Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion Part 4 [UPD: Nov 24th Recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Too much responsibility too soon IMO. Let him get going at ES and get some looks on the PK where he could see some breakaways and 2 on 1's and go from there. Hitch wants him playing 16-17 minutes a night so sooner or later he will get PP time. It's amazing how much Hitch wants Jesse to succeed and is willing to put in the work. Jesse's English must've really improved by leaps and bounds on the flight to San Jose because it was a huge problem before and hasn't been mentioned once since.

Haha so many examples of how Todd was a terrible coach and communicator.

Close mindedness and stubbornness are not good traits for a coach. They are two of the biggest personality traits of McLellan.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'd like to properly take credit for being one of the first (if not the first) to call out TMac for the moron of a coach he was. :D

Maybe those are too strong of words, but he's not a good coach in so many aspects that I saw from very early on. I even said many times, during the successful year, we were winning mostly in spite of his lack of coaching and game management chops, certainly not because of it. With Hitch behind the bench, I would bet almost anything we beat Anaheim instead of falling to pieces the way we did when things got tough. He was not able (or capable) to rally the troops to get the job done.

That said, he seems like a great guy and I wish him the best. I'd have a beer with him anytime and talk hockey. I'm sure he'd be a good coach in the AHL and other levels. He's just not a top level NHL coach. Most coaches are not. He still did very well for himself and made himself a ton of cash, and have to respect him for finding a way to do that. Hope he finds success elsewhere. Maybe he'd be a great assistant coach on another team. I mean, I can't think of any aspect he's great at that would lend credence to that notion, but we all learn and get better at things, so anything is possible.

If anyone has an opening for a drummer in an air band, Todd is your guy.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
If anyone has an opening for a drummer in an air band, Todd is your guy.

Well, I am a part-time guitarist. I guess it's time to get the band back together, this time featuring the Koala himself on drums -- Todd McLellan!

I can't see how this couldn't possibly be a massive success. His air drumming skills look divine. Dare I even say, a gift straight from the gods. I think you found his true calling. We're headed to the stars, baby!

Reactions: McFuhryous

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Total hockey?

Oh God. Does anyone remember that one zany/crazy poster we had who continually posted about his total hockey system? If that's what he called it?

Man.

Reactions: Aerrol

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
This guy stinks. Seems like he has no acceleration either, every time he touches the puck, it’s been removed by an opposing player.

Sell high and forget about him.

Reactions: McDaddy

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I was glad to see him finally getting an assist. He has had some pretty bad puck luck to not get any assists even though he has made many high danger plays.
He had some nice moments with Byfuglien, wrestling with him near the boards, chasing him, even throwing a kind-of-a-hit. Also had a few nice defensive plays: the boxscore reads 2 blocks and one takeaway.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Jesse and Jujhar were the only guys on the >50% side of scoring chances and high danger chances last night 5v5. Was a decent game for that line. Nuge unfortunately got caught out there with the 4th line wingers and that was his worst time of the night.

Reactions: Aerrol

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm a Pulju supporter but I don't think having him on the PK is a good idea yet. He gets a little lost covering the point man in the defensive zone and that will likely get exploited if he's on the PK. Once he dials that in and starts shutting down passing lanes he'll start causing more turnovers with his reach but he's not there yet.

No reason why they can't use him as the left side shooter on PP2 though. Just need somebody who can get the pass through the box to him.

I wouldn't expect Hitch to put him there for game if that's true in practise.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Stick with him for a little longer. He is only 20 and is still learning English.

If they trade him now I can see him being a stud when he is 22-24

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Stick with him for a little longer. He is only 20 and is still learning English.

If they trade him now I can see him being a stud when he is 22-24
I don't see anything that would make him a stud.
He can't accelerate.
He can't shoot.
He can't hit.

It's like everything he could do when he was younger, he's incapable of doing against NHL players.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
More like you are seeing what you want to see.
Everything I see JP get the back, he does nothing with it. And I'm HOPING he does something.

The back?

Made Morrisey look pretty bad on the play where he set up Khaira last night. But I’m guessing you’ll say that was nothing.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
The back?

Made Morrisey look pretty bad on the play where he set up Khaira last night. But I’m guessing you’ll say that was nothing.
The puck I meant. Typo.
Yea that play for the goal was neat, but I would expect something like that every game for me to change my mind.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't see anything that would make him a stud.
He can't accelerate.
He can't shoot.
He can't hit.

It's like everything he could do when he was younger, he's incapable of doing against NHL players.

What nonsense, lol. His shooting aim is off for sure, but hitting isn't his game - he'll learn to grind along the boards (which he did well against Buff last night FYI), and his acceleration is fine. He needs to learn to read the play. You're bitter that the Oilers have failed to develop him thus far and it looks like another disappointing high pick, and so you're seeing what you want to see. Like most top picks, even if he never develops into a reliable NHLer, he'll always have very obvious NHL-level skills. Yak had them, Pulju has them. You're completely blind if you can't see them.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
What nonsense, lol. His shooting aim is off for sure, but hitting isn't his game - he'll learn to grind along the boards (which he did well against Buff last night FYI), and his acceleration is fine. He needs to learn to read the play. You're bitter that the Oilers have failed to develop him thus far and it looks like another disappointing high pick, and so you're seeing what you want to see. Like most top picks, even if he never develops into a reliable NHLer, he'll always have very obvious NHL-level skills. Yak had them, Pulju has them. You're completely blind if you can't see them.
So how many years will have to pass before you say “ok he isn’t an NHL player”?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
So how many years will have to pass before you say “ok he isn’t an NHL player”?

When he still isn't contributing as a regular roster player by age 26 or so. And that's moving the goalposts, your post read "I don't see anything that would make him a stud", which is very different from being able to put it together as a star. Pulju has the skating, size, strength, shot power to very clearly have the potential to be a star. His problem has been, and remains, his inability to consistently contribute.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
He's still a work in progress. I just don't have any high expectations for him after this long I pray he puts it all together. He has the tools. Hard part is getting them all to work at the same time.

For now, I see a little bit too much MPS in him in terms of his intensity. He misses checks, he spins off checks like he used to.

He look "off" when he receives a pass in the neutral zone. He looks off balance still.

If he can improve his board work that will help a TON. he gets knocked off of the puck way too easily.

I am a die heard fan as well. I support him and hope to hell he improves and exceeds everybody's expectations.

Basically, I don't think I would notice that he wasn't in the lineup if he was replaced by guys like Reider, Cagguila, etc.

I am no expert. Just my 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad