Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I don't know. Pulju isn't great at playing a slow game. He seems to think he's a skill guy who makes plays off the rush. That's how he was successful at the WJC. But that style does not work for him in the NHL because he's simply not skilled enough, nor does he have enough finishing ability. I've said it ad nauseam but he really needs to incorporate a grinding style to his game. It's the only way he can be a useful NHLer and have a long career. The guy is 6'4, 200 lbs with wide shoulders. He's huge. If only he started using that size to his advantage...
He has good speed and his shot is heavy. Both can be very useful in the NHL. He also is very tenacious on the forecheck.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
He has good speed and his shot is heavy. Both can be very useful in the NHL. He also is very tenacious on the forecheck.
All that but I also fear that as soon as he gets real competition he's Bambi on ice again. His core strenght and balance never impressed much in the NHL.

Nonetheless, I really hope we have a player in JP.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
All that but I also fear that as soon as he gets real competition he's Bambi on ice again. His core strenght and balance never impressed much in the NHL.

He was also a teenager then. He's had a couple years of training and conditioning since then. 22yo JP will be stronger than 19/20 yr old JP

Draisaitl is an example of this too. His skating and balance was awkward as a teenager in the NHL too, but once he grew into his body frame and put on some man muscle, he's developed onto one of the strongest forwards in the entire league

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Yep, his core strength and balance are two things that he really needs to improve. With his size he could lean on guys but he just doesn't seem to have the core strength to do it.

He was also a teenager then. He's had a couple years of training and conditioning since then. 22yo JP will be stronger than 19/20 yr old JP

Draisaitl is an example of this too. His skating and balance was awkward as a teenager in the NHL too, but once he grew into his body frame and put on some man muscle, he's developed onto one of the strongest forwards in the entire league

Draisaitl is not a good comparison. Dude scored more points in his draft +2 season alone than Puljujärvi has done to date, four years later. Draisaitl had 51 points in 72 games, Pulju has 37 points in 139 games so far.

Honestly Pulju kinda reminds me of Yakupov in the sense that he seems to be a very hard worker but just doesn't work on the right things, the things that would actually make him an effective NHL player.

Reactions: CookiesAndMilk

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
All the observations on this page seem very credible. For Pulju to be part of a successful scoring third line (he doesnt have enough skill for a top line RW--at least at this point and we have what appears to be a second line RW) he will need a center that can stand in front of the opposition net making room and scooping in the garbage. That is not Turris and JJ is not good at this either. Eventually Holloway could fill this role but he is at least a couple of years away and might end up playing most of his time on 1LW eventually.
Was banging on the drum about substantially overpaying Ottawa for Chris Tierney before they sold Pageau but Holland listened to Yzerbum and bought AA. However with the asset i wanted to use we got Holloway so ....

We have another player Benson (basically a playmaking LW general) that needs Holloway or something close to him right now too. With the type of players Holland has picked up Bensons career with us is probably done unless we get something--Eric Haula is the best available out there of this type. He could make Pulju somewhat relevant too.

Suppose we have full LTIR on Klefbom....with a unknown future. This is the best we can do by the end of covid year.

Turris/Neal/Ennis -- McDavid -- Kassian/Neal

RNH -- Draisatl -- Yammer

Kahun/Ennis --Haula/Turris -- Puljujarvi/Neal

JJ/Benson -- Hass/Haula -- Archibald/Chiasson

Nygard -- xxxx -- Chiasson

Nurse -- Bear

Jones? -- Larsson

Russell/Lagesson -- Barrie

Lennstrom -- A. Greene/Bouchard

Kostko

(young Russian monster breaking through)

I know this looks confusing; the lines this year will not be static at all. There is alot to be determined by playing. Holland likely looking to replace Smith by game 20. Obviously this kind of movement and experimentation not available normally--not sure what league will do but suspect extra 3 players on rosters?
For 21/22 Neal bought out?, one of Kahun/Ennis is gone?, Nygard gone, Chiasson gone, Russell gone, Barrie gone.

Haas, JJ, Larsson, Pulju all riding the edge as well.
Turris and Archibald make it but they are just above replacement level as well. Both probably see 22/23.
Damn just dropped and smashed the crystal ball.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Having major hip issues and surgery to correct them is a factor that you’re leaving out. Plus he was a 6’5” 17-19 year old kid...takes a while for coordination to catch up

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I wonder if Nugent-hopkins gets some time centering the third line in the ozone....with Turris playing up sometimes and Kahun filling 2LW part time. That might work for Pulju. At least then Holland and co. will see his potential as a complentary winger.
I think even without the right center He does ok but he is not likely a goal scorer at the NHL level.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Having major hip issues and surgery to correct them is a factor that you’re leaving out. Plus he was a 6’5” 17-19 year old kid...takes a while for coordination to catch up

Except he was absolutely dominant with his size and skill against peer competition throughout his development. Physically developed early was a huge benefit (pun intended) in both his on-ice success and draft projection. There was never any coordination issues present when this player was slotted as a top four overall draft prospect. The hips issue and surgery are now a couple years in the past.

The physical gifts have got Puljujarvi this far. It's the intangibles we can't see that are at issue - can he process the game well enough at its highest NHL level (hockey sense)? Has he built up grit and resiliency to face down adversity which will come again against world best talent in the NHL?

His hockey sense will become clearer upon his return and with the steady line mates and consistent ice time on the third line. If it proves out over time and patience there is still some higher upside but if not at least there is a serviceable big body for bottom six support.

Reactions: tellermine

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Except he was absolutely dominant with his size and skill against peer competition throughout his development. Physically developed early was a huge benefit (pun intended) in both his on-ice success and draft projection. There was never any coordination issues present when this player was slotted as a top four overall draft prospect. The hips issue and surgery are now a couple years in the past.

The physical gifts have got Puljujarvi this far. It's the intangibles we can't see that are at issue - can he process the game well enough at its highest NHL level (hockey sense)? Has he built up grit and resiliency to face down adversity which will come again against world best talent in the NHL?

His hockey sense will become clearer upon his return and with the steady line mates and consistent ice time on the third line. If it proves out over time and patience there is still some higher upside but if not at least there is a serviceable big body for bottom six support.

the hip issue is something that had a major impact on his skating and physical ability in his last year as an oiler. It was one offseason ago that he had the surgeries. He has played one season since. It’s not like it’s way in the past.

And yes even as a 17 year old he was able to dominate, but he still had a ton of awkwardness as he was still learning how to use his massive frame. It’s incredibly common for large, lanky hockey players to take a bit longer to establish NHL level balance and agility and to learn how to lower their center of gravity. Watching clips of him in Finland it’s clear as day that his skating and balance are better. How he stacks up against tougher competition...I guess we’ll see in the new year.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
the hip issue is something that had a major impact on his skating and physical ability in his last year as an oiler. It was one offseason ago that he had the surgeries. He has played one season since. It’s not like it’s way in the past.

And yes even as a 17 year old he was able to dominate, but he still had a ton of awkwardness as he was still learning how to use his massive frame. It’s incredibly common for large, lanky hockey players to take a bit longer to establish NHL level balance and agility and to learn how to lower their center of gravity. Watching clips of him in Finland it’s clear as day that his skating and balance are better. How he stacks up against tougher competition...I guess we’ll see in the new year.

Sorry my point was he's had one full season and essentially a half since surgery. He's been physically able since it was done.

But physically, Puljujarvi benefited, as many players do, by early development which helps to impose themselves in peer competition. Having the size advantage and the raw toolkit including speed was evident in his stellar draft eligible U20 Gold Medal and tournament MVP award which is essentially seldom to never dominated by 17 year olds. He was a boy in a man's body but it hasn't been the physical elements which have stunted the ability to play against elite NHL competition. The issues have and are between the ears - confidence is a massive consideration which suffered under poor development of an immature teenager and as I've noted real questions to be answered soon about hockey IQ and ability to process the game vs. dominate young via the early physical development.

EDIT: Good u20 tourney footage of the 17 year old Flying Finns:

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yep, his core strength and balance are two things that he really needs to improve. With his size he could lean on guys but he just doesn't seem to have the core strength to do it.

Draisaitl is not a good comparison. Dude scored more points in his draft +2 season alone than Puljujärvi has done to date, four years later. Draisaitl had 51 points in 72 games, Pulju has 37 points in 139 games so far.

Honestly Pulju kinda reminds me of Yakupov in the sense that he seems to be a very hard worker but just doesn't work on the right things, the things that would actually make him an effective NHL player.

A lot of you people are all doom and gloom for Pulju. You forget to realize, if Puljujarvi turns into a tenacious 40 + point middle 6 forward who can forecheck well , thats a massive upgrade for the Oilers depth.

Yakupov comparisons are terrible and need to be banned from this thread. Joking about the banning of course. Way too much is made out of Yak comparisons imo they just don't fly. Puljujarvi "on the ice" is nothing like Yakupov. Bigger faster able to go to the net and does. Doesn't run around like bees are chasing him. The Bambi comments are way over blown.

Same token Draisaitl and Puljujärvi are very different as well and a poor comparison.

Everyone forgets but Puljujarvi already had the majority of a year where he scored well in a third line role in the nhl 5v5. His floor is a meh 3rd liner, he has been there done that. Not sure how people forget Puljujarvi played well for an extended stint as a teenager, little/no PP or ice time, meh linemates. He fell apart a bit, by the looks primarily due to injury, during his last season with us. It's just a matter if he becomes an elite 3rd liner or hopefully even better.

Reactions: Anarchism and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Sorry my point was he's had one full season and essentially a half since surgery. He's been physically able since it was done.

But physically, Puljujarvi benefited, as many players do, by early development which helps to impose themselves in peer competition. Having the size advantage and the raw toolkit including speed was evident in his stellar draft eligible U20 Gold Medal and tournament MVP award which is essentially seldom to never dominated by 17 year olds. He was a boy in a man's body but it hasn't been the physical elements which have stunted the ability to play against elite NHL competition. The issues have and are between the ears - confidence is a massive consideration which suffered under poor development of an immature teenager and as I've noted real questions to be answered soon about hockey IQ and ability to process the game vs. dominate young via the early physical development.

EDIT: Good u20 tourney footage of the 17 year old Flying Finns:

His lack of balance and how high he carries his center of gravity have 100% impacted his ability to compete against NHL competitors. How many times did people say he looked like Bambi on ice? Him growing into his body and learning how to use it, combined with his hip issues were 100% things that impacted his ability in his first 3 years in North America.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
His lack of balance and how high he carries his center of gravity have 100% impacted his ability to compete against NHL competitors. How many times did people say he looked like Bambi on ice? Him growing into his body and learning how to use it, combined with his hip issues were 100% things that impacted his ability in his first 3 years in North America.

We're disagreed on this (and that's okay!). He showed no 'Bambi on ice' or mobility challenges as an elite 17 year old. It didn't hold the player back from making an NHL roster at 18 as was the 'Oiler way.' The dominant issue has been mental/intangible - immaturity and overwhelmed in a new culture, self confidence crushed and lack of coping and resilience tools for a teenage prodigy, and some questions whether the capacity to think and process the game as the highest NHL level. He, of course, like everyone, will continue to become more coordinated through maturity. But watching him play at 17 there was no issue that held him back in this regard.

As a young, immature teenage NHLer, I felt far greater issue was Puljujarvi's inability to know where to go on the ice and how to play within a structured system as likely inflaming a perception of so called 'Bambi on ice.' He looked awkward less from physical coordination shortcomings moreso skating into the wrong positions and areas on the ice which was allegedly a reported issue by some of his teammates. Fragile self-confidence and prone to bad decision making brings out the awkwardness.

Reactions: nabob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I still don't know if this is a function of his hip problem or not. People that see him a lot now could elaborate. I don't know that its his core strength. When Pulju feels up to it he's certainly able to lay a solid hit on the boards. Thats usually an indication of somebody that can transfer decent energy from legs to core/torso. I mean he should be able to at his size. But he's had some crunchers. Mostly he looked awkward, more edges and balance. To me its just that this aspect of his game is not well honed. I mean compare him to a guy like Glenn Anderson who seemingly defied gravity in staying on his feet balancing on one leg. To me Pulju just hasn't developed sufficient coordination on skates. I think he's strong, just not on balancing on skates.

My biggest concern with Pulju is the up and down determination and mental aspects of staying focused. Player seems too easily discouraged, and showing sag from one shift to the next. One can palpably see the difference in games where he is feeling it, and being positive and productive, and the all too frequent games where his mental positivity is not dialed in You can't be questioning yourself while playing at this level.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Yakupov comparisons are terrible and need to be banned from this thread. Joking about the banning of course. Way too much is made out of Yak comparisons imo they just don't fly. Puljujarvi "on the ice" is nothing like Yakupov. Bigger faster able to go to the net and does. Doesn't run around like bees are chasing him. The Bambi comments are way over blown.

Same token Draisaitl and Puljujärvi are very different as well and a poor comparison.

Everyone forgets but Puljujarvi already had the majority of a year where he scored well in a third line role in the nhl 5v5. His floor is a meh 3rd liner, he has been there done that. Not sure how people forget Puljujarvi played well for an extended stint as a teenager, little/no PP or ice time, meh linemates. He fell apart a bit, by the looks primarily due to injury, during his last season with us. It's just a matter if he becomes an elite 3rd liner or hopefully even better.

If you read my post my Yakupov comparison had nothing to do with on-ice play, my point was merely that they were both huge talents who were never really able to convert their talent into results at the NHL level and this was/is likely due to deficiencies in their respective games never being properly addressed or improved upon through practice or a shift in mentality. Of course Pulju still has time to make those improvements but based on the reports and footage out of Finland it doesn't seem like much has changed.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Puljujarvi instantly gives the Oilers some push from the bottom 6 at worse. A cup run within the next 2 years will include him absolutely blasting other teams 3rd lines, with the occasional look on Drai's Wing. I will be extremely happy with that. Throw in Turris and possibly Savoie getting a look there in a years time. That would be a pretty insane third line.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Puljujarvi instantly gives the Oilers some push from the bottom 6 at worse. A cup run within the next 2 years will include him absolutely blasting other teams 3rd lines, with the occasional look on Drai's Wing. I will be extremely happy with that. Throw in Turris and possibly Savoie getting a look there in a years time. That would be a pretty insane third line.
Aren't you going to be dissappointed!

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
A lot of you people are all doom and gloom for Pulju. You forget to realize, if Puljujarvi turns into a tenacious 40 + point middle 6 forward who can forecheck well , thats a massive upgrade for the Oilers depth.
Nah man. Every top 10 pick has to become an NHL game breaker or it's a wasted pick and a bad move by the organization that drafted them and only serves to highlight organizational incompetence.

Am I doing this right?

Last edited:

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Maybe this was shared earlier on this thread, but some highlight against Pelicans. MTV3-KANAVA titled it ”Puljujärvi did what he wanted”. He was creating more than he was credited pointwise. I especially like the first Kärpät goal. They were playing shorthanded and Puljujärvi’s hit opens a rush for Kärpät to score.
https://youtu.be/LSJqla4gZwQ

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Just noticed ... why are the blue lines so close to the red line? Such an enormous offensive zone and almost no neutral zone?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

If "terrible" opinions were banned from threads, you would never be allowed to post in a Broberg topic ever again. So might want to be careful.

Reactions: nabob

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
Nah man. Every top 10 pick has to become an NHL game breaker or it's a wasted pick and a bad move by the organization that drafted them and only serves to highlight organizational incompetence.

Am I doing this right?
Yes. You are finally doing this right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna