply an aging asset at this point. Better to cash out on him while there’s still a premium for his potential elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad