Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion Part 4 [UPD: Nov 24th Recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
By no means am I absolving Tmac. He doesn't even know what a time out is. That said, there were numerous media heads questioning JP's maturity. I've said it in his first season-it looked like the guy was just happy to be here; didnt see the NHL as anything more than 'just a game', not a job. It seems like this year, he's taken a more serious approach.

He's still extremely questionable in our zone, especially without the puck.

He still seems pretty happy to be here. ;)

I do agree that he was overwhelmed in his first season and wasn’t ready for the NHL at all. Pretty similar to a Drai in his first half year.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Are you ****ing kidding me? Do I think he was handled right? No. Is it all on the coach? Not even close. He hasn’t even made a proper effort to learn English FFS. You know the language they communicate on the ice with? He doesn’t finish his hits ever and looks lost in the offensive zone. I do think tmac used him poorly but caaamaan you are grasping for straws here trying to justify a prospect not playing close to good enough.
Your the worst fan, jump on Talbot and now Puljujarvi. You do realize he is 20 yrs old right?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Your the worst fan, jump on Talbot and now Puljujarvi. You do realize he is 20 yrs old right?
I am a bad fan because I jumped on talbot after a year and a half of poor play? All i said about JP is that it’s not just on coaching for him being behind the 8ball. He is also to blame. He could very well turn out to be a good player and that would fantastic. The oilers need him to turn out. Being a realist as an Oiler fan never makes you popular and I’m fine with that.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I like how he has started to use his strengths to help his line create some chaos in the offensive zone. Him and Kharia together been strong at that. Perhaps his future is using size, speed, and stick to force mistakes while having a shot to punish the other team for those same mistakes.

Still find him a hard prospect to predict, things could change big if his lower body becomes strong enough to make his overall size a problem for opposition players.

Reactions: Aerrol

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
All i said about JP is that it’s not just on coaching for him being behind the 8ball. He is also to blame.

Actually that wasn't all you said, but I won't take this farther as there might've been some misunderstanding. Unless I missed something the writer you replied to didn't say it was only on coaching.

You may not know it, but this thread has had it's problems and I've personally enjoyed the recent calmer tone here. That's why some of us may be worried a bit harsher words (that might make a lesser effect somewhere else) stir things in an unnecessary way.

I'm trying to do my part to keep this thread readable and am writing just two messages before stepping aside again. As for your thoughts, I actually understand the logic behind more negative thoughts and am not trying to change anybody's view.

Sometimes I just wonder how so many people have forgotten the level he played at for quite some time at the beginning of last season, so in my opinion the question should not be if he can play at a great level, but instead if he'll reach at least that best level again and if he can keep it consistently enough. It seems he's becoming a more complete player little by little, but his offensive game isn't yet at the level it was in the first weeks/months of his previous season.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Actually that wasn't all you said, but I won't take this farther as there might've been some misunderstanding. Unless I missed something the writer you replied to didn't say it was only on coaching.

You may not know it, but this thread has had it's problems and I've personally enjoyed the recent calmer tone here. That's why some of us may be worried a bit harsher words (that might make a lesser effect somewhere else) stir things in an unnecessary way.

I'm trying to do my part to keep this thread readable and am writing just two messages before stepping aside again. As for your thoughts, I actually understand the logic behind more negative thoughts and am not trying to change anybody's view.

Sometimes I just wonder how so many people have forgotten the level he played at for quite some time at the beginning of last season, so in my opinion the question should not be if he can play at a great level, but instead if he'll reach at least that best level again and if he can keep it consistently enough. It seems he's becoming a more complete player little by little, but his offensive game isn't yet at the level it was in the first weeks/months of his previos season.
Great post haha I’m sorry for stirring the pot like that.

Reactions: GameChanger

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Now my 2nd and last post for now. I see a lot of similarities with the way things went in his last (and only full) FEL season. I don't have a crystall ball, but because of this I do see a reason for some optimism.

He played in Kärpät and the head coach was Lauri Marjamäki, who then went on to the national team and after it to Jokerit Helsinki (KHL). Marjamäki made Kärpät play a pretty boring, defensive oriented game, where the system played a big part. Until Christmas Puljujarvi filled his role very well, but his production and offensive output was a disappointment. At that time he was according to some even challenging Matthews, so the expectations were high. I think it was mainly Puljujarvi pleasing the coach and thus concentrating on the defensive side of the game, but maybe also the pressure from not producing as expected. The passive team system may have played a part too.

Then he played the incredible WJC and he was suddenly like a new boy in the FEL. He was easily one of the best players in the regular season and the playoffs, scoring the 2nd highest points. He did have some raw aspects, but it seemed his high confidence masked them well most of the time.

He's dominated at every junior level and flashed in the NHL at the age of 19. For me it's rather a waiting game at the moment and I hope the path with Hitchcock will go as it went with Marjamäki in the FEL. I think there are some similarities, but we'll find out more within these coming weeks and months. I hope the combination of him getting braver, more confident (a couple of goals should help the most) and receiving more TOI and PP time will eventually do the trick.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'm not wrong at all, my point still stands.

He can't accelerate.

He can't shoot.

He can't hit.

I don't think you know what moving goalposts is, I'm not changing any focus on my argument. My point is... He stinks.

He can accelerate and is one of the better skaters on the team, he can shoot and has one of the stronger shots on the team, he doesn't need to hit

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Linear and Studz

VincenzosOil

Nov 2, 2008
I am a bad fan because I jumped on talbot after a year and a half of poor play? All i said about JP is that it’s not just on coaching for him being behind the 8ball. He is also to blame. He could very well turn out to be a good player and that would fantastic. The oilers need him to turn out. Being a realist as an Oiler fan never makes you popular and I’m fine with that.

Yes, you being a realist is what it’s all about when you imply to have experience and first hand knowledge in learning a second language outside your native country. Please explain what effort is required to learn English and how you know JP has not made the “proper effort”?

“Are you ****ing kidding me? Do I think he was handled right? No. Is it all on the coach? Not even close. He hasn’t even made a proper effort to learn English FFS.”

Reactions: Aerrol and Studz

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

No one said it’s all on coaching. Your need to misrepresent the posts of others is a quick way to lose respect.

Reactions: Aerrol and Studz

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
No one said it’s all on coaching. Your need to misrepresent the posts of others is a quick way to lose respect.

Wrong. Many, you included, have blamed "Oilers development" and Tmac for where he is at. For you to say this poster inferred more than that totally contradicts 95% of your posts on the matter

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He was using his body more tonight. Maybe starting to realize he's big and other players have a tough time handling him.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yes, you being a realist is what it’s all about when you imply to have experience and first hand knowledge in learning a second language outside your native country. Please explain what effort is required to learn English and how you know JP has not made the “proper effort”?

“Are you ****ing kidding me? Do I think he was handled right? No. Is it all on the coach? Not even close. He hasn’t even made a proper effort to learn English FFS.”
While not a verified source didn't someone come on the board claiming to be a family friend of one of Pulju's English teachers growing up and it was alleged that Pulju stated he was going to play in the NHL and didn't need to learn English cause whatever team drafted him would just hire a personal translator for him.

Aside from that questionable rumor English is part of the curriculum in Finland it's odd for a kid Jesse's age to not be able to speak English in general and he's gotten personal tutoring on top of whatever he learned in school.

Reactions: VincenzosOil

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Wrong. Many, you included, have blamed "Oilers development" and Tmac for where he is at. For you to say this poster inferred more than that totally contradicts 95% of your posts on the matter

I wish you could just stay out of it or if you really can't do it please try to choose your words carefully. This thread is going to turn to pure ***t again this way. According to the GDT Pulju actually had a good game and some very promising shifts, so I personally would be glad to read a positive comment from you (and a couple of other of the harshest critics) at least once in a while. Trust me I don't mean to offend you or anything here.

Last edited:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
He's so good on the forecheck. And great defensively too. The offence will come eventually I believe.

Under Hitch.. he hasn't looked lost on the ice like he did before. I'm liking his progress since Hitch has been here. I think playing with Nuge has helped Pulju as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
2016-JP is coming on, can just feel it..
2017-Its coming, he's almost there, just around the corner
2018 Jp is coming, he's so close, he's just figuring it out..

Man, I've defended this guy relentlessly for the season. But he's not got much touch. Can play a physical game but you don't spend a 4th pick to get another version of Khaira. With Khaira strangely being MUCH more prolific.

JP manages to be the worst player on any topsix line he's on. Invariably. Khaira should be the one looking out of place but Khaira is actually driving a lot of the plays. JP is being difficult to play against, and playing 200ft hockey. But bringing energy and not much else in 12mins/night. Needs to start getting something done.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
His English has actually gotten A LOT better since he came over here

I personally know some Finns who studied English for years, but it still took them a long time abroad to be able to put it together. Nowadays a lot of youngsters spend a lot of time by the internet and English programs, but for the ones spending their time on other things (such as hockey) it can actually be very tricky. After all we're not talking about Swedish, which is much closer to English.

If we go back 10-20 years it was very common for Finns to be unable to say anything sensible in English (unless they were drunk, when all the communication problems disappeared). Nowadays we take speaking English for granted, but forget that there are people who live in another world and concentrate on other things such as hockey.

I do believe Pulju would himself isn't happy about the way the language part went so for sure he could've done more, but basically the whole language part didn't need to be this big of a problem as he's understood English well enough for quite a while already.

Reactions: Aerrol

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I wish you could just stay out of it or if you really can't do it please try to choose your words carefully. This thread is hoing to turn to pure ***t again this way. According to the GDT Pulju actually had a good game and some very promising shifts, so I personally would be glad to read a positive comment from you (and a couple of other of the harshest critics) at least once in a while. Trust me I don't mean to offend you or anything here.

I thought sticking up for posters who share a "calculated" opinion of a player is a positive? FYI, threads go to s*** when you are called hater, troll and a liar for having an opinion, or in some cases, being downright correct on a series of events

Reactions: Drivesaitl

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
My last post for now. I feel pretty confident with Hitch. With TM I felt quite a few times he pulled the rug from under Pulju when he seemed to start going. I would've loved to see how the season would've gone if Pulju would've been used properly on the PP when he was scoring really nicely. The end of the season was quiet and Pulju wasn't anything like a ready product, but a good coach could've still used him better.

Now I feel confident with Hitch. Pulju is still playing lowish minutes and he hasn't good PP time, but from what I've read and seen he's getting better slowly but surely. He's now adjusted to the new coach and hopefully feels he's been a secure part in a line that has played their part in making the team succeed like it's done. I see a lot of positive signs for things to click sometime soon enough, though it may take some time to see all the potential there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad