Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Jesse played a good 12 minutes last night. Nice to see that Tippett put him on the top line late while trying to tie the game - that's a confidence booster if anything. Very good fancy stats too.

Still, Jesse is looking more clumsy out there than I would like. I don't know why though, by all accounts he is incredibly athletic guy... It wasn't this noticeable in Finland. It makes me think, that if he ever gets his body in total control, he will reach his potential.

Hopefully he will focus on agility, balance and board play in the next off season. He has the skills, he has the vision, he has the shot, he has the strength... Only thing missing, in my mind, is the execution, as he is unbalanced too often or doesn't trust his strength to push through.

All in all, a very positive showing from Jesse.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Jesse played a good 12 minutes last night. Nice to see that Tippett put him on the top line late while trying to tie the game - that's a confidence booster if anything. Very good fancy stats too.

Still, Jesse is looking more clumsy out there than I would like. I don't know why though, by all accounts he is incredibly athletic guy... It wasn't this noticeable in Finland. It makes me think, that if he ever gets his body in total control, he will reach his potential.

Hopefully he will focus on agility, balance and board play in the next off season. He has the skills, he has the vision, he has the shot, he has the strength... Only thing missing, in my mind, is the execution, as he is unbalanced too often or doesn't trust his strength to push through.

All in all, a very positive showing from Jesse.

Yes, work to be done in those areas, but I'm happy he seems to have adpated his role in the 1st line very well. In that role he can concentate on bringing his strengths and when he works on some issues and gets his confidence high anything's possible.

I don't know if there's going back to Kassian now, the difference between the two is clear IMO and I'm pretty sure McDavid and Nuge noticed this too. Of course they may still keep Pulju in the 3rd line (where Turris has to do better by the way) and try someone else in the 1st line, but for sure Pulju will be getting more and more chances in the first line if he plays like that.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I was ready to give up on him. He's been better than i expected, buzzing and creating chances. Overall he looks dangerous out there, so that's good.

That said, i was ready to give up on his NHL career and thought that he'd be a solid KHL player in the future, i'm still not expecting him to be an NHL all-star or anything like that, but if he keeps improving i could see a solid top-6 guy in him.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Good game from Pulju and the by far the best game from 3rd line.

Corsi for 6-6
Fenwick for 6-4
Shots for 3-3
Scoring chances for 2-1
High Danger Scoring chances 1-0
Expected goals for% 83.91%

Stats from Natural Stat Trick

Having Ennis there was such an obvious choice. Play skill with skill. Wanted that from day 1. You could keep that together, but Pulju looked good on the 1st line too. And Kassian shouldn't play a second there anymore.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I was ready to give up on him. He's been better than i expected, buzzing and creating chances. Overall he looks dangerous out there, so that's good.

That said, i was ready to give up on his NHL career and thought that he'd be a solid KHL player in the future, i'm still not expecting him to be an NHL all-star or anything like that, but if he keeps improving i could see a solid top-6 guy in him.

Even if he won't ever be the kind of a player that was expected he could prove very valuable to the team in the right role. In that role he can create room for other skilled players and hopefully flash his other potential more and more as his confidence grows.

Pulju's corsi is the 3rd best of the team and he's shot 16 times (Kassian just 5 shots). As I wrote they may decide to keep Pulju in the 3rd line, but so far Kassian hasn't done much in the first line.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013

Yep, I agree. But at least he is a middle 6 forward. There are well over 5 more useless forwards in the team (Khaira, Neal, Chiasson, Archibald, Kassian, Nygård, Shore at least on the top of my head)... So he is making the Oilers a better team.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He should start next game on the top line.

In the few shifts that line had together in the 3rd, they totally hemmed the Leafs in.

Pulju had a couple grade A chances and opened up some ice with a couple good forechecks. You could just see glimpses of the future if it all comes together playing with McDavid. His speed, size, and tenacity on the forecheck all mesh well with the type of players McDavid has historically played his best hockey with.

The last line looked vastly improved once Pulju was on it. I like the effort he’s been playing with all season, seems like he’s due for some points to start piling in, he’s playing good hockey.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I thought I heard in the GDT that yesterday he was so bad it should have been his last game as an oiler :sarcasm:

Reactions: nabob

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
His reach on the forecheck gets there faster than Kassian was supposed to.
As long as he can keep pucks alive for McD and Nuge, he should stay on that line.
His shooting and passing by holding the puck out 10ft infront of him is beyond awkward, but if he finds away to buy McD more time, who cares if he looks like gumby on skates

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
He seems like a guy that is going to be able to cash in on a lotnof garbage around the front of the net and that is pretty valuable when on the ice with mcdavid.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
On Draisaitl's GWG, Jesse was this unmovable rock parked out in front that drew literally EVERYONE in a jets uniform.

Look how wide-open Nuge and Drai are. Everyone collapsing on JP.

I know he didn't get an assist, but he sure as hell did a LOT on the winner.
upload_2021-1-25_0-26-42.png

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
On Draisaitl's GWG, Jesse was this unmovable rock parked out in front that drew literally EVERYONE in a jets uniform.

Look how wide-open Nuge and Drai are. Everyone collapsing on JP.

I know he didn't get an assist, but he sure as hell did a LOT on the winner.
View attachment 388053
3 Jets chasing McD behind the net with 2 seconds left... . :/

Reactions: ujju2

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Jesse has opened up a lot of space for Mcdavid and RNH. His reach and size in puck battles keeps plays alive for those two. If you’re not going to go back to the dynamic trio of last year than at least keep Pulju on that line for the foreseeable future. This is a good fit.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Imagine him in a couple of years. He is still learning how to use his body.

I think he can be a 1st line PWF at 25

It's been mentioned before but Draisaitl improved a lot from year to year in terms of being strong af on his skates. I'd love to see JP commit hard to that kind of training because I think that would boost his game a lot. I don't know if he'll be able to slow the game down like Drai does but it looks like he has the size and puck-handling to get there.

Reactions: Oilhawks

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Even if he won't ever be the kind of a player that was expected he could prove very valuable to the team in the right role. In that role he can create room for other skilled players and hopefully flash his other potential more and more as his confidence grows.

Pulju's corsi is the 3rd best of the team and he's shot 16 times (Kassian just 5 shots). As I wrote they may decide to keep Pulju in the 3rd line, but so far Kassian hasn't done much in the first line.

Kassian thinks he’s baby Drai and plays a passing game on the perimeter. His job is to drive to the net and cash in on rebounds. Not to make a pretty pass.

The entire team is allergic to shooting except JP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad