Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 3: Hard times

Status
Not open for further replies.

H2OFroster

Casual ice hockey follower
Nov 29, 2017
Finland
Last thread reached post limit, so time for a new one.

Jesse is rumored to be back in lineup for tonights game against Blackhawks. He was in Strome's line in practice, which is kind of good I guess. I recall he liked playing with him so we'll see what happens.
His season has not been easy at all. I've been hopeful that he would break out, but whether that happens is up to him.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Last thread reached post limit, so time for a new one.

Jesse is rumored to be back in lineup for tonights game against Blackhawks. He was in Strome's line in practice, which is kind of good I gguess. I recall he liked playing with him so we'll see what happens.

Be afraid young Jesse. Know well that 1 mistake and your night will be over, and maybe a few more games as well. Please look away when Lucic is out there giving the puck away constantly in our zone, your mind will not be able to handle reasoning out the inconsistency of accountability.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Production is sure to come with Puljujarvi playing with Ryan Strome.

He now has astronomically greater probability of helping the club actually playing on it, vs sitting on the bench.

jk aside Pulju has NEVER hurt this club. Even in worst moments he was basically what Strome has been this year. A low event player. This is a defensively aware kid that doesn't get nearly enough credit for showing some 200ft game at a very young age and being strong enough to be impactful in own zone and NZ.

I'll get to something else here because I believe in real, not manipulated accountability.

What kind of message is being sent here?

Pulju predictably only gets out of jail after the team loses a game. Who didn't see that coming. But that's weird. We're telling the player he needs to watch to learn some things sitting in the stands, to watch, or maybe even to rachet up his intensity. We have a coach saying he's scratched for these 4 games due to concerns about his play. But really Pulju has been benched the last 2-3 games due to the team winning. HIs onset back in the lineup due to the team losing.

So that the message is confused. Is the Pulju scratch timeframe team related or player related?

I'd be confused too if I was Pulju.

I find it inappropriate that his sentence was extended due to the team winning. This is not how to prioritize a top prospect. You make room for him.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Well hopefully he can play like we know he can, and the coach doesn't bench him for his first little mistake after being scratched for a week.

If not I'm sure he'll be in the ahl as soon as rattie is ready

Reactions: GameChanger

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto

He now has astronomically greater probability of helping the club actually playing on it, vs sitting on the bench.

jk aside Pulju has NEVER hurt this club. Even in worst moments he was basically what Strome has been this year. A low event player. This is a defensively aware kid that doesn't get nearly enough credit for showing some 200ft game at a very young age and being strong enough to be impactful in own zone and NZ.

I'll get to something else here because I believe in real, not manipulated accountability.

Pulju predictably only gets out of jail after the team loses a game. Who didn't see that coming. But that's weird. We're telling the player he needs to watch to learn some things sitting in the stands, to watch, or maybe even to rachet up his intensity. We have a coach saying he's scratched for these 4 games due to concerns about his play. But really Pulju has been benched the last 2-3 games due to the team winning. HIs onset back in the lineup due to the team losing.

So that the message is confused. Is the Pulju scratch timeframe team related or player related?

I find it inappropriate that his sentence was extended due to the team winning. This is not how to prioritize a top prospect. You make room for him.

It can be both. There are many factors that dictate a line-up, and something has to be said for not breaking what's not broke...

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Puljujarvi has been given plenty of rope within games to make a mistake. Problem is it’s never just one mistake.
Exactly. It's also tied to his overall intensity. Seen way too many games where he does absolutely nothing in the game. If offense isn't coming, than do something to get noticed.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
It can be both. There are many factors that dictate a line-up, and something has to be said for not breaking what's not broke...
Its a pretty hard and inconceivable message for any young kid that Strome, Khaira, Garrison, Benning etc are in the lineup night after night and he isn't while the coach preaches accountability. just saying.

A prized pick deserves more of a chance than Pulju is getting, and he deserves more of a topsix chance. He got 3 games on the Drai line, not more than that. I don't know why since the line was doing well enough.

Reactions: oilWILDcountry

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Whoever said JP doesn't make mistakes is out too lunch.

In every game I have watch he has panicked and turned it over. Passing has been bad etc. He's young and it takes time to get used to the NHL I get it. I have patience for him but let's be honest here he hasn't played very well.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
A prized pick deserves more of a chance than Pulju is getting, and he deserves more of a topsix chance. He got 3 games on the Drai line, not more than that. I don't know why since the line was doing well enough.

I'm staying out of the discussion this time, but as I missed most of the games I've got my info mainly through this board and highlights. Someone wrote earlier that Pulju and Drai had 3 games together, but I've been in the impression there was just one whole game. Other than that it was just parts of a game like the 1st period in Pulju's last one, but please correct if I'm wrong.

Reactions: Aerrol

space321

May 11, 2011
Exactly. It's also tied to his overall intensity. Seen way too many games where he does absolutely nothing in the game. If offense isn't coming, than do something to get noticed.

This is completely false. This narrative emerged after Jesse got scratched, as a way for fans to explain the coach's inexplicable lineup decisions.

space321

May 11, 2011
I'm staying out of the discussion this time, but as I missed most of the games I've got my info mainly through this board and highlights. Someone wrote earlier that Pulju and Drai had 3 games together, but I've been in the impression there was just one whole game. Other than that it was just parts of a game like the 1st period in Pulju's last one, but please correct if I'm wrong.

Draisaitl gets moved to McDavid's line sometimes when we're losing, and also gets PP1 time which is like 80% of the PP. So Jesse really doesn't spend over 10 min/game with Draisaitl.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This is completely false. This narrative emerged after Jesse got scratched, as a way for fans to explain the coach's inexplicable lineup decisions.

It's only a narrative because you want to see it like that. JP showed a lot of promise in the preseason; none of that translated.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

True... despite winning, there had to be a few guys not playing up to standard. I mean we have so many tweener wingers, why not put them all on high alert. 5 of you 6 will be in the lineup, work hard to make sure you aren't the one left out. Play well, you'll get two games in straight... play well again? Ok, you've earned 3.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It's only a narrative because you want to see it like that. JP showed a lot of promise in the preseason; none of that translated.
Kind of like Rattie. Best player in the preseason. Faded after the season started.

Reactions: frag2

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Very interesting comments from McDavid on Oilers Now just now:
- says its hard to get the message across as his English still isnt very good
- says Jesse gets it more than he lets on though

Cannot believe it is still a language barrier

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Very interesting comments from McDavid on Oilers Now just now:
- says its hard to get the message across as his English still isnt very good
- says Jesse gets it more than he lets on though

Cannot believe it is still a language barrier

Spector said the same thing. He definately understands what’s being said in English these days.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Draisaitl gets moved to McDavid's line sometimes when we're losing, and also gets PP1 time which is like 80% of the PP. So Jesse really doesn't spend over 10 min/game with Draisaitl.

Yeah, I just got the impression there was only one complete game, and I'm not even 100% sure if that was the whole game (without PP naturally).

If I made the calculations correctly Drai and Pulju have averaged some 3:45 per game together. I suppose there's a way to check this directly somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->