Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 3: Hard times

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's the main reason he's been in the press box this year.

He was committing so many terrible turnovers that turned into odd man rushes the other way this season and he was bleeding goals against because of it.

How many goals were a result of his turnovers? Not trying to sarcastic or an ass. Legit curious.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yup...I have had posters jump all over me and call me a troll when I dared to suggest that Jesses poor english all these years later was squarely on the player.

I will say it again...if a foreign player knows that his goal is the NHL then if that player is really dedicated and committed to that goal then he KNOWS that english is a priority. According to an ESL friend of mine she says it takes about 6 monts at 3-5 hours a week to learn english. Jesse should have done this at least a year before he was drafted.
Thats approx 4 years ago and yet here we are with Jesse still struggling to communicate effectively in english.

Jesse has no excuses...none, zero, nadda...on why his english is still so poor. Its indefensible yet posters will make up lame excuses and call you names for suggesting the obvious.

So you being called racist just fits with the SJW mindset thats so pervasive these days. No personal accountability required...just point the finger at something/someone else and yell down anyone that dares to challenge that flawed perspective.

Crazy s***.

Great victim complex you have going on there.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yup...I have had posters jump all over me and call me a troll when I dared to suggest that Jesses poor english all these years later was squarely on the player.

I will say it again...if a foreign player knows that his goal is the NHL then if that player is really dedicated and committed to that goal then he KNOWS that english is a priority. According to an ESL friend of mine she says it takes about 6 monts at 3-5 hours a week to learn english. Jesse should have done this at least a year before he was drafted.
Thats approx 4 years ago and yet here we are with Jesse still struggling to communicate effectively in english.

Jesse has no excuses...none, zero, nadda...on why his english is still so poor. Its indefensible yet posters will make up lame excuses and call you names for suggesting the obvious.

So you being called racist just fits with the SJW mindset thats so pervasive these days. No personal accountability required...just point the finger at something/someone else and yell down anyone that dares to challenge that flawed perspective.

Crazy s***.
That's not universal lol

Some people are just not born linguistic. I lived it Montreal between age 17-28 and I'm 33 now. I still struggle with French regardless of how much time I put into it.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's not universal lol

Some people are just not born linguistic. I lived it Montreal between age 17-28 and still struggled with French regardless of how much time I put into it.

I never said it was universal. I suggested that it was typical. Even if it takes him twice as long then commit to it and do it.
He clearly hasnt done that.

Also...ypu atre talking about causually learning a language...how is that even close to the same thing? It isnt a valid comparison.
If you were potentially going to make millions of dollars and learning french was critically important then most people would immerse themselves in learning the language. They would make it a priority.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I never said it was universal. I suggested that it was typical. Even if it takes him twice as long then commit to it and do it.
He clearly hasnt done that.

Also...ypu atre talking about causually learning a language...how is that even close to the same thing? It isnt a valid comparison.
If you were potentially going to make millions of dollars and learning french was critically important then most people would immerse themselves in learning the language. They would make it a priority.
If you listen to Pulju, his English is progressing pretty fine for someone who came to Canada with zero English

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If you listen to Pulju, his English is progressing pretty fine for someone who came to Canada with zero English

For you to post this tells me that you didnt bother reading my post. Either that or you need to read it again.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
For you to post this tells me that you didnt bother reading my post. Either that or you need to read it again.
I fully understood your post. It just comes off as, "if your English isn't good, be better at it somehow". You can't force that kind of stuff on someone who's first language isn't English.

Your job doesn't have to involve many millions to put another language as a priority. I couldn't land a job at McDonalds and needed French in order to get into college. French was definitely a priority for me at one point in time. I'm only saying this because I understand Pulju situation. He's actually doing pretty good with English

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Great victim complex you have going on there.

It's not though. An innocent enough post by myself regarding his English, get called out by these defenders of his with myriad of names. For the record too, that was before he even skated a single game with the Oil. Just immediately post draft

I fully understood your post. It just comes off as, "if your English isn't good, be better at it somehow". You can't force that kind of stuff on someone who's first language isn't English.

Your job doesn't have to involve many millions to put another language as a priority. I couldn't land a job at McDonalds and needed French in order to get into college. French was definitely a priority for me at one point in time. I'm only saying this because I understand Pulju situation. He's actually doing pretty good with English

According to McD and countless others, it seems like it's still not good enough I guess :dunno:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's not though. An innocent enough post by myself regarding his English, get called out by these defenders of his with myriad of names.

According to McD and countless others, it seems like it's still not good enough I guess :dunno:

I was quoting another poster and his convoluted rant.

“Countless others” :laugh:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So saying he had ample time for 4 consecutive games is pretty far from the truth.
I didn’t just make the numbers up, you can look at them yourself.

Against the Jets he played 7:43 at 5v5 with strome, but in the latter half of the game played 6:34 with drai and 1:39 with McDavid.

For the Bruins he played 7:30 with drai, 2:09 with McDavid and 1:13 with strome

For the preds it was 8:39 with drai, 1:51 with strome and :49 with McDavid (about a minute with brodziak too)

Pens game he played 6:37 with drai and then basically got benched once chiasson was moved up.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I didn’t just make the numbers up, you can look at them yourself.

Against the Jets he played 7:43 at 5v5 with strome, but in the latter half of the game played 6:34 with drai and 1:39 with McDavid.

For the Bruins he played 7:30 with drai, 2:09 with McDavid and 1:13 with strome

For the preds it was 8:39 with drai, 1:51 with strome and :49 with McDavid (about a minute with brodziak too)

Pens game he played 6:37 with drai and then basically got benched once chiasson was moved up.

So about half of each game if you consider a 2nd liner would normally play 16-18 minutes a game. Not a single full game with Drai as a consistent linemate. Thanks for proving yourself wrong.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I was quoting another poster and his convoluted rant.

“Countless others” :laugh:

There were other people that have said his English was gonna hurt him or pointed towards that. Keep denying that it hasn't hampered with development.

I dont get you guys. It's not like posters here want him to fail. It's just hes got glaring issues that he seemingly hasn't worked on and still WIP.
Of course calling out his short comings apparently isn't something we're allowed to do here for some reason

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So about half of each game if you consider a 2nd liner would normally play 16-18 minutes a game. Not a single full game with Drai as a consistent linemate. Thanks for proving yourself wrong.

His most frequent center in all but one of the games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: frag2

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
His most frequent center in all but one of the games. Damn man. I can’t tell if you’re deliberately obtuse or just do it with me to be a prick.

Every few months I take you off my ignore list and almost immediately I’m reminded why I shouldn’t bother with you.
6 mins is not a lot considering Drai plays 20 mins a game this season while playing on the 1st PP unit

Reactions: nabob and Aerrol

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
That's not universal lol

Some people are just not born linguistic. I lived it Montreal between age 17-28 and I'm 33 now. I still struggle with French regardless of how much time I put into it.
Been living in Montreal since 2006. Married a local.

Still can't speak french beyond a 3 year old level. And I was a straight A student in school.

Learning a new language is not easy for a lot of people.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Aerrol

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Still can't speak french beyond a 3 year old level. And I was a straight A student in school.

Absolutely. I think some people are underestimating the difficulties with learning a new language, even if you are able to immerse in it on a daily basis. Some people are simply better at learning languages than others. The girlfriend was able to learn Mandarin within 6 months of being in Taiwan but she also spoke Cantonese fluently with her family, which is not easy (I know many Mandarin speakers and Cantonese speakers that cannot learn the other language) but definitely closer than Finnish is to English. A friend of mine has mastered English far beyond what most native speakers will come close to in their lives and only started learning English at around 8 years of age having come to Canada with his Mandarin speaking family.

I took French up to and including high levels of it in High School and can hardly speak it to this day. Learning German in university for a couple of semesters and my own personal study of it through exposure to film, literature etc and using an app to bolster has made my grasp of German much better than French but this is with less time overall spent on it and as an older individual (learning additional languages at a young age is definitely much easier). For me, it just clicked. Perhaps it has a lot to do with greater interest in the language. Once you get to more complex forms of any language you can start to get bogged down and stall in learning it, which is where I'm at now. I was also a straight A student but languages are a different beast.

To boot, French and German are both Indo-European and English has been heavily influenced by both. Old English is somewhat of a stone's throw away from Old High German (largely in part due to Anglo-Saxon invasion and subsequent influences of Germanic populations in England over the centuries). Latin and Romance languages had a vast influence on English as well (Norman invasion, French imperial influences before the rise of the British empire etc).

TLDR In Puljujarvi's case, Finnish is about as far from English as it is from Non-European languages. It belongs to the Uralic / Finno-Ugric family and has very little in common with Indo-European languages. You might as well ask him to go play in China and learn Mandarin. It seems like he is grasping the language better than last year. I think his problems are more confidence and figuring out the NHL game in general.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
His most frequent center in all but one of the games. Damn man. I can’t tell if you’re deliberately obtuse or just do it with me to be a prick.

Every few months I take you off my ignore list and almost immediately I’m reminded why I shouldn’t bother with you.

Guess we have different definitions of “ample time”.

6-7 minutes a game for 4 games isn’t ample time.

31 minutes played out of 240+ total minutes in the games is not ample.

RNH has played ample time with McDavid
Lucic has played ample time with Strome
Puljujarvi played ample time with Strome before getting promoted.
Larsson and Klefbom play ample time together.

Puljujarvi hasn’t played ample time with Draisaitl.

To say I’m being obtuse or a prick is uncalled for.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
There were other people that have said his English was gonna hurt him or pointed towards that. Keep denying that it hasn't hampered with development.

I dont get you guys. It's not like posters here want him to fail. It's just hes got glaring issues that he seemingly hasn't worked on and still WIP.
Of course calling out his short comings apparently isn't something we're allowed to do here for some reason

Oh didn’t realize you were counting posters on HF in with McDavid.

I never said it hasn’t hampered with his development. I’ve said all along that if his English was better it would make things easier.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
6 mins is not a lot considering Drai plays 20 mins a game this season while playing on the 1st PP unit

Drai probably plays 6 minutes or more a game with McDavid. Does that mean he has ample playing time with Connor? Nope.

The truth is that JP didn’t get ample time with Drai at all due to reasons I clearly explained earlier (Rattie injury, Chiasson promoted, special teams play).

Reactions: oilWILDcountry

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Do you speak it at work or at home? A few of my sons friends are bilingual (Spanish and English) and both appear to be able to speak properly in both languages. IMO it seems to be easier to pick up as a child.

Reactions: nabob

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Do you speak it at work or at home? A few of my sons friends are bilingual (Spanish and English) and both appear to be able to speak properly in both languages. IMO it seems to be easier to pick up as a child.
Oh I started french when I was 13 at Vernon Barford. I got an A.

None of it was useful or relevant.

I read to my daughter in French and Korean.

Speak a biiiit at work.

Truth be told, i am 99% sure AR glasses will soon just have google translate on subtitles in a few years. I don't think learning a language will be much of a barrier for anything soon enough.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
His english seems workable now. Don't see that as the big barrier anymore.

The greater problem, and it's starting to resemble Nail Yakupov, is that he's a complete non-entity most of the time. I believe he's a smarter player than Nail but you don't need good linemates to do something - anything - with the occasional shift. He's just there.

EDIT: Also, I don't want to tell the mods their business, but letting a poster go off on an inane and stupid tangent about SJW culture seems like a bad look for HFBoards.

Reactions: harpoon and Aerrol

ursus maritimus

Jan 8, 2017
I just wonder how he graduated from school. There are differences in people, but I think he is just lazy.

Laine speaks english

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino