Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 3: Hard times

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I actually thought he had a decent game. Could have scored a nice goal on a chance he started in the neutral zone.

Just has to show up for more shifts. Drive a play, throw a hit, get involved, do SOMETHING. Drake gets those chances because he does something on the third or fourth lines. Puljujarvi's excuse can't be that he doesn't get enough cherry time while not doing much with the time he does get.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Unfortunately it wasn't a great game by him. He had a good chance or two, and wasn't terrible, but it seems like until JP can find a way to stand out playing in the bottom 6, I don't think he'll ever get a chance in a scoring role, and I don't know if he's the type of player that's going to be able to thrive in that role.

It's unfortunate but Todd seems to think he needs to either be a line driver, or a bottom sixer. Don't know why being a top 6 complimentary player would be such a bad thing in his eyes though.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
TLDR In Puljujarvi's case, Finnish is about as far from English as it is from Non-European languages. It belongs to the Uralic / Finno-Ugric family and has very little in common with Indo-European languages. You might as well ask him to go play in China and learn Mandarin. It seems like he is grasping the language better than last year. I think his problems are more confidence and figuring out the NHL game in general.
The difference is that all Finnish citizens start to learn English at the age of 9 until *minimum* age 16, but the vast majority continue to do so until at least the age of 19, so almost 10 years of English on a fairly constant basis. Not to mention that all foreign TV shows and movies have subtitles, so everyone can hear native English, cf. eg. Germany, France, Italy, where all foreign shows are dubbed into local languages. The Germans and French have of course the advantage that they belong to the same language group as English, so it is fairly easy to learn English, if proper education exists.

But even with such hefty education, you cannot win them all. Some kids simply do not have the "language head".

Edit:
In this Finnish news article, JP's former teacher says that he received intensive special education for English in particular. And that he was very gifted with mathematics:
Opettajat kertovat – tällainen oli Jesse Puljujärvi koulussa: ”Valloittava persoona”

He passed primary school (age 16) with a grade of 7,6 / 10 (average), but did not continue with further education, which is extremely unusual in Finland! 87 % of all citizens continue to secondary education. 30 % of all citizens have tertiary education (Bachelor/Master/PhD).

Last edited:
Reactions: harpoon

Hydrodynamic

Nov 2, 2018
Right here
He actually didn't, he dropped out.
Not true. JP quit school at 15 after completing his compulsory education. 99% of people continue to some form of secondary (and tertiary) education but he didn't. Clearly he was banking on his future hockey career. As it happens, I am originally from the same town than JP is, and we had the same English teacher albeit almost 30 years apart. Said English teacher is also a family friend, and she says that even as a kid Jesse "knew" he was going to play in the NHL one day, and when she was trying to use that to motivate him to focus on learning English his reply was that once he got to the NHL, the team was going to give him an interpreter to help him. Which was just plain stupid of him (and his parents).

Having said that, as someone further up in this thread pointed out, learning English is not as easy for a Finn as is is for a speaker of some other Germanic or even Romance language, particularly if you brain is not wired for learning languages. And Jesse's clearly isn't, because otherwise he would speak English much better as a vast majority of young Finns do even with his limited 9-year education.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He's going to be sent down when Rattie returns (or at least he should be) and it'll probably be the best for him long term. He might not like it but I hope he uses it as fuel to be better going forward and earn his keep.
Let him get prime offensive minutes down there and build up his offensive confidence.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
So how was Jesse?
Did he do his dirtywork?
Good plays etc. ?
Use of body?
He was baaad. Threw the puck away early in the game causing an odd man rush. Didn't do a heck of a lot positive.
Kid struggles with the pace of the game. He clearly cant process it fast enough.
But its not his fault. Its ,McLellan, Drais…..etc. And players are mean too. MacD refuses to pass to him on pp, Cags steals his spot on top line...etc.
Kid has no chance with all this bad stuff happening to him

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He's going to be sent down when Rattie returns (or at least he should be) and it'll probably be the best for him long term. He might not like it but I hope he uses it as fuel to be better going forward and earn his keep.
Let him get prime offensive minutes down there and build up his offensive confidence.

I doubt that. From what I read he had a pretty solid game and he's got plenty of potential left compared to some others in the roster. Obviously he could've scored at least a point or two, but in any case the main thing was he had a reasonable comeback. His linemates don't help much with collecting points.

EJ gave him 6, which was the grade over half of the team got and more than his linemates Strome and Lucic were given.

#98 Jesse Puljujarvi, 6. Looked solid in his return after a four-game stint in the pressbox. A couple of rusty moments early, but soon got those long legs moving to good effect. Sent Strome and Lucic away 2-on-1 with a fine outlet, and set up Strome again for a second good look later that same shift. His best moment came in the third when he drove hard to enter the zone, laid the puck off to Strome but continued his drive to the net front where he very nearly deposited the return feed from Lucic, forcing one of Cam Ward’s best stops.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I doubt that. From what I read he had a pretty solid game and he's got plenty of potential left compared to some others in the roster. Obviously he could've scored at least a point or two, but in any case the main thing was he had a reasonable comeback. His linemates don't help much with collecting points.

EJ gave him 6, which was the grade over half of the team got and more than his linemates Strome and Lucic were given.

#98 Jesse Puljujarvi, 6. Looked solid in his return after a four-game stint in the pressbox. A couple of rusty moments early, but soon got those long legs moving to good effect. Sent Strome and Lucic away 2-on-1 with a fine outlet, and set up Strome again for a second good look later that same shift. His best moment came in the third when he drove hard to enter the zone, laid the puck off to Strome but continued his drive to the net front where he very nearly deposited the return feed from Lucic, forcing one of Cam Ward’s best stops.

He was fine and he had that one Grade A scoring chance on the pass from Strome but there's no place for him right now with the way others are playing when Rattie returns. It doesn't mean that he won't get a call up at some point but right now, Cagguila, Chiasson and Rattie will be the top 3 RWers until their play dictates a benching. Yamamoto has been better as well.

He'll be better off playing in offensive situations in the AHL, he's just not going to get that opportunity in Edmonton right now.

Reactions: frag2

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He was fine and he had that one Grade A scoring chance on the pass from Strome but there's no place for him right now with the way others are playing when Rattie returns. It doesn't mean that he can't get a call up at some point but right now, Cagguila, Chiasson and Rattie will be the top 3 RWers until their play dictates a benching.

He'll be better off playing in offensive situations in the AHL, he's just not going to get that opportunity in Edmonton right now.

I understand that, but I just feel people are making too quick assumptions. After all the purpose is to make the team as strong as possible, and also look ahead to the future. If you look at the chances players like Yamamoto and Lucic have gotten I feel it'd be stupid to write Jesse off with just about half an hour in the top6. I also wouldn't be so sure out of Lucic, Caggiula, Yamo and Strome Pulju will be the worst player after a few games. If I was sure about the AHL I'd be more fine with that, but I'm sceptical about how much good it would do to Jesse now.

He was the best scorer of the team around this time last season (while he played in the top6) so I am pretty sure they aren't ready to send him down after just one game, which wasn't too bad at all. But whatever happens I'll live with it.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
He didn't graduate school.

Also, English is a requirement in Finland. Finnish people know English.

If he completed his compulsory credits then he graduated. English is probably a requirement just as French is in Canada but 95% of kids who took French for 9 years in English provinces can't speak a lick of it, myself included.

Reactions: Oilhawks

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
If he completed his compulsory credits then he graduated. English is probably a requirement just as French is in Canada but 95% of kids who took French for 9 years in English provinces can't speak a lick of it, myself included.

Yeah, he did the grades that were required by the law. I think he made the right decision with skipping e.g. the high school as it's hard to imagine Pulju could've been able to do that without it affecting his hockey training, but it'd been wise to work more on the English part. After all it's him that's suffered the most because of it, but the pieces are coming together and he definitely understands enough so that's a lesser of a problem now.

Reactions: McNuge

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's because most of us realized how useless French actually is and did the bare minimum just to pass.

Maybe JP thought he'd never really need English as he was going to be a professional athlete and that would carry him through life.

Reactions: McNuge

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I understand that, but I just feel people are making too quick assumptions. After all the purpose is to make the team as strong as possible, and also look ahead to the future. If you look at the chances players like Yamamoto and Lucic have gotten I feel it'd be stupid to write Jesse off with just about half an hour in the top6. I also wouldn't be so sure out of Lucic, Caggiula, Yamo and Strome Pulju will be the worst player after a few games. If I was sure about the AHL I'd be more fine with that, but I'm sceptical about how much good it would do to Jesse now.

He was the best scorer of the team around this time last season (while he played in the top6) so I am pretty sure they aren't ready to send him down after just one game, which wasn't too bad at all. But whatever happens I'll live with it.

It's not his fault necessarily. Others are just playing better and Rattie isn't going to lose his job because of injury. Marody deserves a longer look as well.

It's not the worst thing in the world for him to be sent down. He's still a big part of the future (or at least he better be), it's just that others are earning their spots and are better options right now. Maybe that changes later in the season and if that happens, Jesse should get his shot.

Reactions: ujju2

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Not true. JP quit school at 15 after completing his compulsory education. 99% of people continue to some form of secondary (and tertiary) education but he didn't. Clearly he was banking on his future hockey career. As it happens, I am originally from the same town than JP is, and we had the same English teacher albeit almost 30 years apart. Said English teacher is also a family friend, and she says that even as a kid Jesse "knew" he was going to play in the NHL one day, and when she was trying to use that to motivate him to focus on learning English his reply was that once he got to the NHL, the team was going to give him an interpreter to help him. Which was just plain stupid of him (and his parents).

That is both hilarious and sad at the same time.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It's not his fault necessarily. Others are just playing better and Rattie isn't going to lose his job because of injury.

It's not the worst thing in the world for him to be sent down. He's still a big part of the future (or at least he better be), it's just that others are earning their spots and are better options right now. Maybe that changes later in the season and if that happens, Jesse should get his shot.

But are the others really playing better with a sample size that's long enough? Is it really enough to give Pulju only one game with Lucic and Strome and send him down after a solid game and obviously outperforming them? And to have e.g. Yamo about 120 minutes in the top6 and Pulju just over a quarter of that and send him down before even giving him a real look there.

I understand life is not always fair, but when you consider the level of the prospect he was/is, what a role he had last season at the same time of the year and how he came back with a solid game after sitting for four games I'd be quite stunned if that was the only chance he got. It's naturally not my choice but I just don't understand the Oilers if that one game was the one and only chance after coming back.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
That's because most of us realized how useless French actually is and did the bare minimum just to pass.

Maybe JP thought he'd never really need English as he was going to be a professional athlete and that would carry him through life.

French is actually pretty useful, maybe not so much out west, but in Ontario I wish I actually paid attention it would have helped quite a bit learning other languages and getting any type of government job, or most jobs tbh. You are right though, he should have learned it growing up, especially if he knew his plan was coming to the NHL.

His English is improving quite a bit, judging just by interviews and his teammates talking about it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But are the others really playing better with a sample size that's long enough? Is it really enough to give Pulju only one game with Lucic and Strome and send him down after a solid game and obviously outperforming them? And to have e.g. Yamo about 120 minutes in the top6 and Pulju just over a quarter of that and send him down before even giving him a real look there.

I understand life is not always fair, but when you consider the level of the prospect he was/is, what a role he had last season at the same time of the year and how he came back with a solid game after sitting for four games I'd be quite stunned if that was the only chance he got. It's naturally not my choice but I just don't understand the Oilers if that one game was the one and only chance after coming back.
I'd argue that yeah he was fine but after 4 games sat he didn't seem to have the hustle you would expect, the hunger from a guy wanting to prove himself. Which is fine it happens to players. But I would say, as you have said, confidence is major for him. So send him down to regain confidence and hopefully dominate the AHL, and then call back up a playing well l and confident Puljujarvi and put him in the top 6.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The question is, who do you bench when Rattie returns? Cagguila has 4 goals in 4 games, Chiasson has 5 goals in 6 games, should Rattie stay in the press box when healthy just because he got injured? He's not playing on the 4th line so forget that.

Here's the thing, would you prefer that he play on the 3rd line with two players who have contributed nothing at even strength this season with 2nd unit PP time with all the 2nd/3rd liners or in the AHL with top line offensive minutes and top unit PP time so he can build offensive confidence?

Chances are that Cagguila, Chiasson and Rattie aren't all going to keep producing at a high level, it's quite likely actually, so he or Yamamoto should get their chance again but right now, there's no reason to put any of those guys in the press box.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The question is, who do you bench when Rattie returns? Cagguila has 4 goals in 4 games, Chiasson has 5 goals in 6 games, should Rattie stay in the press box when healthy just because he got injured? He's not playing on the 4th line so forget that.

Here's the thing, would you prefer that he play on the 3rd line with two players who have contributed nothing at even strength this season with 2nd unit PP time with all the 2nd/3rd liners or in the AHL with top line offensive minutes and top unit PP time so he can build offensive confidence?

Chances are that Cagguila, Chiasson and Rattie aren't all going to keep producing at a high level, it's quite likely actually, so he or Yamamoto should get their chance again but right now, there's no reason to put any of those guys in the press box.
It all depends on the message when sending them down I think too.

They need to make it clear that "You aren't playing bad and we aren't sending you down cause you have no value. We have a couple guys going thru hot streak and we want you guys to be able to play good hockey down there, gain confidence and be ready when the hot streaks end"

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Having said that, as someone further up in this thread pointed out, learning English is not as easy for a Finn as is is for a speaker of some other Germanic or even Romance language, particularly if you brain is not wired for learning languages. And Jesse's clearly isn't, because otherwise he would speak English much better as a vast majority of young Finns do even with his limited 9-year education.

Man, if this is a legit story, then JP is either lazy or just not that bright. Just assumes an interpreter will be provided?

That’s a disappointing mindset to have

Reactions: harpoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad