Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
In Finland you can get out of the game for fighting so his gut reaction might also be that he has to avoid fights if he wants to stay on the ice and keep his top-6 place. He flashed some aggression in the national team, but it's rare and like you said it obviously isn't in his DNA. But if it really comes to it I believe he'll go for it like he did in the AHL.

Well, and to be frank... He didn't do anything remotely worth such a reaction.

If Jesse could add some aggression to his game, he'd be an absolute force in this league. I don't think he's got that in him though, I see him having the potential for Johan Franzen physicality though; where he's not really a physical force, and then just every one and a while the moon aligns and out of nowhere his size just takes over a game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The main thing is to have and organize chances. While Ottawa is worse than the others I liked what I saw in these goals and more importantly, he could've scored goals earlier, so it wasn't like he scored them out of the blue. Like you said the biggest thing is the confidence part and it also should take away some pressure, which will hopefully help him play even better.

I started to write to give credit to you for appreciating Pulju's work this year and saying it aloud. I know you didn't like his play that much at some point so I've been happy to see your posts and have felt it's a good sign concerning Jesse's play when I haven't been able to see the game myself. I hope he keeps pushing his very best and manages to please guys like you as I know he's doing something right then :)

Not one critical word from me about his play here this season. he's doing what he needs to do to find success. I like that he's recognizing moments too. its not the worst thing to realize the team you are playing with can be exploited, and doing that. EV, I make no qualms, he's been the 2nd best player on his line. More than earning his pay.

I finally get that feeling he could be replacing part of the Taylor Hall offense. I like him. Its like a bonus getting this performance from his this season and he's putting a smile on peoples faces here. He's a good guy to have around it seems during a pandemic when people can use the smiles and Pizza. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

If Jesse could add some aggression to his game, he'd be an absolute force in this league. I don't think he's got that in him though, I see him having the potential for Johan Franzen physicality though; where he's not really a physical force, and then just every one and a while the moon aligns and out of nowhere his size just takes over a game.

Pulju knocked somebody on the bench and has laid out a few good hits. Its more the kind of agression that suits him, he's using his size and forcing, bulling to pucks, which is always what I wanted to see with his big size. He's having some dominating shifts, and thats good.

One of the best looks is seeing Pulju when his line has changes and he's 3 on 1 with the puck. He's showing his work, and his homework. He doesn't just dump it in, he has intent to go into zone and basically says to opponents "take the puck off me" this is happening more than a few times. its good service to his linemates and the next line coming in that he's being such a handful. Be hard on puck, look at Draisaitl. That should be a model for that.

Dustin Penner played the game that way.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Pulju knocked somebody on the bench and has laid out a few good hits. Its more the kind of agression that suits him, he's using his size and forcing, bulling to pucks, which is always what I wanted to see with his big size. He's having some dominating shifts, and thats good.

One of the best looks is seeing Pulju when his line has changes and he's 3 on 1 with the puck. He's showing his work, and his homework. He doesn't just dump it in, he has intent to go into zone and basically says to opponents "take the puck off me" this is happening more than a few times. its good service to his linemates and the next line coming in that he's being such a handful. Be hard on puck, look at Draisaitl. That should be a model for that.

Dustin Penner played the game that way.

I agree with this 100%. I don't think he's quite wired the way Penner and Drai are though, I don't see him as a guy who brings that game one a shift by shift basis. He thinks the game more like a Marchant, Lehtonen or a Cogliano, and as far as I'm concerned that's okay. Do I think he'd be a better player if he was wired that way? Absolutely. But I also think even if he isn't if he keeps playing on the right side of the puck, playing strong puck support, and winning races he can be a very good player in this league regardless.

It's why I bring up Franzen, because I think he's got that in him but I don't think he'll ever really bring that every shift. But having the ability to do it is a huge boon. In particular, Franzen pulling that out in certain playoff games is why Detroit was able to win so many cups.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
Fighting is very uncommon in Finnish juniors, parents sue for that shit very easily if anything happens and the aggressor might lose his career right away. But he'll learn that this is the NHL.

edit: FEL has more dirty hits than i can count, but they avoid young stars.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I agree with this 100%. I don't think he's quite wired the way Penner and Drai are though, I don't see him as a guy who brings that game one a shift by shift basis. He thinks the game more like a Marchant, Lehtonen or a Cogliano, and as far as I'm concerned that's okay. Do I think he'd be a better player if he was wired that way? Absolutely. But I also think even if he isn't if he keeps playing on the right side of the puck, playing strong puck support, and winning races he can be a very good player in this league regardless.

I don't think he can set up a pace like Draisaitl and I doubt he even wants to play that way but comparing him to likes of Cogliano isn't accurate either. Someone like Cogliano is a pure speedster and has pretty much been the way he is his whole career. Pulju at his best is a fast skating, fast thinking playmaker. When he played with Laine and Aho he took that role and was fantastic at it. Since then I've seen him trying to be a sniper, grinder and a defensive RW but lately he's shown some glimpses of his most natural style with McD and RNH. I just hope he keeps on developing on that even though it's expected of him to create space for his teammates with his speed and physical play.

If everything works for him, the closest comparison for him is Blake Wheeler. It's been said before.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver

I don't think he has it in him. Seems to nice a lad. Maybe the Tkachuk's can bring out his inner beast

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Not one critical word from me about his play here this season. he's doing what he needs to do to find success. I like that he's recognizing moments too. its not the worst thing to realize the team you are playing with can be exploited, and doing that. EV, I make no qualms, he's been the 2nd best player on his line. More than earning his pay.

I finally get that feeling he could be replacing part of the Taylor Hall offense. I like him. Its like a bonus getting this performance from his this season and he's putting a smile on peoples faces here. He's a good guy to have around it seems during a pandemic when people can use the smiles and Pizza. ;)

After what had happened I was hoping Pulju would come back with:
- humble attitude that shows he's here to help the team
- say the right things about his return and him seeing things in a different light now
- attitude that shows he wants to be part of the group
- attitude that shows he wants to win hearts of guys like you back
- use his size better than before
- put 100% out in every game
- smile

It's been lots of ticks so it's a nice start and many of your (and many others like @snipes ) posts have felt pretty nice. There'll probably be some worse games, but it's nice to see you guys appreciate the effort he's making. Hopefully also the points will look better after a while, though low PP usage makes me keep those expectations moderate.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He needs to get used to it. Paajarvi never seemed to get over being intimidated by opposing players while he was here.

JP needs to learn to deal with this type of stuff or else he will become an easy (but large) target for other teams.

All in good time.

I have honestly never seen a player get jumped like that for doing absolutely nothing before. Not sure he needs to learn how to deal with it. Paajarvi took a couple of huge hits in his rookie season and completely lost his will to go to the dirty areas. I think from what we have seen of Pulju this year he loves playing in the dirty areas, in the corners, in front of the net and isn’t afraid to throw his weight around a little. If anything he showed that he’s perfectly capable of dealing with antics like what White did last night. He responded by scoring two goals and not being intimidated at all.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
I have honestly never seen a player get jumped like that for doing absolutely nothing before. Not sure he needs to learn how to deal with it. Paajarvi took a couple of huge hits in his rookie season and completely lost his will to go to the dirty areas. I think from what we have seen of Pulju this year he loves playing in the dirty areas, in the corners, in front of the net and isn’t afraid to throw his weight around a little. If anything he showed that he’s perfectly capable of dealing with antics like what White did last night. He responded by scoring two goals and not being intimidated at all.
Magnus was such a p***y

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Probably discussed already but what was Pulju asked in Finnish and what was his response?

Last minute of the clip

There were a couple of translations done at the same time earlier, this is from @torniojaws :

"How good did it feel to get some goals? The smile was really wide, but did you already start to have a monkey on your back?"
- "Well, maybe a small monkey starts to climb there after one month of no goals despite trying really hard. It's good to have the first one now, and it's time to look forward. In the next game, we'll have to do it again from scratch. Tough league, tough league..."

"How does it feel to play in the first line?"
- "The plays are fast and the games are tough, and there's a lot of games when there's a game every other day. The thing is to maintain your quality and be able to play top-notch hockey every day. It has been really nice to play right now (in the 1st line)"

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
Probably discussed already but what was Pulju asked in Finnish and what was his response?

Last minute of the clip

First question was "How does it feel to score your first goal of the season and did you already grow a monkey on your back? Answer: "It feels good to score for sure and there was a small monkey."
Second: "What does it take to succeed in this league and how are you handling it?" Answer: "Just work hard, be positive and try to be better every game. The tough part is there are games every other day and you got to give your 100% in every game and get that consistency. But its fun to work hard."

Loosely translated.

e: someone was faster

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Paajarvi had a boyscout kind of look that probably didn't help. i mean not his fault, but I could see some guys thinking why not take a run at him, he won't stand up to it. Its unfortunate its an aspect of bullying that some just give out signals that its open season. By my take Paajarvi was like that. Gagner too I guess. Although the latter would at least try to stand up and fight.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
MPS started hockey at 11 years old. I think he did pretty good IMO. Some kids started hockey as soon as they can walk and can't even sniff pro hockey

Talent, yes, NHL, no. He didn't have it for this league. Deer in headlights. He was intimidated after awhile too. Got 15 goals the one season and I said he'll never come close again. He got scared of trains. It happens.
He should have started tennis..

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Absolute pretender of a player. Soon recognized him as a figure skater. Wrong league, wrong sport, sorry, seeya.
When Curtis Glencross popped him that first time in the corner and Paajarvi skated to the bench for a cry his NHL career was over before it ever had a chance to begin.

The hit was a little late by Glencross. It wasn't fair at all. People were all bothered about it.

I would rather have the undrafted Curtis Glencross over the highly touted Magnus Paajarvi. Wait, we did have Curtis Glencross, wtf?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Talent, yes, NHL, no. He didn't have it for this league. Deer in headlights. He was intimidated after awhile too. Got 15 goals the one season and I said he'll never come close again. He got scared of trains. It happens.
One of the better shinny players though.:D

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
MPS started hockey at 11 years old. I think he did pretty good IMO. Some kids started hockey as soon as they can walk and can't even sniff pro hockey

I'm not sure where you got that from. His Dad is a former pro hockey player and Magnus played competitive hockey at an early age and then rarely at his peer level Swedish prodigy Paajarvi could be top-5 pick

He looked good ... looked good as a prospect driven by strong skating and size. But he could not pull all the pieces together and didn't seem all that driven with an internal motor. Most notably the offence simply wasn't there.

Reactions: Canovin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad