Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 3: Hard times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Its a pretty hard and inconceivable message for any young kid that Strome, Khaira, Garrison, Benning etc are in the lineup night after night and he isn't while the coach preaches accountability. just saying.

A prized pick deserves more of a chance than Pulju is getting, and he deserves more of a topsix chance. He got 3 games on the Drai line, not more than that. I don't know why since the line was doing well enough.

I agree, you want him to play well but give him no chance to develop chemistry. Its terrible coaching and terrible for confidence.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Exactly. It's also tied to his overall intensity. Seen way too many games where he does absolutely nothing in the game. If offense isn't coming, than do something to get noticed.
Come on man.Its never his fault. The high draft pick fans (pick any high draft pick you want) always find blame/excuses why its not the kids fault. Its the HF way. Who cares how he plays. Hes getting screwed.
Of course actual NHL'rs and lower draft picks don't get this same treatment. Because after all, they are …..duh, lower draftpicks and actual NHLèrs

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
It's only a narrative because you want to see it like that. JP showed a lot of promise in the preseason; none of that translated.

Ya but in the games he played the team wasn't playing well, I don't think he was the reason for any of that. And I don't recall him being solely responsible for any goals against.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, I just got the impression there was only one complete game, and I'm not even 100% sure if that was the whole game (without PP naturally).

If I made the calculations correctly Drai and Pulju have averaged some 3:45 per game together. I suppose there's a way to check this directly somewhere.
He spent significant time with draisaitl for 4 straight games. Worked his way up to that spot in the first of those games and worked his way out of that spot in the 4th game.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
I am quite sure that production at this point is the last thing Oilers want to see from Pulju.

They want to see Pulju using his power and long stick in boards. Really use, not acting it.
Also positioning and making himself available.
And more secure with puck.

When he gets these things going he will produce and whole line will.

I just pray Pulju got some anger from sitting.

space321

May 11, 2011
Come on man.Its never his fault. The high draft pick fans (pick any high draft pick you want) always find blame/excuses why its not the kids fault. Its the HF way. Who cares how he plays. Hes getting screwed.
Of course actual NHL'rs and lower draft picks don't get this same treatment. Because after all, they are …..duh, lower draftpicks and actual NHLèrs

I've seen some stupid shit on here, and this is definitely up there.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Very interesting comments from McDavid on Oilers Now just now:
- says its hard to get the message across as his English still isnt very good
- says Jesse gets it more than he lets on though

Cannot believe it is still a language barrier

Wow. And people called me racist and xenophobic in the 2016 draft thread when I said I think his English is gonna hurt his development.

That second bit is puzzling. So is it that he understands the instructions but wont do them?

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Wow. And people called me racist and xenophobic in the 2016 draft thread when I said I think his English is gonna hurt his development.

That second bit is puzzling. So is it that he understands the instructions but wont do them?

I don't think those people understood what xenophobic meant

Reactions: frag2

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He spent significant time with draisaitl for 4 straight games. Worked his way up to that spot in the first of those games and worked his way out of that spot in the 4th game.

Okay. Having just one period wasn't much, but I understand the leash is tight and sometimes things need to be changed. At least they scored a goal in that period and according to EJ Pulju was strong off the puck and the change was surprising, so it couldn't be so bad that he can't deserve another chance one day.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Coach TMac from his own words on what he expects from Pulju tonight in case anyone was confused:
- Want him to recover and have a good night
- Wants him to use his tools and have a positive impact on the game even if he doesn’t score
- Hoping he has a solid night
- Acknoeledges that anytime a player sits out his confidence gets dinged
- As a coaching staff you have to be careful not to over analyze and over video with Pulju as he sits out cause you can end up making him even more confused
- Says Pulju was sitting with coaching staff upstairs so they can watch the game above from a slower place and analyze situations while not having to be in stressful situations. Sounds like Manny Viveiros got that assignment. Hopes it translates on the ice tonight. I do too.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its a pretty hard and inconceivable message for any young kid that Strome, Khaira, Garrison, Benning etc are in the lineup night after night and he isn't while the coach preaches accountability. just saying.

A prized pick deserves more of a chance than Pulju is getting, and he deserves more of a topsix chance. He got 3 games on the Drai line, not more than that. I don't know why since the line was doing well enough.

The problem is that some of those players make mistakes and are never held accountable. Last year I watched time and time again, Letestu/Cagguila make poor plays which resulted in goals against. What would Todd end up doing? Putting them back on the ice with the Oilers in the last minute trying to hold a lead. I dont mind Cagguila as a high energy fourth line player. The issue with him is that hes not a good defensive forward. But McLellan keeps putting him out there. Theres been times this year hes had Cagguila out their on the PK and on 4 on 4. McLellan is so stubborn sometimes. By the way I am not trying to criticize Cagguila, its McLellans job to put players in positions where they have chance to succeed.

I dont know how many times I have seen JP in the past make a mistake (which doesnt even result in a goal against) and he gets benched for it. Happened a lot last year.

Like you said when he came into the league he had good defensive awareness and positioning imo. Hes been really weak on the puck lately, I just think hes overthinking out there because the coaches have him playing scared out there because hes afraid to get benched or scratched.

AvOiL

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2008
Calgary, AB

He basically got 8 periods with Draisaitl. He didn't even play poorly against PIT (until later) - Chiasson just had it going and got the bump. It was after his demotion to the 4th line that JP looked out of sorts in that game. In fact, his drive to the net early in the second period allowed Draisaitl to score EDM's first goal that game. He was removed from the line almost immediately after Chiasson scored his goal 2 minutes later.

JP has not played consistently this season - that much is clear. But the scratching for 4 straight games was ludicrous, considering the play of some others in the lineup every night. And expecting him to put up points playing next to Strome and Lucic isn't fair, given that they have 1 even strength point between the two of them on the season.

I'm hoping JP comes out flying tonight and gets the bump to play with McDavid and Nuge. I really think that line will be a great fit for him - we just need to see it for a prolonged period. He's had one shift with them this season and scored a goal.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Very interesting comments from McDavid on Oilers Now just now:
- says its hard to get the message across as his English still isnt very good
- says Jesse gets it more than he lets on though

Cannot believe it is still a language barrier

For how much we slag TM on how he uses JP, I do think that part of its just that his teammates have a hard time playing with him. I really think the organization needed a better plan for JP. They should of been helping him out with his english a lot better than they did. I do think part of the onus is on JP too as well though. He obviously didnt put enough importance on learning the language. I just think based on where he was drafted, and his consensus going in and out of the draft, it should of been a priority for the organization to help him out as much as they could.

Reactions: Aerrol and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

I think the second part is that he understands what people are saying but can’t express things back to them in English as well.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

I’d actually like to see what his ice time was with Drai in those games. Wasn’t it in the first game they played together that Rattie got injured and Todd put Drai on McDavid’s wing? Which then basically bumped JP out of the rotation. There were also a few other times in all of the games where Drai was put up with McDavid here and there which would have caused JP to miss a shift.

I’m at work and only have my phone with poor internet or I’d do the leg work. But I know the 1st game he only played part of it with Drai and in the 4th game he got demoted due to Chiasson playing really well. To say he got 4 straight games with ample playing time may not be exactly true.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I’d actually like to see what his ice time was with Drai in those games.

Pulju's average TOI (ES as he doesn't play PP with Drai) has been 11:25 and as he's played with Drai for about 1/3 of that, so it makes the average TOI of about 3:45. So if they played one full game together that'd leave about 2 minutes per a game for the other ones.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Pulju's average TOI (ES as he doesn't play PP with Drai) has been 11:25 and as he's played with Drai for about 1/3 of that, so it makes the average TOI of about 3:45. So if they played one full game together that'd leave about 2 minutes per a game for the other ones.

So saying he had ample time for 4 consecutive games is pretty far from the truth.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
So saying he had ample time for 4 consecutive games is pretty far from the truth.

According to the stats I checked it's theoretically impossible. He could maybe have ample time for 2 games, but that would eat all the time away and leave zero minutes for the other games. The stats confirmed what I had understood from this forum.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Whoever said JP doesn't make mistakes is out too lunch.

In every game I have watch he has panicked and turned it over. Passing has been bad etc. He's young and it takes time to get used to the NHL I get it. I have patience for him but let's be honest here he hasn't played very well.

It's the main reason he's been in the press box this year.

He was committing so many terrible turnovers that turned into odd man rushes the other way this season and he was bleeding goals against because of it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
According to the stats I checked it's theoretically impossible. He could maybe have ample time for 2 games, but that would eat all the time away and leave zero minutes for the other games. The stats confirmed what I had understood from this forum.

Yeah he’s played 30:57 with Drai all season 5on5.
They scored one goal, the one where Jesse drove the net and Drai wristed it home. They let up one goal, both Jesse and Drai were late back checking on a rush by Malkin after Drai lost the puck deep in Pitts zone.

I have a hard time trusting some stats sites as they don’t count Drai’s goal as a HDCF, how much more high danger can you get than Drai wide open in the slot with time to pick his spot?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Yeah he’s played 30:57 with Drai all season 5on5.
They scored one goal, the one where Jesse drove the net and Drai wristed it home. They let up one goal, both Jesse and Drai were late back checking on a rush by Malkin after Drai lost the puck deep in Pitts zone.

I have a hard time trusting some stats sites as they don’t count Drai’s goal as a HDCF, how much more high danger can you get than Drai wide open in the slot with time to pick his spot?

Where did you find the exact info? I couldn't find it so I had to make my own calculations, which gave me a few minutes less. Is that the goal where Jesse caught Malkin and played his stick away, but the puck was already elsewhere? Thanks for the info!

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The last goal by Pulju from RNH and McDavid did not look like English was needed

Reactions: nabob

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Yup...I have had posters jump all over me and call me a troll when I dared to suggest that Jesses poor english all these years later was squarely on the player.

I will say it again...if a foreign player knows that his goal is the NHL then if that player is really dedicated and committed to that goal then he KNOWS that english is a priority. According to an ESL friend of mine she says it takes about 6 monts at 3-5 hours a week to learn english. Jesse should have done this at least a year before he was drafted.
Thats approx 4 years ago and yet here we are with Jesse still struggling to communicate effectively in english.

Jesse has no excuses...none, zero, nadda...on why his english is still so poor. Its indefensible yet posters will make up lame excuses and call you names for suggesting the obvious.

So you being called racist just fits with the SJW mindset thats so pervasive these days. No personal accountability required...just point the finger at something/someone else and yell down anyone that dares to challenge that flawed perspective.

Crazy s***.

Reactions: frag2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad