Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 9: 98 NO MORE! JERSEY NUMBER NERDS REJOICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Atta boy.

13 looks so much better on him already just seeing it on that bucket.

Man if he has a big season for us, then we’ll be a difficult team to match up against.

JP and Jones are our wild cards in my opinion. If both take a step, look out

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Hope he has a better time this go around. Would be huge to have another big, skilled forward to add to our group.

Reactions: RattsSSV

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I didn’t really care about him wearing 98 (although I do think it’s kind of ugly), but it makes sense. He’s starting new. New coach, new GM, new attitude, new number. I was as critical of him as anyone, but it really does sound like the time away has done wonders for his outlook on things. Hopefully he can have a big year

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I apologize if this has already been here, which is more than possible, but here's fresh comments from some teammates:

CAMP: Coach Tippett and teammates embracing Puljujarvi

Seems like a great welcome from the others and good attitude from Pulju. Words like this are promising, but of course the season hasn't started yet. I'm keeping my expectations modest at least at first, but it looks like pretty nice first days. I don't know if it was originally a Finnish or English article, but Pulju himself mentioned somewhere he's a big guy and he needs to be able to play physical hockey.

Said Kailer Yamamoto: "He just looks more ready. He looks bigger, stronger, faster and his shot is unbelievable. He's a phenomenal player and I'm sure he's going to shake some heads this year."

"His attitude is that he wants to be here and he wants to do what he can to be part of this group," Oilers Alternate Captain Ryan Nugent-Hopkins said. "You know how talented Jesse is. He's a big kid with all the talent in the world. We're excited to see him put it all together and be part of this group."

And added Darnell Nurse: "You look out there, he's the biggest guy on the ice and has the hands to go with it. He came back hungry to play a complete, 200-foot game. He was drafted in the position that he was drafted in because of what he could potentially become. If you see him out there, he's got all the tools and the right attitude. It's exciting for everyone to see Jesse back."

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I apologize if this has already been here, which is more than possible, but here's fresh comments from some teammates:

Seems like a great welcome from the others and a good attitude from Pulju. Words like this are promising, but of course the season hasn't started yet. I'm keeping my expectations modest at least at first, but it looks like pretty nice first days.

Said Kailer Yamamoto: "He just looks more ready. He looks bigger, stronger, faster and his shot is unbelievable. He's a phenomenal player and I'm sure he's going to shake some heads this year."

"His attitude is that he wants to be here and he wants to do what he can to be part of this group," Oilers Alternate Captain Ryan Nugent-Hopkins said. "You know how talented Jesse is. He's a big kid with all the talent in the world. We're excited to see him put it all together and be part of this group."

And added Darnell Nurse: "You look out there, he's the biggest guy on the ice and has the hands to go with it. He came back hungry to play a complete, 200-foot game. He was drafted in the position that he was drafted in because of what he could potentially become. If you see him out there, he's got all the tools and the right attitude. It's exciting for everyone to see Jesse back."
Weird, seems like some posters were more butthurt about Jesse "quitting" on the team than the actual team themselves.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Weird, seems like some posters were more butthurt about Jesse "quitting" on the team than the actual team themselves.

A part of this hockey thing is that fans react strongly and can be protective towards their own team. What I'm happy about is many of those fans seem to be ready to give Pulju a fair chance. After all he came back and I know he really wanted to come back to the Oilers. I personally was never worried about the team, they're professional and a lot of things have changed since Pulju left. I'm sure they also notice the trip to Finland was probably good for Pulju and thus eventually for the team too.

Reactions: snipes and Oilhawks

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I didn’t really care about him wearing 98 (although I do think it’s kind of ugly), but it makes sense. He’s starting new. New coach, new GM, new attitude, new number. I was as critical of him as anyone, but it really does sound like the time away has done wonders for his outlook on things. Hopefully he can have a big year

It’s almost like young people sometimes make mistakes and are capable of learning and growing from them.

Hope Pulju comes out stronger than ever, he seems like a really good kid and I’m hoping he finds chemistry with Turris right away.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Seems like a great welcome from the others and good attitude from Pulju. Words like this are promising, but of course the season hasn't started yet. I'm keeping my expectations modest at least at first, but it looks like pretty nice first days. I don't know if it was originally a Finnish or English article, but Pulju himself mentioned somewhere he's a big guy and he needs to be able to play physical hockey.

Sounds like everyone is excited to have him back and we’re all pulling for him to play his best hockey. He is a massive potential breakout candidate this year.

Reactions: Whyme

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'm really really hoping Jesse clicks with McDavid.

Draisaitl found his "guy" in RNH and Yamamoto. They just understand each other and they have the skills to work together. Now look at these boards, we are begging for the DRY line to be reunite and let the rest of the forwards figure themselves out.

It would be UNBELIEVABLY massive for this team and for McDavid if he found someone that could be stapled to his hip for the foreseeable future and have it be mutually beneficial. McDavid is hard to play with, he juts around the ice at sharp angles and in the offensive zone particularly he doesn't move/cycle in predictable patterns (part of the reason that makes him so good) and so far Draisaitl is really the only one who can work with that because he can think the game at the same level. Kassian and Maroon kinda work with him because they play such a simplistic game it makes life easy for 97 because he knows where they are at all times. But everyone else hasn't really shined next to Connor.

But hypothetically imagine if Jesse could become a top 6 winger who develops some real chemistry with McDavid. The speed could lead to frequent 2-1s, 3-2s, and if Puljujarvi could use his frame more that'd be step #1 in my opinion. Get in hard on the forecheck, lay a body, dig pucks out of the corner and then get to the net, thats what McDavid needs from him. That's a priority before finding someone who can do some fancy 5v5 passing with McDavid.

Regardless, developing a cheap top 6 forward from our prospect pool (Puljujarvi, Benson, Holloway) soon would be game changing for the team structure and outlook.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
I've always been a fan of Pulju's and felt he didn't get a fair shake his first time around. Glad to see he has been shown support by everyone on the club.

Here's to a great season for him and a chance to move up the lineup if so deserved.

Reactions: Whyme and snipes

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
"My English is better, and my communication with the coaches and players is different. You speak better, you play better," Puljujarvi said.

LOL to those who only blamed TMac, and attacked us that knew English and his attitude was the problem. You know who you are!!
Feels good to be proven right

Reporter:" Hey Jesse, did you work on English this summer?"
JP: "No"

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
"My English is better, and my communication with the coaches and players is different. You speak better, you play better," Puljujarvi said.

LOL to those who only blamed TMac, and attacked us that knew English and his attitude was the problem. You know who you are!!
Feels good to be proven right

Reporter:" Hey Jesse, did you work on English this summer?"
JP: "No"
No one attacked you :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad