Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm not sure where you got that from. His Dad is a former pro hockey player and Magnus played competitive hockey at an early age and then rarely at his peer level Swedish prodigy Paajarvi could be top-5 pick

He looked good ... looked good as a prospect driven by strong skating and size. But he could not pull all the pieces together and didn't seem all that driven with an internal motor. Most notably the offence simply wasn't there.
I might have read it wrong somewhere or my memory isn't serving me right. Lol

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Paajarvi had a boyscout kind of look that probably didn't help. i mean not his fault, but I could see some guys thinking why not take a run at him, he won't stand up to it. Its unfortunate its an aspect of bullying that some just give out signals that its open season. By my take Paajarvi was like that. Gagner too I guess. Although the latter would at least try to stand up and fight.
Unfortunately none of those teams would blink an eye at all their young prospects/stars getting run. The opposition had a green light every night.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
There was a time when I didn't have an account here, but I read through posts. At that time you were one of the biggest if not the very biggest critic towards Pulju. I apologize if you have a different view now, but please understand it's hard for me to push that picture away from my head. I just feel in almost every post you try to feed some negative thoughts about Pulju, that's what I meant with mission, sorry I didn't mean to offend but wanted to say that. It's your right of course, but sometimes I just wish you could be happy for him as he's got so much shit, also from you, during these years.

I don't mind if you see I have a mission for Pulju, I feel I'm from the other side of the coin compared to you.
I definitely support the Oilers too and try to bring my bit by translating some articles and maybe bringing news from Finland.
And I should not critique forward that was drafted 4th. overall and was quite a flop at first stint?
He was a huge dissapointment!

But yes.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
It’s like you can’t accept that any player has more failures trying to score than they have success. Even McDavid...
And game is again only scoring...
This what I mean. Quite a few seem to see only highlights or they forget else when someone scores.

Jesse has a good energy going, I do hope problems were mostly just nerves and now that old ape is gone.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
And I should not critique forward that was drafted 4th. overall and was quite a flop at first stint?
He was a huge dissapointment!

But yes.

I wasn't talking about normal critique and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Anyway I don't want to offend you or anyone so I'll drop this here. But I agree with you that a couple of goals aren't a huge thing in the big picture. But then again I think Pulju's game during this season deserves some credit. Points aren't everything, though many fans don't look far beyound them. Earlier Pulju was a player who couldn't do enough if he wasn't scoring, but now he's been a very useful piece, solid defensively and contributed to several more goals.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
When someone comes swinging at you, you don't start swinging after. Usually you go into defense mode. Gauge the situation and then start firing away. Pulju did the right thing.
I'm just glad it wasn't Jesse getting his new tooth stubs attended to at the bench. That would be Dadonov :toothless

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
And game is again only scoring...
This what I mean. Quite a few seem to see only highlights or they forget else when someone scores.

Jesse has a good energy going, I do hope problems were mostly just nerves and now that old ape is gone.
Actually a lot of my point is that there’s a lot more to the game than just scoring. People who watching the games instead of simply judging a player based off goal stats can see this.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
I wasn't talking about normal critique and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Anyway I don't want to offend you or anyone so I'll drop this here. But I agree with you that a couple of goals aren't a huge thing in the big picture. But then again I think Pulju's game during this season deserves some credit. Points aren't everything, though many fans don't look far beyound them. Earlier Pulju was a player who couldn't do enough if he wasn't scoring, but now he's been a very useful piece, solid defensively and contributed to several more goals.
Still if I say something that critique him you somehow forget good things I said about Jesse...

And yes. We see many aspects the same way. I just bring also those not so good to table.

This is actually same shit as it was with his first 3 years.
This time fan posters might get it right though! :)

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Still if I say something that critique him you somehow forget good things I said about Jesse...

And yes. We see many aspects the same way. I just bring also those not so good to table.

This is actually same shit as it was with his first 3 years.
This time fan posters might get it right though! :)

Well didn't you want to trade Pulju for nothing so at the moment it looks like if someone was right it wasn't you. But if you genuinely support Jesse and the Oilers you are happy to be wrong with that. I want to say one more time that critique is always fine from my part, even harsh one. Personal insults and nasty language are a different thing.

I agree he was a disappointment during the first stint, but if we emphasize a particular stat we need to appreciate it also when it doesn't support what we're saying. So if you discredit Pulju's play this season because he hasn't scored enough goals you need to give credit to the first half of his 2nd season, when he scored 8 goals in 22 games with almost no PP usage and in a fairly small role. I'm not trying to make that a huge thing, but I'm hoping you could see and admit at least some point in what I'm trying to say.

Reactions: PulYou and nabob

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Absolute pretender of a player. Soon recognized him as a figure skater. Wrong league, wrong sport, sorry, seeya.

At first I kind of thought that about him as a player but looking at his stats....467 GP, 62 -62 - 124

That's a career so kudos to him.

I will always remember that pre season game against the Bolts where he scored his hat trick and thought we had found gold.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
The stick is part of the equation. It's much more simple to do minor tweaks to his stick than learn how to shoot altogether differently. And let's not blow this out of proportion too, he has a great shot when he gets it off cleanly. Maybe not the most accurate, but it's quick and hard. The problem is, that he flubs the shot too often. It's a minor issue, all things considered.

First of all, Jesse has very long arms and his skating stance is quite hunched (like #99, lol). I have on good authority, that he is using a 6.5 lie stick, which is quite high. Sticks with a higher lie are better suited players with a more upright stance or a shorter stick. Jesse has neither.

That said, I am 100% sure, Jesse knows more about hockey than I do and is more than capable of choosing a stick that works for him, but still, I can't help but wonder how it would affect his playing if he switched to a lower lie or shorter stick. In fact, shorter sticks with high lies can be very effective in front of the net, because it's easier to get the shot off in tight spaces.
I apologize to everyone, but I love talking about hockey sticks. I did some digging on who uses what kind of stick to try to find a player who is somewhat comparable to Jesse size-wise and who uses a long stick but with a proper lie. I found Mark Stone, who uses a low lie (4.5) long-ass stick and has great success with it.

If I could say one thing to Jesse, I would say that order a pro stock Mark Stone stick and try it out for one summer (actually I would also say thanks for all the happy memories, so actually two things).

Now that Jesse is playing more like a power forward anyway, he could take a few other pages from him as well.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
At first I kind of thought that about him as a player but looking at his stats....467 GP, 62 -62 - 124

That's a career so kudos to him.

I will always remember that pre season game against the Bolts where he scored his hat trick and thought we had found gold.
Don't pay attention to him I mean Yammo is trash and not an NHLer in his warped view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad