Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I don't know if it's already been somewhere over here, but Pulju, Bear, Chiasson and Tippett answer to some questions here. Pulju's part starts at around 23 minutes. It's on Facebook so one has to click the link to get to the video.

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I've said it before, but I think the third line should focus on getting the puck to Pulju with speed. I mean the D do it all the time with McDavid and for good reason and it works, he just blows by the D and the puck is in the offensive zone. Pulju has his strengths and one of them is straight line speed, they should try to utilize it more. This was true even before the Pulju 2.0 era and it's even more true now.

Apparently there has been some focus on it already, because Pulju led the entries yesterday against the Canucks.

upload_2021-1-16_21-42-46.jpeg

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Some fans have once again been quite vocal about wanting Jesse to play with McDavid. Also some want him to shorten his stick. It is some what a deja vu.

I am torn. Of course One would like to see him excel beside McDavid, but also one wouldn’t like to see him fail again and lose his confidence.

To me especially the first game he looked quite nervous. I think we should trust Tippett’s expertise. It seems like the plan is to make him feel like he fits and retains his confidence. Mean while they should reunite Nuge, Drai and Yamamoto to stay in the competition (IMO).

Oh yeah and I am agreeing with Lowetide on his opinion (this was against Canadiens):

”Nygard-Turris-Puljujarvi played 6:16, 3-6 shots, no goals, 2-2, 5-9 Corsi. I actually liked this line, especially the wingers. Jesse makes a lot of plays, some of them don’t work, but man he was around the play a lot and that’s a good sign. He had two HDSC’s on the evening at five on five, leading the team. Nygard drew a penalty and was strong on the forecheck. Turris is not moving the needle as No. 3 center at this time.”

It was only the fourth game for them to gel.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
God I hope that he will succeed this year. He's such a lovable guy, something with his aura. He still seems to have the talent to become something good for Oilers and I truly hope they help him to reach his potential.

I´m not arguing for Puljujärvi to take his spot but to have Kassian playing first line minutes is nothing but just wrong. You can have different strengths etc, but the thing is that Kassian is not good enough if a team is trying to achieve anything in the NHL.

Reactions: PulYou

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It was only the fourth game for them to gel.

And actually the 2nd with Nygard in the line. I am not sure which is a bigger risk, to lose confidence if there's no results in the top lines or if there's no results in the 3rd line. I mean I guess out of these two the latter would be easier to accept, but I believe Pulju's playing style should turn to points in the top lines. However, I'm not sure what will happen in the 3rd line especially if this is the best they will get from Turris and if Pulju will have trouble scoring goals himself.

Reactions: PulYou

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I´m not arguing for Puljujärvi to take his spot but to have Kassian playing first line minutes is nothing but just wrong. You can have different strengths etc, but the thing is that Kassian is not good enough if a team is trying to achieve anything in the NHL.

I'm pretty sure there would be someone else instead of Kassian if his salary wasn't as high. It's a big contract Holland himself signed and Tippett probably played a part in it too. Maybe they feel it doesn't look good if Kassian ends up playing in the bottom lines. Or maybe they are hoping Seattle will take his contract if they can make him look good on paper.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Move JP up the first line and bring Kassian down, thanks.
How many chances did JP have tonight? I’m not sure why everyone is so hell bent on promoting him when he hasn’t done anything. Kass looked good in the 3rd and had the best 5 on 5 chance we’ve had in?? Can’t remember it’s been that long.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
How many chances did JP have tonight? I’m not sure why everyone is so hell bent on promoting him when he hasn’t done anything. Kass looked good in the 3rd and had the best 5 on 5 chance we’ve had in?? Can’t remember it’s been that long.

Kassian hasn't done f*** all aside from hitting a post.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think it's wanting to promote Puljujarvi and more...demote Kassian cause he's sucked for a long time now. Even if he had a good chance tonight. He has still sucked.

Reactions: McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
We’re 5 games in and no ones done really anything. It’s not just kass. This is a player who had 15 even strength goals last year.

Cool. Still hasn't done jack shit since the play-in series. God awful this game once again aside from hitting a post.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Cool. Still hasn't done jack shit since the play-in series. God awful this game once again aside from hitting a post.
The list of players who have done anything since the play in series can be counted on one hand by a 1 1/2 year old. This isn’t unique to kassian. I have way more faith in kassian than JP. JP still isn’t handling the puck very well or making good plays with it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The list of players who have done anything since the play in series can be counted on one hand by a 1 1/2 year old. This isn’t unique to kassian. I have way more faith in kassian than JP. JP still isn’t handling the puck very well or making good plays with it.
Kassian has been shit since he signed his bloated contract though, it hasn't just been since the playin. Maybe not Puljujarvi up there but Kassian doesn't deserve a lick of top 6 time and hasn't in a long while.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That hit on Marner was a beauty, glad to see him pick up a point on the PP goal.

Maybe keep him on the top unit Tippett.

Really good game by Jesse. Thunderous hit, more good backchecking, making simple north south safe play to move puck north consistently, always between own goal and puck. he did yeoman work and I really liked his positioning and play on the winning Drai goal, glad he got the assist there, he deserved it. Special outing. I think the points maybe harder to come by then when he first got here, but the world he's doing is bound to get him toi, and looks all over. he's doing what the needs to do. Made some deft plays too, set up somebody in first period on a nice hands move.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Really good game by Jesse. Thunderous hit, more good backchecking, making simple north south safe play to move puck north consistently, always between own goal and puck. he did yeoman work and I really liked his positioning and play on the winning Drai goal, glad he got the assist there, he deserved it. Special outing. I think the points maybe harder to come by then when he first got here, but the world he's doing is bound to get him toi, and looks all over. he's doing what the needs to do. Made some deft plays too, set up somebody in first period on a nice hands move.
Sounds like there might be reliable third liner coming?
Or more in time.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Draisaitl has been a beast defensively this year at 5on5.

I think his goal differential is like 6/1 so far or something like that.

Solid game by JP, wish he would assert himself physically more often.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Draisaitl has been a beast defensively this year at 5on5.

I think his goal differential is like 6/1 so far or something like that.

Solid game by JP, wish he would assert himself physically more often.
To be honest for me watching him now in contrast to when he first got here I get thrown off by his physicality.
He is always looking to initiate contact, get in on the forcheck. That's why a few games other players have been going at him after the whistle.

It's coming more and more I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad