Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion Part 4 [UPD: Nov 24th Recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like Hitchcock's lines. This new line of Khaira-Nuge-Puljujarvi is legit.

And I think all these lines besides the top line will have growing pains, and that's why the top line is leaned on too much, and I think that will be temporary.

If the combos he picks are good, eventually they will produce goals.

And yes, I even say that about the Lucic line. At times I see good things from them and I think we need to keep that going.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

And I think all these lines besides the top line will have growing pains, and that's why the top line is leaned on too much, and I think that will be temporary.

And yes, I even say that about the Lucic line. At times I see good things from them and I think we need to keep that going.
I don't see Khaira working for more than a couple games.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sadly Khaira works better than Puljujarvi on Nuge's line
Nuge has been doing the heavy lifting on that line most nights. Pulju has shown some glimpses though.

I was just thinking, Pulju is and will be better than Yakupov but I think the similarity with their being all over the place makes Nuge a good center for him as he has played with that kind of player before.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nuge has been doing the heavy lifting on that line most nights. Pulju has shown some glimpses though.

I was just thinking, Pulju is and will be better than Yakupov but I think the similarity with their being all over the place makes Nuge a good center for him as he has played with that kind of player before.
The line produces more when Nuge has guys like Khaira and Chaisson as wingers. IMO Pulju should get a look with McDavid now. If he fails there then should send him back to the AHL for rest of the year.

Drai-McD-Pulju

Or if going 3C deep:
Zykov-McD-Pulju
Reider-Drai-Caggiula
Khaira-Nuge-Chaisson
I-10-TT line

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The line produces more when Nuge has guys like Khaira and Chaisson as wingers. IMO Pulju should get a look with McDavid now. If he fails there then should send him back to the AHL for rest of the year.

Drai-McD-Pulju

Or if going 3C deep:
Zykov-McD-Pulju
Reider-Drai-Caggiula
Khaira-Nuge-Chaisson
I-10-TT line
Dude....we barely score as is. Spreading the offense won't help that lol

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Dude....we barely score as is. Spreading the offense won't help that lol
Easier matchup for Drai or Nuge line so we might actually score more.
Chaisson has scored 0 ES points playing on the top line and was pretty good playing in lower lines earlier.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Easier matchup for Drai or Nuge line so we might actually score more.
Chaisson has scored 0 ES points playing on the top line and was pretty good playing in lower lines earlier.
That doesn't work when you have a waiver pickup and Puljujarvi trying to play with McDavids high minutes every night and getting blown up on the daily.

When you have the worst wingers in the NHL, you don't try and run three lines. There is maybe...2-3 teams in the league with the players to do so.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That doesn't work when you have a waiver pickup and Puljujarvi trying to play with McDavids high minutes every night and getting blown up on the daily.

When you have the worst wingers in the NHL, you don't try and run three lines. There is maybe...2-3 teams in the league with the players to do so.
Well we have a PTO signee playing on top line right now. It doesn't matter how we get em. McD can be double shifted on Drai or Nuge's lines occasionally. The trio would get 20+ mins each even if they are on diff lines.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well we have a PTO signee playing on top line right now. It doesn't matter how we get em. McD can be double shifted on Drai or Nuge's lines occasionally. The trio would get 20+ mins each even if they are on diff lines.
I'd agree with you if we had more than 2 useful offensive wingers on the entire team.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'd agree with you if we had more than 2 useful offensive wingers on the entire team.
Reider was looking decent.. Caggiula,Khaira,Chaisson are decent.. This being the Pulju thread ,we have to consider him in the mix as well. Oh well.. something that can be tried.. I just don't see anything good in our top 9.
Nuge-Khaira chemistry maybe.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Wasn’t a troll post at all but keep whining.

You have yet to make a single decent post in this thread so you’re not one to talk.

Believe he got demoted in the last 5 min of the 3rd. Could you look that up? Don't want to be accused of dishonesty again..you're the expert

Reactions: TheNumber4

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Believe he got demoted in the last 5 min of the 3rd. Could you look that up? Don't want to be accused of dishonesty again..you're the expert

Nuge got bumped up to the top line. It was actually Chiasson that got demoted and then the 2nd line didn’t have a center. Good try though, you still haven’t said a single honest thing in this thread.

Team wins, Puljujarvi plays pretty good...and you still attempt to make him look bad. It’s f***ing pathetic on your part. Give it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: onetweasy

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Looked like Hitchcock wanted to load the top line to try and get that game tying goal.

Which is very understandable. Puljujarvi played lower minutes in this game but that's how it goes sometimes with players who don't really get PP time. For comparison Nuge played a bit over 9 minutes on the PP, while Pulju just over one.

From what I read (couldn't watch this again as I'm actually trying to sleep a bit at nights now) this was an okay game for Jesse, but not as good as some previous ones. In addition to his own performances the low TOI may have played a part too. At least the 2nd line has obviously looked good for several games and the team is doing well so hopefully he can keep growing and also producing sometime soon enough. It should be easier when he gets/deserves more PP time.

Reactions: Aerrol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The one thing I did like and I agree with cyclone that it probably doesn't last, but Jujhar brought a good element to that line. A big body that bangs his way into the tough areas and pops that puck out for the skilled guys.

Hopefully Jujhar can last, but if not that's the type of player that line can use.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Yup Khaira looks like he belongs in the top6

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
3 scoring lines with McDavid, Drai and RNH down the middle would work. Drai and RNH lines taking on easier match ups. We are only missing one good winger for McDavid to help take on the heavy load.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
3 scoring lines with McDavid, Drai and RNH down the middle would work. Drai and RNH lines taking on easier match ups. We are only missing one good winger for McDavid to help take on the heavy load.

Caggiula-McDavid-Rattie
Rieder-Drai-Chiasson
Khaira-RNH-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian

Reactions: VainGretzky

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
If you count on career AHLers and bottom sixers to have career years to save your job, then you have done a bad job and should be fired.

Looking at that Roster minus Mcdavid RNH and Drai, its basically an AHL team. None of those guys would make most teams rosters. Rieder yes, maybe Caggiulla, that's it. The guy having a great start was here on a PTO and got lucky.This roster looks as bad as it did 10 years ago, remove Mcdavid and i would argue it looks worse than 10 years ago.

To have any chance to restore some credibility and start not sucking as bad. Puljujarvi has to develop as a legit top 6 threat and be as good or better than Drai. Otherwise they are stuck in mediocrity again for the next 5 years.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I was pretty pleased with Pulju last game. He’s continuing to improve in all 3 zones, and that’s about all you can ask of a player. He had a very active stick again last night. We just need him to be able to do more with the puck off the rush. He’s got size and speed. He either needs to be able to drive the center and get that big shot off, or work on his passing to make the dman give him a little more space. But still, pretty happy with his play under Hitch.

I don't see Khaira working for more than a couple games.

Disagree. Khaira is one of those guys who fits in pretty well at literally any forward spot that’s not top 6 center. If he keeps his feet moving and uses his size, he’s a good complimentary winger in the top 6. You need those guys who get in the corner and come out with the puck.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If you count on career AHLers and bottom sixers to have career years to save your job, then you have done a bad job and should be fired.

Looking at that Roster minus Mcdavid RNH and Drai, its basically an AHL team. None of those guys would make most teams rosters. Rieder yes, maybe Caggiulla, that's it. The guy having a great start was here on a PTO and got lucky.This roster looks as bad as it did 10 years ago, remove Mcdavid and i would argue it looks worse than 10 years ago.

To have any chance to restore some credibility and start not sucking as bad. Puljujarvi has to develop as a legit top 6 threat and be as good or better than Drai. Otherwise they are stuck in mediocrity again for the next 5 years.
Take away Maklin, Crosby and Kessel and the same is probably true for the Pens

Reactions: onetweasy

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I've been a big detractor of his, but he has looked a little better since coming back up. A bit more determination and "drive" in his game I've noticed. He still doesn't look like a guy who deserved to go where he did in the draft. At some point though, you can't hold a player's draft position against him.
The other side of that coin though is that when you can no longer hold a players draft position against him, you can't also simultaneously use it as an excuse to play him endlessly in the top 6 and demand PP time.

If we're being perfectly honest, the only reason why Puljujarvi has ever gotten anything more than a cup of coffee in the NHL is because of his draft position, and his draft position alone. His draft position is the only thing he's got going for him at this point.

He doesn't belong in this league.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
The other side of that coin though is that when you can no longer hold a players draft position against him, you can't also simultaneously use it as an excuse to play him endlessly in the top 6 and demand PP time.

If we're being perfectly honest, the only reason why Puljujarvi has ever gotten anything more than a cup of coffee in the NHL is because of his draft position, and his draft position alone. His draft position is the only thing he's got going for him at this point.

It sure helps him, but it's definitely not the only thing going for him.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

Uh oh. Some may ask for not only a thread ban but an outright ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad